PDA

View Full Version : Share Pain, Forced

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-10, 06:38 AM
So I had a Psion fight the party this weekend. He opened up with Share Pain, Forced, and Quickened Share Pain, Forced, and succeeded with both.

Was I correct in ruling that this made him take no damage at all? How would you have ruled this? I need to know, because the mid-high level plot arc has several psionics-using antagonists.

EDIt- assuming I did this right, how would you describe a blow that is negated that way.

PS- in case you were wondering, Dispel Magic is what saved the day here. A Slay Living almost did the trick as well, but failed due to SR.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-10, 06:52 AM
Effects from the same spell/power should not be stacked unless the description says otherwise.

Fixer
2007-12-10, 07:40 AM
Agreed. The second will supercede the former.

At best (DM Fiat), the first half will go to the first linked character and half of what remains would go to the second. That would leave the victim of the first link taking ½ the damage dealt to the psion and the second victim taking ¼ damage dealt to the psion with the remaining ¼ going to the psion.

Now, if you are able to quicken abilities, this one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm) can do a number on a character if you have access to Telepath-only powers. Especially if you can afford the 6 point extra to have it affect all creatures within 20 feet.

Keld Denar
2007-12-10, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I probably wouldn't reduce the damage to 0. I think it would be one of the following scenarios.

1) The M:TG solution: The 2 trigger in order, seeing only the remaining damage after each resolves. Therefore, the first triggers and reduces damage by 1/2, dealing 1/2 the origional damage to the shared target. The 2nd then triggers and halfs it again, dealing 1/4 damage to the origional target and 1/4 damage to the 2nd shared target. Final damage distribution is: O takes 1/4, 1st takes 1/2, 2nd takes 1/4. 1/4 +1/4 +1/2 = 1, damage is conserved.

2) The Simultanious solution: Damage taken by the O is halfed. Both shared pain targets take 1/2 each. So O takes 1/2, 1st takes 1/2, 2nd takes 1/2. 1/2 +1/2 +1/2 = 3/2, damage is not conserved, but increased.

zaei
2007-12-11, 06:31 PM
2) The Simultanious solution: Damage taken by the O is halfed. Both shared pain targets take 1/2 each. So O takes 1/2, 1st takes 1/2, 2nd takes 1/2. 1/2 +1/2 +1/2 = 3/2, damage is not conserved, but increased.

I Share Pain with 10 people. Those ten people Share Pain with 10 people. Those people Share Pain with 10 people. Those people Share Pain, Forced with 1 target. I stab myself in the face for 8 average damage. Target explodes =]

ForzaFiori
2007-12-11, 07:02 PM
I Share Pain with 10 people. Those ten people Share Pain with 10 people. Those people Share Pain with 10 people. Those people Share Pain, Forced with 1 target. I stab myself in the face for 8 average damage. Target explodes =]

where are you gonna get 1000 psions to help u with this though?

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-11, 11:23 PM
There is not an issue with stacking effects here, because the power is on the targets, not on the Psion. So the stacking rules would prevent you from hitting the same target with share pain, forced, but not two different targets.

Gralamin
2007-12-11, 11:34 PM
There is not an issue with stacking effects here, because the power is on the targets, not on the Psion. So the stacking rules would prevent you from hitting the same target with share pain, forced, but not two different targets.

I think the problem is that Share Pain, Forced, has an "incorrect" target line. The original Share Pain has a target of:
Target: You and one willing creature, or two willing creatures; see text While Share Pain, Force has a target of:
Target: One creature I think this here should instead state "Target: You and One creature", Otherwise the power is a bit to strong I think.

The "Incorrect" target line is defiantly debatable, but from the RAW perspective, I believe you choose which one of the effects happens first (usually most beneficial to you), and then the other effect happens. In effect this would be 1/2 to a target of your choice, then 1/4 to the other, and 1/4 to you. (I could be wrong about this, but I know there are other examples where you choose which order effects happen in.)

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-11, 11:41 PM
I think I agree with the "1/2 to target A, 1/4 to target B, 1/4 to caster" interpretation. It is just more . . . sane.

zaei
2007-12-12, 12:28 AM
where are you gonna get 1000 psions to help u with this though?

Leadership =]

Aquillion
2007-12-12, 12:47 AM
Leadership =]
Mind Seed.