PDA

View Full Version : Spellshot Engineering Success? (Spheres in Review)

SangoProduction
2023-10-25, 07:12 AM
Preamble: Spellshot Engineer is a Gunslinger archetype for spheres... which grants a focus on the mana sphere. Anyone who has even glanced at my reviews regarding the prior two subjects might well wonder if I'm planning to sling a gun upon myself, for the torment these inanimate constructs of fiction built by unfeeling squiggles on a web page.
I am not. I am actually thinking that this has quite the potentially positive upside. That perception may be influenced by being in a state of delirium at 5 am. Maybe it's the only way the Gunslinger can actually seem good. I don't know. That's what I'm here to figure out, because I cannot sleep if I don't. Do not read the spheres wiki before bed. Especially many hours after you should be in bed.

Post-Review Analysis: Well. Holy Crackers, Batman. I think I can, with no sense of hesitation or doubt, call this a decidedly good archetype. I expected to get the rug pulled out from under me yet again. But I think this is unironically good.
Its power is conditional. Yes. But I think that conditions (that aren't too onerous) are a good thing - especially for optional archetypes. They help build the flavor of the class and subsequent character. And I think this falls perfectly into that slice where it's flexible enough to fit almost any Spell-Gun Slinger idea, and still be cohesively a Spell-Gun Slinger.

I'm going to have to make a full proper build, once I get the chance.

(1) Superb: You always want this if it's relevant to you. And it probably is.
(1.5) Really Good: Particularly useful bits of kit, but aren't quite must-haves. (Kept it decimal, because spreading out Good so far from Superb felt unrepresentative. But I needed a step between)
(2) Good: These make useful additions to the right builds. Among your first picks.
(3) Usable: Doesn't hurt to have. Wouldn't go out of your way for it.

(4) No: It technically has a use, but the cost to take simply doesn't outweigh the benefit.
(5) Never: There’s no non-trivial reason to pick it up, from its mechanics.
(6+) Harmful: Taking/using this is actively detrimental to your character.

<Angle brackets> around a rating indicates situational usefulness, and how good it is in that favorable situation.
[Square brackets] indicate a reliance on the group (players or DM) or campaign you’re playing in, and how well it does in those select groups.

Special Ratings:
(C) Cheese: A talent so broken that it will be instantly banned if you use it as you could.
(?) Unrated: I choose not to rate it. Often because it is just so far out of my wheelhouse, or it’s far too ambiguous.
(F) Flavor: This indicates that the main draw to the talent is going to be its inherent fluff or flavor, rather than raw power or utility.
(D) D***bag: Used for when your character wants to be a D***bag.

Class Features

Casting (5): Low caster (1/2 lvl as CL). Boo. Hiss. Terrible.
Blended Training (1): You see? This makes me jelly. The much more recent Champions of the Spheres actually acknowledges that gaining new talents each level is fun. Normal low casters are screwed with outdated talents = CL + 2. Like, low casters already have a difficult time casting. Let them have some breadth of experience.
So, yes, this fixes that, and gives the Gunslinger a magic or combat talent every single level.

Magic Firearm Tinkerer (1): It's a straight upgrade on Gunsmith to also make your weapon a magical implement. In order to channel a spell through the gun, it must require a ranged touch attack, or affects a burst-, cone- or line-shaped area. (Very well thought-out there while making sense to include some AoE. I love the design work.)
Oh, and you get to make up for some of the caster level downside at a rate of 1 + (1/4 * (level -1) ), so long as you get it the appropriate enhancement quality. Which is actively trivial to accomplish, even on your own. Doesn't fully make up for losing 1/2 caster levels. But it goes a fair ways, such that you are a normal full caster until level 3. And it's not until level 9 where you actually have less than 1:1 ratio of CL and level, if you also took a trait to get +2 to CL in a couple spheres. (And notably, with those traits, you do push slightly above 1:1 while lower than level 7 - in those specific spheres, yes.)
The spell can, however, explicitly critically fail - but in more predictable ways.

Theory of Maximized Risk (1+): (The ability that made me consider this review.) Specialize in (amp) talents of the Mana sphere (full CL, and bonus talent). And amplifying a sphere effect gives that effect +1 CL per amp. And you can (eventually) cast multiple amps on a single effect.
Amps are basically Metamagic, if they were less cringe for sphere users. But also required the Mana sphere. Lots (in terms of individual effects) of good options (thanks Archmagi). Lots of very bad ones. But a single talent often has a good mixture - such that you grab some crabs when you go for lobsters. And hey, occasionally you want crab legs. It is unironically good design to mix it up like that.
When you include this, and the trait to add +2 to your CL (up to char lvl), you literally never dip below a 1:1 ratio of level to CL (in those spheres), and even end at CL 21 by level 20.
Yes, it's conditional; yes, it takes extra spell points. But, it's a low caster. Also, you're spending spell points for way more metamagic than you would normally every consider using, and the CL evening out is more of a bonus.

True Spellshot (2): A bonus (Strike) talent. I think (strike) talents may be defunct due to Champion's Spell Attack feat, which is basically a universal (strike) feat, if I remember correctly. But hey, it's free, and can easily tide an early character over until later. (Also, later features do specifically make use of (strike) talents, including at least one for whom them being incompatible with Spell Attack was a clear and obvious feature, not a bug.)

Jampacked Arcane Rifling (): Some unique (amp) abilities. Neat. Replaces a bunch of totally useless gunslinger deeds. Even more neat.
Packed Spell (3): [level 1] -1 misfire range, and +50% range increment. But only when using (strike) talents. It's a thing.
Chockablock Spell (2): [lvl 11] Spell point. +2 misfire range. The line from you to your target of a (strike) spell takes 2 fire damage per die of damage. So basically only usable with Destruction sphere. But let's be honest, you probably have it, and might actually want to use this, since you have it anyway.
Hellfire Spell [lvl 19] (1.5):: Really neat. 1d12 damage per spell point spent on the sphere effect and the amps, and take half that to yourself? That's just... That's really rather neat. Open to alpha strike abuse. But it's literally level 19. We had that problem 13 levels ago. (Not so much in spheres, but still.)

Spellshot's Deeds: Replaces the largely worthless gunslinger deeds with new ones.
Oh, and on crit or knock out, next deed costs 1 less spell point.
Ultimately, in my opinion, these should not have been given out at preset levels, but instead in a pool like Bestial Traits for Shifters. Some of these do well with certain builds, but in forcibly getting them at a given time, it basically says that you ought to have certain talents by that time, or else you're just inefficient. Also, there's a fair point to be made: The earlier your entire build comes online, the better it is. So delaying it, by filling the levels with chaff is a fair enough tactic.

Elemental Bullets (2):: Spell point. Swift action. 10 minutes / class level. Deals bonus elemental damage equal to CAM. It's a thing. If making real attacks - and especially a lot of them - it's an even more real thing. (And despite the stereotype, Gunslingers have very little compulsion to max Dex, as they target touch, as full BAB characters... just the class normally has jack all else to do.)

Thermoarcanic Powder (1): 1 spell point. Instant reload with magic as ammo.
Also just get to freely max out your enhancement bonus to CL without even using Enhancement sphere. But you can to make it even more efficient (or just use the slightly more effective bonus of the sphere for a shorter time).

Illusory Rifling [lvl 3] (1+): Spell point, swift action. Will save for treat as feinted. Even leaving aside the fact that, on success, you now only target an AC 10 to hit many things, as a full BAB character... because that's excessive... there's an entire sphere that's based around feinting, and it's held back by how garbage feinting is. This makes that really good.

Infused Magnetism [lvl 3] (1+) Spell point. Gain +2 to hit against metal-wearers or metal creatures. And then every other attack with metal or firearms has another +2 to hit, until dislodged as a standard action (with a heal check DC 15 on top of it).
Like... Almost every single weapon in 99% of parties is metallic. And the removal of this debuff, which scales, is not guaranteed, even as a standard action. So I actually rate the ability to (as a non-action, just spell point) encourage an opponent to potentially give up multiple standard actions is a very big win.

Supernatural Sniping [lvl 7] (1.5): Spell point (uinless you have Spell Attack), and you get to treat a (strike) spell as if it were just a (snipe) talent, using the Sniper sphere's Deadly Shot. I already rate the sphere highly because it can bust out some sick debuffs as a martial sphere, and you can potentially get a second [snipe] talent applied. This does *not* allow you to add 2 (strike) spells, since the conversion only happens at the moment of casting, and you can only cast one thing in a given action. But the [snipe] talents are Good. Very solid, the lot of them.

Temporal Flux [lvl 7] (???): Spell point. 10 min / lvl. Reload reduced to swift action. With Expert Reloading talent, it's a free action.
You could have already gotten free action reloading, if you dipped into Black Powder Brawler with the same talent... much earlier. But this is really bleeding appreciated, because you don't *have* to make that same dip for every single gun character. Even if it is faster. Also gives you more levels in this apparently amazing archetyped class.

Dimensional Gait [lvl 11] (3): Once per round. On hit, teleport 10 ft directly away or towards the target. Up to 30 feet for a spell point. It's... something. Not a lot.

Vigorous Aiming [lvl 15] (1.5): For [level] rounds... which is likely several combats' worth by this point... each attack heals for 2d6... or 4d6 if it was as an attack action... which you already have Supernatural Sniping. There's literally no reason why it wouldn't be. But you can also take Barrage sphere to absolutely blast out 4d6 x (number of hits), every single round. Add in a Merciful pistol. Maybe of tiny size, and you can just blast your friends for effectively infinite out of combat healing.
With none of the investment that even Life sphere asks for that ability. But its at level 15. So... like... who cares? You could already have infinite out of combat healing so long ago. And in combat... Well, no one's going to take umbrage with Fast Healing 14, which you can spread around to allies, if you desire. But also by level 15 it's not particularly overwhelming.
As a player, I would simply never use the Barrage option, on account of that then causing the DM to need to ramp damage to an absurd degree.

Retribution [lvl 19] (?): On kill, you can revive someone. Neat. I guess. Conditional, and already an effect you could already do so, so much earlier. Well, maybe not you, the Gunslinger, but still. Why do we need an Akshan passive exactly? Why does Akshan have this passive?
(I think that this was actually just added as a joke to josh on League of Legends, because literally no one gets to level 19.)

Seerow
2023-10-25, 08:45 AM
This is actually an archetype I've come back to again and again. I really want to play one, just haven't found quite the right campaign for it. But there is just so much interesting things here. Like a gun shooting magic as its bullets is something that's been exciting to me since I first played Shadowrun and wanted to find a way to make it happen in that game. But here in this game? Still an awesome concept. And then you get great mechanics to back it up.

1) Elemental Bullet, as you noted you get CAM as a bonus to damage. But you're also getting it several levels earlier than normal gunslingers get their dex to damage. Means you're coming online as a primary damage dealer earlier. But as you point out the damage being tied to casting stat instead of dex means you can skimp on dex and go with casting stat as your primary. There is a ton of good packed into this one ability and it's small enough to be easily overlooked.

2) The Amp Sphere specialization forces you to interact with a subsection talents I had never looked twice at previously. And a lot of the Amp talents have 2-3 different effects, so you can ramp up versatility very quickly/easily. Also you already pointed out the benefit of CL boosting between this and the enchanted gun that also acts as a universal CL booster (for any spells that involve your gun at least, which should be most of them), keeping your CL on par with a full caster all the way to 20 when you're going all in. You might not always want to max out all your Amps, but it is nice to know when you do you're not going to be outshone by someone else just because you're a low caster.

From there all of the deeds and stuff are just gravy. The core chasis is good enough I am interested, then you get a bunch of fairly unique abilities to use with it on top of your talents? Man I love this Archetype.

True Spellshot (2): A bonus (Strike) talent. I think (strike) talents may be defunct due to Champion's Spell Attack feat, which is basically a universal (strike) feat, if I remember correctly. But hey, it's free, and can easily tide an early character over until later. (Also, later features do specifically make use of (strike) talents, including at least one for whom them being incompatible with Spell Attack was a clear and obvious feature, not a bug.)

Spell Attack isn't a universal strike feat, it actually works with (Strike) talents, but turns them into Attack Actions. So having a Strike Feat is still nice, but especially for a Champion being able to use Vital Strike and get your normal martial riders onto your strikes is pretty good. (There is a different feat, I think Sphere Virtuoso, that makes it so if you have 2 strike feats, you automatically get the strike feat from any other sphere you pick up, which is pretty nice for this kind of class where you may want a variety of spheres)

SangoProduction
2023-10-25, 08:55 PM
Fair enough. Shows how little I use (strike) style builds.
I still believe that (strike) should just be a universal "metasphere" effect. And to be fair, it can be done trivially with drawbacks. But then you are forced to use the (strike) talents for those spheres.

But yeah. This is a real shocker of an archetype, and I love it.