PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - Uses & Abuses of PF's Raycaster?

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-10-05, 10:53 PM
Over in this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25882882&postcount=5), thethird alerted me to the fact that Pathfinder has a magic rod/weapon called the raycaster:

Raycaster
AURA moderate evocation; CL 5th; PRICE 2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3), 32,000 gp (+4), 50,000 gp (+5), 72,000 gp (+6), 98,000 gp (+7), 128,000 gp (+8), 162,000 gp (+9), 200,000 gp (+10) WEIGHT —

DESCRIPTION: This rod counts as a light mace with an enhancement bonus. A character may utilize this weapon as a focus for any spell that deals hit point damage. A spell effect cast with this as a focus adds the weapon’s enhancement bonus to the spell's attack and damage rolls, and the spell also gains any weapon special abilities of the raycaster. If an ability on the ray caster explicitly only works on melee or ranged weapons, then that ability only functions for spells that require a melee or ranged attack respectively to hit their target.

What can we think of to do with this? What spell and special weapon ability combos work exceedingly well together?

For this purpose, magic, psionics, [Ps]s, [Sp]s, and [Su]s are equivalent, and any of them can be used with this item, so long as they're similar to a cast spell. Also, feel free to swap out the rod/mace for another weapon type, since I can think of multiple ways of doing so, so don't hold back on that account!

Also, keep in mind that almost ANY spell can deal damage, if the correct feat combo is applied. Remember the locate city bomb?

(Thanks, thethird!)

thethird
2023-10-06, 07:00 AM
Oh nice thread you got going here... Let me make a suggestion to get the ball rolling...

Do you want to kill things dead?

Wrathful healing from enemies and allies, a +3 weapon enhancement that heals you half of the damage dealt. Manifest Sympathetic drain (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Sympathetic_Drain) don't forget to surge augment.

What's the net result? Spend 3 power point, someone on close range takes damage equal to twice your max hp (and also gets sickened, maybe).

Kurald Galain
2023-10-06, 07:05 AM
Bewildering enchantment (as +1) plus any large-area spell, it adds a free Confusion effect.

Prime32
2023-10-06, 07:38 AM
Also, feel free to swap out the rod/mace for another weapon type, since I can think of multiple ways of doing so, so don't hold back on that account!

I'd say make them guns and take levels in Spellslinger wizard (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Wizard%20Spellslin ger), then use Mage Bullets to add enchantments to their barrels which also apply to your spells. But PF tends to frown on adding the same thing twice.

Don't ask me what happens if you make a spell dancing.

Kurald Galain
2023-10-06, 07:39 AM
Winter Witch archetype can make any touch spell deal 1d4 damage, meaning it can cause touch spells to qualify for the raycaster even when they normally don't.