PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] PF1e Red Hand of Doom

Cardea
2023-10-25, 12:18 AM
https://paperanddice.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/rhod_banner.jpg (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662026-IC-PF1e-Red-Hand-of-Doom)

"... and she created her own self a thousand times over, claiming rulership through blood and birth of her new children."

Player
Character
Race
Class

Frosty
Rozessylth the Just (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2840133)
Dragon!!
Draconic Exemplar

TankLaser007
Vymarux SIlverstar (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2842933)
Wyvaran
Cleric

Benoojian
Rickard Plinth (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2842874)
Dwarf
Artificer

Aldurin
Lestara Sathir (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2840772)
Catfolk
Avowed

Kitsune Voss
Corwyth Redbow (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2846159)
Human
Hunter

System: Pathfinder
Player Count: 4 - 5
Style of Play: PF adaptation of 3.5's Red Hand of Doom
Allowed Content:

All first party material, with the exception of notoriously powerful tidbits.
Broadly speaking, no third party material. I am willing to look at pieces here and there, but if it involves large scale books or systems, its going to be a straight no. Please ask, with reasons.
I allow Artificer (https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer), Beguiler (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6bKY5cuGjh9VFA1OF8xVmtqWjA/edit), and Avowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563703-Forrestfire-Studios-The-Avowed-Promises-of-Power-Updated-Playtest). While I am explicitly allowing the Artificer from a total Eberron conversion site, the less you need to rely on that site for further materials, the better. Treat anything from that site as a case-by-case basis.
As a special exemption, Frosty is using Draconic Exemplar (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/draconic-exemplar/) and Taninim (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/dragon-taninim/). This is not approved for others.

Character Creation:

Class: No repeats.
Backstory: Ten minute background is appreciated, as its easy to follow and gives me room to work with.
Experience: 5th level
Wealth: 11,500gp.
Ability Scores: 25pb
Hitpoints/Health: Max hit points at each level.
Alignment: Do what fits your character. You'll need to figure out how that works out once final selection is made.

Other Notes:

Background Skills are in effect.
Two traits as standard.
Please stick to Core, Featured, and Uncommon races of 15 RP or less. If the race has less than 15 RP, feel free to modify it using Race Builder options that are appropriate or thematic with the race. Alternate origins/bloodlines for classes with such things (Aasimar, Changeling, Tiefling, etc.) are permitted, but make me aware of what one you are using. The following options are banned from adding onto a race: Flexible Bonus Feat, Lesser Lucky, Greater Lucky. You are banned from altering, changing, or adding ability score traits to the race using the Race Builder options.
Use Unchained versions of classes.
Truly, I am lazy, and don't want to work more than I need to. I'll put in proper time and diligence to make things engaging and challenging, and I'm less inclined to seriously consider characters that seem like more of a chore to balance against. Just look at what other players are doing, and stay around their level of capability.

Hey everyone. Please make sure to let everyone post once before you post a second time.

Please select a talking color as well.

Additionally, please roll 3d78.

Ensuing posts will be for my own record keeping sake for things like story beats, major fight starts/ends, etc. etc..

Cardea
2023-10-25, 12:22 AM
This is a post for my own sake and potentially your convenience.

Nothing yet.
Nothing yet.
Nothing yet.

Frosty
2023-10-25, 01:35 AM
Glad to be here! I will of course choose purple to match my dragon's scales. [roll0]

Rozessylth the Just (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2840133) (Rose if she likes you) is ready.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/37/e1/90/37e1903a553d4efc26be18c32b2b5e9c.jpg

1) Rozessylth is the product of an unlikely pairing: A brass dragon and a sky dragon. As a result, instead of the looks of either parent, she has purple scales. She also ages differently, sometimes not getting any bigger for years on end, while sometimes getting random rapid growth spurts. She is currently medium sized.

2) Rozessylth has an elven guise, in which she goes by the name "Rose." Her elven form has long, flowing, brownish puple hair.

3) She is playful, yet when her sense of justice is inflamed due to perceived cruelties, she can be quite terrifying and determined. She used to be even more chipper, but that changed when her brother was brutally murdered by a red dragon.

4) She is only 40 years of age, which is still quite young for a dragon. Still, she has done some travelling and seen much of the world. She has wanderlust and is not content to merely stay near her birth place.

5) Rozessylth tends to wear her wealth, although she wouldn't turn down a chance to sleep on a mound of gold. Her prized possession is the armor her parents gifted to her, a chain shirt that helps Rozessylth blend into the surroundings.

1. Rozessylth's primary goal is to find and take her vengeance on the red dragon that murdered her brother (who came out as a brass dragon instead of a hybrid like her). That's why she is adventuring: To get stronger and to get revenge. Recently she heard rumors of evil draconic activity in a sparsely-populated vale, and thus off she goes...

2. She also wants to build a proper hoard. Of course, that means treasure, and she has heard of a rumor or a hidden treasure somewhere in the vale. If she's going to go there to track down her nemesis, then she might as well also treasure hunt. She IS a dragon after all.

3. She also wants to make some proper friends with the "lesser" mortal races. It's part of broadening her experiences.

(Aware) Rozessylth has actually joined (in her elven guise) the Chromatic Revealers, a group dedicated to opposing Tiamat. The group focuses on rooting out cults of Tiamat all over the world. It is from that group that she heard rumors of evil draconic activity in the vale.

(Unaware) Rozessylth's brother was not only murdered, but his body was brought to some ritual site and waiting to be used as part of some foul, evil ritual to further Tiamat's plans somehow.

1) Family: Rozessylph's parents are both alive.
2) Enemy: The red dragon (Rozessylph does not know his name yet) who killed her brother.
3) Ally: Regil*, an adventuer in the Chromatic Revealers (see the secrets section) who told Rozessylph about the rumors of draconic activity in the vale.

*The name is flexible, along with the gender, race etc. In fact "Regil" could be one of the other PCs if one of the other players wants to have a shared backstory.

1) I remember being hatched different. My parents loved me all the same, but my egg shell had a different color than all the other eggs. Different, but that's not bad.

2) I remember how *exhilirating* it was to hunt down evil-doers and protect the innocent from injustices. The blood coursing through my veins compels me to right wrongs, just as much as it compels me to sing, even if my singing is...not very good.

3) I remember my brother's lifeless body being carried away by a red dragon. My wings were too injured to follow from a separate fight, but I saw for long enough. The image of that red dragon was burned into my memories. I will never forget him, and I vow to bring him down, even if I must lay down my own life!

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-25, 07:11 AM
For color thinking forest green

Test Roll: [roll0]

Sorry about the double post. Understand how it works now at least a little.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501030735759540224/1164799625593626674/image.png?ex=6544872f&is=6532122f&hm=64ddf7da68190ffd2657f6c82469a21555925b0a9f0ed76 9a692c83aedbccfc4&
Corwyth's character sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2846159)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/608605539961798658/1166711814306922577/image.png?ex=654b7c0c&is=6539070c&hm=0c3af65c389ee6524a9d06a08d5c0afee75035dd37d5984 ac48082ba9872571b&
Warlor's character sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2846265)

1. Think up at least 5 things about the character and his background that are essential to the character. This is your foundation for the character.
a. Daughter of lesser nobles whom oversaw a smallish village near the border of wilderness. Not wealthy but cared about the villagers. Often would short themselves grain so the villagers would have enough for the winter.
b. Village was attacked by hobgoblins. Family was killed in the attack.
c. Her uncle, who has larger holdings than her parents, brought in a force to defeat the hobgoblins. She was then made a ward of an uncle. Uncle took her family lands to add to his larger holdings. While in his care, she was mistreated by her uncle including attempting to molest her.
d. One of the "escapes" she was allowed was riding. While riding, she learned she has an affinity for the wilderness. Was allowed some bow hunting and found she was a natural with the bow.
e. When she was sixteen, stole servants clothes. leather armor. and a bow and ran away. Joined a mercenary company / adventuring company as a scout. Served with them for several years and traveled far from home. Evenually the company broke up however. With the breaking up of the company, she is feeling a little rudderless.

2. Think up at least 2 goals for the character. These are the things the character or you, the player want to see happen.
a. To find a new group she can belong with.
b. Tracking down the band of Hobgoblins that murdered her family.

3. Think up at least 2 secrets for the character. 1 should be a secret that the character has, and 2 should be a secret that involves the character but the character doesn't know yet.
a. (aware) Stories in the family tell of a bronze dragon having a relationship with the family matriarchs from centuries past with a child resulting. Afterwards family members found themselves having gifts and long lives.
b. (unaware) Her uncle actually orchestrated the hobgoblins attacking the village. Has been slowly finding ways to take over more and more lands. His eventual goal is to take the throne from the king.

4. Describe 3 people tied to the character through blood, romance or honor. Two should be friendly, one should be hostile. Everyone has friends and enemies.
a. hostile: Gesase. Uncle. He is actually a well respected noble in his nation even with his plotting.
b. Friendly: Koizard. Former leader of the mercenary company she was a member of. he decided to retire due to getting a little old for an adventurer's life.
c. Friendly: Vickhin. Former lover and friend. Was a member of the mercenary company but left about a year before the company broke up.

5. Describe 3 memories the character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
a. Having just fled from her uncle's latest attempt to molest her, sitting on a rock on a peak, feeling cold wind in her hair as she watches the land under her.
b. Finding a dead female bear with a bear cub nuzzling against her, obviously scared. Laying down next to the bear cub and finding something where they immediately bonded to each other.
c. Tracking through the wilderness, quietly watching a bandit camp as the rest of the group readied themselves to attack.

Aldurin
2023-10-25, 08:21 AM
Lestara will use Saddle Brown. [roll0]

Essentials:
1. Wields the gift of gab as her best weapon. Only feels in control if she has the chance to chat up others and influence a conversation.
2. Built her career on working with adventuring groups by offering to smooth out social situations while providing support with her pact magic in dangerous situations.
3. Worked with Golden Crowbar adventuring group for the past ten years and planned to retire with them before their last commission for an artifact recovery turned out to be a bust. The resulting collapse of the group has weighed heavily on her.
4. Tries to keep a cheery presentation no matter how bad she feels, something that has felt more fatiguing in recent months.
5. Builds grudges towards those who aren't receptive to her social grace, though only holds true hostility for those who try to harm her and her friends.

Goals:
1. Find Finnegan Montague: The leader of the now-disbanded Golden Crowbar vanished soon after the failed job that ruined the adventuring group, and Lestara is now certain that Finn had a secret deal with a client to make the artifact recovery publicly seem like a failure. The best trail she has is a dead middleman for the client that was traveling to and from the Elsir Vale regularly, with Finn's last known travel arrangements taking him in the same direction.
2. Figure out a way for the other surviving members of the Golden Crowbar to get the retirement payout for the job they botched, or at least find another source of financial security for them.

Secrets:
1. Claims she has access to some occult magical secrets to hide that her power comes from a patron well beyond her understanding. Afraid of how others would react if they actually knew about her pact and what it was bound to.
2. Unknown to her, she's been distantly monitored by agents of a cult that worships her patron. No direct action has been taken yet due to internal politics that disagree on whether Lestara's pact denied the cult their own power or if she is meant to lead them as the voice of their god. The cult is currently in a bit of chaos as the journey of revenge that is leading Lestara to the Elsir Vale caught them off guard and they're afraid of losing track of her.

Connections:
1. Finnegan Montague: The leader of the Golden Crowbar, acting as their scout and trailblazer. Was enough of a hardass that the group could barely negotiate any jobs before Lestara joined to handle the role in his place. Claimed to be willingly to do anything to make sure his friends were able to spend their days happy and in comfort, and before the betrayal seemed to be just a gruff and loyal friend.
2. "The Old Friend": Lestara's nickname for her pact patron, who uses a name she can hardly pronounce or remember. Appeared to her in dreams during her teenage years to offer power to her, and since then they've struggled to keep a steady working relationship. Lestara finds her Old Friend incredibly frustrating to work with since their goals and logic are obtuse beyond her own ability to make sense of. When being polite they will get Lestara's attention by having her thrush familiar speak in poems and riddles.
3. Elseer Lavant: The Golden Crowbar's expert of arcane magic. She needed the work and the prestige to get by so she could stay afloat and keep away from her family, a distant house of minor nobility that disagrees with how she's chosen to live her life and insists she should return to be arranged into a marriage with the daughter of a more powerful noble family. A close friend of Lestara's even through the collapse of the Golden Crowbar, she's been caught in a depression spiral while trying to sort out her ruined finances. Lestara has asked her to join the hunt for Finnegan, even though Elseer has been caught up in depression and doesn't share the same certainty that Finn betrayed them.

Memories:
1. Twenty-two years ago: While Lestara was working scams with a small gang of street thieves she began to struggle with what she thought were intrusive thoughts and hallucinations. Incoherent impulses popped into her mind as she saw pieces of the world around her shift like loose panes of glass. Her gang thought she was sick or cursed, and made the decision to abandon her by locking her in their old hideout. Lestara spent several days in distressed isolation until she was able to sort out that whatever was influencing her could speak coherently through her dreams, at which point they made a pact. She only remembered the broad strokes of the agreement when she woke, but she eagerly used the power to shatter the lock on the door. She never forgave the gang that left her behind.
2. Seven years ago: Lestara woke up in an unfamiliar bed in an unfamiliar room, the panic only abated when she noticed the somewhat familiar half-orc woman next to her. Right, she had been trawling the tavern rumors the night before for anything relevant to the local castle ruins that the Golden Crowbar were planning to venture into, and she had gotten carried away with talking up one of the barmaids when she should have left and reported back to her friends. They were probably wondering where the hell she vanished to. Duty and pleasure warred in her desires, until she resolved that she shouldn't keep her friends worried. Finn was gonna be red with short-lived anger when he found out that she had sidetracked her research for the same reasons as the other times. She made a promise to her bedside partner that she would stop back for another tryst when her work was done, then quickly made her way back to the group's meeting point.
3. Three months ago: "Why didn't he tell us!" Lestara cried into Elseer's tunic, the shorter woman gripping her into a hug while fighting back the same tears. They were in the alley behind the city's smithing guild, surrounded by members of the city guard who were busy trying to make sense of the gruesome scene further down the way. The captain had just explained that from what they could surmise, debt collectors had come force payment out of one of their friends and the resulting knife-fight had no survivors. Tarek, the Golden Crowbar's sharpshooter, lay face-down in mud mixed with his own blood spilled by several daggers lodged in his sides. His shortsword was a stained mess, surprising since he never seemed as good with a knife as with a bow. "Lestara." The captain tapped her shoulder to get her attention. "I can break the news to the others for you if you need." Lestara could only shake her head and grip Elseer's cloak more tightly while they both held back sobs. Meg was in volatile moods lately and it was already too late in the day to find her sober, she didn't know the city watch well enough to receive the news with any grace. Nelson would probably break his recent oaths to the local monastery and take up his spear against the nearest loan shark he could find if Lestara couldn't talk him down from it. And Finn had vanished from the city last week with no explanation and some last purchases that could only be suspicious. Lestara was beginning to doubt that he would even care that Tarek was dead. She straightened up with difficulty and addressed the captain. "No, friends have responsibilities to each other. I'll see mine through."

Benoojian
2023-10-25, 11:34 AM
I'm honestly surprised to get in, but super excited. Rickard however will speak in a calming Blue
[roll0]

TankLaser007
2023-10-26, 02:55 AM
Vymarax Silverstar (https://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2842933) glides in. I'll see how "Silver" (Grey) looks for everyone.

1. Think up at least 5 things about the character and his background that are essential to the character. This is your foundation for the character.

Strives to be an ideal of Tamara’s ethos and edicts.
Loves exploring and discovering new lands and people.
Feels an almost pathological need to be beneath the open sky, hates being underground or enclosed even within buildings/under a roof.
Is attracted to shinning and glittering objects regardless of value, stones of glass or polished minerals and crystals catch his eye as much as gold, silver and jewels,
Is aggressively protective of his friends and those in his care.

2. Think up at least 2 goals for the character. These are the things the character or you, the player want to see happen.

To see Tamara take a prevalent place among the Draconic and non-Draconic races once again.
Lay a Draconic undead to rest.

3. Think up at least 2 secrets for the character. 1 should be a secret that the character has, and 2 should be a secret that involves the character but the character doesn't know yet.

Too little time... He is embittered by his short life span, compared to true dragons, even to dwarves and elves his life will be "nothing". If only he had the time to really make a difference in the world. He fills shame for such petty desires so contrary to the ethos of Tamara. (known)
Blood calls to blood… He and his clutch mates are descended from the line of an evil and ancient underground dragon and several of his siblings are now in his service. (unknown)

4. Describe 3 people tied to the character through blood, romance or honour. Two should be friendly, one should be hostile. Everyone has friends and enemies.

Rozessylth: He met her through the Chromatic Revealers, a group he recently joined. He's infatuated with the Dragon, like him she is born of unconventional parentage, and shares his desire to better the world and see justice done, yet unlike him she's a true dragon and will live for hundreds of years. He's agreed to accompany her on her journey to the vale.
Ilyiaan Lunari: A half-elven bard he found in the wilds and healed, by chance (or is it?), he’s crossed her path a few times since then. They've spent many a night beneath the stars trading stories about the different places and people they have met.
Lev Synder: A human wizard obsessed with his research on Dragons and Draconic races. He once imprisoned Vymarax for a time and sought to experiment on him. The cleric was freed by a Chromatic Revealer.

5. Describe 3 memories the character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

Flying above the ocean at night entranced by the glittering sparkle of thousands of stars on the shimmering sea.
The acrid, pungent stench of burnt flesh in the aftermath of a red dragon’s attack on a small caravan of travelling entertainers.
The mix of fear and ecstasy the first time he channelled divine energy.

This looks like a "melee-light" party.

[roll0]

Cardea
2023-10-26, 04:33 AM
Genuinely and truly, I meant to ask for rollv and not just roll.

If there’s any adjustments you want to make for your sheet before we begin, let me know now.

I’ll have IC up this Friday.

Generally I’ll try and update every few days. If we’re in combat and you take an absorbent amount of time to take your turn, I’ll go according to how I interpret and read your sheet. This ain’t really a warning but just an assurance that if you can’t post in combat, you’ll still be a participant.

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-26, 06:07 AM
Roll V: [roll0]

Hopefully Warlor, my animal companion, can act something like a melee fighter.
Otherwise just glad to be here but feel a little weird as the only human.

Edit: I have all of 12 gold, 3 silver, and 7 copper.
Buying gear kind of for two did not help things.

TankLaser007
2023-10-26, 06:48 AM
Genuinely and truly, I meant to ask for rollv and not just roll.

If there’s any adjustments you want to make for your sheet before we begin, let me know now.

I’ll have IC up this Friday.

Generally I’ll try and update every few days. If we’re in combat and you take an absorbent amount of time to take your turn, I’ll go according to how I interpret and read your sheet. This ain’t really a warning but just an assurance that if you can’t post in combat, you’ll still be a participant.

I have around 700gp left I think I'll buy some alchemical items and maybe a bit more adventuring kit. If you approve, might we be able to pool remaining resources to buy party equipment or supplies? And does anyone need/want/suggest anything in particular insofar as useful gear?

[roll0]

Roll V: [roll0]

Hopefully Warlor, my animal companion, can act something like a melee fighter.
Otherwise just glad to be here but feel a little weird as the only human.

You've dragon blood so should fit right in. I have Magic Fang as one of my domain spells so I'll likely be casting that on Warlor pre-combat. If Rose is in your "natural form" I think she and Warlor w/ ranged support should do well holding the line. I hope.

Aldurin
2023-10-26, 07:03 AM
[roll0]

Nothing comes to mind shopping-wise last minute right now.

Frosty
2023-10-26, 07:05 AM
[roll0]

I gave 550g myself. I dunno what you all have, but once we get to a town, we can pool our resources to buy some wands of cure light wounds I guess? As for holding the front line, I think we'll be ok. I will command attention. If they ignore me, I bathe them in dragon breath!

Do you guys want to have a channel on discord to do ooc chatter?

Benoojian
2023-10-26, 09:44 AM
[roll0]

Rickard has a homunculous to craft long projects, and I can still craft at half speed during regular adventuring. I also am starting with a wand of cure light wounds. If you want to pool money to craft a second one(or any other cheapish item, I can give you the math if you want) it'll only take a day. Given there's apparently a bit of a time crunch I plan to make every bit of crafting count.

In combat I'm a caster with ranged combat as secondary(often using bane on my crossbow to tailor my shots to the enemy)

I'd love a Discord to chat in.

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-26, 03:23 PM
I have an inquisitor in a mythic game and because bane increases bonuses by +2, it allows it to bypass most DR types.
Bane can be quite a scary ability.

I added it to my previous post but though I would post that I have something like 12 gold total.
Pretty self sufficient but I did have to buy gear for Warlor as well. Meant I needed to buy gear I might not otherwise.
Just explaining why I cannot contribute much to getting a wand of cure light wounds.
I do have cure light wounds though and the spell Allfood means that we probably will not starve.

Cardea
2023-10-27, 04:26 AM
If you want to pool resources now ahead of time, I'm not opposed, but anything beyond a simple CLW is pushing it.

Could you all decide how you know one another, prior to this adventurer? If you don't think you'd know someone in particular, that's fine too.

Frosty
2023-10-27, 04:44 AM
Vymarax and Rose certainly know each other.

Cardea, do you want me to just set up a discord server for us? Or do you want to do that?

TankLaser007
2023-10-27, 06:04 AM
[roll0]

Rickard has a homunculous to craft long projects, and I can still craft at half speed during regular adventuring. I also am starting with a wand of cure light wounds. If you want to pool money to craft a second one(or any other cheapish item, I can give you the math if you want) it'll only take a day. Given there's apparently a bit of a time crunch I plan to make every bit of crafting count.

In combat I'm a caster with ranged combat as secondary(often using bane on my crossbow to tailor my shots to the enemy)

I'd love a Discord to chat in.

Maybe in game we see, I just realized your PC is an artificer not an alchemist, not sure how I managed that glaring oversight. So everyone knows I will have lots of in/out of combat heals. I can do the typical 3d6 burst heal using channel or can heal 3d6 via a 90' ray if needed I can burn other spells to spontaneously cast CLW x6; CMW x5; CSW x3 and can use a swift action to empower any heal spell/effect (+50%); I have Dispel Magic & Remove Curse prepared for those failed SoD effects. Healing/restoration type effects should be covered (unless I croak ... )

I have an inquisitor in a mythic game and because bane increases bonuses by +2, it allows it to bypass most DR types.
Bane can be quite a scary ability.

I added it to my previous post but though I would post that I have something like 12 gold total.
Pretty self sufficient but I did have to buy gear for Warlor as well. Meant I needed to buy gear I might not otherwise.
Just explaining why I cannot contribute much to getting a wand of cure light wounds.
I do have cure light wounds though and the spell Allfood means that we probably will not starve.

Allfood is a nice spell especially when used with animal companions and in "creative ways" you can eat your way out of manacles, out a lock off a treasure chest etc. I've also got access to Abstemiousness and have 10lbs of nuts so we should be good for rations, you should have create water too and I've a goblet that can produce 2gallaons p/day

If you want to pool resources now ahead of time, I'm not opposed, but anything beyond a simple CLW is pushing it.

Could you all decide how you know one another, prior to this adventurer? If you don't think you'd know someone in particular, that's fine too.

Vymarax travels around healing and preaching, to whoever will listen. He knows Rose and travels between communities he thinks may be in need of Tamara's kindness and mercy.

Cardea, do you want me to just set up a discord server for us? Or do you want to do that?

Yes. Did you want to flesh any of that out pre-game or just improvise .. ?

Frosty
2023-10-27, 06:08 AM
We can flesh it out a bit. I'm on discord right now to you wanna chat.

Benoojian: this is what happens when the bard convinces the artificer to give the barbarian a “ranged attack”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxoJ-L2Pmzb/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Benoojian
2023-10-27, 01:49 PM
Rickard can also access Goodberry and Allfood as an Artificer, so we're definitely good on food

Rickard also has a habit of wandering about to find people in need, both healing and problem solving, so they may have crossed paths during a previous plague or disaster. They may even have gotten into a bit of an argument since Rickard heals without divine patronage.

Frosty
2023-10-27, 02:45 PM
I am not sure how long Rose has been in the Vale for. She would be around, hunting for rumors of evil dragons and trying to find the rumored treasure.

Cardea
2023-10-27, 02:50 PM

Genuinely, my discord is primarily for work purposes, and I didn't really have any intention to bring GiantITP stuff into it. And I kinda don't want to draw away from a dedicated OOC thread.

If y'all really want to have a discord server, sure, I can set one up. But I'd still be keeping everything game relevant here, and ask everyone does the same as well.

Aldurin
2023-10-27, 06:01 PM
I personally don't need a discord chat to handle game discussion and can get by with just the OOC thread.

For previous connections there's some possibilities I see, but I don't mind being a stranger to some at the start:

1. Corwyth's similar career path would mean that even if she hasn't met Lestara then she's likely heard things about the Golden Crowbar company that Lestara was a part of (and Lestara in kind would likely at least have a passing awareness of news and rumors regarding Corwyth's old mercenary company). If they did meet then Lestara probably would have given her a way to talk concerns of mercenary work without it worrying about it blowing back on her own company.
[Fun Option] Lestara and Corwyth could know each other more if their two companies had more ties, like possibly resulting from a split of a single company and thus they end up knowing a lot of the same people and having a lot more awkward encounters with rivals of friends, even if neither joined until after the split. Higher chance of the connections from both sides having enough history with each other to make an interesting NPC tangle.
2. Rickard may have had the opportunity to sell some of his products to the Golden Crowbar company in the past, though as an artificer it's a toss-up for whether Lestara would have been present (she's got the haggling skills but no ground to talk with authority on magic). If he had a local reputation for his work then Lestara might recognize the name in passing as one dredged up from talking up inns and taverns to get a sense of a community's points of interests.
3. Rozessylth is a tough one to consider, since I don't know if Lestara would have encountered her during business (and it seems like she is positioned to be outside of the reach of gossip). If they did meet then Lestara would have probably tested the waters with some flirting before conversation shifted and she got distracted with someone else, but might not remember the encounter as well as Rozesslyth (a tall flirty catfolk is going to be harder to forget than other people).
4. Vymarax would be memorable if Lestara encountered him before but it sounds unlikely they have met unless Vymarax was traveling with Rozessylth in a potential meeting.

Frosty
2023-10-27, 07:49 PM
Genuinely, my discord is primarily for work purposes, and I didn't really have any intention to bring GiantITP stuff into it. And I kinda don't want to draw away from a dedicated OOC thread.

If y'all really want to have a discord server, sure, I can set one up. But I'd still be keeping everything game relevant here, and ask everyone does the same as well.

It's fine to have game info in the OOC thread. I've just found that generally, it's faster when the players need to discuss something and everyone can just chat on discord rather than wait for a response on the forum. The channel would most be for the players to talk to each other, plan, and prod each other if we go AWOL.

I personally don't need a discord chat to handle game discussion and can get by with just the OOC thread.

For previous connections there's some possibilities I see, but I don't mind being a stranger to some at the start:
3. Rozessylth is a tough one to consider, since I don't know if Lestara would have encountered her during business (and it seems like she is positioned to be outside of the reach of gossip). If they did meet then Lestara would have probably tested the waters with some flirting before conversation shifted and she got distracted with someone else, but might not remember the encounter as well as Rozesslyth (a tall flirty catfolk is going to be harder to forget than other people).
4. Vymarax would be memorable if Lestara encountered him before but it sounds unlikely they have met unless Vymarax was traveling with Rozessylth in a potential meeting.
I'm ok if we've met in one of the towns in the Vale before, but you would've met Rose in her elven guise, not her dragon form.

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-27, 10:29 PM
1. Corwyth's similar career path would mean that even if she hasn't met Lestara then she's likely heard things about the Golden Crowbar company that Lestara was a part of (and Lestara in kind would likely at least have a passing awareness of news and rumors regarding Corwyth's old mercenary company). If they did meet then Lestara probably would have given her a way to talk concerns of mercenary work without it worrying about it blowing back on her own company.
[Fun Option] Lestara and Corwyth could know each other more if their two companies had more ties, like possibly resulting from a split of a single company and thus they end up knowing a lot of the same people and having a lot more awkward encounters with rivals of friends, even if neither joined until after the split. Higher chance of the connections from both sides having enough history with each other to make an interesting NPC tangle.

I don't see reason that this could not be a hook to get my character involved with the party and Lestara specifically.
Which one we would have to decide which one works better.

Cardea
2023-10-30, 06:20 AM
So the module is set so that you haven't been in the Vale for any length of recent time, and that you're all heading into it. Keep that in mind.

I'm gonna set up the IC later today, sometime in the late afternoon, so I would love it if all character connections were finalized or discussed by then.

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-30, 09:21 AM
I have not read the module and effectively know nothing about it.
My only big understanding is that hobgoblins are a huge part of the adventure.
Is there something one should read to know what we would know and not know?

Aldurin
2023-10-30, 10:33 AM
I'm fine with going into this with the assumption that we are entering the area as outsiders. I don't have much time to post on my breaks so for the connection between Lestara and Corwyth it would be easier if they're just business acquaintances at the point of the campaign starting.

Kitsune Voss
2023-10-30, 10:50 AM
I'm fine with going into this with the assumption that we are entering the area as outsiders. I don't have much time to post on my breaks so for the connection between Lestara and Corwyth it would be easier if they're just business acquaintances at the point of the campaign starting.

Know each others names and enough to say hello on the street?

Aldurin
2023-10-30, 12:56 PM
That sounds good enough.

Frosty
2023-10-30, 11:20 PM
Just to make it simple, I’ll that Rose only knows Vymarux. Let’s get going on the IC

Frosty
2023-10-31, 07:28 PM
So...what are we waiting for?

Benoojian
2023-11-02, 12:12 AM
So Rose and Vymarux know each other fairly well and have worked together quite a bit

Rickard and Vymarux have met in a healing capacity of some sort

Lestara and Rickard met across a bargaining table and have some grudging respect

Corwyth and Lestara are business associates and worked together briefly

Now we all are entering the Vale at the same time, possibly in the same caravan.

Is that enough connections to start us off?

TankLaser007
2023-11-02, 12:55 AM
So Rose and Vymarux know each other fairly well and have worked together quite a bit

Rickard and Vymarux have met in a healing capacity of some sort

Lestara and Rickard met across a bargaining table and have some grudging respect

Corwyth and Lestara are business associates and worked together briefly

Now we all are entering the Vale at the same time, possibly in the same caravan.

Is that enough connections to start us off?

Well done!

Benoojian
2023-11-02, 01:15 AM
Well done!

Sorry just noticing you hadn't actually agreed to the connection between Rickard and Vymarux, my bad. Is it alright with you?

TankLaser007
2023-11-02, 01:29 AM
Yes I approve. Looks golden.

Frosty
2023-11-02, 01:56 AM
Looks good to me! Let’s get started!

Kitsune Voss
2023-11-02, 12:52 PM
Looks good to me! Let’s get started!

I think we are waiting on the game master

Aldurin
2023-11-06, 11:32 AM
Just checking in, any word on when the IC thread will start?

Frosty
2023-11-06, 12:08 PM
Last I saw the GM had a cold, but he posted that 3 days ago. Not sure what's going on.

Cardea
2023-11-06, 08:14 PM
Sickness just escalated, but feeling better now. Sorry for delay.

Starting tonight.

Frosty
2023-11-06, 08:30 PM
Sickness just escalated, but feeling better now. Sorry for delay.

Starting tonight.
Hope it wasn't covid!

Cardea
2023-11-07, 10:24 AM
Hope it wasn't covid!
Fortunately, it was not. I've yet to get it, I'm hoping to keep this nearly four year streak going. No, I was born with a condition known as "these lungs are awful".

Unfortunately, the forum has eaten two of my attempts to start this game. Will try again around afternoon my time. Whee.

Kitsune Voss
2023-11-07, 03:06 PM
Fortunately, it was not. I've yet to get it, I'm hoping to keep this nearly four year streak going. No, I was born with a condition known as "these lungs are awful".

Unfortunately, the forum has eaten two of my attempts to start this game. Will try again around afternoon my time. Whee.

I still wear a mask whenever I go into a business and seems to have helped.

Frosty
2023-11-09, 05:51 AM

Is the forum still eating your posts? :smallconfused: Can we help somehow?

TankLaser007
2023-11-10, 04:23 AM
Pro Tip: I often just put posts in docs and then copy/paste into the forum. It does happen if you have latency issues or poor connection the auto save function for posts can cause issues.

Frosty
2023-11-17, 08:30 AM
Cardea, is this game still happening? Let us know if something happened and you can't do it anymore?

Cardea
2023-11-17, 10:23 AM
Settled it last night. For some reason the forum was auto-deleting my started threads in the Ongoing Threads section.

Please take an extra 10 gold to buy appropriate clothing for the season.

Here we go, everyone. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662026-IC-PF1e-Red-Hand-of-Doom&p=25909333)

Edit: The banner image in each thread will take you to the other.

TankLaser007
2023-11-17, 10:30 AM
'Ere we go! Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!

Cardea
2023-11-17, 10:40 AM
'Ere we go! Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!

God, same. I bought an original copy of RHoD to run this, I'd be so disheartened if it was all for nought.

Frosty
2023-11-17, 02:56 PM
Settled it last night. For some reason the forum was auto-deleting my started threads in the Ongoing Threads section.

Please take an extra 10 gold to buy appropriate clothing for the season.

Here we go, everyone. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662026-IC-PF1e-Red-Hand-of-Doom&p=25909333)

Edit: The banner image in each thread will take you to the other.

Season? Oh it's basically winter time so it's very cold?

Cardea
2023-11-18, 03:45 AM
On Deck Notice: I'll be pushing forward this Sunday if not sooner.

TankLaser007
2023-11-18, 04:24 AM
I'm at work and will post tonight, once I've finished.

Cardea
2023-11-18, 06:43 AM
I'm at work and will post tonight, once I've finished.

Oh man, my tone wasn’t right.

It’s no pressure, it’s to let peeps know when I plan on moving forward, not me trying to be a principal. Sorry about that!

Frosty
2023-11-18, 09:20 AM
Oh man, my tone wasn’t right.

It’s no pressure, it’s to let peeps know when I plan on moving forward, not me trying to be a principal. Sorry about that! it’s good to keep a schedule of moving on. It keeps the game alive.

Cardea
2023-11-20, 06:40 AM
On Deck Notice: I'll be pushing forward this Sunday if not sooner.

On Deck Notice: Comcast killed my internet, says it'll be up in 7 hours.

TankLaser007
2023-11-20, 08:25 AM
According to google its the US's largest telcom. RIP net -- hope that True Resurrection or Breath of Life resolves soon...

Frosty
2023-11-20, 01:07 PM
On Deck Notice: Comcast killed my internet, says it'll be up in 7 hours.

I have comcast as well. I hate it when the outages happen without warning.

Benoojian
2023-11-20, 03:32 PM
Rickard loves to prebuff, so if you have a 10min/lvl or hr/lvl buff you want up to lvl 2, ask for it. He's willing to spend a few ingenuity points on allies. (mage armor, protection from arrows, barkskin)

Frosty
2023-11-20, 05:15 PM
Rickard loves to prebuff, so if you have a 10min/lvl or hr/lvl buff you want up to lvl 2, ask for it. He's willing to spend a few ingenuity points on allies. (mage armor, protection from arrows, barkskin)

Barkskin would be nice :smallsmile: I will tank for you guys.

Benoojian
2023-11-20, 05:52 PM
It'll be hilarious if we just get into town safely and didn't need any of this. I'll definitely waste a few slots being over-prepared throughout this campaign. Alchemical Allocation is a crazy fun spell by the way, even if it's gross.

Aldurin
2023-11-20, 06:00 PM

I have some defensive measures that should hopefully leave that unnecessary, but I'll keep that in mind for if we are certain to see trouble in later situations.

Benoojian
2023-11-20, 06:08 PM
I have some defensive measures that should hopefully leave that unnecessary, but I'll keep that in mind for if we are certain to see trouble in later situations.
it's only 1 min, but I've got scrolls of Bestow Grace (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-grace/) before realizing Lestara's the only character with enough Charisma to really benefit from them. So if you see a good opportunity for Rickard to cast that to make your saves unassailable let me know. Like a surprise round or ambush we set up.

Aldurin
2023-11-20, 06:12 PM
it's only 1 min, but I've got scrolls of Bestow Grace (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-grace/) before realizing Lestara's the only character with enough Charisma to really benefit from them. So if you see a good opportunity for Rickard to cast that to make your saves unassailable let me know. Like a surprise round or ambush we set up.

1st Reaction: "Paladins can do that?"

2nd Reaction: That's kinda an incredible bit of backup if we know that we're about to fight strong casters or other "save or X"-heavy encounters. I'll try to remember that.

Frosty
2023-11-20, 08:57 PM
It'll be hilarious if we just get into town safely and didn't need any of this. I'll definitely waste a few slots being over-prepared throughout this campaign. Alchemical Allocation is a crazy fun spell by the way, even if it's gross.

The allocation let’s you use the extract twice or something?

Benoojian
2023-11-20, 09:40 PM
The allocation let’s you use the extract twice or something?

Alchemical Allocation (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alchemical-allocation/) lets me drink a potion and then spit it back out to use it again later (which could be another use of alchemical allocation so the potion is NEVER gone). paid for a couple more expensive potions and plan to make a couple more later. Unfortunately it's personal only so I can't hand out my best buffs (at least not without making scrolls and y'all having UMD and no fear of backwash)

TankLaser007
2023-11-20, 11:13 PM
That is an interesting and very utilitarian spell, albeit a bit "gross" when it comes to sharing ...

Looks like an awesome build that will be very helpful. I'm interested to see how this party shapes up. Half of my domain spells are applicable to animals and we have a Bear w/ us so I am seeing lots of potential for synergies in our future. Especially once we've worked out how to cooperate and where our respective roles lie.

Cardea
2023-11-21, 06:46 AM
I have comcast as well. I hate it when the outages happen without warning.

I hate it when they lie.

ETA is still "7:00".

But now its for today.

Frosty
2023-11-24, 04:58 PM
Is Comcast still down? Happy post-Turkey day for anyone in the states! :smallsmile:

Cardea
2023-11-24, 08:09 PM
Rozessylth: [roll0]
Vymarax: [roll1]
Rickard: [roll2]
Lestara: [roll3]
Corwyth: [roll4]

[roll5]

Benoojian
2023-11-25, 01:06 PM
Is that Initiative?

TankLaser007
2023-11-25, 09:07 PM
Looks like perception.

Aldurin
2023-11-27, 08:38 AM
*Eyetwitch* I knew I was gonna regret delaying taking the Volkgeist clause. Trying to know things about people and places is really hard without magical LinkedIn.

Frosty
2023-11-27, 09:02 AM
What's the Volkgeist clause?

Aldurin
2023-11-27, 11:38 AM
What's the Volkgeist clause?

Part of a series of "Can use these skills untrained +2 bonus and every roll you can choose between taking 10 or rolling with advantage" clauses, focused on knowledge history, local and nobility. I'm already running the ones for social and stealth skills, but had to delay this one so I could make sure I'm not focused too narrowly. I'll probably use my favored class bonus feat to grab it next level.

Frosty
2023-11-27, 04:23 PM
Part of a series of "Can use these skills untrained +2 bonus and every roll you can choose between taking 10 or rolling with advantage" clauses, focused on knowledge history, local and nobility. I'm already running the ones for social and stealth skills, but had to delay this one so I could make sure I'm not focused too narrowly. I'll probably use my favored class bonus feat to grab it next level.

Since when does Favored Class give a bonus feat? :smallconfused:

TankLaser007
2023-11-27, 04:32 PM
I can't find any clear or exact rules for "quick descent" I've seen varying interpretations from capping decent between x4 fly speed to 150'-500' to no no cap. Some have caveats based on "falling" then DC 10 negate fall damage...

Yet nothing seems clearly definitive. So was wondering how fast can I land near the group, (especially the bear.) Can I land w/ the group and still take actions?

Frosty
2023-11-27, 05:09 PM
Cardea: You never gave me an answer when I asked this last month: Will you let Rose use her breath attack while in elf form so she isn't completely defenseless?

Aldurin
2023-11-27, 06:26 PM
Since when does Favored Class give a bonus feat? :smallconfused:

Avowed gives 1/6 of a bonus feat per level as its generic favored class option, should the specific racial one available not be appealing.

Cardea
2023-11-30, 02:10 AM
On Deck: Moving things forward on Friday, Dec 1st.

Benoojian
2023-12-01, 04:18 PM
Are we still continuing today?

Aldurin
2023-12-01, 04:29 PM
My guess is more internet instability. I'll be ready to keep moving once they show back up.

Cardea
2023-12-02, 03:16 AM
My guess is more internet instability. I'll be ready to keep moving once they show back up.

Thankfully not. I’m working a booth at PAX Unplugged this weekend and got back to my hotel later than anticipated.

Frosty
2023-12-02, 08:26 PM
Thankfully not. I’m working a booth at PAX Unplugged this weekend and got back to my hotel later than anticipated.

I hope you're having fun! Can we tell who the voice in draconic is speaking to?

Aldurin
2023-12-02, 08:31 PM
I hope you're having fun! Can we tell who the voice in draconic is speaking to?

My read is that the lizardfolk on horseback is being mistaken/understood as a local and possibly part of a competitor faction to whatever ambush we stepped into. I'm still trying to think over how that situation would read to Lestara before doing anything aggressive or ominous.

Cardea
2023-12-08, 01:17 PM
Please roll initiative.

Aldurin
2023-12-08, 02:14 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

this_is_fine.jpg

TankLaser007
2023-12-08, 03:29 PM
[roll0]

Here we go ...

Frosty
2023-12-08, 09:59 PM
Please roll initiative.
[roll0]

Cardea, will you let Rose use her Breath Weapon in her elf form?

Kitsune Voss
2023-12-09, 12:34 AM
Initiative
[roll0]

Cardea
2023-12-09, 03:52 AM
Depending on what I roll this will be funny.

[roll0]

[roll0]

Cardea, will you let Rose use her Breath Weapon in her elf form?
If the elf form is illusory, yes. If the elf form is a physical change of form, no.

Benoojian
2023-12-09, 01:45 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Benoojian
2023-12-09, 03:15 PM
Let’s try that again. I was told they fixed the preview post roll glitch. [roll0]

Aldurin
2023-12-09, 03:21 PM
We detected the ambush, had a conversation about the ambush and they're still getting the first bonk. Now we're really adventuring.

Cardea
2023-12-11, 03:26 PM
We detected the ambush, had a conversation about the ambush and they're still getting the first bonk. Now we're really adventuring.
Its honestly so funny.

Three of you don't have art on your sheets or are using an AI image. Could you check your sheets and make sure its linked properly or find something to use? Making tiles for the battle map.

TankLaser007
2023-12-12, 03:27 AM
Updated the sheet and here's the image:

https://i.ibb.co/BC605cJ/Silverstar.jpg

Frosty
2023-12-13, 02:29 AM
What exactly are we waiting for right now? We might want to use temporary tiles for those that don't have pictures.

Benoojian
2023-12-13, 12:38 PM
Are you asking for a simpler picture to use as a tile? Or asking us to remove the AI art entirely?

Cardea
2023-12-13, 01:35 PM
Are you asking for a simpler picture to use as a tile? Or asking us to remove the AI art entirely?
Removing it entirely. Due to my professional life I have a strict policy of not using or interacting with AI art as much as I am able to.

Aldurin
2023-12-13, 02:16 PM
I'm ready to go, got a serval face on the character sheet.

Benoojian
2023-12-13, 06:12 PM
Removing it entirely. Due to my professional life I have a strict policy of not using or interacting with AI art as much as I am able to.

I can respect that, replaced it with a picture that claims to be under a Creative Commons License.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/937383616110035014/1184632392472875018/Dwarf-mage.jpg?ex=658cade3&is=657a38e3&hm=09245a9d2ecb2b6818bf4cc026a9e20012c8c2529b4a747 92694a68d2dc58a0f&

Kitsune Voss
2023-12-14, 10:26 AM
I do see one item with AI artwork. At least you are not stealing someone else's work.
I can see both sides where AI artwork steals work for artists however.

Frosty
2023-12-18, 07:22 AM
So umm...are we going to start the first round of combat or not?

TankLaser007
2023-12-18, 10:48 AM
I am ready... although my action is likely laaast.

Cardea
2023-12-25, 03:53 PM
Was in a car accident. Home again. Posting soon.

Frosty
2023-12-25, 07:41 PM
Was in a car accident. Home again. Posting soon.

Hope you're ok!