PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Question regarding the Rilmani

Mr.PC0X
2023-10-24, 07:43 AM
So it's rather clear to me that the Rilmani, the six or so sub races of which were show initially in 2e (where I feel their art is at it's best), are based on base metals/minerals.

Plumach = Plumbum (Lead)
Ferrumach = Ferrum (Iron)
Cuprilach = Cuprum (Copper)
Argenach = Argentum (Silver)
Aurumach = Aurum (Gold)

But one stnads out and I can't quite make out what it's supposed to represent. That is the Abiorach. It' seems to resemble cystal, or something but following the pattern what is it likely to be?

Abiorach = Abio-/Abior-?

Does anyone have any insights to this?

JadedDM
2023-10-24, 01:37 PM
I think the abiorach are supposed to represent mercury. But I'm not sure how that ties into the name. 'Abio' means 'without life' in Greek, as far as I can tell.

Lord Torath
2023-10-24, 01:39 PM
First, not an expert on Planescape. I had to google the Rilmani just to figure out what they are.

Regarding the Abiorach:

However, their bodies gleam with a liquid, silver shine that flows and shifts with every movement. Their eyes are crystalline and tend to catch a rainbow of colors. I'm not certain how to get from Abio to mercury, but that's what it makes me think of.

LibraryOgre
2023-10-24, 02:04 PM
I'm not certain how to get from Abio to mercury, but that's what it makes me think of.

Maybe a-bio, since it's poisonous?

CE DM
2023-10-27, 05:34 PM
So it's rather clear to me that the Rilmani, the six or so sub races of which were show initially in 2e (where I feel their art is at it's best), are based on base metals/minerals.

Plumach = Plumbum (Lead)
Ferrumach = Ferrum (Iron)
Cuprilach = Cuprum (Copper)
Argenach = Argentum (Silver)
Aurumach = Aurum (Gold)

But one stnads out and I can't quite make out what it's supposed to represent. That is the Abiorach. It' seems to resemble cystal, or something but following the pattern what is it likely to be?

Abiorach = Abio-/Abior-?

Does anyone have any insights to this?

naw, you probably need to ask the creator

X =hydrargyrus (mercury)& you might just change their name to suit that

edit: the credits to planescape MC appendix II "Designer: Rich Baker + Editor: Karen S. Boomgarden + Creative Director: Andria Hayday
Cover Artist: DiTerlizzi +Interior Artist: DiTerlizzi
Art Direction: Bruce Zamjahn + Electronic Prepress Coordination: Dave Conant
Typesetter: Angelika Lokotz
Graphic Design and Production: Dee Barnett, Dawn Murin, Greg Kerkman
Thanks to: Tim Beach, Wolfgang Baur, Michele Carter, and Colin McComb"

seek as u can or care to

edit 2: Rich Baker made them, he says so on a 2012 blog post " Over the course of my career with TSR/Wizards of the Coast, I designed hundreds of monsters in various editions of the game. A few have become “classics” of the game, and people seem to think of them as critters that have always been around. Most have turned out to be fairly forgettable, serving as interesting page-filler in this sourcebook or that. I wish I could predict which monsters will “take” and which won’t, but it’s tougher than it looks. I’m the writer behind the eladrin, the rilmani, the canoloth, and the keeper. I’m also the guy behind the kaisharga, the magma golem, the storm devil, and the cobalt dragon. They all seemed like great ideas at the time." bold underline mine

ask him from his new blog here, perhaps https://richardbakerauthor.com/blog-posts/