PDA

View Full Version : What's the best build for a Temp HP support?

ChaseC311
2023-10-01, 02:01 AM
I always wanted to play a support character in 5e who was centered around mitigating damage via temp hp. Hypothetically speaking, what would be the best way of achieving that build? Some ideas I have in mind include twilight clerics, bards, inspiring leader, chef, heroism, etc etc

I'm not even sure if it's entirely possible to make a good support who focuses solely on temp hp without using traditional healing spells, but any and all help is appreciated!

kazaryu
2023-10-01, 02:17 AM
I always wanted to play a support character in 5e who was centered around mitigating damage via temp hp. Hypothetically speaking, what would be the best way of achieving that build? Some ideas I have in mind include twilight clerics, bards, inspiring leader, chef, heroism, etc etc

I'm not even sure if it's entirely possible to make a good support who focuses solely on temp hp without using traditional healing spells, but any and all help is appreciated!

twilight cleric. period.

any levels you spend in any other class reduce the effectiveness of their twilight sanctuary. so thats probably not something you want to do outside of very very late in the leveling process.

stoutstien
2023-10-01, 07:46 AM
Artillerist artificer and glamour bards are both top tier THP generators and have additional mitigation tools to stretch them out even further.

Kane0
2023-10-01, 07:54 AM
Your best bets in no particular order are twilight cleric, artillerist artificer, glamour bard and inspiring leader, but you can also find a smattering of options in glory paladin, celestial warlock and shepherd druid. Tundra storm barb also technically counts i suppose.

Honorable mentions to abjurer wizard and clockwork sorc too.

KorvinStarmast
2023-10-01, 08:40 AM
Artillerist artificer and glamour bards are both top tier THP generators and have additional mitigation tools to stretch them out even further. Yes, that Temp HP cannon feature is a little OP. And that little booger has an AC of 18. :smallyuk: Won't comment on twilight cleric.

RogueJK
2023-10-01, 11:14 AM
Yep. Twilight Cleric is the strongest Temp HP generator, with Artillerist Artificer next, followed quite a bit further by Glamour Bard, then even further by Shepherd Druid.

But keep in mind that Temp HP doesn't stack, so I wouldn't invest too heavily in multiple feats/abilities that generate it (like trying to make a Twilight/Artillerist multiclass with the Inspiring Leader and Chef feats). Using Inspiring Leader to start them off after a rest, plus a class ability to add more once those are depleted, is enough.

If you want to add on additional HP from there, consider grabbing the Metamagic Adept feat for Extend Spell and 2x Sorcery Points. This would allow you to use remaining spell slots at the end of the day to cast Upcast Extended Aid twice, to boost up to 6x of your party members' max HP for 16 hours (to cover 8 hours resting + 8 hours adventuring the next day). Aid does stack with Temp HP, and this is a good way to utilize otherwise unused spell slots just before a long rest.

Greywander
2023-10-01, 02:34 PM
Twilight cleric for raw power, Artillerist artificer for longevity. The cleric's effect is the most potent, but only lasts 1 minute and they can use it at most three times a day, and only if they don't use their channel divinity on something else. It's pretty trivial for the artificer to have their cannon out for every encounter, and the cannon lasts for an entire hour every time they send it out.

If you want to focus primarily on temp HP generation as your primary schtick, I'd recommend going with artificer just so you can insure you always have access to your main gimmick (so long as you have spell slots left).

Dualight
2023-10-01, 03:56 PM
Twilight cleric for raw power, Artillerist artificer for longevity. The cleric's effect is the most potent, but only lasts 1 minute and they can use it at most three times a day, and only if they don't use their channel divinity on something else. It's pretty trivial for the artificer to have their cannon out for every encounter, and the cannon lasts for an entire hour every time they send it out.

If you want to focus primarily on temp HP generation as your primary schtick, I'd recommend going with artificer just so you can insure you always have access to your main gimmick (so long as you have spell slots left).

Channel Divinity is a short rest resource, so the number of uses goes up with each short rest the party gets per adventuring day. The overall reasoning holds up, but the number of uses of Channel Divinity is a lot higher than the above makes it seem.

Greywander
2023-10-01, 08:27 PM
Channel Divinity is a short rest resource, so the number of uses goes up with each short rest the party gets per adventuring day. The overall reasoning holds up, but the number of uses of Channel Divinity is a lot higher than the above makes it seem.
Ah, you are correct. For some reason, I was under the impression that paladins got one Channel Divinity per short rest while clerics got up to three per long rest, but clerics do indeed recharge on a short rest as well.

RogueJK
2023-10-01, 08:29 PM
Ah, you are correct. For some reason, I was under the impression that paladins got one Channel Divinity per short rest while clerics got up to three per long rest, but clerics do indeed recharge on a short rest as well.

In addition, Clerics get to use their CD twice per short rest starting at Level 6.

Skrum
2023-10-02, 07:30 AM
Twilight cleric is absolutely broken, so if you want the best option, that's it (think for a second what Twilight Sanctuary + Circle of Power, available starting at character level 9, will do to the durability of the party. It's outrageous).

If you want to play a solid class but *not* break the game, go for one of the other options listed here. I agree though with temporary hit points having diminishing returns - there's very little reason to have many sources of temps, as they don't stack.

Mastikator
2023-10-02, 08:28 AM

A thing worth saying about the artillerist's longevity is that their eldritch cannon only lasts 1 hour, and need spell slots to re-summon after the first of the day is used. But it is also versatile, sometimes you need a flamethrower or a force ballista more than temp HP. (and well worth the 1st level spell slot)

Blatant Beast
2023-10-02, 08:29 AM
Celestial Warlocks are also very good Healers/THP generators….plus they make excellent s’mores with Conjure Bonfire.

I will second how ridiculously strong Circle of Power being a Twilight Cleric Domain spell is.

RogueJK
2023-10-02, 09:51 AM
Celestial Warlocks are also very good Healers/THP generators…

Yes, although their Temp HP generation doesn't come online until Level 10. Since they're wanting to make a character based around Temp HP, they probably don't want to wait all the way until Level 10 to achieve their primary purpose...

It's also not quite as good as the Inspiring Leader feat, since only you get the full amount of Temp HP, and everyone else gets roughly half. (Though it does save you an ASI.)

stoutstien
2023-10-02, 10:13 AM
A thing worth saying about the artillerist's longevity is that their eldritch cannon only lasts 1 hour, and need spell slots to re-summon after the first of the day is used. But it is also versatile, sometimes you need a flamethrower or a force ballista more than temp HP. (and well worth the 1st level spell slot)

An hour is enough time to dol out max THP to a semi large army and otherwise you still have a mini tank with decent AC and a ton of immunities to annoy the enemy with.

Blatant Beast
2023-10-02, 10:36 AM
Yes, although their Temp HP generation doesn't come online until Level 10. Since they're wanting to make a character based around Temp HP, they probably don't want to wait all the way until Level 10 to achieve their primary purpose...

It's also not quite as good as the Inspiring Leader feat, since only you get the full amount of Temp HP, and everyone else gets roughly half. (Though it does save you an ASI.)

Inspiring Leader and Celestial Warlock work well in tandem.
The 10th level Celestial Warlock ability triggers upon conclusion of a rest, and one nice aspect about Inspiring Leader, is the THP timer for each target is Separate…which means that unlike Twilight Sanctuary, targets that already have THP, can be excluded, and Inspiring Leader can be used when the target will benefit from it.

That said..the power creep of Temporary Hit Points is clear.

Inspiring Leader is first with the next more powerful THP focus being the Celestial Warlock, which in turn is supplanted by the Artillerist, whom then has their THP lunch stolen by the Twilight Cleric.

A Celestial Warlock takes some skill to use, like a manual transmission.
A Twilight Cleric doesn’t take much skill to play…..Flight, Initiative spiking, and a baseline CD that acts like Aura of Vitality, (arguably even better) and Calm Emotions.

Easy mode achieved.

Pex
2023-10-02, 11:36 AM
Divine Soul Sorcerer with Inspiring Leader and Extend Aid.

Mastikator
2023-10-02, 11:59 AM
An hour is enough time to dol out max THP to a semi large army and otherwise you still have a mini tank with decent AC and a ton of immunities to annoy the enemy with.

Yeah it's pretty good for worldbuilding. A single level 3 artificer can basically give a huge boost to an army before engagement with the enemy army.

Chronos
2023-10-02, 03:45 PM
Abjuration wizard is probably also worth mentioning. The Ward isn't technically temporary HP, but that's good, because it means it stacks with them. After level... 6, I think? You can share it with your allies, and there are multiple ways to recharge it for free.