PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Request for CS appraisal

gfajdi
2023-10-19, 02:32 PM
Hello guys,

I've been playing D&D for a while now but this is the first I'm playing a high level party member and also the first time I'm playing a paladin/warlock multiclass.

So, my character's called Myn, he is a Bullywug and paladin 11 /warlock 1 multiclass, as mentioned.

I would like to ask a brave and kind soul if they could take a look at the CS and check if I've filled out everything correctly.

The trouble is my CS is a PDF and the forum will not let me post a link.
How can I publish my CS for somebody to check it out?

Thank you very much!

KorvinStarmast
2023-10-19, 03:00 PM
I would like to ask a brave and kind soul if they could take a look at the CS and check if I've filled out everything correctly.

The trouble is my CS is a PDF and the forum will not let me post a link.
How can I publish my CS for somebody to check it out?

Thank you very much!CS meant Computer Science when I was in college.

Does CS mean Character Sheet?
Are you familiar with googledocs?

gfajdi
2023-10-20, 01:19 AM
CS meant Computer Science when I was in college.

Does CS mean Character Sheet?
Are you familiar with googledocs?

Yes, I mean Character Sheet, so sorry for being so unclear.

Yes, I do use Googledocs, but don't I still need to share a link so you can access the document?
I could retype the data from the PDF into a GoogleDocs (I tried copy/pasting but that gave very poor results)
or alternatively I could just type all the info into a post. Which would you prefer?

Thanks for all the help!

Batcathat
2023-10-20, 02:38 AM
Yes, I mean Character Sheet, so sorry for being so unclear.

Yes, I do use Googledocs, but don't I still need to share a link so you can access the document?
I could retype the data from the PDF into a GoogleDocs (I tried copy/pasting but that gave very poor results)
or alternatively I could just type all the info into a post. Which would you prefer?

Thanks for all the help!

Even if you can't make an actual clickable link, you could still post the URL and someone who wants to help can just copy-paste it, right?

gfajdi
2023-10-20, 09:47 AM
I hope the link works fine:

https://smallpdf.com/edit-pdf#file=54d3a061-c5df-4660-bdb5-7e990fa2bfc2.pdf

Like I said, I've never played a palladin or warlock, so I need some who knows their stuff
to check if I haven't done any stupid mistakes.

Thank you so much!

gfajdi
2023-10-21, 10:20 AM
I've just uploaded an updated version:

https://smallpdf.com/edit-pdf#file=3b2432c1-a15f-47a9-9bac-5294e3e4f0ab.pdf

The spell under level 4 is a warlock lock spell, but I didn't have anywhere else to put it.

After clicking on the link, you might get a "file missing" error. Just hit F5 to refresh and the file should be rendered
without any problems.

gfajdi
2023-10-21, 11:58 AM
Ok, the previous link is bust and won't open on phones.

Here's a Gdrive link that should readable to anyone:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sdZj9S9O72He-FmfcE-1STX9X9ac0Ok5/view?usp=share_link

I hope it works.

I'd really appreciate any opinons and accuracy assesment since I'm really not sure
if I'm doing the right things.

Thank you for the effort.

Atranen
2023-10-21, 03:22 PM
Glad you were able to get the link working :smallsmile:. I haven't built a Paladin/Warlock before, but I can give you some thoughts.

1) Your CON is very high (20), and STR/CHA low (14) for this multiclass. I suppose you're trying to lean into the Bullywug species benefits? -2 to both STR/CHA is rough for a paladin. CHA, in particular, is boosting your and your party's saves and your eldritch blast attacks.

2) Is there a reason you chose Vengeance Paladin? If that's the character, go for it :smallsmile:. But with your high CON, spear/sword + shield, you're going more defensive...in which case Ancients might be a good choice as well, to gain resistance to damage vs spells. They are a good thematic fit for bullywugs as well.

3) Is spear or longsword going to be your primary weapon? Spear is lower damage, but gives you a lot of options with polearm master. It plays pretty well with Vengeance pally too. Vengeance paladins want to get crits and then burn high level smites to get high damage output. Vow of enmity gives advantage, which is your main way to hit those. And polearm master gives you more attacks, which means more rolls, and more chances to hit a 20. (Of course, you can't use the PAM bonus action attack the turn you use Vow of Enmity, but on later rounds).

4) Your hit dice should be 11d10 + 1d8.

To make some recommendations: If you want to stay Vengeance, I would trade your CON ASIs for polearm master and either +2 STR or CHA, and commit to spear + shield. If you want to be more defensive, then I would swap to ancients, and probably switch one or both CON ASIs to CHA. You'll still have tons of hps, and now resistance to spell damage, and the higher saves will help your party out defensively more than the extra +12 hp. Also, you'll hit your eldritch blasts more often. For your level up, you can get warlock 2 and agonizing blast, which will massively increase your ranged damage output (by 73%, with 18 CHA).

P.S. see also this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?661414-Vengeance-Paladin-level-4-start), where they are also building a vengeance Paladin.

Also, I'm not sure I see dueling fighting style in your attacks? Make sure it is added. If you're going more defensive, then defense fighting style for +1 AC is also a good option.

gfajdi
2023-10-26, 01:31 PM
Glad you were able to get the link working :smallsmile:. I haven't built a Paladin/Warlock before, but I can give you some thoughts.

Thank you for your reply and sorry it took me so long to respond. I was out of commission most of the week.

1) Your CON is very high (20), and STR/CHA low (14) for this multiclass. I suppose you're trying to lean into the Bullywug species benefits? -2 to both STR/CHA is rough for a paladin. CHA, in particular, is boosting your and your party's saves and your eldritch blast attacks.

The thing is I'm a very clumsy player which resulted in the death of my previous character :smallbiggrin:
My role in the party is that of the tank and high CON/HP is the best bet to keep me alive while dealing as much damage as possible.
Storywise and rollplaywise it's also funny to have a frog running around and pestering NPCs :-)

2) Is there a reason you chose Vengeance Paladin? If that's the character, go for it :smallsmile:. But with your high CON, spear/sword + shield, you're going more defensive...in which case Ancients might be a good choice as well, to gain resistance to damage vs spells. They are a good thematic fit for bullywugs as well.

Yes, it's mostly about the character. I'm not really all that interested in mechanical optimisation since I will surely bungle it.
I'd just like to know if I got the saves, the skills and the spells right (not all level 1 spells are on the list, since there too many to fit).

3) Is spear or longsword going to be your primary weapon? Spear is lower damage, but gives you a lot of options with polearm master. It plays pretty well with Vengeance pally too. Vengeance paladins want to get crits and then burn high level smites to get high damage output. Vow of enmity gives advantage, which is your main way to hit those. And polearm master gives you more attacks, which means more rolls, and more chances to hit a 20. (Of course, you can't use the PAM bonus action attack the turn you use Vow of Enmity, but on later rounds).

Thanks for the recommendations about the spear and polearm master, but I think I'll hold on to the longsword for now.
My tactic is definitely to burn divine smites and vow of enimity to deal as much damage as possible plus the haste spell
when things get very dicey :-)

4) Your hit dice should be 11d10 + 1d8.

Thanks, will fix that one.

And thanks for very nice optimization info as well as the link. These will definitely be very helpful somewhat later,
but right now I'd just like to establish if I got all the details, such as saves, skills and other stuff right.

Also, I'm not sure I see dueling fighting style in your attacks? Make sure it is added. If you're going more defensive, then defense fighting style for +1 AC is also a good option.

I do have dueling fighting style, yes, so at least I got that right :-)

Again, thanks so much for your effort.