PDA

View Full Version : Playtest 7 warlock invocation question

The-Sorcerer12
2023-10-12, 08:44 PM
So I was looking throught the playtest invocations and one caught my eye the invocation is

LESSONS OF THE FIRST ONES
Prerequisite: Level 2+ Warlock
You have received knowledge from an elder entity of the multiverse, allowing you to gain one feat of your choice, such as Skilled, that lacks prerequisites. Repeatable. You can gain this invocation more than once. Each time you do so, you must select a different eligible feat.

So my question is So I can pick any feat as long as it don't have any Prerequisites. So I can pick Gift of the Metallic Dragon, Fey Touched, ect

Kane0
2023-10-12, 08:52 PM
If they exist in OneD&D I suppose so, or if you play the backwards-compatibility card.

Quietus
2023-10-12, 09:54 PM
I expect those feats will have a "character level 4" requirement on them. The feats we've seen so far without requirements are things strictly in the level of Skilled and Tough.

Kane0
2023-10-12, 10:37 PM
I expect those feats will have a "character level 4" requirement on them. The feats we've seen so far without requirements are things strictly in the level of Skilled and Tough.

And Alert and Lucky. There were definitely some winners and losers in that bunch.

The full list of level 1, no-requirement feats in that playtest packet were Alert, Crafter, Healer, Lucky, Magic Initiate, Musician, Savage Attacker, Skilled, Tavern Brawler and Tough. Later packets all had feats with requirements.

Monster Manuel
2023-10-13, 11:19 AM

I expect the issue here is that there will be a bunch of feats that were presented in other sourcebooks (Xanathar's, Tasha's, Fizban's, Bigby's, etc) that are not going to be included in the core 2024 books, but *should* be valid given backwards-compatibility.

None of these other feats had a level-prerequisite, because that wasn't a thing the rules did, yet*. Very few existing feats have any other Prerequisites on them, and so will be available for the Invocation, but maybe SHOULD have a level-based prereq to keep them in line, power-level-wise, with the revised 2024 Core feats.

How do we make existing feats line up with the design of the 2024 feats? I doubt there will be a table of "Level prerequisites for legacy feats from other sources" in the 2024 PHB. I'm expecting a level of "It's up to the DM to determine what's OK to use".

This won't only be an issue for the Invocation, BTW. We'll also need to know whether feats without prereqs from other sources are valid as level 1 background feats, because the background feature says to pick a 1st level feat, and nothing previously published was explicitly a "1st level" feat. So, I'm sure it will have to be addressed in some capacity.

RAW, though, as far as what we've seen from the playtests, Gift of the Metallic Dragon (for example) has no prerequisites, so it should be fair game for Lessons of the First Ones.

*edit: it occurred to me after the fact that they did start putting level prereqs in more frequently, I think starting with Fizban? So, there are some level 4+ feats out there that do disqualify themselves. But there's a lot to cover from Tahsa's and Xanathar's that don't.

Yakk
2023-10-13, 04:47 PM
The easy solution is:

LESSONS OF THE FIRST ONES
Prerequisite: Level 2+ Warlock
You have received knowledge from an elder entity of the multiverse, allowing you to gain one 1st level feat of your choice, such as Skilled, that otherwise lacks prerequisites. Repeatable. You can gain this invocation more than once. Each time you do so, you must select a different eligible feat.
Then legacy feats have to have "1st level" added to them to qualify.

Quietus
2023-10-14, 12:10 AM
The easy solution is:

Then legacy feats have to have "1st level" added to them to qualify.

I expect there'll be a basic line added that "If a legacy feat was not republished here, treat it as though it had a level requirement of 4, unless otherwise noted."