PDA

View Full Version : Warlock patron for gladiator

Seekergeek
2023-10-18, 12:44 PM
So I’m almost certainly going to be putting together a new 4th level PC, and have a lot of the character beats worked out. I’m wanting to play a flamboyant gladiator type. I’m also fairly sure I want to take the new playtest warlock for a ride - largely because I’ve played 5e since it was “Next” and new stuff is appealing. What I’m trying to figure out is a good idea for a patron that makes some sense. I am not set on any particular subclass even, so long as it comes from the celestial, archfey, fiend, or great old one as that’s what exists in the playtest material. Our party makeup pretty well covers the roles necessary so I’m not at all concerned about mechanics - just want a fun and flavourful idea for a patron either from existing FR lore or from your own wonderful imaginations!

As always the help getting over this creative hump is appreciated.

RogueJK
2023-10-18, 01:01 PM
Great Old One might be the biggest stretch, but you could easily make any of the patrons works for a gladiator-type.

Fiend: Your gladiator sold their soul for success in the arena, or perhaps that demon just revels in bloody spectacles and decided to reward them for their prowess. (Like Khorne from Warhammer.)

Celestial: You're a holy Gladiator, sworn to the God of Battle (or one of their envoys). In FR lore, Tempus and Uthgar would love them some gladiatorial games.

Archfey: Plenty of Fey would get off on watching mortals slaughter each other the arena, especially if accompanied by copious drinking and betting, and might be willing to sponsor especially talented gladiators to help facilitate that.

Great Old One: Similar to Fiend, perhaps they discovered some forbidden knowledge and used it to rise to the top of their gladiator profession. Or maybe the gladiator school to which they belong has a mysterious benefactor who's using their combat games as part of a convoluted scheme of global/planar domination, with their warped gladiators being pieces of that puzzle.

Slipjig
2023-10-18, 01:21 PM
I'm definitely leaning toward a Fey. I don't know D&D fey that well, but pretty much any of the Winter Fey from the Dresden Files would be an appropriate choice. A redcap who revels in bloodshed, a bored fairy queen looking for entertainment, or even just a Fey cat that likes playing with it's food...

Wintermoot
2023-10-18, 01:29 PM
You know, historically (or at least in gladiator fiction pieces), Gladiators in ancient Rome often had patrons who would buy them or at least sponsor them.

It would be funny if you could agree with your DM to go with Fiend or Celestial or ArchFey, but instead of some nameless/faceless "patron" that only connects to you metaphysically, your patron actually lives on the material plane, sponsors you and deals with you directly. combining your warlock "patron" with your gladiator "patron"

JLandan
2023-10-18, 01:30 PM
I see Fiend as your best and only choice. I don't see the others as the sort that cares about "entertainment". But a demon or devil that acts as a sort of fight promoter or wrestling organization heel is perfectly viable.

BRC
2023-10-18, 01:31 PM
A lot of this will depend on what sort of relationship you want with your Patron.

If you're chummy with your Patron, an Archfey who effectively "Sponsors" you makes a lot of sense. Archfey are usually bored. Maybe part of the pact is that they get to watch your matches through your eyes, experiencing the rush of battle.

If you've got more of a hostile relationship, Fiend might work. You made a desperate pact to survive in the Arena, but you hate that you're helping a Fiend achieve their ends.

Unoriginal
2023-10-18, 01:45 PM
Great Old One might be the biggest stretch, but you could easily make any of the patrons works for a gladiator-type.

True.

Celestial: You're a holy Gladiator, sworn to the God of Battle (or one of their envoys).

As the song says:

https://youtu.be/SiEAz1TDm1c

Joe the Rat
2023-10-18, 01:55 PM
Flamboyancy I see drawing towards Archfey (They appreciate a show - Heck, your showboating might be required by the pact), or Fiend (your showyness is in response to the easy fame that comes with a Deal with the Devil - and your deal a dark secret).

You know, historically (or at least in gladiator fiction pieces), Gladiators in ancient Rome often had patrons who would buy them or at least sponsor them.

It would be funny if you could agree with your DM to go with Fiend or Celestial or ArchFey, but instead of some nameless/faceless "patron" that only connects to you metaphysically, your patron actually lives on the material plane, sponsors you and deals with you directly. combining your warlock "patron" with your gladiator "patron"

I love these sorts of insights. Don't forget to arrange some endorsement deals!

This also gives mind to an entire Warlock Gladitorial circle - a bunch of prizefighters who are backed by various supernatural entities. Whether or not anyone else in the world knows that the managers all hail from other planes would make for some fun worldbuilding on the DM side.

Dr.Samurai
2023-10-18, 02:08 PM
I think the Celestial patron can be a powerful Valkyrie, empowering/emboldening your character to be the greatest warrior the world has ever seen.

Seekergeek
2023-10-18, 06:05 PM
These are all wonderful opinions and really opened my eyes to the fact that I had become too fixated on the micro of WHO the patron was and not the macro of WHY any given patron might be interested in a gladiator. Thanks!

Psyren
2023-10-18, 06:32 PM
I think the Celestial patron can be a powerful Valkyrie, empowering/emboldening your character to be the greatest warrior the world has ever seen.

Just wanted to say I love this idea!

@OP: Another idea is an Undead patron - a past champion of the arena as well, haunting the grounds and trying to relive their glory days through you (and possibly use you to uncover the foul play that led to their demise.)