PDA

View Full Version : Help For a 20 level build

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 08:35 AM
I had an idea but I need some help w/ feats and stuff. Pretty much all published good are avalabe. I was thinking Bard/Barbarian/Rage Mage.

I dont know how good this will be but I think the Idea would be soo cool any suggestions how to do it?

oh yes..and

:thog: My Axe is my buddie!

Reel On, Love
2007-12-10, 08:39 AM
There's really no way to make that good, sorry. Rage Mage is a terrible PrC. Why not just decribe your character as flying into a rage?

That said, about the best I can suggest is Bard/Barbarian/Rage Mage through 10, then Sublime Chord at 11 and 12, then more Rage Mage.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 08:42 AM
Bard is a good Buff Class, I was thinking of specializing in Buff spells and going mostly Barbarian with a bit of Rage Mage so I can heal while i beat the holy mother out of the uglies...

Just having a a bit of a problem with the logistics of the whole

Reel On, Love
2007-12-10, 08:46 AM
Bard is a good Buff Class,
No, it's not. It has a limited spell list, low spells known, and low spells/day. Inspire Courage is a small boost--especially if you're multiclassing out of Bard!

I was thinking of specializing in Buff spells and going mostly Barbarian with a bit of Rage Mage so I can heal while i beat the holy mother out of the uglies...

Just having a a bit of a problem with the logistics of the whole
You're having a problem because it's a terrible idea, mechanically speaking. Rage Mage is half casting, bardic spellcasting is weak, and bardic healing is especially weak.

Fortunately for you, there's a class that's all about buffing up and then smashing things while still being able to heal.
It's called the Cleric.
Give your cleric the War domain and describe her as raging in battle, and you'll have pretty much exactly the character you're describing, flavor-wise.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 08:52 AM
If i go Cleric..i end up being Druid...and if i make another Druid Barbar..my DM will kill me in my sleep...

I hate the Flavor of Cleric..I like Druid..but again...me no wanna die...too young

Reel On, Love
2007-12-10, 08:54 AM
I hate the Flavor of Cleric..I like Druid..but again...me no wanna die...too young

So change the flavor of cleric. Sure, the default is worshipping gods, but you can fluff the cleric's spells as arcane power (so she happens to be able to cast in armor--some arcanists do that, too!) and not do any praying and the like.

Grynning
2007-12-10, 08:59 AM
If you want to make a Bard/Barbarian Hybrid, I would suggest forgetting about your spellcasting altogether and making a War-Chanter (Also from CWar). Gives you much better buffing ability and keeps you decent at melee, and remember that you can still use most of your Bardic (or War-chanter) music in a Rage. That's a much better class feature to progress than your spellcasting if you're going for a melee bard. (Edit: If you are starting as a Barbarian you may want to try and talk your DM into switching out the Combat Expertise requirement for the PrC).

Of course there is the often-posted 4 levels of Bard+ 16 levels of something fromToB+Dragonfire Inspiration melee build, but that's a ridiculous power-game build, which does not seem to be what you are going for.

Other stuff to consider for the wild angry bard flava: Variant Savage Bard from SrD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard
Fohlucan Lyrist PrC from CAdv (Druid/Bard Spellcasting Hybrid)
Sublime Cord (CArc) as mentioned above for better spellcasting.
Seeker of the Song for...crazy singing stuff...

Dode
2007-12-10, 09:00 AM
Duskblade 20
Cleric 20

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 09:02 AM
If you want to make a Bard/Barbarian Hybrid, I would suggest forgetting about your spellcasting altogether and making a War-Chanter (Also from CWar). Gives you much better buffing ability and keeps you decent at melee, and remember that you can still use most of your Bardic (or War-chanter) music in a Rage. That's a much better class feature to progress than your spellcasting if you're going for a melee bard. (Edit: If you are starting as a Barbarian you may want to try and talk your DM into switching out the Combat Expertise requirement for the PrC).

Of course there is the often-posted 4 levels of Bard+ 16 levels of something fromToB+Dragonfire Inspiration melee build, but that's a ridiculous power-game build, which does not seem to be what you are going for.

This idea I like.

I kinda had am Image in my head of a Big Bulky guy Singing ICP and TWF with Huge Axes..but...you know..that is just the idea in my head...

shaggz076
2007-12-10, 09:14 AM
Well I think people are going about this the wrong way. The first thing should be a couple of quick questions:

What kind of campaign is your ST going to be running? and
What kind of characters are the rest of the party playing?

These are the two most important questions before even thinking of what you are going to make because it takes into account what the party needs.

Answer these for me and I will give you a suggestion that not only will be fun to play but will fit in to the story and with the other characters.

Lady Tialait
2007-12-10, 09:18 AM
What kind of campaign is your ST going to be running? my what??
I'll assume this means what kinda Campaign will it be..it's a Mutant offshoot of Age of Worms

What kind of characters are the rest of the party playing?
Well we have a Cleric of IO
A Cleric of Bahamut
and a Cleric of Dragons
(i'm not kidding everyone is playing Clerics..another reason I took offence to playing a Cleric)

I plan on being a Reckless Melee Monky..with fun Songs and Antics to go along with it. As for ToB..I hate the Idea of each of the classes..as such I wont even try them out. I an Aware they are nice..I just dont like em..okay?

Grynning
2007-12-10, 09:33 AM
Well, to build the character all the way, need to establish some things. Are you rolling stats or using point buy? A Bard hybrid warrior is going to be highly stat dependent (Str, Con, and Cha as high as possible, medium Dex investment, possibly Int as well since the group is very light on skills with all clerics).
Also, Age of Worms is very cool (We used a lot of it in one of our campaigns), but is your DM starting you guys at 20 or at 10 like the campaign recommends? Cuz' that could make a difference as well (A character built to be good at 20 may not necessarily be fun to play through other levels).

Person_Man
2007-12-10, 09:48 AM
Warchanter + Animate Objects is hilarious, btw.

The Warchanter grants all several powerful buffs to everyone in the group. Animate Object (presumably cast by a full caster in the group, though its on the Bard spell list as well) animates 1 object per caster level. Classic nanobots.

shaggz076
2007-12-10, 10:36 AM
Try a Varient Fighter/Varient Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion 5/10/5
Varient Fighter = Ignore SF for light armor
Varient Sorcerer = +2 hp per sorcerer lvl
Abjurant Champion = Quick Cast and Extended Abjuration spell

Abilities by level of importance:
Con, Cha, Str, Dex, Int, Wis

There is a feat that allows you to cast through a weapon like a Duskblade. Reserve feats are great too (Complete Mage)

Combat Focus feats are a great boon to this character as well since you enter your combat focus when you make your first attack and you stay in your focus for 10 + # of combat focus feats you have. The benifits are greater if you have 3 or more combat focus feats and include things like a bonus to will saves, fast healing and the ability to know how many HP your opponent has left.