PDA

View Full Version : LITRPG game suggestions (my players stay out)

Gnaeus
2023-10-14, 09:24 AM
First, not sure if this needs to go to homebrew. Apologies if it does.

I've been reading a lot of LITRPG, especially the amazing Dungeon Crawler Carl, and have been puzzling for a while how to run a similar game. This is kind of meta, in the sense that it is running a game, inspired by fantasy fiction, which is inspired by gaming, which is inspired by fantasy fiction. But anyway, for those who don't know, the system integration subgenre is roughly characterized by generally modern people who abruptly find themselves in a world which incorporates gamist mechanics, like character sheets, levels, stats, classes, etc.

So I was advised to start where I was most comfortable, which is 3.PF. My essential system base is 3.PF. So Standard+move+swift actions, 30' move base, Fort/Ref/Will saves. If there is a condition, like fatigued, I am generally reverting to 3.pf descriptions. Skills generally based on 3.5, unless there needs to be a d20modern import, like computers. Skills can be upgraded via accomplishments or loot, so one player for example was able to upgrade to the PF perception skill, incorporating spot, listen and search (this was an error on my part, as it creates confusion with the perception stat). Other genre skills will over time become available, like Map and analyze opponent. All rolls (including skills and saves) will allow for crit successes and failures. Armor as DR.

Major changes. I am replacing all d20 rolls with 2d10. That way I have a little bit of a bell curve on probabilities. Players, as per genre norms, have very limited understanding of system, which is convenient, as I'm working through it as I go. I have expanded the stats: Str, Dex, Speed, Con, Vitality, Int, Willpower, Perception, Cha Luck. Stats start 13, 12, 11, 10, 8,8,8,8,8,8 arrange as desired. HP=con. Skill points =int. Mana = Willpower x10 and Body points =Vitality x10. All characters start as a level 1 Schmuck. The first time a stat hits 15 their class upgrades to 15 they upgrade to "Stat adjective Schmuck" like Strong Schmuck, Smart Schmuck etc. Schmuck allocates 4 stat points per level. The upgraded classes get 5, but 2 have to be in the primary stat of the class. At level 5, characters will be given the opportunity to select a class, which are generally selected from D20 system sources (which will include both d20 star wars and starfinder), based on their stats and accomplishments, from individualized lists. So, for example, the player with healing and martial arts skills will be given choices like Monk, Healer, Vivisectionist Alchemist, Combat Medic, etc. Players will have only basic descriptions of what their class choices do. Those will all have different stat allocations upon leveling, basic abilities on class selection, and more abilities from the class unlocking over time. Or they can pick a roll for a random class I pregenerated for them. At level 10 they will be given a similar choice to evolve their race from class appropriate fantasy and sci-fi races. I will give them another class upgrade option, probably at 15 or 20.

Abilities are being awarded based on accomplishments and (mostly) loot. Abilities are imported from various d20 sources, with a heavy Path of War and basic casting influence so far. So one character, for example, has acquired the shocking grasp spell (cost 10 mana per caster level) and another has the Rapid Strike maneuver (limited to unarmed strikes only, cost 10 body points per use).

I have run a couple of sessions so far and it seems to be working ok. It appears to be giving them what I want, which is kind of a WTF is happening feel appropriate to the genre, along with some character customization, but in a way where I have a lot of control, so the most optimized player and the least are easily within my ability to crank up or down to adjust party balance. They will soon find a crystal that will allow them to unlock the settlement building minigame. Its pretty swingy, since there is no BAB progression and hp are low, but I think that will mitigate when they get some DR and higher con.

Party composition is at this point:
Level 3 Agile Schmuck, based on Roland from dark tower. Has a gun, running out of ammo. Currently holding game title for kill leader. Managed to headshot the kobold chief on round 1.
Level 3 Smart Schmuck, Archaeologist. Shocking Grasp, seems to be leaning towards an evil wizard. Gave him a Dark Sun style defiler power in which he can increase mana regen by sucking life out of small nearby creatures. Has been teleported out of play into an alien talk show and returned.
Level 3 Lucky Schmuck, Has some special aid another and reroll powers and a link to an alien criminal organization, started play with a diamond inserted up his, ahh, place.
Level 2 Schmuck Martial Artist, healer, potion crafter

and 2 Level 1 schmucks to enter play next game. A larper dressed as a klingon and an arsonist with his pet corgi.

Currently they are in the "tutorial zone". They have about 4.5 days before it integrates into a larger area including hostile parties.

Presented for others use and enjoyment, and for suggestions, either mechanical or narrative or source material recommendations.

Gnaeus
2023-10-14, 09:42 AM
They had a quest to get something from the kobold lair (the settlement crystal) Because of the lucky character's luck they arrived with the settlement completely off guard, but instead they chose to set a big fire outside the kobold lair, which resulted in a massive fight instead of the expected trivial encounters. But tpk was avoided by some good rolls that ended with the kobold leader and shaman being each one shot (by gun and shocking grasp, respectively) before they could do anything cool. When they find the kobold shrine they will be given the individual opportunities to take any of the Gods of Fury as patrons. (I could see Talos or Malar being chosen with this group). I haven't fully decided if the gods are gods, or are constructs that can be piloted by intergalactic patrons paying for the priviledge (DC Carl style). Leaning towards the latter. The 2 new players will be discovered in the kobold lair as prisoners. They have a secret kill quest for a gnome merchant on a lower floor.