PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate LA+ for... (Note, idle curious question)

Stam
2007-12-09, 03:29 PM
...a Choker?

MM 3.5 Choker, unmodified except to add as caveat that Quickness does not stack with the Haste spell or similar effects, and (therefore) they cannot get more than one extra attack action a round. (Either through the extra SA, or through the extra attack in a Full Attack that Haste offers.)

martyboy74
2007-12-09, 03:42 PM
There's a reason that the choker doesn't have an LA. Quickness is so incredibly powerful that you would have to have the LA so high it would barely have any pit points compared to other party members.

However, if you did insist on having one, I would place it as a 5 or 6. On the other hand, I might be over LAing.

tyckspoon
2007-12-09, 03:58 PM
I would probably place it at about +6, for an ECL 9 character. Quickness *is* powerful, yes, but the worst of the brokenness from it will come from extra spellcasting; melee characters can't use it for much worse than they could already achieve with a pouncing charger, although the Choker's stat mods are much more favorable to a melee character than a spellcaster. You could get a nice CoDzilla out of the choker, but you'll be 4-5 spell levels behind a non LA'd race. It'd be all kinds of useful as one side of a gestalt, but that's gestalt; you're already agreeing to an unusually high-power game there.

I don't think there's really that much trouble to letting the Choker be a player race, with suitable LA; most of the borkened Quickness cheese is achieved by finding a way to transform into a Choker and use (Su) abilities without having to sacrifice your own mental stats.

Stam
2007-12-10, 09:18 AM
Let me rephrase, then...

Assuming the player in question is not a twink and will not attempt to cram Cleric or Druid onto a race that's mismatched for either, but instead makes a good background to explain how said Choker ended up a semi-civilized melee and/or rogue-type...

...what would be an appropriate LA+ then?