PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Uses for Inspiration

Segev
2023-10-08, 10:58 AM
In most games I have played, if the DM remembered to reward it outside of 'at the start of the session,' Inspiration is often granted much more often than it is used. Sometimes before you even had an opportunity to make a d20 roll since the last time it was granted! All the means of gaining Advantage also make it less valuable.

Here, I propose some alternate uses that may or may not be overpowered. I am curious what people think of each of them.

When you take the Attack action, you may spend Inspiration to make one additional attack.
You may spend Inspiration to take an extra Reaction before your next turn.
You may spend Inspiration on a turn in which you cast a bonus action spell to allow another spell cast on the same turn to be level one or higher.
You may spend Inspiration on your turn to take an additional action or bonus action. This may not be used to cast a spell nor make any attacks.
When you cast a spell as a ritual, you may spend Inspiration to do so without extending the casting time.

DomesticHausCat
2023-10-08, 11:31 AM
Stole this idea from another dm awhile ago and keep on using it in all my games:

Inspiration has been renamed to grudge points.

Whenever you roll a 1 on a d20 roll for any reason you gain a grudge point. I often have them roll again and if they "confirm" the critical fail, they have a critical fumble and then gain 2 grudge points instead of just 1.

You can use your grudge point as a reroll like inspiration. Or you can save up 7 of them, spend them all and then get a permanent +1 to one of your 6 stats.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-10-08, 11:48 AM
I've started using an alternative inspiration system for the group as a whole.

Every session, the party starts with 1 point per player. At any time, a player can choose to inspire another player, allowing them to reroll a dice roll of any type. This can be applied after the roll. You can't inspire yourself. Effectively a bigger lucky feat, group wide.

There's a loose expectation that this will be given some in fiction roleplay/acting, such as an in character speech, a statement that the inspired character looks at a fallen comrade and feels bad, something. I don't enforce that, however.

The pool is visible to everyone, using tokens when in person or a visible display when online.

I want to move toward a world where characters predeclare actions that will earn the group inspiration (each can gain inspiration 1x/session), but haven't found a good way to build that yet. Something like

1 from a list per class.
1 from a list per background
1 chosen by the player

All can change over time as characters change.

Witty Username
2023-10-08, 11:12 PM
I like inspiration as a reroll rather than advantage, at least if you only get one at a given time.

I think it causes people to hold onto it longer than makes sense when it needs to be in advance.

Apart from that, I have been experimenting with a luck stat style mechanic to graft Chultuhu rules onto, but that isn't really fit to ship.

Dork_Forge
2023-10-09, 01:33 AM
I use Inspiration like this:

At the start of ever session I roll to determine who does the session recap, that person gets an Inspiration afterwards. They're also awarded for particularly funny jokes or really compelling roleplay moments.

As standard, I use them as rerolls, advantage is too common and boring, even though the flow of Inspiration is pretty good, they get used pretty regularly.

I will also use them as a meta currency when players want to do something cool outside of the rules, but it seems a bit much to let them try for free given the scope of it paying off. This way it reflects a fleeting moment of inspiration allowing them to use their abilities in a new, non-typical way.

I also have a system for a high difficulty apocalypse setting where Inspiration can be stacked to prof and spent on a table, things like getting temp HP.