PDA

View Full Version : Optimization GWM vs Sword and Board

StormShepherd
2023-10-04, 03:19 PM
I am a bugbear. MOTM.
campaign is 1-6, and I want to be an Echo Knight. should I go GWF-> Greatsword or Dueling-> Longsword? The goal is to make a lot of attacks, and I rolled for stats and got (with mod) 20 Con, 18 Str, 12 Wis, 10Cha, 9Int, 14 Dex.
Con is higher than Str because I want more Echo Attacks. I think that Fey touched for Hex is good, Alert for better Surprise attacks, GWM if greatswording. please help! I don't know best DPR :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

LudicSavant
2023-10-04, 03:38 PM
I am a bugbear. MOTM.
campaign is 1-6, and I want to be an Echo Knight. should I go GWF-> Greatsword or Dueling-> Longsword? The goal is to make a lot of attacks, and I rolled for stats and got (with mod) 20 Con, 18 Str, 12 Wis, 10Cha, 9Int, 14 Dex.
Con is higher than Str because I want more Echo Attacks. I think that Fey touched for Hex is good, Alert for better Surprise attacks, GWM if greatswording. please help! I don't know best DPR :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

A greatsword will have higher DPR than a longsword -- though not by quite as much as some expect, if you're getting bonus-damage-per-hit from other sources (like bugbear, hex, or what-have-you), since that -5 to accuracy is risking more on a miss. Also there's an aspect of damage that's not reflected in DPR (namely, the benefit of higher initiative. Remember, the difference between going before Team Monster and going after is larger than an Action Surge).

Dueling+Shield has other benefits that make it worthwhile, like throwing, defense, or being able to forego strength and go dex-based with a rapier, be stealthy, win initiative, and kill things before they even get turns. And essentially getting +1 feat since you don't need GWM.

Also, if you're playing a Bugbear, winning initiative is even more important than normal, because that's where you get your +2d6 damage per hit from (at least, assuming you're using the MPMM version of Bugbear, which you should be -- it's far stronger than the Volo's version).

You can calculate the exact DPR for whatever build you like using the calculator in my sig.

CTurbo
2023-10-04, 04:05 PM
Neither! Go PAM instead. I know your Bonus Action will be often used on creating your Echo, but not EVERY turn so on turns when your Bonus Action is free, you'll have that extra attack. Plus PAM attacks from 15ft away are awesome.

I don't like GWM on Fighters without consistent means of Advantage so if I had to choose between GWM and S&B, I'd choose S&B.

Mastikator
2023-10-04, 04:21 PM
PAM and board. With duelist. A regular spear qualifies for PAM. The bonus action attack benefits from the duelist and the bugbear's surprise attack.

Witty Username
2023-10-04, 04:42 PM
A note with GWM is the bonus action attack is a thing that can put good work in, especially since you are a bugbear so you are decently likely to be able to get a kill in the first round to trigger the bonus attack.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-04, 07:13 PM
I love the synergy. Unleash incarnation, Action Surge, second Unleash Incarnation. So twice per day you can make 4 attacks at level 3, 6 at level 5. Very nice.

But from there, the bugbear wants a BA attack, but the echo uses most of your bonus actions. This is a conundrum. The campaign only goes to level 6 so you only get one feat. I'd almost certainly plan Alert as my one feat.

With that decided, I might take defense fighting style and switch hit. Start with two short swords for an extra attack that first round, then drop them and pull out a great sword and let your echo be the front line for the rest of the fight.

da newt
2023-10-04, 08:38 PM
There is no limit to how long your Echo lasts after you manifest it - Any warrior worth a can of dip spit doesn't wait until after combat starts to call upon their shadowy other half and burn a BA - you manifest that sucker before breakfast.

You can't make your shadow come to life until you are 3rd level, so what works best for levels 1 and 2? No feat until level 4 either ...

You will top out at level 6 - so 2 ASI/Feats and Multi attack only for your last 2 levels.

You can action surge for multiple attack actions 1/rest, so you can NOVA that first round w/ attack, unleash, action surge attack, unleash again and all hits get the first round bugbear extra damage - but you burn through your limited number of unleashes pretty quickly (and if you have a BA attack, you can tag that on too).

Your echo's AC doesn't care if your AC is high, low, shield, etc - it doesn't change.

IF you decide to go sword and board, then go HI DEX over ST and wield a rapier = better initiative, just as much damage, better saves and skills (except athletics/grappling).

Echo Knight is great for Sentinel. PAM is also a great choice (BA attacks and extra Opp Att trigger & spear/staff and shield w/ dueling FS is better than sword and board). GWM is good too (although I'd be really careful about when I went -5/+10). Alert is always good.

With those stats it's hard to go wrong - but remember DPR is not the only way to determine the 'best' build.