PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your dream campaign ideas that you know are unlikely to happen

Ameraaaaaa
2023-10-25, 04:19 AM
Just stuff that you know would be cool but might never happen. Whether that's your groups preferences or being weird or hard to pull off or because nobody in group wants to gm it or being too ambitious or any other reason for that matter.

DigoDragon
2023-10-25, 05:44 AM
It's more a lack of time, but I'd love to run Curse of Strahd as a modern adventure taking place on the grand cruise ship, the SS Barovia. Your party is out in the middle of the ocean, communications to the outside world are cut off, and vampires are running the ship.

Satinavian
2023-10-25, 05:50 AM
Lizardpeople only campaign in a setting without humans or most of the nearly human races, with cultures that are all quite different from copy pasted earth medieval ones without having a higher tech level per se,

Ameraaaaaa
2023-10-25, 05:55 AM
It's more a lack of time, but I'd love to run Curse of Strahd as a modern adventure taking place on the grand cruise ship, the SS Barovia. Your party is out in the middle of the ocean, communications to the outside world are cut off, and vampires are running the ship.

God i love that idea.a bunch of normal modern people transported to the dnd world. Tho i wonder 1 what would be the campaign goal other then survival and 2ed if it's pure horror where running and hiding are the only options or survival/action horror where you have the option of fighting but only have so much ammo to fight with making any missed shot hurt a lot. Just a thought.

Kurald Galain
2023-10-25, 06:33 AM
I'd love to take the setting from Ultima V, with its draconian oppressive laws and three magical beings taking turns mind controlling entire cities, and see how a bunch of hapless player characters fare in that.

J-H
2023-10-25, 07:18 AM
I'm now running my Baldur's Gate II campaign, so that one can come off my list :)
I think I know how to plug together my "group of vampire PCs overthrow the city" campaign.

-Time travel campaign. Haven't figured out how to structure it yet.
-Primitive/stone age campaign, with more dinosaurs and no metalworking.

Ameraaaaaa
2023-10-25, 07:29 AM
I'd love to take the setting from Ultima V, with its draconian oppressive laws and three magical beings taking turns mind controlling entire cities, and see how a bunch of hapless player characters fare in that.

I remember the spoony one talking about it. Good times.

KorvinStarmast
2023-10-25, 11:36 AM
My dream campaign means that everyone shows up on time, and is ready to play.
Probably never gonna happen.

Pex
2023-10-25, 11:55 AM
A campaign about destroying the Deck of Many Things. Each card has an Entity that is the epitome of what the card does. Defeating/destroying that Entity removes the card from existence until none are left. This will include the beneficial cards.

The idea has two problems. It requires more than a real world year commitment to play out, and that's assuming playing weekly. If you play every two weeks, forget it. Second, what level to start as is unclear. It doesn't make sense a Deck of Many Things Entity could be defeated by a 1st-3rd level character. Part of the fun of the game is gaining levels so playing everything at 20th level doesn't work either. Maybe start at 10 or 11 and gain a level after destroying each Entity.

I thought of this during 3E/Pathfinder. Couldn't get the kinks out to make it work. By current coincidence I am looking forward to the new Book of Many Things that's coming out. Maybe it will help.

Buufreak
2023-10-25, 12:06 PM
2 different concepts, both of which I've tried making happen online and off.

1st is modern takes on gods living in a modern world, starting in roughly the year 2005. Part of the fun would be seeing how your take on divinity has adapted to (or refused to) the age of technology, and the modern problems that they might bring.

2nd would be a war campaign using variant rules for large scale battles, troops, military platoons, base/city building, resource gathering... something akin to command and conquer or civilization. It is just a massive time investment on the dm. I will say text format might be the best method for it because it allows the separation of nations until they actually meet and are capable of parleying in "person."

thorr-kan
2023-10-25, 05:08 PM
Build a campaign leaning into the dragonic conflict between Bahumt and Tiamat, using Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic, with Fiendish Codex I & II for wildcards. Significant trimming of base classes allowed so normal casters are not part of the mix.

Buufreak
2023-10-25, 07:35 PM
Build a campaign leaning into the dragonic conflict between Bahumt and Tiamat, using Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic, with Fiendish Codex I & II for wildcards. Significant trimming of base classes allowed so normal casters are not part of the mix.

Insert rick and morty I'm in meme here.

thorr-kan
2023-10-25, 08:20 PM
Insert rick and morty I'm in meme here.
Alas, I'll never run or play 3E again, but I might someday do some campaign building on my blog.

oxybe
2023-10-25, 08:58 PM
At first it was simply me trying to fit Blades in the Dark rules into LANCER rules. Then I found out about Beam Saber. So Now I'm hacking in Beam Sabre into LANCER as it's a closer starting point.

Once that's done i'm going to take in my old west marshes/travel type rules and toss those into the mix and work out the kinks of the game world outside of my rough elevator pitch:

"you're a group of mech-piloting mercs/corpo thugs/freedom fighters sent to a rimworld to get long-lost alien tech because [reason]. get ready to fight locals, other special interest groups and megafauna."

Verte
2023-10-25, 11:00 PM
2 different concepts, both of which I've tried making happen online and off.

1st is modern takes on gods living in a modern world, starting in roughly the year 2005. Part of the fun would be seeing how your take on divinity has adapted to (or refused to) the age of technology, and the modern problems that they might bring.

That sounds neat - I'm picturing something reminiscent of American Gods or Anansi Boys. I can see how that would be tricky to run, though.

One idea I have is for a game about a group of paranormal investigators that's influenced by the X-Files and various haunted house horror movies. The big issue is that there are a number of systems that are sort of designed to do that kind of thing, and picking one with the right vibes will take a bunch of research.

Another idea is for a fantasy romp about a group of adventurers who are all sapient dogs, kind of like the Canine Warriors in Okami. I feel like it would be difficult to keep this from becoming strictly a comedy game, as opposed to a game of high adventure and heroism that is occasionally comedic.

But honestly, I am just happy to be playing with people I get along with somewhat regularly, in person. The details are just gravy.

Pauly
2023-10-26, 12:27 AM
A Cyberpunk (or Shadowrun if needs be) campaign. The PCs own a small business operating vending machines in combat zone.

Tarmor
2023-10-26, 02:41 AM
One idea I have is for a game about a group of paranormal investigators that's influenced by the X-Files and various haunted house horror movies. The big issue is that there are a number of systems that are sort of designed to do that kind of thing, and picking one with the right vibes will take a bunch of research.

That fits one of my campaign ideas... A slightly modified 'Call of Cthulhu' (using a Stress system in place of Insanity, and slightly tougher PC's), set in 1920's England. More investigation of the unusual, less madness and sudden death. After the introductory session, the players will be working for Sir Vernon Kell in MI5 - as paranormal investigators. Influences would be the X-Files, Warehouse 13, and The Librarians. I've almost finished the starting session, and have a bunch of notes to expand. I'll keep writing this, but it may never be played.

Ionathus
2023-10-26, 09:52 AM
I've had the vague idea for some sort of "Primordials" campaign for a long while now -- basically, the players begin at the beginning of their world (or the beginning of its civilization), and they're all somehow (supernaturally?) aware that their actions will shape the world to come. Basically what you'd get if all the characters in a cosmogony/creation myth were aware how important their roles would be, and they're trying to set up future civilization for success and mold it according to their beliefs. I imagine it might play out something like a grander-scale The Quiet Year; I can't even decide if there would be combat or exploration, since it's not like there'd have been any precursors...I do truly want them to be some of "the first" people to exist.

My main hurdle is just how ludicrously high-concept this is: it would need extreme buy in from the players and we would have to abstract everything constantly. But I think it could be a really cool experience if we land the tone properly, and it would be an awesome way to set up the gods/folk heroes/culture/worldbuilding of that setting for future conventional campaigns.

thorr-kan
2023-10-26, 12:57 PM
An additional dream campaign that might (MIGHT!) see the light of day is a 2E AD&D Al-Qadim campaign set in Mahabba. It would be an all-rogues campaign, with every rogue class I can find in 2E retrofitted to the existing AQ kits. Elevator pitch: Northern Ireland run by the Mafia. No wizards, no priests, no warriors.

I'm running a 2E AQ game, off-and-on for the last 20 years. That might not wrap before we get to old to run this one. But we'll see.

Catullus64
2023-10-27, 07:40 PM
My collection of Call of Cthulhu campaigns will probably remain in the trunk forever, because no matter how hard I try I can never come to grips with the rules. Plots include:

A prospecting town in 1880s New Mexico accidentally free an imprisoned Shaggoth.
An Elizabethan playwright stages a comedy which is actually a ritual to summon Nyarlathotep.
All the players are freshmen students at Miskatonic University.
Call of Cthulhu ruleset, but it's the Hyborian Age of Robert. E Howard.
A straight-up ripoff of my favorite H.P. story, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, with players who haven't read it.

Kol Korran
2023-10-28, 03:44 AM
3 ideas, two are set in Eberron, one not related:
# A campaign set back a few years before the Lycanthropic rise and later purge. But were-people rules and origins are different than is normally perceived in D&D games. It is set in the area known as Droaam in modern Eberron. It is mostly a clash between civilization and the wild, with various semi-animal races in the wild (Gnolls, Centaurs, Harpies, Minotaurs) with a heavy emphasis on exploration- both of the wild lands, and of the multitude mysteries. Including secrets of major NPCs, the nature of lycanthropy itself, and the cycles in the past leading to this situation. As part of this, the lycanthropes, infiltrate the civilized settlements, including potentially NPCs with whom the players developed emotional investment.

The thing is... I have most of the campaign in my head, but I simply don't have the time yo sit down, write this down, check the mechanics (The part I usually hate), and assemble a group that can commit to this kind of a long term story.

# A campaign set in Argonessen! Contient of the dragons. After reading "Dragons of Eberron", I always wanted to run a high-level campaign there. I have an idea with a couple of dragons who lead The Eyes of Chronepsis, who manipulate the draconic population to an all out internal war, while they secretly weave themselves into the Prophecy itself.

# I'd really, really, really like to run a West Marches style of campaign. I tried pitching the idea a few times, but it just didn't work out in my local playing groups.

Ameraaaaaa
2023-10-28, 04:03 PM
A superhero game where everyone plays a normal person but can transform into a single powerful hero. I imagine the individuals are civilian scale and the super persona (I'm assuming secret identitys are in play) is collectively built by the group. Preferably with flexible powers. In super form would discuss what to do with our actions before coming to a vote or something
-mutants and masterminds as an example would probably have pl4 individuals and a pl 12 to 16 persona. And everyone would discuss what powers they have like whether he has a lot of alternate effects or has a variable power for example.

Grim Portent
2023-10-28, 06:35 PM
For a good few years now I've wanted to run a tactical 40k game about sieging a fortress as Chaos Marines using Black Crusade. Each PC would be a captain with command over a chunk of the sieging army, free to decide what their company consists of and how to deploy it. So someone might make an Artillery Company and get a bunch of siege engines to command, with crew and some infantry guards, another might make a force of melee fanatics, getting Khorne Berzerkers and cultists, another still might make a cabal of psykers who summon storms or daemons.

I'd track every soldier, every artillery shell, work out how effective cover of various kinds is, how long things take to do, how well each PC is doing at their job in the siege, based on results, time taken and casualties incurred/material lost, with NPCs and each other trying to jostle for position under their Chaos Lord, so whoever comes out with the best performance across the campaign 'wins.' If the siege is mostly won by grinding artillery, and the captain in charge doesn't lose all their stuff and take forever, then they 'win,' if summoned daemons storm the walls and sweep the victory with only minimal sacrifice of useful cultists then the daemonologist captain 'wins,' and so on.

Social encounters would mostly consist of bickering with each other, NPC captains, toadying up to the Lord and organising subordinates. A lot of the meat is working out how best to do things like move artillery close enough to deal damage to walls without being countershelled, infiltrating through wastewater systems or similar to sabotage AA defenses, summoning daemons to swamp the walls and so on. Magical space siege stuff.

Then once the siege hits a point where outright storming the fortress is feasible the PCs all get together, put down their maps, ritual implements and shovels, grab their guns and swords and get to the cathartic business of slaughter against enemies weak and strong alike, where all the bickering and squabbling gets set aside for the camaraderie of close quarters combat.

Would need a very particular group to want to play, and my current group is not it.

DammitVictor
2023-10-28, 07:50 PM
The White Whale: Two concurrent campaigns with same players, one set in Planescape and the other in Star*Drive that start out on a slow, slow burn as the two settings start crossing over and eventually merging, with the player characters crossing the Multiverse trying to prevent the disasters caused by the merging.

Groundhog Dungeons & Dragons: OSR ruleset, probably Old School Essentials Advanced; PCs are 1st level newbie adventurers who just drifted into a sleazy bordertown full of out-of-work mercenaries and surrounded by old-school (vintage and OSR) modules. Non-stop meat grinder, grasping and clawing for every short/long rest, and whenever a PC dies... all of the PCs wake up again on the morning of Day 1. And that's the only time they gain XP.

Terminator: Gangsters' Paradise: Terminator RPG. The player characters are all members of the Human Resistance, sent back in time to various times and places to prevent the formation of SKYNET and ensure humanity's survival. But they are not a team... they are the last surviving members of Resistance Cells whose members have been killed and/or captured in the call of duty, meeting for the first time in a derelict bar to discuss completing their missions. It is Saturday, 15-MAR-97 and Judgement Day... it would appear that every member of your little team believes that Judgement Day occurred on a different date. And you all known John Connor, your commanding officer and your messiah, like the back of your own hand... but it would appear that there are discrepancies in your recollections.

Ameraaaaaa
2023-10-29, 05:40 AM
I'm now running my Baldur's Gate II campaign, so that one can come off my list :)
I think I know how to plug together my "group of vampire PCs overthrow the city" campaign.

-Time travel campaign. Haven't figured out how to structure it yet.

For you time travel game timewatch rpg might be worth looking into.

Trask
2023-10-29, 10:59 AM
I'd love to run a sort of globetrotting, action movie, adventure thriller campaign concerning fighting Nazi UFOs and Nazi robots with bases in Antarctica and on the moon, backed by a mysterious global conspiracy, something totally out there like that. Really like a high concept action movie, almost like fast and furious meets mission impossible and call of duty.

It's a big scope though, and also to this day I really have no idea what system to use for modern action adventure, because on one hand I dislike systems that are too storygamey (like FATE) but I also dislike systems that are too crunchy (like GURPS). It's been hard to find a system that feels like middleweight crunch with a focus on action and adventure, that isn't fantasy or D&D.

I still haven't given Savage Worlds a proper look though.

Herbert_W
2023-10-29, 11:14 AM
Ever since reading the 3.5 sourcebook Elder Evils, I've wanted to run a groundhog-day-like campaign where all of the elder evils are released on the world at once. The players need to find a way to save the world from everything simultaneously, and every time they fail the whole campaign resets to the start.

The PCs would retain class features, though - resetting to level 1 would be too much of a loss.

Equipment etc. would not be retained on a reset. The knowledge of where to find a magic item (especially if it can be done quickly and easily after a reset, but only if you know how) would be more valuable than the item itself.

Lingering injuries would disappear on a reset. I could use a very extensive and very grim lingering injuries table without worrying about "permanent" consequences. Death would also be reversed on a reset - PCs might even get themselves killed deliberately if they can learn something valuable in the process.

Lore-wise, I'd have all of the PCs duped into performing a big divination ritual at the start of the campaign. At some point, they find out that the lives that they think they're leading are really just possible futures that the ritual is showing them. Once they've "saved the world" enough times in simulation, they have the choice to end the ritual and save it for real - but there'll be no take-backs once they're back in reality. Whatever happens, happens.

For the players to succeed, they'd need to make a plan to save the world, trial-run it until they can be sure they can pull it off, and then deal with whatever complications reality throws in that the divination ritual missed.

Groundhog Dungeons & Dragons: OSR ruleset, probably Old School Essentials Advanced; PCs are 1st level newbie adventurers who just drifted into a sleazy bordertown full of out-of-work mercenaries and surrounded by old-school (vintage and OSR) modules. Non-stop meat grinder, grasping and clawing for every short/long rest, and whenever a PC dies... all of the PCs wake up again on the morning of Day 1. And that's the only time they gain XP.

So, sort of like this - except in my campaign, the players have an overall goal to work towards, one PC dying doesn't reset the whole game, and there's a risk that they might ultimately fail.

thorr-kan
2023-10-29, 07:02 PM
GURPS Ice Age + GURPS Dinosaurs + GURPS Lands Out of Time.

I'd play that.

John Campbell
2023-11-03, 08:13 PM
I've been kicking around for years the idea of running a campaign that starts off as a modern-era action game, but halfway through the first adventure there's a flash of light and all advanced technology stops working. The problem is that I'm not really sure how to set up the bait-and-switch so that the players who would be happy with the switch would want to play the bait game. And it doesn't really work if they know in advance what they're getting into.

Another one I was tossing around but kind of missed the opportunity for was a present-day, present-time Shadowrun game, starting with the real world on the day of the Awakening and diverging from current events in real time as the effects of the Awakening made themselves felt. I never really had more than the high concept for it, though, and now that we're a couple years past Goblinization Day, it's kind of too late to do it up right.

SimonMoon6
2023-11-05, 11:51 AM
God i love that idea.a bunch of normal modern people transported to the dnd world.

I've done that before. I've done a lot of games where the PCs are the players suddenly finding themselves in strange worlds with strange game mechanics. When 3rd edition came out, I was running such a game, but it fizzled out. Where it was going to go in the long run was that a demon lord was going to find out about the real world and he was going to invade it with his demon hordes. Tanks and soldiers are no match for creatures that need magical weapons to hurt them. The PCs would need to stop that.

Games I'd like to run but don't think I will

Immortal Cavemen. The PCs start as members of a tribe of primitive people. One day, an enemy tribe comes to attack, but just then, a strange meteor crash lands between the two warring tribes. Everyone nearby gets one form of immortality (the normal kind where you just don't age or die, the "serial immortality" where you are reincarnated into a new human body when you die, a weaker serial immortality where you inhabit the body of a descendant when you die (so you better make sure to have some), etc.). And then the campaign takes place across all of human history (sometimes asynchronously) with old grudges being held onto for a long time (20,000 years ago, you kissed my girlfriend, so now prepare to be buried in concrete for all eternity). The reason I've never run this: I have no idea how to balance this, different time periods would require a lot of research, I want the different immortality types to matter (regular immortality means other immortals will know who you are, so that's a disadvantage, while serial immortality means you never know what body you'll be in during a given adventure), I want skills to come and go (do you still know how to do stone knapping during the French Revolution? Probably not, but you probably don't care), so there's a lot to deal with.

Medieval Europe Cthulhu in D&D game system Imagine a medieval Europe where the only religions are the real world ones (which have no actual magical power) and those religions have a strangle hold of power. Anybody who uses actual magic (wizards and sorcerers) are burned at the stake. Heretics (druids who have *some* power) are also burned at the stake. Most PCs therefore have to keep their abilities hidden. Clerics and paladins have no magical powers (except, of course, the insane clerics of the Cthulhu Mythos). The only non-hated magical healers are bards. Reasons for not running: I would need to do a lot of research in preparation regarding what medieval Europe was like during the years that I would run the game in... or possibly create a fictionalized Europe.

Superheroes in a non-status quo game. One of my frustrations with running a superhero RPG is that there are few real stakes. Every adventure gets the status quo returned at the end. Oh, sure, some adventures risk the world being destroyed, but it never really gets destroyed. Also, the PCs have no reason to be proactive. The PCs just sit around until the GM tells them that an adventure is happening because a villain is doing something. The heroes never generate the adventures. I want a game where something has happened. It's like, the day after the enemies have won. Maybe aliens have conquered the planet. Or maybe it's something more like TORG where different factions have conquered different parts of the world. Or maybe the Nazis are starting to win World War II with the help of their superpowered Nazis. And so, the PCs can go out and decide which areas they want to try to liberate, while also trying not to draw too much attention to themselves (for fear the enemies will concentrate their forces on them).

A New Age of DC Heroes. I love the DC Universe and I love Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG, but what I don't love is that if you try to run a game in the DC Universe, well, the universe is chock-full of heroes already. In a world that already has the Justice League, do they really need your feeble new hero? Probably not. So, let's start off a new world. In this world, Superman has just shown up about two years ago. The urban legend of Batman showed up shortly thereafter. You can't play as either of them. You make a new character which could be a version of a well-know DC hero (or related to one) or make up your own character (or make a character from some other work of fiction). If you make a "Wonder Woman" character, this is the version of Wonder Woman for this Earth (but it probably won't be as powerful as any other Wonder Women that you know about). The PCs form the Justice League (with occasional help from Superman and Batman when needed though they will rarely show up to meetings). And then... Crisis on Infinite Earths happens. And you may recall which Earths survived and got combined. And this Earth wasn't one of them. So, can you find a way to save this Earth? Or instead find a way onto the one surviving Earth (like Lady Quark did)? Or will everything be lost?

Post-Catastrophe D&D The 1st level PCs come back from their first adventure only to find that the big city is gone. A giant city-sized sphere of annihilation has fallen through and destroyed the big city (most spheres of anni don't fall but these do). And every major city is also gone. Every high level character (living in cities of course) is gone. All the magic shops in big cities? Gone. There might be one city where the sphere hit off-center and so a tiny part of the city survived. Meanwhile, armies of beast-men (centaurs, minotaurs, etc) have arrived through giant portals and have started to conquer what's left of the world. The PCs need to find a way to save the day, which is gonna be hard. This will be the whole campaign. Can the PCs gain enough power to even fight skirmishes with the beast men army? Then, can they track down the leaders of the armies? Then, can they find the supreme leader? And then... do they have any hope against someone that has conquered other worlds and other universes with giant spheres of annihilation and unending armies?

Spore
2023-11-05, 01:12 PM
Fully adult roleplaying within a certain era (with a bit modernist morality of course), but otherwise becoming as dark and descriptive as the Witcher does. I am no longer 14, nor 18, and I do not need D&D to fulfill my erotic fantasies. But I cannot immerse myself in a world where a rough orc, an evil witch or even just a grizzled paladin confess their love for anyone with the same lack of fervor a saturday morning cartoon mascot would tell you about the "birds and the bees" so to speak. The thing is, this requires a LOT of adult energy to play right.

Aside from that, maybe a setting where neither the anime trope of "church bad" nor the reverse of "angel good, demon bad" is true. A setting where the hubris of man is as much a topic as man is the pinnacle of both exalted and vile. You don't need a lich to be a monster, you don't need a divinely appointed saint to be good. To pick up on the Curse of Strahd prompt from before, the whole book is riddled with church as a last glimmer of hope, of misogyny, of distrust, of involuntary relationships, of the undead and dark forces. What if we did Curse of Strahd, but vampires are just immortals that can procreate via bites? It would not be gothic horror anymore, of course, but akin to some sort of dark fantasy series. What if the worst person in the book would be the vampire hunter with his unreasonable hatred for those he deems unnatural? What if it was Lady Wachter who culls her enemies in the wake of supposedly cleansing flame in an effort to establish a dictatorship within Lord Strahd's monarchy?

Yeah I'm just describing Game of Thrones, but for Barovia at this point.

Bohandas
2023-11-05, 02:28 PM
"The Steamroller" or "Why Doesn't Elminster Just Fix the World's Problems"- High level party going through several low-level adventures within a short in-game time limit

RedMage125
2023-11-08, 04:10 PM
I would love to run or play in a [Maximum] Xcrawl campaign.

The setting is also perfect for one-shots, but I'd like to do a long term campaign using those rules.

thorr-kan
2023-11-08, 06:19 PM
Back in college (early 90s), I had an idea for a Beyond the Supernatural/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness crossover set in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Campaign assumptions:
1. Ley lines run from Duluth to Rochester to Mankato to St. Cloud to Duluth. This places the Twin Cities between multiple ley line nexuses and inside a ley line "triangle."
2. Somebody BAD has just complete a ritual triggering a zombie/demon/entity incursion (I was undecided).
3. Doc Feral (a TMNT&OS bad guy) had just released a horde of heavily-armed, paramilitary, humanoid rabbits in response.
4. The PCs are BtS characters caught in the Twin Cities.
5. Campaign begins in media res.

LCP
2023-11-09, 12:03 PM
I feel like with my schedule the way it currently it is + the fact that I run PbP, all my ideas that aren't the campaign I currently run are in this category. Three that have been stuck in my head for a while are:

A WFRP game about trying to establish a colony town in Lustria, including a 'prologue' about actually getting the backers, ships, resources etc. to succeed (probably in either Marienburg or Nordland).
A homebrew-world game about trying to explore the 'Shattered Sea' - an ocean formed by the impact crater of a big asteroid (comparable to the one that killed the dinosaurs), that's also full of some kind of magical fallout that's made it historically inaccessible. Playing a lot with the idea of pre-human civilisations and geological time, the idea would be that the PCs would be among the first wave of explorers able to penetrate very far into the Sea (as the fallout diminishes or as people figure out how to deal with it better), and would be able to unearth clues about their world's deep past unknown to their home nations.
A homebrew-world game about a flying island of scholars - a university/university town that figured out how to levitate the ground it was sitting on, and floated away to avoid an impending world war (or similar man-made disaster). The campaign would be about the island returning to its home continent generations after the event, trying to reconstruct what happened after they left, and maybe bringing some of those cultures' old sins/old ways of thinking back with them when the survivors on the ground have found ways to move on.

Easy e
2023-11-10, 11:17 AM
Back in college (early 90s), I had an idea for a Beyond the Supernatural/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness crossover set in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Campaign assumptions:
1. Ley lines run from Duluth to Rochester to Mankato to St. Cloud to Duluth. This places the Twin Cities between multiple ley line nexuses and inside a ley line "triangle."
2. Somebody BAD has just complete a ritual triggering a zombie/demon/entity incursion (I was undecided).
3. Doc Feral (a TMNT&OS bad guy) had just released a horde of heavily-armed, paramilitary, humanoid rabbits in response.
4. The PCs are BtS characters caught in the Twin Cities.
5. Campaign begins in media res.

That all made sense to me, and if I was still in the area I would play it.

thorr-kan
2023-11-10, 05:22 PM
That all made sense to me, and if I was still in the area I would play it.
Alas! For the carefree days of youth!

Thanks, that means a lot.

Another Beyond the Supernatural campaign ideas is the "Save Victor!" campaign.

Victor Lazlo is the patron saint of Beyond the Supernatural, and in the game's backstory he disappeared. Early Rifts canon had BtS being the past of Rifts Earth; this has since been disavowed. Victor appears on Rifts Earth, as detailed in the Triax and the NGR worldbook.

Meanwhile, back on BtS Earth, Lazlo's minions, coworkers, and disciples continued his good work as detailed in the never-produced Nostrodon: Agents of Darkness and the stillborn The Lazlo Agency supplements.

The "Save Victor!" campaign would have PCs be members of Lazlo's successor organizations. Diviners are trying to find Victor, because they are receiving hints that his return is necessary to resolve a great evil. PCs would be equipped with the best mundane and esoteric equipment the orgainization could provide and tasked with entering interdimensional rifts to bring Victor home.

Think Quantum Leap meets Sliders meets Stargate: SG-1.

Possible destinations grew as Palladium created new games. They included:
The Astral Plane (Nightbane: Between the Shadows)
Hero World (Heroes Unlimited, 2E)
Bug World (Systems Failure)
Bond World (Ninjas & Super-spies/Mystic China)
Mutant World (TMNT & Other Strangeness)
Future Mutant World (After the Bomb and Transdimensional Turtles)
Dead World (Dead Reign)
Night World (Nightbane)
The Nightlands (Nightbane: The Nightlands)
Chaos Earth (figure it out)
Rifts Earth (see above)

Jay R
2023-11-10, 06:18 PM
All the PCs grew up in a small village deep in a haunted forest, with only one road going through it. There has been less and less traffic on the road over the past few decades.

The old folks talk about how much better everything was when there was a real king. There was traffic on the road, lots of trade, etc.
The PCs' parents don't want them listening to such talk -- takes their minds off farming.

Eventually, long after the game has gone on for a long time, the PCs discover an abandoned castle, with a large round table in it.

The king who died a few decades ago was King Arthur, and they are adventuring in the dark times after the end of the great age of Camelot.

____

The game is Champions. The PCs are told that they will play 31st century super-powered teenagers who want to join the Legion of Super-Heroes. They are to build low-level characters (150 points), each with a single basic power or theme (lightning, mental powers, etc.) Since it's the Legion, they cannot have any tech-based powers; their abilities must be themselves.

Since they are traveling across the galaxy, they cannot have any Contacts, Favors, or other Perks based on where they live.

On the trip to Earth, they fall into a weird space warp. When they come out, they do not recognize any of the stars. Their technology starts failing, and lasts just long enough for them to survive crashing on an unknown planet, at the medieval level.

The game isn't Champions; it's Fantasy Hero. [Same rules structure, but for a fantasy game.] They are lost on a medieval fantasy world, but they each have one (low-level) super-power.

MrZJunior
2023-11-20, 06:35 AM
I've wanted to run what I've called a "city building game" for lack of a better term. It takes place in the capital city of a once great empire. The throne has been empty for a century.

The players would be working for a faction trying to crown its leader. To do so they need to be accepted by the Senate, people, and Army. Other factions are trying to do the same.

The game would be about building up political capital and winning people to the cause. You can do this by hosting chariot races, renovating old monuments, endowing temples, handing out bribes, and other such things.

I only have one gaming buddy who I think might be interested in this sort of thing. Besides, I have no idea how it would work mechanically.

Vyke
2023-11-20, 11:40 AM
Just stuff that you know would be cool but might never happen. Whether that's your groups preferences or being weird or hard to pull off or because nobody in group wants to gm it or being too ambitious or any other reason for that matter.

An Orpheus campaign. One day...

A Deadlands campaign. One day...

I also had an idea for Mage, the Sorcerer's Crusade where the characters were proto-Technocrats trying to stop various monsters from threatening the peasantry. Starts as a monster of the week thing with a metaplot that would build over time as they realise there are forces trying to guide the Renaissance for their own nefarious purposes. Like Supernatural but medieval and... y'know... better.*

*Don't come at me over that, any Supernatural fans. I've watched the whole thing, I've earned this!

RedMage125
2023-11-20, 12:28 PM
Starts as a monster of the week thing with a metaplot that would build over time as they realise there are forces trying to guide the Renaissance for their own nefarious purposes. Like Supernatural but medieval and... y'know... better.*

*Don't come at me over that, any Supernatural fans. I've watched the whole thing, I've earned this!

If you want another really great example of how this is done well, check out Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

It's a SD series that is mostly episodic "monster of the week", but with more character development than any other SD series, and an overall metaphor that develops. It's only 2 seasons long, but it's amazing.

Xapi
2023-11-30, 07:46 AM
I've always wanted to play in a "Redcloak sans Xykon" campaign (and possibly without the actual Red Cloak).

A campaign where the PCs are all goblins (or another "usually minion" race) who attempt to rally different tribes to, first, rebel against their overlords, then, establish a functioning central government that allows them to negotiate with the other races and coexist within their own formal territory.

Pex
2023-12-07, 12:14 AM
My secondary group with me as DM will be starting a new campaign. I'll be running Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but with the help of the Book of Many Things I'll be trying my Deck of Many Things theme I've been wanting, incorporated the theme into the dungeon.

Mordante
2023-12-07, 06:20 AM
A Cyberpunk (or Shadowrun if needs be) campaign. The PCs own a small business operating vending machines in combat zone.

Love this idea.

Pauly
2023-12-09, 09:41 PM
Love this idea.

The campaign was to start with the PCs dealing with juvies vandalizing and stealing from the machines, dealing with rival vending machine operators and so on. Fairly low level stuff.
As the campaign progresses they start to expand and upgrade. Which then attracts the attention of the crime syndicates (irl a lot of vending machines are/were controlled by organized crime because it is a cash business and very good way to launder money).
I had the area the PCs starting from at the border where 3 crime syndicates met so the PCs would have a lot of options on how to play off the competing interests.

NB the vending machines were going to be selling things like stimpacks, one shot pistols, ammo mags as well as the regular items like food, drink, as well as other items Japan is famous for selling from vending machines.

Psyren
2023-12-11, 11:49 PM

I remember the spoony one talking about it. Good times.

Better yet, we could adapt Ultima 9. The players are legendary heroes who've somehow forgotten even basic information about the setting they're sworn to defend.

"What's a paladin?"

Champion Pickle
2023-12-28, 07:22 PM
A gramarie campaign.

Gramarie is so cool, but at the same time I cannot fathom how you're supposed to run any adventure using it.

Buufreak
2023-12-28, 10:42 PM
A gramarie campaign.

Gramarie is so cool, but at the same time I cannot fathom how you're supposed to run any adventure using it.

Upon a quick Google search, I believe I would like to learn more.