PDA

View Full Version : Solid Proof of Vaarsuvius gender :spolier:

Arrogant
2007-12-09, 10:20 PM
The speculation is over boys and girls as I have found a slip up proving that Vaarsuvius is indeed female. It is located in Strip #135. In the second last cell, the co-owner of the store says "Y'know Larry, SHE might have a point". So there you go read it for yourselves if you don't believe me

Chaos Wolf
2007-12-09, 10:26 PM
But remember. The Giant also mentions in his FAQ that many characters will describe V as they see her. They're simply assuming, they don't really know.

Amon Hen
2007-12-09, 10:27 PM
The speculation is over boys and girls as I have found a slip up proving that Vaarsuvius is indeed female. It is located in Strip #135. In the second last cell, the co-owner of the store says "Y'know Larry, SHE might have a point". So there you go read it for yourselves if you don't believe me

I think that's just her point of view. I think some other people call V 'he/him'

I also think Giant said that it would never really say for sure.
For what it's worth I think of V and a she.:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2007-12-09, 10:29 PM
From the FAQ:

Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation. Top

Chaos Wolf
2007-12-09, 10:31 PM
See? thanks rtg0922

Grey Watcher
2007-12-09, 10:39 PM
Let's see... Roy's called V "V-man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html)"

Nale's referred to V as a "chick (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)".

Sabine has referred to V as both a male (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html) and a female.

So who's right?

EDIT: Added links, but can't find the specific instance of Sabine referring to V as female, but I'm almost positive it happened.

Chaos Wolf
2007-12-09, 10:42 PM
Everyone and noone! :smallbiggrin: yeah, I'm an idiot.:biggrin:

BRC
2007-12-09, 10:43 PM
There are obviously 2 Varssuvius's, one male and one female, both of which are identical and switch out between panels using elven ninja skills.

Chaos Wolf
2007-12-09, 10:44 PM
There are obviously 2 Varssuvius's, one male and one female, both of which are identical and switch out between panels using elven ninja skills.
Okay, now we're just talking crazy.

Grey Watcher
2007-12-09, 10:49 PM

This is the best V's gender theory yet.

Copacetic
2007-12-09, 10:49 PM

Welcome to the boards.

BRC
2007-12-09, 10:50 PM
Its true, Rich told me that himself!
This is some guy I know named Rich, not Rich Burlew.

Chaos Wolf
2007-12-09, 10:51 PM
*sniff* I'm home at last.:smalltongue: :thog:

Kelly
2007-12-09, 11:07 PM
This is silly. Not only do people seem to consistently use the word 'gender' when talking about what V might have between hir legs (which would be hir sex, gender is between the ears), but they seem to forget there are real people who aren't one or the other. Why this need to pin down an intentionally androgynous character from fantasy fiction to one of the two binary sexes? All the text we have so far suggests V doesn't ID with either gender, and things like hir condescension when they find the bathroom in the dungeon crawl suggest V considers hirself to be above bodily matters, and therefore hir sex to be unimportant. And if V's sex is unimportant to V, why should it matter to us?

Kai Maera
2007-12-09, 11:19 PM
The need to assign a gender value to V stems from a deep -- and, indeed, instinctive -- insecurity involving the unknown.

And I would like to point out that a male who considers himself a female is still a male, and thus his gender is male. And vice versa.

But moreover, elves are special cases in and of themselves. Everyone, of course, likes to point out Corellon (sp, depending on setting) but does anyone actually bother thinking about it? Corellon is "androgynous" yet He has impregnated female gods and is plainly male in sexuality.

So yes, it does matter. Only not in V's case, since V is more interested in magic than child rearing.

The four words may just be "Let's have a baby." Only not likely at all, since seeing V's mate would only bring up more theories unless the mate was also androgynous.

BisectedBrioche
2007-12-09, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the boards.

Welcome to the internet. :smallamused:

And I would like to point out that a male who considers himself a female is still a male, and thus his gender is male. And vice versa.

Careful, that could open a can of worms.
If a male considers himself female then his gender is female, his sex is what is male (semantics people, semantics! :smallbiggrin:).

The Extinguisher
2007-12-09, 11:54 PM
V is an Aboleth who changes it's illusion from male and female at random intervals.

Silvermike
2007-12-09, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the internet. :smallamused:

Careful, that could open a can of worms.
If a male considers himself female then his gender is female, his sex is what is male (semantics people, semantics! :smallbiggrin:).

Gender is masculine or feminine, sex is male or female. When people use 'gender' to describe a person's chromosomal or genital type, it's usually (intentionally or otherwise) because of people like to be euphemistic rather than say 'sex.'

NikkTheTrick
2007-12-10, 12:00 AM
Let's see... Roy's called V "V-man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html)"

Nale's referred to V as a "chick (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)".

Sabine has referred to V as both a male (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html) and a female.

So who's right?
Sabine:smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2007-12-10, 12:11 AM
EDIT: Added links, but can't find the specific instance of Sabine referring to V as female, but I'm almost positive it happened.In 385, panel 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html), Sabine addresses em as "Sister".

The way I see it, Sabine is the foremost expert on matters relating to humanoid sexuality we've seen in the strip. If even she can't make up her mind about what Vaarsuvius is, that's definitive. Vaarsuvius is True Neutral.

monty
2007-12-10, 12:19 AM
gen·der
n.

1. The sex of an individual, male or female, based on reproductive anatomy.
2. Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

It's both, actually. Unlike some people, I took the time to look it up before posting my opinion.

Spiky
2007-12-10, 01:27 AM
Would now be the time for a colorful metaphor?

Kimpire
2007-12-10, 01:30 AM

I agree with Gray Watcher. This is the best theory ever. You have a subscriber! Now I wonder if I should put it in my signature.

Mando Knight
2007-12-10, 01:48 AM
Or... V could be both. No one said that OotS's campaign world couldn't have hermaphroditic elves... and V said in 385 that :vaarsuvius: isn't qualified to comment on gender traits...

...or perhaps that means that V is actually a male...

In any case, whenever grammar dictates that I refer to V by a pronoun in these forums, I shall now use V's pic, as I did above.

TDG
2007-12-10, 02:01 AM

Of course! And they're mates with eachother! Its so clear now!

Jayngfet
2007-12-10, 02:22 AM
no doubt this theory's been done, but V's mate is just as hard to discern, or thier both women and I make cardcaptors jokes

Tass
2007-12-10, 03:31 AM

Preach it brother!

Xandro
2007-12-10, 05:05 AM

I like this assumption ... :smallbiggrin:

How many threads do we already have, starting: "I know for sure, which gender V has, because somebody in the comic is referring to him/her as a 'he'/'she'?" ???
Have theese thread-starters read the whole comic or just one page, that they didn't realize, that it explains nothing because there're more than enough examples of quotes which prove exactly the different point of view?

How about a new forum rule, which states that everyone who starts such a gender thread is punished dreadfully (perharps being forced to inventing puns for Elan or something like that?)

O.k. - my point of view concerning V is still the same: We can't say his gender for sure, but the probability of him/her being female is much lower than the probability of him/her being male. I've derived about 2 percent in the last thread of this kind but the empirical basis is relatively small ...

Gitman00
2007-12-10, 05:17 AM
*grumble*

You guys do know that there's another one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64798) of these threads still on the first page, right?:smallannoyed:

Let it die, already. And yes, I'm aware of the irony that this post bumped the thread again.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-10, 05:22 AM
Every repost is repost repost, Gitman. I've given up trying to fight it, as my brain's gone all squibbly from rage.

Yendor
2007-12-10, 07:04 AM
How about a new forum rule, which states that everyone who starts such a gender thread is punished dreadfully (perharps being forced to inventing puns for Elan or something like that?)

I was thinking more along the lines of having them play tetherball with the MitD.

No, wait, the other way around.

Bayar
2007-12-10, 07:16 AM
Just 1 thing to add to all the madness...

Is V and his/her mate avare of each other's sex?

Because :
...if they are male/female, no problem (does not matter who is male, who is female)
...if they are both female...it could work.
...if they are both hemaphrodite...meh...could work...
...if they are both male....*books 1 way ticket to Chernobil*

Mando Knight
2007-12-10, 07:53 AM
Anyone who posts new threads of this genre must be killing something...

...Aha!

...Every time you create a thread claiming proof of V's gender, you kill a raven.

Please, think of the ravens.

Edit: Second thought, scratch the raven, write in Monster in the Darkness.

Kimpire
2007-12-10, 08:06 AM

It just occurred to me.

Is the plural of Vaarsuvius Vaarsuvii?

Xandro
2007-12-10, 08:32 AM
It just occurred to me.

Is the plural of Vaarsuvius Vaarsuvii?

If the plural of Vaarsuvius was Vaarsuvii, then it would be obvious that he/she is masculine. But there are words in the Latin language, which are neutre and end with "-us", and then nominative plural of "Varsuvius" would be "Vaarsuviua". :smallsigh:

( http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/115842 )

Sounds strange ...:smallconfused:

Epinephrine
2007-12-10, 08:52 AM
It's both, actually. Unlike some people, I took the time to look it up before posting my opinion.

No, some of us are simply using a more precise terminology from another field (e.g., psychology).

While gender is used by most as equivalent to sex, to those who study sexuality gender refers instead to one's self image, gender roles, the social dimension of sexuality and so on.

For example, the World Health Organization on gender:
http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/index.html

American Psychological Association on gender
http://www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html#whatis

I would suggest that most of us are in fact wondering about sex, not gender.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 09:00 AM
Isnt V a Wizard?...Wizards don't have genders...your funny

Ceaon
2007-12-10, 09:13 AM
Just 1 thing to add to all the madness...

Is V and his/her mate avare of each other's sex?

Because :
...if they are male/female, no problem (does not matter who is male, who is female)
...if they are both female...it could work.
...if they are both hemaphrodite...meh...could work...
...if they are both male....*books 1 way ticket to Chernobil*

I'm thinking yes, because Vaarsuvius doesn't seem to be aware of his gender ambiguity, so she knows which gender his mate is. She'd be pretty openminded dating someone not knowing the sex of that person, but hey, I'm sure that happens.

I'm going to pretend the rest of your post is not there.

monty
2007-12-10, 09:45 AM
No, some of us are simply using a more precise terminology from another field (e.g., psychology).

Let me rephrase that. It's both, depending on what definition you use. A different definition from another field is still a different definition.

Khanderas
2007-12-10, 10:18 AM
Bonus points for adding "spoiler" in the title.
Youknow for seeing one instance of "she" among the half dozen "he" and "she"

Hidalgo
2007-12-10, 10:24 AM

so what? it's doesn't mean she is a female. in many other strips people say he.

Chronos
2007-12-10, 01:52 PM
If the plural of Vaarsuvius was Vaarsuvii, then it would be obvious that he/she is masculine. But there are words in the Latin language, which are neutre and end with "-us", and then nominative plural of "Varsuvius" would be "Vaarsuviua".Actually, the neuter plural of Vaarsuvius would be Vaarsuvia, with no u at the end. But other than that, you're correct.

Unless, of course, Elvish just coincidentally has -us as a neuter ending with -i for the plural, with no actual relationship to Latin at all. What is this "Rome" you speak of?

Chronos
2007-12-10, 02:11 PM
If the plural of Vaarsuvius was Vaarsuvii, then it would be obvious that he/she is masculine. But there are words in the Latin language, which are neutre and end with "-us", and then nominative plural of "Varsuvius" would be "Vaarsuviua".Actually, the neuter plural of Vaarsuvius would be Vaarsuvia, with no u at the end. But other than that, you're correct.

Unless, of course, Elvish just coincidentally has -us as a neuter ending with -i for the plural, with no actual relationship to Latin at all. What is this "Rome" you speak of?

Yendor
2007-12-10, 06:17 PM
Bonus points for adding "spoiler" in the title.

No, no, no.

spoly adj. (spolier, spoliest) Appearing profound and original, but actually trite: We grew bored as he made his spoly observations.

This is clearly a spoly topic, in fact more so than usual, so we need the "spolier" warning in the title.

Verick Severith
2007-12-11, 07:42 AM
I'm convinced that V is male is simply because of the body they show in comic 186 which uses the male form rather then the female one

Granted that isn't the most solid of proofs but we've yet to see a female humanoid who has that body type in this comic.

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-12-11, 11:55 AM
Actually, 186 is one of the few times V. has looked distinctly feminine, the rest of the time s/he has looked male to me. I have a lot of trouble seeing him/her as a female most of the time, other than in that comic.

Covenantwgw
2007-12-11, 11:59 AM
She's a hot elf chick until someone proves beyond resonable doubt otherwise. Mind you that's simply my opinion and reflects no one and nothing else.

Twilight Jack
2007-12-11, 12:25 PM
This is silly. Not only do people seem to consistently use the word 'gender' when talking about what V might have between hir legs (which would be hir sex, gender is between the ears), but they seem to forget there are real people who aren't one or the other. Why this need to pin down an intentionally androgynous character from fantasy fiction to one of the two binary sexes? All the text we have so far suggests V doesn't ID with either gender, and things like hir condescension when they find the bathroom in the dungeon crawl suggest V considers hirself to be above bodily matters, and therefore hir sex to be unimportant. And if V's sex is unimportant to V, why should it matter to us?

Well stated, with a not inconsiderable grasp of feminist theory.

Honestly, this discussion is never going to be resolved one way or another. V clearly possesses an atypical gender identity. Ultimately, since V doesn't seem to hold sex or gender as a matter of import as relates to ver career choices, it really is a rather pointless argument as well. The only character we've met for whom V's dangly bits or lack thereof could possibly be of legitimate concern is Belkar.

So what say we let Belkar worry about it?

Mc. Lovin'
2007-12-11, 12:41 PM
*facepalm*

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-11, 12:47 PM
I have a solution to these types of posts:

Start a Sticky Thread with all the most common theories, and what the "most correct: answers are.

Have the theory in the open, with a spoiler tag showing the most correct answer, like this:

Is Vaarsuvius a male of female? I think V is M. or F. (As determined by the theorist.)

V is neither. V is believed to have begun as a male character, but when speculation about V's gender began on the forum boards, V's shifted to ambigious. No one anymore KNOWS if V is male or female, it's up to the individual to decide for themselves.

I think the MitD is a piece of the Snarl! Why didn't anyone ever suggest that before?

It's been suggested about 10,000 times. In the past week! You're FAR from the first. However, the book Start of Darkness pretty much rules out that theory. Buy the book, and you'll see.

Therkla is Redcloak's Niece! Go me, I rock!

No. Therkla is a half-orc, just like Thog. She's NOT a goblin.

Is Sabine a demon or a devil?

She's a demon, a succubus to be specific, home-brewed by Rich for the story. The cold iron are probably the arrows that hurt her, but it's not total proof.

I'm sure others could be suggested.

Chronos
2007-12-11, 05:51 PM
Who decides what the "most correct" answer is, though? Some of them, there's a clear-cut answer (Therkla), but some of them, there are clues, but the true answer is still up in the air (the Monster in the Darkness), and some of them, the evidence is inconsistent (Sabine's species).

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-11, 11:05 PM
Who decides what the "most correct" answer is, though? Some of them, there's a clear-cut answer (Therkla), but some of them, there are clues, but the true answer is still up in the air (the Monster in the Darkness), and some of them, the evidence is inconsistent (Sabine's species).

While the MitD IS still up un the air, most agree what he IS NOT. He's NOT a piece of the Snarl.

As for Sabine, that was addressed... She's what I said she is, modified to what Rich WANTS her to be. Any DM worth his salt "tweaks" the monsters, to deal with players who memorize the Monster Manual. :smallamused:

I'm not proposing the end all and be all solution to every mystery, I'm just thinking of a way to keep the same old "Hi! I'm new to the board, and I have a theory! (Fill in the blank of the theory of the moment) Why didn't anyone ever suggest that before?"

Lunaya
2007-12-11, 11:11 PM
EDIT: Added links, but can't find the specific instance of Sabine referring to V as female, but I'm almost positive it happened.
When Sabine was mad at Nale, she got drunk at a bar and randomly asked V's opinion as to why men are such jerks. Apparently, she thought that V was a fellow female.

When we do meet V's spouse, I betcha he or she is going to be just as ambiguously gendered as V, leading to even more speculation. Someone brought up child-rearing. When V and his/her mate are reuninted, I wouldn't put it past Rich to get one of them pregnant, only to have it revealed that male elves are capable of bearing children. I would love to see someone try to explain that to Belkar. :smallbiggrin:

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-12, 05:30 AM
Better yet, get em both pregnant, try explaining that one to Belkar

Kish
2007-12-12, 05:51 AM
As for Sabine, that was addressed... She's what I said she is, modified to what Rich WANTS her to be.
You know, if you want to maintain some kind of FAQ with all the answers you'd give, I don't believe anyone would stop you. It would, perhaps, carry slightly less weight than everyone agreeing it had the "most correct" answers, but expecting that is even more of a pipe dream than expecting Rich to give official answers.

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-12, 06:52 AM
As for Sabine, that was addressed... She's what I said she is, modified to what Rich WANTS her to be. Any DM worth his salt "tweaks" the monsters, to deal with players who memorize the Monster Manual. :smallamused: Just because you say she's a modded succubus she is? No. Whether Sabine is a demon or devil is clearly intended to be just as ambiguous as V's gender/sex. It has been addressed. Many many times. And the conclusion is always that there's plenty of ammunition for either side and even "neither" in some cases and the only solid answer is "homebrewed". Even applying a Half-Fiend template will account for at least as many traits as 'modified demon/devil' will (bat wings, flight, DR, natural armor, for example).

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-12, 08:32 AM
Just because you say she's a modded succubus she is? No. Whether Sabine is a demon or devil is clearly intended to be just as ambiguous as V's gender/sex. It has been addressed. Many many times. And the conclusion is always that there's plenty of ammunition for either side and even "neither" in some cases and the only solid answer is "homebrewed". Even applying a Half-Fiend template will account for at least as many traits as 'modified demon/devil' will (bat wings, flight, DR, natural armor, for example).

She's a succubus because "I" say so? No, not at all. She's a succubus because the preponderance of evidence says she is? Yeah.

Nale, sugar, I'm literally an incarnation of illicit sex, do I seem like I would get hung up on who you sleep with? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0394.html)

Add in all the rest, bat wings, DR, natural armor, energy drain, etc, and you've got a succubus. (I don't have my Monster Manual handy, so forgive me not beting book accurate. :smallwink: )

Applying templates on top of templates is needlessly complicated. Although that is something Nale would do... A multiclass fighter/rogue/sorceror who specializes in enchantments... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) :smallamused:

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-12, 09:12 AM
She's a succubus because "I" say so? No, not at all. She's a succubus because the preponderance of evidence says she is? Yeah.

Nale, sugar, I'm literally an incarnation of illicit sex, do I seem like I would get hung up on who you sleep with? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0394.html)

Add in all the rest, bat wings, DR, natural armor, energy drain, etc, and you've got a succubus. (I don't have my Monster Manual handy, so forgive me not beting book accurate. :smallwink: )

Applying templates on top of templates is needlessly complicated. Although that is something Nale would do... A multiclass fighter/rogue/sorceror who specializes in enchantments... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) :smallamused:Nowhere in the description of Succubus is it described as "an incarnation of illicit sex". A succubus uses "an act of passion" to drain levels. It's a tool. I'll grant that this is the one singular aspect of Sabine that matches succubus and nothing else, but she doesn't follow the description on how it's to be used. She doesn't kiss or embrace, or even initiate a grapple. It's a simple touch attack. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0343.html) Furthermore, a succubus doesn't have the capacity for interplanar travel, doesn't like combat, only has a strength of 13 and is explicitly limited to carrying no more than 50 lbs while flying.

Who said anything about templates on top of templates? Simply applying the half-fiend template grants all those things before you even get into spell abilities granted by levels.

And here's my biggest gripe about it, what's so hard in accepting that Rich may simply have homebrewed a fiend that isn't in the Monster Manual?

Links to two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28340) previous (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4913) discussions.

Chronos
2007-12-13, 01:53 AM
As for Sabine, that was addressed... She's what I said she is, modified to what Rich WANTS her to be. Any DM worth his salt "tweaks" the monsters, to deal with players who memorize the Monster Manual.She could equally well be an erinyes, modified to what Rich wants her to be. If she's a succubus, then Rich changed her alignment, and if she's an erinyes, then Rich changed what kind of wings she has. In either case, he gave her a higher strength and a Plane Shift ability, and in either case, she's an evil incarnation of illicit sex.

Turcano
2007-12-13, 02:19 AM
Every repost is repost repost, Gitman. I've given up trying to fight it, as my brain's gone all squibbly from rage.

Fight it the way I do, and let Worf convey your exasperation:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6616/worfnotagaintk3.gif

The Extinguisher
2007-12-13, 02:20 AM
She's a half-demon, half-devil homebrewed fiend from the Gray Wastes with a DR/Silver AND Cold Iron.

Duh.

Invisible Queen
2007-12-13, 06:57 AM
The need to assign a gender value to V stems from a deep -- and, indeed, instinctive -- insecurity involving the unknown.
I just want to know cause I'd prefer to not have to use the word "hir", which is awful. >_>

("Xe" is great though.)

monty
2007-12-13, 09:47 AM
I think I'll just start using "it" rather than all those annoying combination pronouns.

Niknokitueu
2007-12-13, 10:02 AM
Meh. I'll keep calling V 'him', as it is acceptable as a default pronoun (and I am old enough that male pronouns were used as 'standard' when it could refer to either male, female or both sexes).

As I previously stated, Rich has said for the record that V has no definite gender. Any allusions to a gender must therefore just be a subconcious projection of the author. V is, and apparently will always remain, an indefinite article :smallbiggrin:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Shraik
2007-12-13, 01:40 PM
V is a Unich, simple as that

geekyhedgehog
2007-12-13, 03:10 PM
On Pronoun Debate:

Come on! 'V' is shorter than 'him', 'her', 'it', 'hir', whatever you come up with. It's shorter, gender-neutral, and inoffensive. Use it!

dragoncmd
2007-12-13, 11:03 PM

um its actually the most logical explanation yet...

monty
2007-12-14, 12:04 AM
um its actually the most logical explanation yet...

I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning...

Lunaya
2007-12-14, 05:59 AM
I think I'm just gonna go with "he" until I'm proven wrong. :smallwink:

Chronos
2007-12-14, 07:04 PM
I just want to know cause I'd prefer to not have to use the word "hir", which is awful. >_>Personally, I prefer the Spivak pronouns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spivak_pronoun), which I find fit fairly comfortably into English-language speech patterns. As an added bonus, they're also consistent with Durkon referring to Vaarsuvius as " 'e" (though Durkon's word isn't any more definitive than anyone else's).

Studoku
2007-12-14, 07:43 PM
Gender is masculine or feminine, sex is male or female. When people use 'gender' to describe a person's chromosomal or genital type, it's usually (intentionally or otherwise) because of people like to be euphemistic rather than say 'sex.'

It can also be used on questionaires because otherwise some idiot writes 'yes please'. Actually, that could be V's sex.

Kish
2007-12-15, 06:35 AM
It can also be used on questionaires because otherwise some idiot writes 'yes please'. Actually, that could be V's sex.
All things considered, I think V's sex is more likely to be "No thank you."

Lunaya
2007-12-15, 08:30 AM
Because V's noble elven metabolism can go for months without..uh..you know. :smallredface:

GrayMatter
2007-12-15, 12:53 PM

Hi, sorry to burst your chat bubble, but a lot of characters have pronoun'ed V one way or the other.
Sometimes (tricky tricky TG) the same char has gendered V different ways at different times, calling him/her dude (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html) and later on sister (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html).

So, no joy. You'd think of all the characters in this strip, SHE'd know lol.

GrayMatter
2007-12-15, 12:55 PM
She's a half-demon, half-devil homebrewed fiend from the Gray Wastes with a DR/Silver AND Cold Iron.

Duh.-n duhn DUN!

GrayMatter
2007-12-15, 01:00 PM

I'm sorry, that's just ludicrous on the face of it. They'd obviously be using invisibility spells, not ninja skills.

BRC
2007-12-15, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry, that's just ludicrous on the face of it. They'd obviously be using invisibility spells, not ninja skills.
Why would they do that?
Both Varsuvusses are obviously multiclass Superninja/wizards, so why would they waste spell slots? Let me give you an example.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0452.html

As you can see, V supposably cast invisibility, but wizards have limited spell slots and he was preparing for a massive battle, so why waste a spell slot on a spell with limited usefullness like Invisibility. Rather we see what is clearly some pink cotton candy in the bottom right hand corner of the panel. 2 panels later V speaks, but in a way that the Capitan cannot discern his location, clearly showing V's clever ninja skillz.

Chronos
2007-12-15, 03:30 PM
Rather we see what is clearly some pink cotton candy in the bottom right hand corner of the panel.Now you're arguing against your own point. Everyone knows that cotton candy is anathema to ninjas.

BRC
2007-12-15, 03:34 PM
Now you're arguing against your own point. Everyone knows that cotton candy is anathema to ninjas.
Thats just how good the V's are, they is able to use cotton candy while still being ninjas, and because cotton candy is anathema to ninjas everybody would THINK that they couldn't be ninjas, but no, thats all part of the disguise!

KaiserDrac
2007-12-15, 04:20 PM
V is obviously an hamathfradite

Sonar009
2008-03-26, 08:52 PM
In 385, panel 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html), Sabine addresses em as "Sister".

She was also drunk. (Willingly or due to the alcohol, who really knows? Besides, she has referred to V in the past as male, as well.)

Lupy
2008-03-28, 04:07 PM
V was born as both (yes it happens) and an incompetant cleric cast "dispell genitals (sp??) twice by accident...

Chronos
2008-03-28, 04:39 PM
She was also drunk. (Willingly or due to the alcohol, who really knows? Besides, she has referred to V in the past as male, as well.)Which is why I'm firmly in the camp that V is True Neutral. If even Sabine can't make up her mind, then nobody can.

Bayar
2008-03-28, 04:51 PM
Why did this thread ressurected?

V's gender will remain a mystery. To everybody. Even to the Giant. So get over yourselves.

But yeah, I am leaning towards hemaphrodyte too...

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-28, 05:34 PM
It's not that people debate Vaarsuvius' gender and/or sex, it's the "I have solid, irrefutable proof, so don't you dare contradict me with other evidence!" attitude that bugs me.

Reminds me too much of the old Yahoo Message boards flame wars:

"Supporters of the opposing political party are idiots!"
"FACT!"

:smallmad:

Nobody has solid proof, one way or the other. Rich has steadily obscured the trail, and for each "V as a man" strip, there is a "V is a woman" strip to counter.

V is V.

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-28, 09:35 PM
I'm sure other people have said this already but I was to lazy to read them all but I think this needs to be said:
"PEOPLE CALL V A HE OR A SHE ALL THE TIME!!!!! EVEN ROY CALLED V V-MAN IN THE BEGINNG!":smallfurious:

Arkenputtyknife
2008-03-28, 11:43 PM
Hah. V is really two people — identical twins, one male, one female, who dress and act the same, and who swap places when no one is looking.

Ceaon
2008-03-29, 04:50 AM

Hah. V is really two people — identical twins, one male, one female, who dress and act the same, and who swap places when no one is looking.

That is... uncanny :smalleek:!

Fii
2008-03-29, 05:29 AM
About the Latin declension debate in regards to determining V's gender:

V's name can't have come from Latin, despite mount Vesuvius being similar. While it may have been borrowed phonetically (sp?), the grammar doesn't coincide- the reoccuring as in V's name clash with the rule about every vowel or dipthong having its own syllable, as 'aa' isn't a dipthong. Violating that grammar rule should invalidate the use of the ending grammar rule as evidence.

I'd like to know the "truth" because I have a fear that one day the way I invision V will be proven incorrect, and that my mind will suffer from the thought "those body parts aren't supposed to be there!" For the record, I think V is a girl, and this opinion is biased by the fact that I am a girl, so I will not attempt to prove her/him one way or the other.

Also- on the V duplicate theory-

V is not the ninja type, as ninja implies a sneak attack or at least a proficiency with shuriken, which V has never been shown to possess.

So, while the theory may otherwise hold- it's probably more a well timed invisibility/ dispel invisibility, and we can hope that Haley never acquires loot that would reveal this occuring.

Oh- and lastly, PUNishing me with pun creation tasks wouldn't help you. I LOVE puns.

Threeshades
2008-03-29, 07:17 AM

Now this is just ridiculous. Everyone knows only Dwarves have racial Ninja skills

curtis
2008-03-31, 06:53 AM
I think I remember seeing the giant say that V's sex wasn't meant to be ambigious, so IF this matter can be proved by looking at comics, you should use the first reference (V-man, comic 9)

Gensuru
2008-03-31, 07:46 AM
Well i canīt claim to have the absolute truth on this matter but i find something rather interesting: the way the group separates when they go to sleep. The two times i can recall them entering a hotel (after beating the dungeon and during their travel with Miko) V was sleeping in one room with the female of the group: Haley. The second time was the more interesting one at that: Miko ordered two rooms: one for males and one for females to which V was the first to complain and order a third room since she would not sleep in the same room as Miko "I shall only room with Miss Starshine!". Also when the female Roy was about to go to the drawf-assassinīs room he did not only take Haley with him but V as well. While all this is certainly not an absolute proof it is to me a nice hint at Vīs sex. Personaly i consider Vaarsuvius as a female.

Hesquidor
2008-03-31, 11:15 AM
But V is very sexually non-threatening so Haley might not mind sleeping in the same room as V even if it does turn out it's he's a he. (Actually does Haley know V's gender?) And I think that V would prefer sharing a room with Haley. I mean could you imagine trying to get to sleep in a room with Belkar and Elan?

Gamerlord
2008-03-31, 01:20 PM
thats not proof but i have triple-ultra solid proof
no 5-letter b words on his chest

The Hop Goblin
2008-03-31, 01:44 PM
Would now be the time for a colorful metaphor?

One damn-moment, Admiral.

Rheb
2008-03-31, 02:09 PM
But why hasn't just Belkar checked when he/she was unconscious in trance or something...?

DanielX
2008-03-31, 02:13 PM
Using the "Latin" declensions, Vaarsuvius could be...

- 2nd declension, masculine nominative singular (most common by far)
- 3rd declension, masculine (or possibly feminine) nominative singular (unlikely). Most likely an i-stem, if so.
- 4th declension, masculine or neuter genitive singular, or masculine nominative singular or plural. (Depends if the last "u" is long or short).
- then add in adjective or adverb forms (e.g. "ius" mean be a neuter comparative adjective - thus "Vaarsuvius" would mean something like "more vaarsuvy" - or, as I just learned today, a comparative adverb of any gender - "more vaarsuvily").

This seems to suggest "Vaarsuvius" is probably masculine, less likely neuter, and not likely feminine. I'd like to know what Vaarsuvius is in other tenses - genitive, dative, etc. - to know exactly.

Problem is, as pointed out earlier, Latin doesn't use doubled vowels much, and then they aren't diphthongs but two separate syllables. E.g. "Vaarsuvius" would most likely be "wa-ahr-soo-wii-us", a bit awkward and not something Yoo-li-us Kai-sar would find especially familiar. Possibility is that Elvish isn't "Latin" but "changed/deformed Latin", using the same declensions but with a different stressed syllable indicated by vowel doubling, making actual pronunciation "wahr-soo-wii-us" and proper Latin spelling Varsuvius.

And even then, the stress in Latin is either on the antepenultimate (3rd-to-last) or penultimate (2nd-to-last) syllable, depending on... I forget exactly, but it has to do in part with long and short vowels. So the pronunciation in proper Latin might be very weird.

That leaves the question, mostly irrelevant to the original question: how do you pronounce "Vaarsuvius"? "aa" diphthong or two separate syllables? V's or W's (classical Latin uses "W" sound for "V")? Final u long (vii-oos) or short (vii-uhs)? Where is the tonus? Does V have anything to say himself/herself on the pronunciation of his/her/its own name?

And my theory, completely unproved, is that Vaarsuvius is male, generally because among fantasy elves, its usually the males who are 'ambiguous', while females are much more likely to be "feminine". Watch the Lord of the Rings movies (actual appearance may have nothing to do with the books, of course). Arwen and Galadriel are very much feminine, but Legolas is kind of ambiguous-looking and even Elrond has long hair and isn't a stereotypical he-man the way his daughter and mother-n-law are feminine. There's likely a similar dynamic in this comic, as Lirian is (apparently) quite feminine. We have yet to see any unambiguously male full-blooded elves, although this may change in the future (or maybe in one of the purchased comics? I'm cheap and haven't bought them :smalltongue: ).

Lira
2008-03-31, 02:33 PM
That leaves the question, mostly irrelevant to the original question: how do you pronounce "Vaarsuvius"?The Giant says it's pronounced as "vahr-SOOV-ee-us".

Crazeemeel
2008-04-03, 11:27 AM
I don't know if someone has mentioned this but in strip #306 one of the human wizards who V is with say call V a "him". So clearly you can't take the word of any single NPC to be truth since they already contradict each other.

Trizap
2008-04-03, 12:46 PM
hmmmmmmmmm....

well on a certain strip, Belkar kissed V, he was drunk at the time from like ten beers but we all know from Belkar making fun of Roy when Roy had the girdle of feminity/masculinity, that he isn't gay, but then again he was drunk at the time so we just have to ask Belkar how it felt to kiss V, if he says "hot" then V's female, if he says "weird..." then V's male. or if Belkar catched up on his lizard anatomy, he would know.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-03, 01:39 PM
4 months, people. 4 MONTHS. LET IT DIE! Don't be http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/Tsukiko.png.

curtis
2008-04-03, 03:19 PM
My opinion is that V's female.

OITS
2008-04-03, 04:36 PM
No matter what ever will happen, I will always think of her being female.

CultofBanjulhu
2008-04-03, 04:45 PM
gamerkid does kind of have a point though.

HoodedHero007
2015-12-14, 11:42 AM
in The Origin of PCs, Vaarsuvius assumes that the reason Roy hired her was that she "intimidated you intellectually, causing your masculine mind to attempt to establish dominance over my superior intellect" (I forget the exact quote, but most details were the same). As a side note, vaarsuvius's mate called her "suvie", and that most definitely sounds female.

In short, Vaarsuvius is a moderate female feminist:vaarsuvius:

The Giant
2015-12-14, 11:46 AM
Do not post to threads from 2008. Please only post to threads from within the last 45 days.

Thread locked.