PDA

View Full Version : explosive runes stories/ideas

UMDPenguin
2007-12-10, 11:06 AM
This is by far my favorite spell. It doesn't cause as much trouble as web, grease, or glitterdust, but it is just hilarious.

Last week we chased a troglodyte druid up an elevator shaft. Being low on spells and fairly beatup, we decided to spend out evening in a rope trick near the bottom of the elevator. I had an unused 3rd lvl spell slot so i took 15 mins to prepare explosive runes and used it to write "f you" (in draconic) on a piece of paper, and put it on the corpse of a dead trog we dragged near the elevator. (we were gonna send the body up the elevator Die Hard style but didn't wanna break the elevator =D )

Anyway, moring comes, we hear the elevator coming down, so we get ready to swarm out of the rope trick. The druid walks to his dead comrade, picks up the note, and prompytly explodes. At this cue we pour out, surrounding him and taking him down by the end of the second round. My character (the cartman of wizzards) was laughing his ass off, as were most of us OOC.

Anyone else have some good stories or ideas for this spell of comedic genious?

Solo
2007-12-10, 11:36 AM
Pay the merchant with a personal check signed with Explosive Runes.

Craig1f
2007-12-10, 11:42 AM
This is by far my favorite spell. It doesn't cause as much trouble as web, grease, or glitterdust, but it is just hilarious.

Last week we chased a troglodyte druid up an elevator shaft. Being low on spells and fairly beatup, we decided to spend out evening in a rope trick near the bottom of the elevator. I had an unused 3rd lvl spell slot so i took 15 mins to prepare explosive runes and used it to write "f you" (in draconic) on a piece of paper, and put it on the corpse of a dead trog we dragged near the elevator. (we were gonna send the body up the elevator Die Hard style but didn't wanna break the elevator =D )

Anyway, moring comes, we hear the elevator coming down, so we get ready to swarm out of the rope trick. The druid walks to his dead comrade, picks up the note, and prompytly explodes. At this cue we pour out, surrounding him and taking him down by the end of the second round. My character (the cartman of wizzards) was laughing his ass off, as were most of us OOC.

Anyone else have some good stories or ideas for this spell of comedic genious?

It would have been funnier if the note had read "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning"

UMDPenguin
2007-12-10, 11:43 AM
i've been trying to come up with a way to do something similar and get a +5 tome of int at higher levels for free =D. Not really sure how i can get away with it though. anyone know what kinds of scryings i'd need myself to be safe from to make that work. assuming the standard large city setting when i reach this point.

UMDPenguin
2007-12-10, 11:45 AM
It would have been funnier if the note had read "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning"

Only one of the guys would have gotten the joke. and my character is an ******* (like i said, think of a highly intelligent eric cartman). but yes, that was an obvious alternative =P

Amiria
2007-12-10, 11:48 AM
Old thread from me, with question/idea. Here is the first post, read more if you like. But don't post there, that would be horrible threadomancy.

Situation

You (a mighty wizard) interrupt an enemy spellcaster with a readied action as he is about to read a spell from a scroll.

Your readied action is to cast Explosive Runes on his scroll via the Reach Spell feat or the Archmage's Arcane Reach ability.

Question

Can the enemy spellcaster complete his spell, that is, in which order does he read the Explosive Runes and the spell on his scroll ? The scroll is destroyed when the Explosive Runes detonate.

linky to the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18685)

Craig1f
2007-12-10, 11:53 AM
Only one of the guys would have gotten the joke. and my character is an ******* (like i said, think of a highly intelligent eric cartman). but yes, that was an obvious alternative =P

The good thing about the joke is that I don't think you actually have to read OotS for it to be funny.

Old thread from me, with question/idea. Here is the first post, read more if you like. But don't post there, that would be horrible threadomancy.

Situation

You (a mighty wizard) interrupt an enemy spellcaster with a readied action as he is about to read a spell from a scroll.

Your readied action is to cast Explosive Runes on his scroll via the Reach Spell feat or the Archmage's Arcane Reach ability.

Question

Can the enemy spellcaster complete his spell, that is, in which order does he read the Explosive Runes and the spell on his scroll ? The scroll is destroyed when the Explosive Runes detonate.

linky to the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18685)

I would argue that you cannot use Arcane Reach for explosive runes, because the spell involves actually writing the runes with an ink pen, and infusing them with magic. In fact, if I were DMing, I'd only allow someone to cast the spell as a standard action if they wrote a single letter or word, with bad hand-writing. I'd expect the spell to take about a minute to cast.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-10, 11:55 AM
Since Explosive Runes require no material component, any high-level Sorcerer/Wizard should be writing up a couple of Runes every day, and amassing a stockpile. Here's some evil fun you can get up to when you've accumulated a bunch.

Find an old battleground cemetery, with graves of lots of low-level Warriors.
Summon a couple of small earth elementals to dig up the graves.
Use Animate Dead to bring the skeletons to unlife.
Tie one Explosive Runes parchment scrap around the neck of each skeleton.
Send your skeleton army forth, widely separated, to attack an enemy position.
The skeletons are individually wimpy, but the Explosive Runes make them dangerous to approach. Yet arrows aren't very effective on skeletons, so your opponents will have a hard time stopping the skeleton army without expending a lot of resources.

Amiria
2007-12-10, 11:59 AM
I would argue that you cannot use Arcane Reach for explosive runes, because the spell involves actually writing the runes with an ink pen, and infusing them with magic. In fact, if I were DMing, I'd only allow someone to cast the spell as a standard action if they wrote a single letter or word, with bad hand-writing. I'd expect the spell to take about a minute to cast.

There is no in pen or material component whatsoever mentioned in the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm). And casting the spell is a standard action, anything other would be a house rule.

Craig1f
2007-12-10, 12:10 PM
There is no in pen or material component whatsoever mentioned in the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm). And casting the spell is a standard action, anything other would be a house rule.

I'm aware of what the book says. But this is DnD, not WoW. The DM should be making an attempt to reasonably interpret the "spirit" behind each spell and rule. I think a reasonable interpretation of the rules is that you have to actually write the runes somehow, even if it's just with your glowing, magic finger.

I can't imagine actually being able to use arcane reach on a scroll. I CAN imagine using arcane reach to put graffiti explosive runes on a wall 30 feet away, with large lettering though.

Regardless of what the rules say, you should envision how the spell is actually being cast.

Of course, you may disagree entirely with me. I'm just saying the way that I personally interpret it. If you think that the spell description, which says that it's a "standard action", means that you can point at a scroll and say "make the spell trigger an explosive rune", without actually being able to see the words on the scroll, well your opinion is equally valid. I just disagree.

ColdBrew
2007-12-10, 12:34 PM
I think a reasonable interpretation of the rules is that you have to actually write the runes somehow, even if it's just with your glowing, magic finger.
Ordinarily, yes, the spell says that you trace out the runes upon an object bearing written information. However, it is still only a standard action to cast. From this, we can infer that the runes are not particularly complex, as you can trace them in less than 3 seconds and with no more concentration required than any other spellcasting. Arcane Reach simply lets you touch something 30 feet away. If you'd allow someone with Arcane Reach to deliver a vampiric touch to a distant opponent, you can't reasonably deny the ability to place explosive runes on a distant object.

I can't imagine actually being able to use arcane reach on a scroll. I CAN imagine using arcane reach to put graffiti explosive runes on a wall 30 feet away, with large lettering though.
You seem to be under the impression that he wants to apply Arcane Reach to the spell scribed upon a scroll and that explosive runes requires you to write out the actual text it's being placed upon, neither of which are true. The scroll is merely the target of the spell, and the runes are placed upon preexisting written information. Are you suggesting that a prepared scroll is not written information?

If you think that the spell description, which says that it's a "standard action", means that you can point at a scroll and say "make the spell trigger an explosive rune", without actually being able to see the words on the scroll, well your opinion is equally valid. I just disagree.
No one is trying to alter the effects of the spell scribed upon the scroll. He just wants to plant the explosive runes on it so that anyone trying to cast the scribed spell, which requires reading the scroll, will trigger the explosive runes. Whether or not he can read the scroll himself is irrelevant. He doesn't have to carefully position the runes between the letters or any such nonsense. The runes aren't even detectable to most people. He just has to target an object bearing written information. Would you rule that a player cannot cast Blindness on a target whose back is turned because he can't see their eyes?

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-10, 01:05 PM
1) Eric Cartman rules.

2) He'd read the runes before its complete unless you put the runes right at the bottom.

tensai
2007-12-17, 07:30 AM
Since Explosive Runes require no material component, any high-level Sorcerer/Wizard should be writing up a couple of Runes every day, and amassing a stockpile.

Wow... that's a nice DM you've got there. Mine would slap me with a Dispel Magic and laugh as my scrollcase went Chernobyl.

Zenos
2007-12-17, 07:35 AM
I've got an idea for a minefield, simply put up signs all around your base and write the ER's on them in a language that most people can read (like common, or undercommon, or Draconic, wait, Draconic is only a universal language for my characters), watch them read an BOOM.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-17, 07:43 AM
One DM of mine let me homebrew an ER level four that chain triggered every ER within 4'... we leveled half a mountain with that one and completely gimped ourselves of the Great Wyrms hoarde because of it. Still worth it. Good times.:smallsmile:

Yrnes
2007-12-17, 11:00 AM
Back in 2ed days my group had a CN Halfling Transmuter (aptly named "Pooky") that fell in love with explosive runes (to the point where he would always have 3-4 on hand and kamikaze into battle, letting the poor clerics clean up the mess).

His favored use of the spell, however, was in payback of anyone who "wronged" him, (its a wonder he never turned evil), particularly a tavern that threw him out for rabble rousing. He scribed "Your Ale SUCKS" in ER and asked the bard on his way in to deliver it to the barkeep for him, took a safe distance, and watched the fireworks.

Epic_Wizard
2007-12-17, 02:23 PM
Guys the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm) according to SRD says that "You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information.".

This means that while you could do like V does and write something and THEN cast the spell on it you can also touch a preexisting book or scroll and then it would explode when read.

According to the rules for Sundering (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#sunder) a carried or worn object you would make an attack against the object's AC "A carried or worn object’s AC is equal to 10 + its size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character." which means that the scroll's AC is 10 + [AC mod for a small object] + [subjects dexterity mod] since none of these disappear from a Touch Attack Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#cast a spell).

I would say that you would have to see the face of the scroll however because while you don't actually have to write anything to create the runes you do have to "trace these mystic runes" on to the object and the subject does have to read them. I would say that the ranged touch attack would trace the runes onto the face of the scroll that you can see.

If I were DMing this I would make the caster make the ranged touch attack as if the scroll had concealment unless they had an unusually good view with concealment getting lower as you get further away from "behind" the enemy with their back being to the direction that the effect will go. If the target doesn't have a particular direction then I would say that they are facing the direction that they last moved or attacked in.

Then I would roll a percentage and if the die lands on any number other than a specific one (say 1) then the runes go off before the spell is cast and the scroll may be destroyed. If it is not then the caster has to make a caster level check as normal for taking damage while casting.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-17, 03:23 PM

How about:

Now I have Explosive Runes!
Ho! Ho! Ho!

Ganurath
2007-12-17, 03:29 PM
After defeating the lich, the party wizard used Explosive Runes to leave a note on the body saying "Let's do this again some time!"

Laurellien
2007-12-17, 04:20 PM
1) Get a rock.
2) inscribe about 20 explosive runes on it.
3) throw the rock at an enemy.
4) cast dispel magic.
5) Deliberately choose to fail the check.
6) Laugh your arse off as the poor sap who just got blasted by an exploding rock dies in front of you.
7) ????
8) Profit!

Glawackus
2007-12-17, 04:36 PM
How about:

Now I have Explosive Runes!
Ho! Ho! Ho!

I almost spat rice all over my keyboard just now. You, sir, get half an Internet.

rankrath
2007-12-17, 04:53 PM
I think the best I did during a roleplay heavy political campaign, My character had gone a quite mad due to taint, and had backstabbed the rest of the PC's, instilling himself as dictator in the process. The rest of the party had organized a mob and were planning to launch a coup, and had gotten farther with it than I would have liked. MY response was to take a huge poster, write "Fine, I Give Up" on it, then cast explosive runes on it. I walked out in front of the mob with it, and held it up. Carnage insued.

TheLogman
2007-12-17, 05:45 PM
Purify spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Purify_Spell,all) is fun with not only Explosive Runes, but all area spells. As long as both you and all your allies are of the Good type, good times. Make a tons of sheets of paper stockpiles, each with a Purified Explosive Rune. Tape as many as you need to your close-combat fighters. Alternatively, just scribe the runes all over the armor every night. The enemy reads them, and your fighter has a slightly exploded opponent to beat down.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-17, 05:55 PM
funny that this should come up just as i made a dungeon with this paticular spell as part of a trap.

there is a room with five doors, and a statue. the statue is holding a real sheat of paper in its hands. the paper says that the doors will only open when all five handels are turned at the same time. these are all pressure-plated on the doorknob themselves; a button that is compressed when it is turned. the doors all open by force of springs on the other side of the door, and 4 of the 5 doors are trapped. there is nothing behind the doors, but the fifth one holds a note. the note tells the party that if they survived,, then they are successfull, and to read the rug for further instructions. when the party looks down and reads the rug that is so large, they all stand on it, they all trigger the rug-sized message that says 'Gotcha!'.

the door they are looking for is the trap door underneath the 30x20 exploding runes rug.

LoneStarNorth
2007-12-17, 07:26 PM
If I ever got a player who was obsessed with explosive runes, I'd just send barbarians after him.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-17, 07:47 PM
Wow... that's a nice DM you've got there. Mine would slap me with a Dispel Magic and laugh as my scrollcase went Chernobyl. Explosive Runes only explode if the Dispel Magic fails. More likely they'd just be turned back to scrap parchment.

Also, a Heward's Handy Haversack makes nice protection against dispels, as the contents aren't in the same space as the exterior. Few spells cross dimensional barriers.

Curmudgeon
2007-12-17, 07:51 PM
5) Deliberately choose to fail the check. And how are you going to do that? You can choose to fail a saving throw against a spell directed at you. A Dispel Magic check isn't a saving throw. What you're proposing isn't an option in the D&D rules.

RandomFellow
2007-12-17, 08:29 PM
Explosive Runes only explode if the Dispel Magic fails. More likely they'd just be turned back to scrap parchment.

Also, a Heward's Handy Haversack makes nice protection against dispels, as the contents aren't in the same space as the exterior. Few spells cross dimensional barriers.

Arcane Mastery + Level 5 Dispel.

You auto-fail against the minimum CL for Explosive Runes.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-17, 08:46 PM
1) Get a rock.
2) inscribe about 20 explosive runes on it.
3) throw the rock at an enemy.
4) cast dispel magic.
5) Deliberately choose to fail the check.
6) Laugh your arse off as the poor sap who just got blasted by an exploding rock dies in front of you.
7) ????
8) Profit!

House Interperations that can counter (may or may not be perfectly RAW):
1) The rock is one object, and Explosive Runes is a non-instantaneous spell - only one such Rune can take effect.
2) They are handled sequentially - the first Rune to go off destroys the object bearing the others, causing them to not go off.
3) You're deliberately Dispelling your own spells - you auto-succeed all the Dispel checks.

Oh - and you don't need to deliberately choose to fail the check - just Dispel at the minimum caster level, and have a lot of Runes. Statistically, you'll get enough of them to vaporize everything in the area if you've got a lot of them.

Epic_Wizard
2007-12-17, 10:16 PM
Purify spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Purify_Spell,all) is fun with not only Explosive Runes, but all area spells. As long as both you and all your allies are of the Good type, good times. Make a tons of sheets of paper stockpiles, each with a Purified Explosive Rune. Tape as many as you need to your close-combat fighters. Alternatively, just scribe the runes all over the armor every night. The enemy reads them, and your fighter has a slightly exploded opponent to beat down.

God Purify Spell is BROKEN!!!

Let's start with Fireballs and work our way up to Mark of XXXXXXXX or Glyph of XXXXXXX spells and then think about what THAT would do. Anyways... [/rant]*cough*

Good not withstanding unless your armor is a good aligned intelligent magic item (and I hope your DM made it the opposite gender from you :smalltongue: ) then the explosive runes would still deal damage to your armor which kind of defeats the purpose...

Though this idea certainly makes leaflet drops more effective :smallamused: and even more so if you have the pieces of paper cast Comprehend Languages on the first person to pick up the paper at which point... :smallbiggrin:

Okay on topic I just had THE most evil idea (except for my next one)... to stop a Formian invasion you create a trap that casts comprehend languages on anyone approaching a sign in the road which of course had... EXPLOSIVE RUNES ON IT!!!! As lawful creatures if you make the sign appear as something they would show interest in you could blast their scouting parties with it and then use other minor spells to clean up the mess. :smallwink:

OOOOO!!!!! Most EVIL IDEA EVER!!!!! You contact a Balor or other powerful demon that is affiliated with an even more powerful demon lord and tell him that you have a Book of Vile Darkness or some other powerful evil tome or piece of written material and that in exchange for some minor services you are willing to give it to him to present to his lord. When the demon lord reads it... BOOM!!! and he will probably subsequently tear his servant to shreds as for his foolishness or perceived treachery :smallbiggrin:

Seriously this makes me want to create a Rogue/Wizard who likes to pull pranks on people with spells :smallamused:

tensai
2007-12-17, 10:37 PM
Explosive Runes only explode if the Dispel Magic fails. More likely they'd just be turned back to scrap parchment.

Oooh, thanks for the tip! DM just gave me a H^3, so I'll definitely try that.

Icewalker
2007-12-17, 10:39 PM
OOOOO!!!!! Most EVIL IDEA EVER!!!!! You contact a Balor or other powerful demon that is affiliated with an even more powerful demon lord and tell him that you have a Book of Vile Darkness or some other powerful evil tome or piece of written material and that in exchange for some minor services you are willing to give it to him to present to his lord. When the demon lord reads it... BOOM!!! and he will probably subsequently tear his servant to shreds as for his foolishness or perceived treachery :smallbiggrin:

Balor: "Oooh, a powerful tome of evil you say?
...(violent death of PCs) awesome! This'll fetch me some favor."

Mewtarthio
2007-12-17, 11:18 PM
Balor: "Oooh, a powerful tome of evil you say?
...(violent death of PCs) awesome! This'll fetch me some favor."

And what have learned today, kids?

Always use Planar Binding when making deals with demons!

No, you ignorant morons! Merciful Asmodeus, may you all be devoured by Pit Fiends for your stupidity! ...Though that is nice to know...

Epic_Wizard
2007-12-18, 08:29 AM
And what have learned today, kids?

Always use Planar Binding when making deals with demons!

No, you ignorant morons! Merciful Asmodeus, may you all be devoured by Pit Fiends for your stupidity! ...Though that is nice to know...

OR make deals using an Illusionary Image and a Bigby's Grasping Hand. :smallwink: