PDA

View Full Version : Bonus UA - Bastion System and Cantrips (and UA6 survey results)

Psyren
2023-10-05, 10:20 AM
New off-cycle UA packet coming! Will cover the new Bastion (Downtime) system as well as cantrips. Then we'll get UA8 with class stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJSH0F31VI

Summary:

- I don't have much to say about the Bastion system as it doesn't really interest me. The main difference between it and the 2014/Xan downtime rules is that it includes ways for NPCs to do stuff for you without your character being physically present, e.g. work orders and research.

Cantrip stuff!!
- Acid Splash is being changed to a 5' radius burst instead of hitting only two enemies.
- True Strike is becoming a Bladetrip similar to GFB/BB
- Blade Ward is becoming a Reaction against attack rolls, similar to UA Resistance
- Friends is losing the hostility clause

UA6 Feedback!
- All classes scored 70s and 80s, even Druid
- Rogue was the winner at 89%. It's pretty much a done deal. Cunning Strike got 94%!
- Druid was lowest at 70s but higher than it was in UA6. (How the hell Monk wasn't the lowest is beyond me.)
- Wildshape and Moon are still the lowest scoring things. Crawford wants one more pass at wild shape, so Druid is getting included again in UA8.
- They're continuing to listen to feedback from both the statblock and template camps.
- Monk will also be in UA8.
- The Monk had a lot of pain points. Ki/Disc points were the biggest.
- They want to make sure that monk abilities have EITHER a uses/day constraint OR a disc cost, not both.
- They want to reduce and even eliminate disc costs in various places.
- Shadow and 4 Elements both scored high enough that they don't need revision. Open Hand will likely be the only subclass returning.
- Ranger won't be returning, however in cases where the previous version of a feature scored better than UA6 (Favored Enemy, Foe Slayer, and Deft Explorer) they will be synthesizing old and new.
- He explained why Abjurer beat out Necromancer for the new PHB.

gloryblaze
2023-10-05, 02:19 PM
- Druid was lowest at 70s but higher than it was in UA6. (How the hell Monk wasn't the lowest is beyond me.)

The quote was:

Most of the classes in it, people are feeling really good about. So the rogue, the paladin, the cleric, the bard, and even the druid—the druid struggled the last time it came up—all of those classes received satisfaction scores in either the 70s or up into the 80s, with the rogue overall score at 89%. In that group, the class with the lowest satisfaction score is the druid, but even the druid made it into the 70s...

So he pretty clearly is intentionally excluding Monk with language like "Most of the classes" and "In that group." So Monk definitely scored lowest overall, probably well below 70.

ZRN
2023-10-05, 02:34 PM
Since the other thread has absorbed most of the general complaining about WOTC and also the conversation about bastions, I'll post here about cantrips.

-The new "Friends" differs from Charm Person in that it doesn't specify that the target knows they've been charmed when it ends. If that's an intentional difference, the cantrip will often be better than the leveled spell (despite a shorter duration and Concentration requirement). With Subtle Spell especially you can now charm everyone worry-free.

-Is Poison Spray the only d12 cantrip?

-Blade Ward seems pretty good, but I don't think overpowered.

-True Strike is an interesting design, but who is it good for?

Oramac
2023-10-05, 02:50 PM

If you don't count Toll the Dead with its double die mechanic, yes. But I think it works. Poison damage is the single most resisted damage type in the game, so dealing more of it when it's not resisted seems ok.

Psyren
2023-10-05, 02:56 PM
-The new "Friends" differs from Charm Person in that it doesn't specify that the target knows they've been charmed when it ends. If that's an intentional difference, the cantrip will often be better than the leveled spell (despite a shorter duration and Concentration requirement). With Subtle Spell especially you can now charm everyone worry-free.

Shorter range too. I think Charm Person will still be useful in more situations. Personally I would limit Friends by making it 5ft, that way NPCs who are concerned about you using it can simply converse at a distance.

Depends on how you count Toll the Dead.

Nobody, from what I can tell. The martials and gishes that would benefit from attacking with their casting stat already have ways to do so, the ones that don't are hurt by it, and the casters generally don't have weapons that can take advantage.

ZRN
2023-10-05, 04:44 PM
Nobody, from what I can tell. The martials and gishes that would benefit from attacking with their casting stat already have ways to do so, the ones that don't are hurt by it, and the casters generally don't have weapons that can take advantage.

I'm wondering specifically whether this would be at all useful in a world without Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade, which I certainly hope are somehow addressed (banned or nerfed or even just included if they're considered fine) in the new PHB.

Aimeryan
2023-10-05, 06:15 PM

Consider a Wizard with a Light Crossbow (or Longbow if Elf): D8+Int damage, +d6/2d6/3d6 at higher levels. Taking average damage against Fire Bolt, NO MAGICAL WEAPON:
Level 1-4 with 16 Int: d8+3 = 7.5 damage; Fire Bolt d10 = 5.5 damage
Level 4 with 18 Int: d8+4 = 8.5 damage; Firebolt d10 = 5.5 damage
Level 5-10 with 16 Int: d8+3+d6 = 11; Firebolt 2d10 = 11
Level 5-10 with 18 Int: d8+4+d6 = 12; Firebolt 2d10 = 11
Level 8-10 with 20 Int: d8+5+d6 = 13; Firebolt 2d10 = 11
Level 11-16 with 16 Int ASI: d8+3+2d6 = 14.5; Firebolt 3d10 = 16.5
Level 11-16 with 18 Int ASI: d8+4+2d6 = 15.5; Firebolt 3d10 = 16.5
Level 11-16 with 20 Int ASI: d8+5+2d6 = 16.5; Firebolt 3d10 = 16.5
Level 17-20 with 16 Int ASI: d8+3+3d6 = 18; Firebolt 4d10 = 22
Level 17-20 with 18 Int ASI: d8+4+3d6 = 19; Firebolt 4d10 = 22
Level 17-20 with 20 Int ASI: d8+5+3d6 = 20; Firebolt 4d10 = 22

Truestrike damage = weapon type or Radiant
Fire Bolt damage = Fire

I bolded the path I feel is most likely to occur, which has Tier 1 as True Strike being quite superior, Tier 2 being a little superior, Tier 3 being equal, Tier 4 falling behind. However, note that magical weapons favour Truestrike, so its fairly likely it would always be superior (albeit, cantrips not really coming into play at higher levels in any case). The damage types are difficult to judge, but favours having switchable ones for Truestrike (well, the d6 is always Radiant). They'll both be useful in their own situations, but Truestrike would be better on average.

LudicSavant
2023-10-06, 04:12 PM
They say that Cunning Strike has gotten one of the highest approval ratings they've gotten for anything, ever. Which should be unsurprising -- people have been saying for years that they want a little more complexity and options in their martial gameplay.