PDA

View Full Version : An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective BG3 Builds

Theodoxus
2023-10-09, 09:06 PM
I was randomly looking through some of the builds in the ECFEB thread, and sadly, none that I happened to pick are usable in BG3 (variant humans and dragonmarks are everywhere!) So, I was curious if folks had interesting build options that work in an un-modded BG3 environment.

I've tried nearly all the racial options at least through Act I to find fun interactions (sadly, a Deep Gnome run through the Underdark didn't yield as an exciting dialog option as a Drow does...) But I haven't really done class combinations. The 'port ideas from BG3 to 5E' thread doesn't really touch on class builds much either. So, figured I'd scour the metabrain that is GitP BG3 players and see what fun things people have tried (or theorized) to get my interest piqued to attempt another playthrough.

LudicSavant
2023-10-10, 03:21 AM
I was randomly looking through some of the builds in the ECFEB thread, and sadly, none that I happened to pick are usable in BG3 (variant humans and dragonmarks are everywhere!) So, I was curious if folks had interesting build options that work in an un-modded BG3 environment.

I've tried nearly all the racial options at least through Act I to find fun interactions (sadly, a Deep Gnome run through the Underdark didn't yield as an exciting dialog option as a Drow does...) But I haven't really done class combinations. The 'port ideas from BG3 to 5E' thread doesn't really touch on class builds much either. So, figured I'd scour the metabrain that is GitP BG3 players and see what fun things people have tried (or theorized) to get my interest piqued to attempt another playthrough.

I'm only up to level 7 in BG3 so far (real tabletop games and real life have kept me too busy!), but I've been breezing through Tactician+No Karmic Dice with some simple, flexible, and straightforwardly strong characters that come online immediately and are effective enough to steamroll anything the game can throw at you.

Here are a couple of them.

Eldritch Javelineer -- Artillery Fighter
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1140348315607777321/1161210405302059049/image.png?ex=65377876&is=65250376&hm=798e4280c05ed5e6e67a6e8c1676baa89efb79b2114d8d8 0790748cbedec45df&
(Lae'zel) Eldritch Knight 7
Starting Attributes: 17 Strength, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 12 Wis, 10 Int, 8 Cha
ASIs: Tavern Brawler
Fighting Style: Defense

This is a mobile character with higher defenses than other Fighters and very high damage and accuracy. Versatile and rock-solid reliable.

If you asked me what the strongest Fighter was in BG3, I'd say "the Eldritch Knight." Why? Well, unlike in 5e, the Battle Master has to declare their maneuvers before rolling the dice (no more critfishin') and they don't stack with the various weapon maneuvers, or work with thrown weapon attacks, or the like. Oof.

By contrast, Eldritch Knight (already the tankiest of Fighter subclasses) got buffed! They can now use rituals, have a better spell selection, and Weapon Bond automatically turns your thrown weapons into a Returning Weapon, which is important, because thrown weapons in BG3 are extremely strong!

Why are thrown weapons so strong in BG3?
1) With 20 Strength (and it's possible to get even more), Tavern Brawler gives a +5/+5 boost to thrown weapons. You heard me, not -5/+5, no, that's +5/+5. That's insane. It's easily the best martial feat in the game. And that's before we consider that...
2) As if that wasn't enough, thrown weapons do bonus bludgeoning damage from the object falling on you, due to BG3's weird physics engine. And the higher you throw from, the more damage you do! So now it's even more than +5/+5.
3) As if that wasn't enough, there are multiple early game items that boost your thrown weapon damage by 1d4 per hit, and stack. Look for the Ring of Flinging and Gloves of Uninhibited Kushigo.
4) As if that wasn't enough, Tavern Brawler seems to have a bug that causes these bonuses to apply twice (as if the extra boost was an entire extra hit).
5) High ground bonus is easy to get (especially easy because of your mobility) and gives another +2 bonus accuracy. You're up to +7 now. +12 over any dunce who used GWM. +13 if they haven't maxed their attribute yet (because Tavern Brawler's only a half-feat!) So... yeah. It's a lot. You don't miss.
6) This leaves your bonus action free, and there's plenty of stuff to use your bonus actions on, like Jumping, or casting Hunter's Mark from a Hunting Shortbow (you can get one from the very first merchant) for another +1d6 damage per hit. (You don't actually use the bow, it just gives you the spell)

What's more, Longstrider is now a ritual that just plain gives your entire party +10 movement speed, all day. Jump is also a resource-free ritual, and jump in BG3 is awesome (especially with your maxxed Strength, you can go far). Familiars are a ritual too -- my go-to is using the bird to blind enemies and generate Advantage for the party (boosting accuracy even further, and crit rate too). Concentration spells like Expeditious Retreat and Protection From Evil and Good (boosting your already high defenses) now last all day, and with your good defenses and positioning you're unlikely to lose them. This means you still have most of your slots for Shield, if you want! Hell, even Misty Step got buffed in BG3.

What this means is that you've got a highly mobile, highly durable character who essentially never misses and hits like a freight train, potentially breaking triple digit damage even early in the game. You can casually seize any position on the map you want and start hurtling death down on your enemies, be it with your Returning weapons (thanks to Weapon Bond) or barrelmancy or the like.

Don't worry about your Int score, for two reasons: 1) If you want to kill people, you use your javelins, not your saving throws and 2) Even if you do decide you want to use spells that scale with Int, there's a Headband of Intellect in Act 1.

As for cantrips, I recommend ones like Mage Hand (throw even more things), Minor Illusion (it'll group enemies together for AoEs), or Light.

Also, being a Githyanki is great; they have good racial spells (all three of their racial spells are meaningfully buffed in BG3), and a whopping 3-5 bonus skill proficiencies that they can swap out every day. I've actually been using my javelineer Lae'zel as my primary lockpicker / pickpocketer / etc just off of 14 Dex, Astral Knowledge (Dex), and having Shadowheart cast Guidance and Enhance Ability on her, plus putting on equipment like the Ring of Smuggling. Who needs a Rogue? I sure don't.

Oh, and you can totally frontline if you want, too. 26+ AC and Second Wind is a lot, and you fight at close range effectively, too. So yeah. You can move anywhere, take a helluva beating (if enemies could even get to you before just plain dying), and lay down big, highly accurate damage, reliable as clockwork.

Lae'zel can basically solo fights like this.

Invincible Ice -- Frontliner Wizard
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1140348315607777321/1161210217242050571/image.png?ex=6537784a&is=6525034a&hm=1e4a5bf190aaf509d20ebc7842541978fe82155ba2e7781 78ec96a75f29e244b&
(Gale) Warlock 1 / Abjurer 6
Starting Attributes 16 Con, 16 Int, 14 Dex, 10 Wis, 10 Str, 8 Cha
ASIs: Warcaster

The BG3 Abjurer feels just about invincible with Upcast Armor of Agathys, since Abjurer got changed from 5e so that the ward strength only goes down by 1 per hit. This means wearing down your ward (and thus, Armor of Agathys) is much more difficult than in standard 5e. I was just intentionally running past enemies to provoke OAs for them to attack me more.

What's more, recharging the ward is extremely easy, even without bothering to spend a level for a Warlock invocation to do it. Glyph of Warding is actually one of the better blast spells in this game (with a bigger radius than Fireball, selectable damage types, etc) and will charge the ward. And of course Armor of Agathys itself will charge it. Also, you can totally do things like cast an abjuration spell from a piece of equipment then just change that equipment. And you essentially have 7 level 1 slots / day because of the Warlock dip, so you can just spam those freely for PFG&E, Shield, etc.

With light armor + shield + Shield, your AC is very solid. Though if you want you might even choose to drop your defenses just to encourage enemies to hit you more often, for more AoA damage.

For a feat, I took Warcaster. If enemies are hitting you, this will protect your concentration. And if they try to run past you, they eat lightning damage.

Dalinar
2023-10-10, 07:02 AM
It's likely worth asking yourself what you're optimizing for.

Are you trying to do something unique, or impossible in 5e? Then basically take a look around for options that don't really get much traction in optimization discussions and the like, and pick one. Thief got buffed into orbit, for instance. Monk is better off than 5e, as are Strength characters in general. Longstrider as an all-day ritual is incredible, and Jump as a ritual is also very good.

Are you trying to get to the end of the game as quickly as possible? You could take a look at what the speedrunners are doing, though as usual it won't much resemble what most people expect (any% went kinda viral for how goofy and short it is, but there is an "any% but not that" category that ends at about level 4 if I'm eyeballing the world record video right--I don't recommend looking either category up for spoiler reasons until you've finished the game once).

What difficulty are you playing on? There's stuff you can get away with on a normal run that probably wouldn't work on Tactician. Likewise, Karmic Dice (last I checked) increases the chance of most d20 rolls succeeding, which is a buff to GWM/Sharpshooter but a nerf to high armor class characters.

Are you doing any kind of self-imposed challenge? For me, I decided the way I wanted to play the game was on standard difficulty, but with the added restriction that I wanted to long rest as infrequently as possible while doing as many encounters as possible. On my second playthrough I was able to get to level 5 and complete everything I knew about in the starting area without taking a single long rest--whereupon I tried to leave for the mountain pass and the game forced one, and then it would crash after I left camp. Turns out a lot of cutscenes happen on long rest, and I bet there was some combination of them that broke. (This was some months ago, wonder if one of the subsequent patches fixed it?) Anyway, this got a bit less feasible in later acts--or else I got sloppier--but it was still a fun way to feed the perfectionist part of my brain something to do while still enjoying everything else going on in the game.

---

As for actual builds: I don't really have a formal "do this" guide, just a few things that struck me as really useful in my playthroughs.

I think a lot of people quickly caught on that Thief/Gloom Stalker with Sharpshooter was extremely potent as a ranged damage dealer. I can confirm it works really well--Thief's extra bonus action lends itself in a very obvious way to dual wielding and Sharpshooter makes you not really mind missing DEX to damage on your offhand attacks. I ran this on Astarion, with whom I went Rogue 4 to grab both of those things quickly, stopped by Fighter 1 for an extra fighting style (in retrospect I would have delayed this some), grabbed Ranger 5 for Extra Attack and Dread Ambusher, then rounded out with that last Rogue level and a second Fighter level. There is a set of medium armor in the game that calculates AC as 15+DEX, and the game does not prohibit you from benefiting from a shield and also dual wielding ranged weapons, so my Astarion was running around with 21AC, dishing out as many as five Sharpshooter attacks per round, applying poisons in harder fights (there are some brutal poisons in this game--they last a minute on both weapons, so the ability to spam out shots with Thief is a great way to get a lot of mileage from them), and with the Ranger levels he was also giving people Longstrider 100% of the time, Jump as needed, and a familiar.

Speaking of familiars: I liked using cat familiar to separate certain enemy groups from each other to pick them apart. Action economy is still king.

Cleric can still do Spirit Guardian shenanigans, it's just different from 5e. The spell has a shorter duration and range, but because a lot of enemies are stupid enough to run into it, it can still work really well. You just have to be pretty selective about when you pop it. Ranged enemies did seem to focus the SG when it was up, or I might have imagined that, hard to say. Beyond that, I kinda struggled to make Cleric work except as an HP battery for the martials.

Druid... Druid is ridiculous. I found area denial to be a really strong tactic for some of the hardest encounters, and again, enemies are stupid enough to run into it. Druid has so much area denial in its toolbox, it's wild. Spike Growth is as potent as ever, and some of the later spells in the same niche put it to shame! And Druid basically gets all of them. Moon in particular gets some very silly options out of its improved Wild Shape--shoutouts to whoever it was here that tipped me off to Air Myrmidon, which as a Wild Shape has three attacks per round that all hit fairly hard and have the same rider as Stunning Strike on top of that, for no resource cost other than the initial Wild Shape. Unfortunately I only really got around to using it in lategame, but it's definitely a priority for future runs.

GWM Berserker did me a lot of good in my first run--unfortunately I meant to turn off Karmic Dice, but some bugs led to me resetting my settings and I forgot to turn it off again much later, so it isn't quite as ridiculous as I initially thought, but it was still good enough that my second run involved two Barbs! It's still great, though--you basically are using Berserker's bonus action attack only to cover turns where you really need it and don't get a GWM bonus action attack, so the accuracy penalty doesn't come up nearly as often as you'd think. I didn't much like Wild Magic subclass, and I don't remember Wildheart being anything too special, albeit I didn't explore the options that thoroughly.

Warlock's Repelling Blast is honestly ridiculous and it might actually be a bigger priority than Agonizing Blast in BG3 (though obviously, get both of them). It forces dash actions out of enemies that otherwise would be able to attack you. The encounter designs frequently give you opportunities to do fall damage with it, and it synergizes nicely with all the area denial you can put out. I mostly used Wyll as a Fiend Chainlock, with imp being nice for setting off certain traps (immune to fire/poison!) and baiting monsters. Fiend subclass mostly came up in the form of its temp HP, which procced pretty often--lots of weak things you can snipe to get some, or things Astarion couldn't quite finish off, or things standing too close to a chasm. Usually Wyll's spell slots were reserved for either Counterspell or Wall of Fire.

diplomancer
2023-10-16, 02:13 PM
Monk 9 (open hand), Rogue 3 (Thief) can probably kite all enemies in most combats. ASIs are Athlete and Tavern Brawler. With Elixir of Hill Giant Str (you can just maximize Str instead, but your defenses will suffer) you can use Step of the Wind for Dash, then do full attack and flurry of blows with extra action from Thief.

Let's see the speed that this can translate to, before any short duration buffs. A Wood Elf Monk 9 has a base speed of 60' with Long Strider. WIth a Bonus Action Step of the Wind, that makes it 120'. Which means that he can jump 12 times, since Step of the Wind eliminates the bonus action cost of the Jump Action. And how far he can jump, you ask? 75 feet! That's right, 30' from Str, 20' from Monk 9, and 50% extra from Athlete. This means that this character can, without short term buffs, achieve a speed of 900'/round, which is far more than you would need to kite anyone, only the combats with a time limit are a challenge for you.

You can go even faster, of course. I was calculating that if you are Hasted, with Enhance Leap, and instead of attacking you use all your actions and bonus actions for speed, you can achieve speeds of 13500'/round. Thats right, you are super sonic. And there is, in fact, one scenario in the game where you don't want to fight, you just want to move as fast as possible.

Now, this is all theory-crafting, obviously. There will always be obstacles in the game that won't allow you to jump your full distance an unlimited number of times. But even if you are "only" able to get 20% of your base speed, you are still able to kite most enemies in most combat encounters.

Witty Username
2023-10-26, 12:52 AM
Throwing is definitely fun, but I feel like throwing weapons may actually be suboptimal.
Throw enemies instead, alot of enemies can be picked up with an athletics check, barbarian can even do this as a bonus action. Throw at other enemies, deal double the damage, throw enemies over ledges to create distance or guaranteed kills. Shoving does this as well, but requires more precise positioning to get the right direction. But is also more forgiving on weight, so even larger enemies can be wiped by it with proper setup.

I had a fight yesterday where I killed 5 enemies in a round, no damage, just gravity. Shoving, throwing. Athletics is strong in this game.

And this is with a Tav, githyanki barbarian with medium armor master, hardly top tier optimized.
--
Don't take build advice from me though,
I haven't been multiclassing at all, and I have been going mostly theme,
Wyll pact of the blade with moderately armored
Lazel, battlemaster with GWM, honestly pretty fine, the bonus action attack comes up alot
Everyone else is featless I think

Khosan
2023-10-29, 04:27 PM
Paladin 2/College of Swards Bard 10. I went Drow with the Guild Artisan background, but those are secondary.

There's ups and downs with this as you level up. It starts to fall behind around level 4, since you're behind on ASIs/feats, and it doesn't really pick back up until you get Extra Attack at level 8. Most of my Tav's contributions during that time came in the form of Song of Rest, Healing Radiance, and Expertise in Persuasion. After level 8, it's been great, just smashing people in the face with enormous smites and being almost unhittable via Defensive Flourish.

I only wish I could simultaneously smite and flourish at the same time. Bummer, but whatever.

Damon_Tor
2023-10-29, 08:52 PM
Invincible Ice -- Frontliner Wizard
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1140348315607777321/1161210217242050571/image.png?ex=6537784a&is=6525034a&hm=1e4a5bf190aaf509d20ebc7842541978fe82155ba2e7781 78ec96a75f29e244b&
(Gale) Warlock 1 / Abjurer 6
Starting Attributes 16 Con, 16 Int, 14 Dex, 10 Wis, 10 Str, 8 Cha
ASIs: Warcaster

The BG3 Abjurer feels just about invincible with Upcast Armor of Agathys, since Abjurer got changed from 5e so that the ward strength only goes down by 1 per hit. This means wearing down your ward (and thus, Armor of Agathys) is much more difficult than in standard 5e. I was just intentionally running past enemies to provoke OAs for them to attack me more.

Another option for AoA for an abjurer is a dip in sorcerer. Dragon sorcerer has a bonus spell based on their ancestry, and one of the ice dragons (white I think) get AoA. This keeps your spell slot progression on track

Damon_Tor
2023-10-29, 08:56 PM
The assassin/gloomstalker combo works great in BG3.

IMO every party needs a sorcerer to twin-cast haste. Haste is WAAAAY to strong.

LudicSavant
2023-10-29, 10:25 PM
Another option for AoA for an abjurer is a dip in sorcerer. Dragon sorcerer has a bonus spell based on their ancestry, and one of the ice dragons (white I think) get AoA. This keeps your spell slot progression on track

That's an interesting alternative! :smallsmile:

Witty Username
2023-10-30, 01:55 AM
Sorcerer dip also arguably fits Gale's character better. What with his apparently ridiculously gifted mage angle. And doesn't come off as the kind to make a quick pact with a whatever.

diplomancer
2023-10-30, 07:08 AM
Paladin 2/College of Swards Bard 10. I went Drow with the Guild Artisan background, but those are secondary.

There's ups and downs with this as you level up. It starts to fall behind around level 4, since you're behind on ASIs/feats, and it doesn't really pick back up until you get Extra Attack at level 8. Most of my Tav's contributions during that time came in the form of Song of Rest, Healing Radiance, and Expertise in Persuasion. After level 8, it's been great, just smashing people in the face with enormous smites and being almost unhittable via Defensive Flourish.

I only wish I could simultaneously smite and flourish at the same time. Bummer, but whatever.

Sword Bard is very strong in this game, my first run was with one. With a dip in Wizard and Defensive Flourish, you're basically unhittable. Slashing Flourish can target the same creature twice. A well applied Mobile Flourish can instakill an enemy, or just have extra falling damage. Half Elves and Humans get shield proficiency. Crossbow Expert is basically a free feat.

And being a Bard means your character can do everything, talk, open locks, disarm traps, etc. Since I got Sharpshooter for my Tav and decided to stay ranged, she simply carried the Club of Hill Giant Strength just to make my life easier with inventory management.

Damon_Tor
2023-10-30, 10:21 AM
Sorcerer dip also arguably fits Gale's character better. What with his apparently ridiculously gifted mage angle. And doesn't come off as the kind to make a quick pact with a whatever.

He's one of the few (only?) companions who says "wait, let's hear him out" when you meet Raphael, so I'm not sure that tracks. He wouldn't make a QUICK pact with "a whatever", but I have no doubt he would make a well-considered pact with a well-understood entity if he felt it was beneficial to him to do so. Gale is over confident, and it would be entirely in-character for him to think he can outsmart his would-be patron.

I do agree that sorcerer is a better fit for him though, as a dip at least. Wild Magic as a consequence of exposure to the Karsite Weave was my justification for it.

If I were to make him a warlock I would use a similar explanation: that the Karsite Weave is a Vestige and thus semi-sapient and a viable patron should Gale choose to embrace it. I'd use GoO as 5e lacks a vestige patron subclass.

Witty Username
2023-10-30, 11:44 AM
Asterion has some stuff, I have heard he will actually get mad at you if you don't show interest in Raphael and bring him along to conversations with him.

Oramac
2023-10-30, 12:00 PM
I haven't really played with multiclassing much, but I will say, even just single-class characters feel really strong.

Currently at 11th level, my main is Oath of Vengeance, and I've got Gale as Abjuration, Shadowheart as Tempest, and Karlach as Frenzy. All of these feel really good, and I'm not even trying to optimize.

I've swapped out for Astarion as Lore Bard and Halsin/Jaheira as moon/land druid (really strong). Haven't tried EK on Lae'zel yet, though I think I just might.

Tempest Cleric in particular feels incredible in BG3. I dare say a party of 4 tempest clerics could beat most anything (or, at least, anything I've yet seen).

Saelethil
2023-10-30, 12:56 PM
I had a lot of fun on my first play through as a gloomstalker/shadow monk. I ended up grabbing a level in rogue when I stopped bringing Astarion. In my current play through I have Gale as a Wizard 1 (might grab 2 eventually)/knowledge cleric of Mystra and have been taking full advantage of being able to learn spells from scrolls as long as they’re a level I have slots for. I’m sure it’s not optimal but it he still feels very Gale.

OldTrees1
2023-10-30, 01:33 PM
Tempted by the Tadpole
(Species) Warlock 5 / Thief 3 / Warlock +4
Patron: Your choice
Pact: Blade
It might be important that the last level is Warlock. Some things use your spellcasting ability modifier and you want your default modifier for equipment/abilities/buffs to be Cha.
Stats (Don't matter in the end): Cha 17, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Str 08
Feats (Act 1 - Act 3): Cha +2, Durable
Feats (End of Act 3 Respec): Durable, Duel Wielder
Invocations: Agonizing Blast is good but we will not wait around for Lifedrinker

Itemization and buffs
Cantrip:
The Spellsparkler

Melee:
Mourning Frost
Diadem of Arcane Synergy
Daredevil Gloves is an easy way to trigger the Diadem

All:
Tieflings and Halsin are your friends
Ethel's Hair for +1 Cha
You do not need the Zaithisk but might as well

Cantrip:
Potent Robe

Melee:
Myrkulite Scourge

All:
Save Thaniel if you have Ethel's +1 Cha hair.

Cantrip:
Spellmight Gloves

Melee:
Deva Mace is your weapon of choice

All:
Mirror of Grief +2 Cha
Species and Stats don't matter because you are an Illithid
Illithids have 18 Cha which is increased by Ethel's Hair, Thaniel as an Ally, and the Mirror of Grief. This was not increased by ASIs.

It is a bladepact warlock that abuses the action economy (3 actions per turn). Their melee stays competitive with their eldritch blast but they can use either. You get to play with the Illithid powers (especially Cull the Weak and Black Hole).

The goal of this build was to make a REDACTED character. So some of the optimization is based on consequences that happen later or even at the very end.

Damon_Tor
2023-10-31, 03:48 PM
Tempted by the Tadpole
(Species) Warlock 5 / Thief 3 / Warlock +4
Patron: Your choice
Pact: Blade
It might be important that the last level is Warlock. Some things use your spellcasting ability modifier and you want your default modifier for equipment/abilities/buffs to be Cha.
Stats (Don't matter in the end): Cha 17, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Str 08
Feats (Act 1 - Act 3): Cha +2, Durable
Feats (End of Act 3 Respec): Durable, Duel Wielder
Invocations: Agonizing Blast is good but we will not wait around for Lifedrinker

Itemization and buffs
Cantrip:
The Spellsparkler

Melee:
Mourning Frost
Diadem of Arcane Synergy
Daredevil Gloves is an easy way to trigger the Diadem

All:
Tieflings and Halsin are your friends
Ethel's Hair for +1 Cha
You do not need the Zaithisk but might as well

Cantrip:
Potent Robe

Melee:
Myrkulite Scourge

All:
Save Thaniel if you have Ethel's +1 Cha hair.

Cantrip:
Spellmight Gloves

Melee:
Deva Mace is your weapon of choice

All:
Mirror of Grief +2 Cha
Species and Stats don't matter because you are an Illithid
Illithids have 18 Cha which is increased by Ethel's Hair, Thaniel as an Ally, and the Mirror of Grief. This was not increased by ASIs.

It is a bladepact warlock that abuses the action economy (3 actions per turn). Their melee stays competitive with their eldritch blast but they can use either. You get to play with the Illithid powers (especially Cull the Weak and Black Hole).

The goal of this build was to make a REDACTED character. So some of the optimization is based on consequences that happen later or even at the every end.

What do you actually do with the bonus actions though? Is it just for cunning actions and illithid powers? I admit I haven't played much with THE ENDING OF WHICH YOU SPEAK so do the tadpole powers become much better/more available in the scenario in question?

OldTrees1
2023-10-31, 04:23 PM
What do you actually do with the bonus actions though? Is it just for cunning actions and illithid powers? I admit I haven't played much with THE ENDING OF WHICH YOU SPEAK so do the tadpole powers become much better/more available in the scenario in question?

In the ending the tadpole powers get better. Mind Sanctuary in particular also becomes a passive self-only buff that answers your question.

Act 1: 1 bonus action -> Jump, Healing Potion, or Illithid Power (Survival Instinct is nice)
Act 2: 2 bonus actions -> Cunning Action Dash, Offhand Hand Crossbow, Healing Potion, or Illithid Power
Act 3: 2 bonus actions -> Act 3 Illithid Powers (Black Hole is nice), Cunning Action Dash, or Healing Potion
Ending: 3 Actions & 0 Bonus Actions -> Extra Attack or Eldritch Blast

Combined with Haste, you are attacking 8 times or blasting 12 targets. Just a bit worse than a hasted Fighter's action surge turn and on par with a Thief Monk's hasted turn.