PDA

View Full Version : What class

Stopsignwizard
2023-10-19, 06:03 PM
Hey

So my group is about to start a session. Were fairly new to DnD and I'm reading and learning everything I can.

My DM came up with the idea of playing a class that comes closest to our personalities using fictional characters. So everyone on agreement picks a character or characters they think would fit and to base a class off of it.

My character is Geralt The Witcher and Beric Dondarrion from Game of Thrones minus the religious aspect. They said take Geralt personality and mix it with Beric's plus their fighting style and that would be my class.

What class would fit that?

Anymage
2023-10-19, 06:24 PM
Paladin sounds like my first thought. Maybe Eldritch Knight fighter, since their personality can be whatever you like and they still get to sprinkle a bit of magic into their swordplay.

Having said that there's a lot to be said for doing two things. First, read the character class descriptions and see which ones stand out to you, since D&D has its own concepts and the game doesn't do a good job translating to any fantasy story. Second and more importantly, I very strongly recommend that everybody get together for your first session to build characters together, decide how their characters all know each other and what all the players are looking for in a game. It's very easy to expect everybody to make their characters on their own and then have them all spawn in somewhere for the first session, but that also has a very high chance of a party mismatch. Usually through over- or underfilling certain roles, having characters come in at very different themes or optimization levels, and/or simply having major character personality mismatches. Communicating through the whole process helps a lot to make the ensuing game go forward smoothly.

Kane0
2023-10-19, 08:33 PM
Fighter, Paladin or Ranger depending on some of your choices. Just make sure to have a good session 0 with your group to figure things out together

Arkhios
2023-10-20, 01:36 AM
I was first about to say Ranger (Monster Slayer subclass, if you have access to it, otherwise the Hunter), but having refreshed my memory of who the heck is Beric and I immediately jumped to concur with Paladin. Elemental Weapon spell would be perfect for the flaming sword that Beric uses a lot, and not many classes even have access to it by default, other than artificer and paladin (not counting subclasses, especially because the one subclass that does get it is Cleric Domain, and you specifically wanted something without religious aspect. The good thing about paladins in that regard is that their magic doesn't necessarily come from being religious, but rather from their personal convictions, which may vary a lot.

Ever since Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, even rangers have been given access to Elemental Weapon, and thus I would actually strongly recommend using Ranger (Monster Slayer) as the class (and subclass), because that specific subclass screams "Geralt", and to be honest, Beric w/o religious aspect, could be anything.

Mastikator
2023-10-20, 02:00 AM
Ranger Gloomstalker with duelist fighting style.