PDA

View Full Version : Help with items for character

Zenos
2007-12-09, 04:17 PM
I am making a level 20 Heroic Warrior (see the link on my sig), and i've got lots of stuff that boosts strenght, gives me insane AC, a major cloak of displacement.. But I've still got 40k gold pieces left for equipment, what do you think I should use it for?

Notice that I only have access to core, SRD and homebrew.

Forrestfire
2007-12-09, 04:33 PM
do you have a Hewards Handy Haversack? that item is really good for any character.

Zenos
2007-12-09, 04:36 PM
Hmm, yeah, I did forget those carrying items.

martyboy74
2007-12-09, 04:39 PM
What items do you have? Knowing those is very important for determining what you need.

Saph
2007-12-09, 04:46 PM
Mobility is very important. If you've taken care of your attack power, saves, ability boosts, and AC, the next priority is getting something that lets you fly or teleport.

- Saph

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-09, 04:48 PM
Mobility is very important. If you've taken care of your attack power, saves, ability boosts, and AC, the next priority is getting something that lets you fly or teleport.

- Saph

Heck, why settle for just one?

Zenos
2007-12-09, 05:09 PM
Yeah, fly to get at those lousy magicians. He's got an AC of 40, nuff said about that. He is a STR-specialized HW, with a +5 vorpal greatsword, +5 heavily fortified chain shirt, bracers of armour +8(Although it is an armour bonus, we just rule it to add on to bonus from conventional armour), amulet of natural armour +5, ring of protection +5, DEX 14, a belt of giants strenght +6, major cloak of displacement, ring of regeneration and a pair of wands of web and a wand of dispel magic.

Feats: Power attack, dodge, mobility, combat reflexes, spring attack, improved initiative, the Strike True feat that appears on the HW thread, combat expertise, whirlwind attack, improved unarmed combat, improved grapple, leap attack.

Chronicled
2007-12-09, 06:36 PM
Seconded on the Boots of Flying or somesuch. An item to give you True Seeing is also very important. If you don't have a caster buddy to give you Mindblank, then you should get an item for that as well. Getting some one-shot items can prove very handy (Potions of Enlarge Person, Quall's Feather Token: Tree, etc). Having some ranged options at your disposal never hurts. Boots of Speed are quite nice if you don't use the Boots of Flying as your main source of flight. The Figurines of Wonderous Power are great for getting an ally. Getting an Animated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated) shield is a great idea--while you're at it, giving said shield the Heartening (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#heartening) property is a cheap way to possibly save your character's life.

Since you have the SRD at your disposal, I HIGHLY recommend that you get rid of the Vorpal effect on your weapon. Replace it with the Coup de Grace (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#coupdeGrace) weapon property (it's in the Psionic Items category, but isn't inherently psionic). It'll activate 5% more often (using your 19-20 crit instead of natural 20 only), be usable against creatures immune to crits (and there's a lot of these), and be usable against creatures that don't mind losing their heads (hydras, etc).

Also, getting more special enhancements on the weapon (Keen, Lucky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#lucky), Holy, Spell-Storing, Soulbreaker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#soulbreaker), etc) rather than giving it higher enhancement value tends to be the way to go. Get a caster buddy to cast Greater Magic Weapon on it to make it +5 AND have 9 enhancement levels of special effects on it (it still has to be +1 to give special enhancements to). Make sure you have some locked gauntlets so that someone can't just disarm you of your super-awesome sword.

Furthermore, getting more stat-boosting items is a good idea. Make your chain shirt mithril to increase its max dex bonus, and get a Dex-boosting item. A Cloak/Vest of Resistance +5 is a great idea. An item of +6 Con would not be amiss.

martyboy74
2007-12-09, 07:17 PM
What books do you have access to? If you have SpC/CDiv, then creating ring if lesser vigor is much more effective (and cheaper) than a ring of regeneration.

kjones
2007-12-09, 07:28 PM
How, exactly, are you using those wands? Is this a class with UMD?

Chronicled
2007-12-10, 03:31 AM
What books do you have access to? If you have SpC/CDiv, then creating ring if lesser vigor is much more effective (and cheaper) than a ring of regeneration.

He said SRD/Core only.

TheOOB
2007-12-10, 03:39 AM
scarab of protection is a must. It's fairly cheep, and anything that prevents death effects is a good buy in my book.

Zenos
2007-12-10, 09:20 AM
Many good suggestions, but remember that he can use heroic points to avoid spells that have any direct effect on him, so he only has to fear being crushed to death or something, I probably forgot to mention that that one use of heroic points is a retroactive action. That coup the grace weapon sounded sweet, and yeah, I should probably rely on a caster to make sure my weapon has a good enchantment bonus AND lots of cool skills. I completely forgot an animated shield, how stupid of me. Otherwise, boots of flying and something to give me true seeing, sounds good to me.

How, exactly, are you using those wands? Is this a class with UMD?

Yes, this class has UMD, I am mainly planning on using dispel magic for disabling magic defenses and flying spells and such (and if I roll good on dispel check, lolz, drop Wiz). Since we're hopefully getting complete arcane and ToB for christmas, I think he can be accompanied by a bard holding a megaphone shouting encouraging stuff at people and possibily a transmuter wiz. The wands of web are for inconveniencing enemies when I don't want to waste valuable heroic points.

Grynning
2007-12-10, 09:37 AM
I may have missed it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Ring of Freedom of Movement. Those are damn near essential (Getting grappled is BAD. Getting entangled, rooted, etc. is BAD). Just my two cents (or exactly 40k GP, which is what the ring costs). Grabbing immunity to mind-affecting stuff somehow is also always handy. Of course, if you can rely on your spellcasters to keep the buffs up, buying more mobility stuff is the best plan, as others have mentioned.

Zenos
2007-12-10, 10:27 AM
I may have missed it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Ring of Freedom of Movement. Those are damn near essential (Getting grappled is BAD. Getting entangled, rooted, etc. is BAD). Just my two cents (or exactly 40k GP, which is what the ring costs). Grabbing immunity to mind-affecting stuff somehow is also always handy. Of course, if you can rely on your spellcasters to keep the buffs up, buying more mobility stuff is the best plan, as others have mentioned.

Well, you HAVE read about how the HW uses heroic points to be effectively immune to spells, right? Anyways, I've got only 14k left, I switched the +5 vorpal greatsword for a +1 coup de grace, speedy and keen one. I also bought winged boots.
And he is a STR specialized HW with improved grapple too, so I am not too worried about being grappled. His effective STR score is 34, when you count the belt.

Keld Denar
2007-12-10, 10:30 AM

Yeah, I'd nix the RoRegen for a RoFoM. FoM is huge for a melee character, since there are lots of things that mess up your movement that don't allow saves (Solid Fog being the biggest). Reread RoRegen. Its regen rate is so slow, its only really saves you from burning ooc healing on the character. Its really not a very good item.

From MIC, get a 3rd Eye Clarity. Its simply amazing for a fighter type. It takes your face slot, so no magic goggles/lenses, but you don't have anything there anyway. Its got a static bonus to will saves vs mind affecting spells (lots of these) and a once/day get out of dominate ability. Dirt Cheap. Buy 2-3 if needed for multiple encounter protection.

Gloves of Fortunate Striking let you reroll 1 attack roll per day. This is kind of nice because no mater what your AB is, you will roll a 1, and 1 always misses. This is a once a day "get out of 1 free" card. Dirt Cheap. Buy 2-3 for multiple encounter protection.

Vest of Resistance. I dunno what your saves are, but +5 all saves is deff worth 25k gold. CAdv

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-10, 10:49 AM
the aforementioned handy haversack is great, especially when you stock it with all manner of goodies. I would suggest you not overlook mundane items as well as the magical.

Some of the most interesting games happened using the old 2nd ed rules for kenders and their 100 pockets full of useless things. You never know when a pocket full of feathers, or some ink, two dead mice, or some marbles will come in handy.

have you looked into purchasing permanized spells? arcane sight, see invisibility, tounges...all good spells. I might also suggest a permanent symbol, say, of sleep, pain, insanity, or something. Constantine the Symbol into a pair of gauntlets so that the symbol can't be 'activated' unless you place you hands together in some way, that will trigger the symbol and when you take them apart it is the same as covering it up...those effected will still be effected. Make sure to make your party immune to the symbol, or just watch where you trigger it...remember, they don't have to see the symbol, it just needs someone in range to trigger it. Once it is triggered, anyone not immune or attuned gets the effects if they are in range if they can see it or not.

Good times.

Zenos
2007-12-10, 10:51 AM
Remember I've not got access to MiC. Although, yeah, the ring of regen can go away. Purchasing a permanent See invisibility could be good, I agree on that one.

Grynning
2007-12-10, 07:06 PM
In regards to not needing FoM - Even with your home-brew class's counterspelling ability thing (which I would never allow in a campaign, that class is, well, overpowered), a constant immunity is better than an active defense any day in D&D. Especially vs. mind affecting - one Dominate spell that gets through can end it for you. Also, a strength of 34 will NOT help you as much as you think it will in grappling. Assume level 20. Check the grapple checks of the really big monsters. The bonus from str 34 is +12. Add your BAB at 20, that's +32. A Storm Giant, CR 13, has a +36. Most dragons bigger than adult will have no problems grappling you. Plus there's lots of other non-magical things that Freedom of Movement works against - nets, webs, etc. It's just a good thing to have.

Zenos
2007-12-11, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I see it now. Anyways, I think I should probably set some limits to how many Heroic points can be used for a single action (just so nobody uses 100 heroic points to make all attacks insta-kill.). And in regard to being overpowered, there are lots of wizardly cheese that can be more of a pain in the neck (like Pun-Pun, some of the polymorph cheese...) The reason I made it was actualy to make a warrior type who could do fairly well against a wizard.

And it CAN be played overpowered, but that doesn't mean it will be. Just make sure it is only given to players who are good at roleplaying but less min/maxed.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-11, 08:46 AM
Though I've never tried it out, the Cape of the Mountebank seems like a very good investment. Indeed so. Some other things that would be good include Eyes of Charming/Petrification, the infamous Luck Stone, and the 'Expose' Third eye, if you're using psionics.

Keld Denar
2007-12-11, 09:36 AM
I hate when I write well thought out posts and then the website times out and I lose the whole thing....grrrrr

Anyways, without typing it all out again:

You lack real ways to deal with Forcecage
Cape of the Montebank
Boots of Teleportation
handful of scrolls if Disintegrate (utility only, don't waste on damaging stuff)

Non-core (MIC mostly)
Anklets of Translocation
Boots of Big Stepping
some Pick which disintegrates Walls of Force

Also, you lack a +CON item. Suggestions include:
Replace +5 NA ammy with +6 CON ammy
Get a +2 Ioun stone for 8k
Get a +4 Ioun stone for 32k
Get a +6 Ioun stone for 72K
Get a +6 Belt of Magnificence for just over 100k, swaping for the +6 STR belt

Also of note, the Greater Cloak of Displacement is a trap. It requires activation, which is a standard action because its not noted otherwise. It then only lasts for 10 rounds in a given day. Lesser Cloak is only 20%, but is continuous. A Ring of Blinking has infinite uses, so theoretically could be used continuously, but could cost actions in a long battle and gives you 20% miss vs all opponents unless you take the feat Pierce Magical Concealment.

Edit: Ditto on the Armor and Shield enhancement bonuses as to the weapon bonus. You can grab a pair of +5 Magic Vestaments from a cleric in your party(if you have one) and spend the rest of the enhancement bonus on other effects. Good effects are Deathward (+1) and Energy Immunity (+2). EI activates as an immediate action, picks an elemental based on circumstance, and makes you immune to it for 1 minute, once per day. This is your "get out of lava free" card, or your antidragon. Deathward protects you from the 1st negative energy or death effect per day. This is needed because most things that give negative levels don't have saves. Negative levels are crippling. Put both on your armor and shield.

skeeter_dan
2007-12-11, 12:55 PM
When it comes to flying, I generally prefer the various magic carpets. Very fun and useful.

Triaxx
2007-12-11, 02:28 PM
Magic Carpets are great, since it's hard to use boots of flying to move extra goods. :smallbiggrin:

Chronicled
2007-12-11, 03:47 PM
Magic carpets aren't as good as something personal. I've had a character bull-rushed off his magic carpet by something big and flying, and I'd foolishly sold my ring of featherfall just beforehand. We were quite high up. Also, carpets are easy for enemies to damage.

I also had a post deleted. Since I don't feel like rewriting the whole thing:

Swap out the speed enhancement for Soulbreaker (I linked to it earlier). Draining a level, no save, on a 17-20 is better than having your weapon hasted.

If you plan on doing a decent amount of dispelling, getting a permanacied Arcane Sight will let you see which buffs your opponents have, letting you pick the best one for dispelling. Note that if your party wizard can do the permanancying right after character creation, then he might give you a deal.

Grynning
2007-12-11, 05:19 PM
@ the OP - I am going to try and post my comments on the class on your actual thread for it, unless the site keeps borkin' out like it has been

Forrestfire
2007-12-11, 08:24 PM
if you have access to the book of vile darkness, you should swap speed and keen out for souldrinking (+4 enchantment, deals 1 negative level per hit, x2 and death knell bonuses (1d8 temporary hp and +2 str) on crit.)