PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [Roleplaying/Optimization] Ways/Reasons to Non-Fatally defeat an opposing Messiah?

Kuro Dmon
2023-10-15, 06:04 PM
Having a conversation with a friend about this, and trying to come up with ideas. They insist that the only way to deal with the Messiah of another/enemy deity is Assassination, reasoning that the figure is too persuasive to discredit, too wise to be tricked regarding allegiances, and would rapidly unseat your power if left unchecked.

I feel like that's boring, that the only folk who would be sent after a Messianic figure would be to *just* kill them. And I also feel like there are plenty of other options an opposing religion might take to attempt to deal with such a figure. I also question how easily it would be to make such a figure die in a way that doesn't martyr them, or trying to make it look like an accident.

In regards to reasons why, I've thought of a few myself. Attempting to find ways to make this figure "fall from grace" might not be impossible... I've certainly seen plenty of forum-ers who've had or heard debates about how stalwart a Paladin can stay in the face or persecution and challenge. :smallwink: But I'd also imagine wanting to find a way to use this person in a way that doesn't force either party's hand, at least until ways to truly remove them as a problem are found. Dismissing "working towards the same goals of unity and peace" too rashly seems like a waste to me...

And in regards to methods, I swear I thought there we spells that, while not outright lethal, would still incapacitate someone far greater than merely killing them. I swear I thought there was at least one spell that outright attempts to strip someone else of their connection to their religion/magic, find ways to control them in order to puppet them, or at least try to contain their soul in a way that doesn't send them to an opposing deity whom has already brought them back once before.

Anyone have any other food for thought for how and why to kill a young rising cleric at the bare end of their teens before they become a problem? I don't usually do evil, but I find myself contemplating the dark side of the alignment pool for options of practicality. A rare literal "Devil's Advocate" moment, if you will.

Doctor Despair
2023-10-15, 07:00 PM
Convert them. There's even a PRC build specifically for that: Evangelist.

Also: too persuasive to discredit? Balderdash. Kidnap them and replace them with a look-alike for a while. Usurp their popularity.

Clause
2023-10-15, 07:22 PM
You can convert him
Usurp his power and or fidels
Can take him out of scene (prison or other plane clausto)
Can trhow his name and credibility at sh...tty levels
Dhemoralize all their acts.
Make a imperial law that transforms his faith on heresy

and so on

redking
2023-10-16, 01:03 AM
Doppelganger that ruins his reputation by visiting prostitutes and not to preach to them.