PDA

View Full Version : Critical Thrower

cartejos
2023-10-25, 08:27 AM
I'm starting at level 15 and wanted to play a thrown weapon build that focused on crits.

Barbarian 7
Huntsman (DM allowed using Thrown Weapon Style instead of Archery)
Ape Totem (Primarily for free power attack)
Street fighter (bonus crit range vs ff)

Feats: EWP(orcish shotput)(human); disciple of darkness (1); quick draw (huntsman 2); power attack (ape Totem); brutal throw (3); combat expertise (6); point blank shot (huntsman 6)

Disciple of Dispater 8

Feats: Improved Critical (9); power throw (12); Neraph Throw (15)

I've asked my DM about the crit stacking, and they allowed the +1 from streetfighter so apply before Disciple of Dispater/Info Crit, threatening 9-20 vs FF and 13-20 otherwise

Gear is undecided as of yet, but definitely some energy burst shotput

Game plan is to open with a few throws to soften up enemies, Neraph throw means the first throw against each enemy will always have the +1 from streetfighter, round 2 charging with a falchion to clean up.

Effective? Upgrades? Options I haven't thought of? All input is appreciated

Twurps
2023-10-25, 03:42 PM
I'm not familiar with the 'huntsman' ACF. I'm assuming that's the unearthed arcane one that gets you ranger-ish stuff, which you then traded for quickdraw as a DM houserule.
If so: wouldn't you also get a feat at 6th, for the improved combat style?
you also have 'brutal thow' twice (3rd and 12th level)

I've never done a crit-build, as it's hard to pull off in 3.5, and I dislike 3.0. So my experience with this is limited, however: it's my understanding you still need to hit the targets AC for a Crit to actually land (with the exeption of the nat20 auto-hitting) So whilst critting on a 9 is nice, for most challenging encounters this would still be a miss.
IF you hit with your crit, you still need to confirm your crits. The 'power critical' feat (CW) or 'battle ardor' ability (warblade 3, ToB) might be worth considering there.

Finally: I've never seen any thread about crits without mention of the Kaorti resin special material and/or scythe weapon, for their nice crit multipiers.

holbita
2023-10-25, 06:44 PM
Hum...

I like the barbarian thrower route, but feels to me that you are taking the effort of taking the brutal throw and strength throwing related feats but... foregoing rage? I don't think that's a good idea.

As I see it, you have two routes here, charging or full-attack ranged. I get that you are going for crits but... those are usually best if ranged when added to something like a bow, not a thrown weapon, keep in mind that even with returning you will get to throw the weapon once per round. It's either that or buy and upgrade a lot of shotputs.

If your plan is going to be to just throw on the first round and then charge with falchion I believe you are investing more than you need. You have good BAB, and you can draw a weapon as part of a move action, so first turn would usually be move to position yourself then attack with the shotput. Second round will be charge to melee...

If that is the case I think you can ignore quick draw and brutal throw. You will have more than enough attack to hit any flat-footed enemy. And you should be getting the crystal that gives quick draw and returning for your shotput either way, so you don't need the feats. That's two free slots.

Regarding choice in weapons, you may be better with a two-handed weapon that you can also throw instead of a falchion, and for sure invest in hide to do some shooting and hiding, you should have enough skill points for it don't lose anything from doing so.

Can you convince your DM to use the variant rule of weapon groups from Unearthed Arcana? that would give the exotic weapon proficiency whithout spending a feat.

And on second thought... scratch all that, I'm just going to suggest something totally different.

Ignore the Neraph throw, don't divide this into two different rounds. Take the "Hurling Charge" feat from Miniature's Handbook. That will allow you to charge and throw at the same time... and it feels like the perfect option for someone not getting pounce.

Morphic tide
2023-10-25, 11:53 PM
Thrown weapons with 18-20/x2 crit for Kaorti Resin abuse:

Barbed Dart (Races of Faerun): Martial, 1d4 Piercing damage, 20 ft. range
Glot (Frostburn): Exotic Primitive, 1d4 Bludgeoning damage, 10 ft. range generally and against air, 20 ft. on normal level ground, 30 ft. on ice, can do ranged trips
Razor Skipdisk (Frostburn): Exotic Primitive, 1d6 Slashing damage, same range conditionality as Glot but no trip

Actually using Kaorti Resin is mutually exclusive with Disciple of Dispater, though it is a wider crit range if you can get enough flat modifiers to make up for the lost damage and range over Shotput. Giving the weapon Returning would also be helpful to not bring more of them. The Greater Demolition Crystal to crit Constructs or Truedeath to crit Undead, both from Magic Item Compendium, are also strongly recommended. Many qualities with "burst" in the name give bonus damage on-crit, some with nice bonuses like Desiccating Burst inflicting Fatigued.

If "Huntsman" is the Favored Enemy+Fighting Style AFC, then Supernatural Blow to turn your Favored Enemies into a (partial) crit-immunity bypass and Murderous Intent to automatically confirm crits against them are a great pair of feats.

ShurikVch
2023-10-26, 08:30 PM
Why not go Hulking Hurler - and use Gargantuan Shotput?

Abyssal Bloodiron material (Planar Handbook) adds +4 on confirmation roll

Since your character is already Evil - Flesh Ring of Scorn (Magic Item Compendium) auto-confirms up to 3/day - in exchange for some damage to your PC; 8,000 gp

Gorthawar
2023-10-28, 08:46 AM
Have you considered taking 4 levels in bloodstorm blade? There are a fair few feats you can skip when you go down that route.

Something like Barbarian 1 (Whirling Frenzy ACF), Warblade 4, Bloodstorm Blade 4, Disciple 5 should work quite nicely. With blood in the water you can stack boni consistently when using a falchion for your ranged attacks with a crit at 12+. You can use power attack for those attacks and have 4 attacks per round using whirling frenzy with an extra 4 str. All ranged attacks will be done using str to hit and 1.5 str for damage without need for an additional feat. If you need more feats you can swap some of the Warblade levels for Fighter levels.