PDA

View Full Version : great actors against useless movies

dehro
2007-12-10, 05:21 AM
taking inspiration from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65847) ..
what about actors of renown making bad career moves chosing to act in movies where their talent is crippled by plot, dialogue, quality and general uselessness
Sean Connery in "the league of extraordinary gentlemen" (come on..he even went as far as to say that he'd refused the role of gandalf because he was excited about playing alan quartermaine..and all he got was a few bad lines in an even worse movie)
morgan freeman playing God in whatsthenameofthemovie with jim carrey?? any half a decent actor could have delivered the same lines... total waste of talent.
christopher walken...come now..half of his latest movies are worth mentioning solely because he was in it...

Haruki-kun
2007-12-10, 11:00 AM
Well, it's not a popular opinion, but.....

I did not like the movie "Signs". At all. But of course I can't say many bad things about Mel Gibson. Just the movie.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2007-12-10, 11:36 AM
Well, it's not a popular opinion, but.....

I did not like the movie "Signs". At all. But of course I can't say many bad things about Mel Gibson. Just the movie.
As a Jew, I can say horrible things about Mel Gibson. :smallwink:
I can't really agree with you considering I have never seen Signs, but everyone in my family tells me it sucks.
I'm sort of thinking Toby Maguire in Spider-Man 3, but then again, he's not a very good actor in general.

Haruki-kun
2007-12-10, 11:47 AM
I can't really agree with you considering I have never seen Signs, but everyone in my family tells me it sucks.
I'm sort of thinking Toby Maguire in Spider-Man 3, but then again, he's not a very good actor in general.

Oh, so it'snot an unpopular opinion. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-12-10, 11:48 AM
taking inspiration from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65847)
morgan freeman playing God in whatsthenameofthemovie with jim carrey?? any half a decent actor could have delivered the same lines... total waste of talent.

Bruce Almighty. For that matter, Jim Carrey in ... well, about half of what he's in. He's a very skillful actor when directors force him to act (Eternal Sunshine, Truman Show, Man on the Moon). But when they let him play the role of "Jim Carrey playing X," the movie's terrible.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-10, 11:58 AM
How about great movies vs. awful actors?

I'm looking at you, Halle Berry in Die Another Day.

rubakhin
2007-12-10, 12:02 PM
95% of everything Klaus Kinski had ever been in, excepting, of course, the films of Werner Herzog and one or two others. The man made a career of wasting his talent. He was un génie à l'état sauvage, a miracle of his medium. But he liked money (that is, he liked having a roof over his head), so he would act in any old crap. The same man who said, "I pick films with the shortest schedule and the most money," also said, "I wish I'd never been an actor. I'd rather have been a streetwalker, selling my body, than selling my tears and my laughter, my grief and my joy."

(He's extremely quotable. This is my favorite: "I am like a wild animal born in captivity, in a zoo. But where a beast would have claws, I have talent.")

There was a small feature in which the hack director of some miserable explotation film went on about how difficult he was to work with, about how he had considered having him assassinated. It made me angry to watch it - that man didn't deserve Kinski.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-10, 12:17 PM
Oh, so it'snot an unpopular opinion. :smallbiggrin:
Of course not. Signs was terrible, and Mel Gibson's completely insane. Before that, though, he was an alright actor/director.

two_fishes
2007-12-10, 01:11 PM
Greastest actor in the trashiest film?

That's easy:
Alec Guinness in Star Wars.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2007-12-10, 01:17 PM
Darken, there's another thread for that kind of stuff. Look at the first link in Dehro's post.
@Telonius: That is true, but isn't that true for any other actors trying to be themselves?
*Cough**Tom Cruise**Cough*

Tweekinator
2007-12-11, 09:16 AM
Anthony Hopkins in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-12-11, 10:56 AM
John Cusack is a great actor. Too bad he seems drawn to roles in trashy, half-rate movies.

dehro
2007-12-11, 11:30 AM

yeah..signs kinda worked for me..right untill the moment when they actually showed the alien, instead of leaving it on the background
even so, as another Jew, I'll just say that the man's views are probably despicable, but he can act..so I guess that his presence in Signs does qualify him to be mentioned in this topic.

dehro
2007-12-11, 11:32 AM
another one...
ben kingsley...
in several of his movies..( I kinda liked him as the rabbi in slevin, though)

how could I forget...
both jeremy irons and john malkovich in Eragon