PDA

View Full Version : Bugbear First Round Martial Character

Bobthewizard
2023-10-16, 02:30 PM
I want to make a monster-under-the-bed bugbear, role-played a bit like Scully from Monsters Inc. So a nice guy, just doing his job, but totally terrifying at it.

I was looking for ideas for optimizing a bugbear's first round attacks and still being playable starting from level 1 up to levels 12-15 or so. I don't want eldritch blasts or scorching rays. Probably start with two shortswords, then switch to a rapier once I get martial arts. Here are some things I thought of so far.

Ranger 3 for gloomstalker's ambush (first round extra attack)
Fighter 3 for action surge (1/SR) and echo knights unleash incarnation (CON/LR)
Monk 2 for Flurry of Blows (2 attacks with BA) maybe shadow monk or astral self, because either could fit the theme.
Barbarian 3 for Beast Barbarian's claw attack (Rage/LR), maybe not worth it, but reckless attack could be

One of those to level 5 for extra attack

Rogue 3 for Assassinate. Then maybe wouldn't need barbarian's reckless attack

so maybe start with two short swords.
ranger 5 for Ambush, Alert feat, and Extra Attack, and Pass without trace
fighter 3 for Action surge, manifest echo, and unleash incarnation
astral self monk 3 for flurry of blows and increased range
assassin 3 for assassinate

That's probably farther than I need to go. My games rarely get that high. Maybe I should start shadow monk 6 and only take Ranger to 3.

What are your thoughts?

claypigeons
2023-10-16, 07:07 PM
I'm currently bugbear playing a battle master5/gloomstalker 3 archer.

It has been an absolute blast annihilating things from afar in the opening rounds.

The archery route has allowed me to pick up Alert, so I'm more likely to be near the top of initiative, and also allows me to focus almost entirely on dexterity and wisdom.

A melee version could work, but I wouldn't put everything into the first round gimmick. Between limited options to close distance, and no guarantee you can leverage the Surprise Attack ability. So make sure the multiclass can do other things besides just make round 1 hurt.

da newt
2023-10-17, 08:11 AM
yeah - gloomstalker + fighter (AS) and SS is a hard combo to beat and simple/elegant enough to be playable throughout. XBE is nice too if you have the feat room (a good reason to fighter 6) or you can HM. As long as you can maintain LOS and find darkness you are attacking w/ ADV so that's great and you can choose Samurai for even more ADV if BM isn't your cup of tea. I'd stick w/ ranger 4 / fighter X.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-17, 09:59 AM
I'm currently bugbear playing a battle master5/gloomstalker 3 archer.

It has been an absolute blast annihilating things from afar in the opening rounds.

The archery route has allowed me to pick up Alert, so I'm more likely to be near the top of initiative, and also allows me to focus almost entirely on dexterity and wisdom.

A melee version could work, but I wouldn't put everything into the first round gimmick. Between limited options to close distance, and no guarantee you can leverage the Surprise Attack ability. So make sure the multiclass can do other things besides just make round 1 hurt.

The MMOTM Bugbear doesn't require surprise, just going before the target. I plan on Alert as my first feat for sure. I'd carry a bow too in case I can't close the distance.

yeah - gloomstalker + fighter (AS) and SS is a hard combo to beat and simple/elegant enough to be playable throughout. XBE is nice too if you have the feat room (a good reason to fighter 6) or you can HM. As long as you can maintain LOS and find darkness you are attacking w/ ADV so that's great and you can choose Samurai for even more ADV if BM isn't your cup of tea. I'd stick w/ ranger 4 / fighter X.

I think I like the idea of echo knight for the fighter subclass, fluffing the echo as his shadow. Unleash incarnation can stack with action surge.

I've played a few ranged gloom stalkers. They are awesome. For this character, I definitely want to go gloom stalker before fighter for flavor, so I think ranger 5 is better for leveling the build than fighter 5 for me.

What is HM?

Bobthewizard
2023-10-17, 02:41 PM
Alright, here is what I have for now.

Monster Under the Bed

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-0866261ce6b2ff46054603d88dda044a-pjlq

Race MMOTM Bugbear +2 Dex, +1 Wis

using two shortswords

Start 10,14,14,8,15,10 -> 10,16,14,8,16,10

1 Ranger 1, expertise stealth, favored foe
2 Ranger 2 – blind fighting
3 Ranger 3 – Gloomstalker – extra attack 1st round (+6 init)
4 Ranger 4 Alert (+11 init)
5 Ranger 5 extra attack, PWOT, Silence – 4 attacks first round
6 Fighter 1 – defense, second wind
7 Fighter 2 – action surge – 7 attacks first round
8 Fighter 3 – echo knight fluffed as his shadow. 9 attacks first round
9 Fighter 4 - +2 Dex (+12 Init)
10 Cleric 1 - twilight 300' darkvision and advantage on initiative
11 Monk 1 - Unarmored defense, Martial Arts
12 Monk 2 - Ki, Flurry of blows – 10 attacks first round
13 Monk 3 - Astral self for +5’ reach (could go Shadow for darkness then take devil’s sight next level)
14 Monk 4 - +2 Dex (+13 Init)
15 Rogue 1 - Expertise perception and intimidation
16 Rogue 2 - Cunning Action
17 Rogue 3 - Assassinate
18 Rogue 4 - Fey Touched (Gift of Alacrity) (+13+1d8 init)
19 Ranger 6 – climb, swim
20 Ranger 7 – WIS saves

da newt
2023-10-17, 03:38 PM
Hunter's Mark - it's a bit of a BA sink, but it's handy. If you can quest a flame tongue weapon too ...

For a Melee focused Bugbear Gloomstalker Echo Knight is a great subclass - I'd always have my 'other brother' present (no need to wait for combat to pop your double), and I'd be very tempted to dip Ancestral Guardian Barb in there too for extra tanky, reckless, and helping the party w/ the one really bad guy.

(also I think every PC w/ 13+ Wis should dip Twilight)

claypigeons
2023-10-18, 12:35 PM
The MMOTM Bugbear doesn't require surprise, just going before the target. I plan on Alert as my first feat for sure. I'd carry a bow too in case I can't close the distance.

The only mention of 'surprise' is in reference to the name of the ability, Surprise Attack. I'm well aware of how it works.