PDA

View Full Version : Murdererest murdered in 5e(multiclass, lvl.12)

HoboKnight
2023-10-26, 02:33 AM
Hey guys,
here I am asking about character build reflecting the dogma of Bhaalite(follower of god of Murder, Bhaal). I have 12 levels at my disposal. What level/class combination would reflect an absolute brute killer?
Rogue assassin is one option, but it is also pretty glass cannon-y. I'm thinking raw strenght, durability and ability to dish out deadly damage.

I was in fact thinking Barb1/Ftr Battlemaster 6/Rogue 5. Tough and can dish out a lot of damage and has rogues' sneak attack. Is there an evil paladin option?(oathbreaker is not an option, since he does not break the oath).

Thanks!

Derges
2023-10-26, 03:12 AM
Is there an evil paladin option?(oathbreaker is not an option, since he does not break the oath).

Thanks!

Classes are not tied to alignment although some paladin oaths are harder to justify.

The Oath of Conquest could fit easily, Vegence too with a minor tweak of perspective.

Anymage
2023-10-26, 03:14 AM
Oath of conquest, as mentioned, is a perfect fit for your classic LE type. Oathbreaker could also fit, whether as a former paladin of a goodly god who fell or just by pasting another name over the word "oathbreaker" and adding Bhaalite tenets.

Kane0
2023-10-26, 03:53 AM
Battlemaster 6 + Assassin 3 + Paladin 2 + Genie Warlock 1.
You will need str 13, dex 13 and cha 13. You can be a bugbear, half orc, or vhuman taking the Piercer feat. Poison your weapon too.

If you surprise your victim, you have advantage and automatic crits if you hit. Weapon dice, maneuver dice, smite dice, sneak attack dice, poison dice, hex/divine favor dice, genies wrath dice, all doubled. Then the piercer or half orc bonus thrown on top because why not.

You'll be passable at other stuff, but when you choose to murder someone, you wont half-ass it.

Edit: The warlock isnt super necessary, especially if your table doesnt short rest a lot. You can do battlemaster 3 / assassin 3 / paladin the rest if you want.

Unoriginal
2023-10-26, 04:45 AM
Hard to do more brutal than Beast Barbarian.

The one I played literally chewed a Demon to death.

J-H
2023-10-26, 07:35 AM
What kind of murder do you want?

I have Sarevok Anchev statted as a high-level Samurai. Heavy armor, greatsword, reasonably good socially, and with the ability to self-generate advantage to slice people up pretty fast.

Death clerics can give vulnerability to the next attack, and going cleric means it's "powers from a god."

Phantom rogue doesn't get first round crits like an assassin, but is very, very on-theme for a Bhaalite.

Arkhios
2023-10-26, 08:11 AM
Oath of Vengeance Paladin, maybe multiclassed with Arcane Trickster, can dish out crazy amounts of damage to a selected target. Just make sure you have at least 1 spell slot available to cast Hunter's Mark with, and you'll be good. If you have more, good. As to how to build one, I'd make sure to get spell slots at least up to 4th level. By level 12, you can't, unless you take a third class, such as Sorcerer, but you'll need to sacrifice two ASI's for that:

Paladin 6 (Oath, Extra attack, and Aura of Protection, +3 levels for spellcasting progress)
Arcane Trickster 3 (Archetype, Sneak Attack +2d6, +1 level for spellcasting progress)
Sorcerer 3 (+3 levels for spellcasting progress, Origin, Font of Magic, Metamagic)

A total of 7 levels in terms of spellcasting progress means you get your first (and only) 4th level spell slot, but you have just maxed out your smiting potential (+5d8 for a 4th level slot, +varying extra dice depending on the target's creature type), excluding improved smite. You can still get it though, if you don't take more than 2-3 levels at most in rogue or sorcerer combined. Apart from Ability Score increase, 4th level of rogue doesn't do you anything. Not even considering new spells, unless there's absolutely something you want from Wizard spell list not available from Sorcerer. I'd probably simply take Sorcerer to 6th level, and take the rest in Paladin bringing it to 11th level.

At 20th level, you'd be a Paladin 11/Sorcerer 6/Rogue 3:

Sneak Attack (+2d6 damage to one hit per turn; including possible opportunity attack)
Improved Divine Smite (+1d8 damage to all hits in a turn; including possible opportunity attack)
Spell slots as if you were a 12th level full-caster (up to 6th level spell slots or 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1)
Hunter's Mark (+1d6 damage to all hits in a turn; including possible opportunity attack, and duration up to 24 hours with just one 5th level or higher spell slot.

You're restricted to using finesse melee weapons, but you could always take the Dual Wielder feat and use two Rapiers, as silly as it sounds (or own it and play like you're some kind of dark musketeer; using a rapier and a dagger). Or you could use Shadow Blade in lieu of Dual Wielder and Hunter's Mark and deal even more insane amounts of damage with every hit with your main weapon).

Edit: on hindsight, I would use Shadow Blade as much as possible if my sole purpose was to deal ridiculous amount of murderous murdererererest murdered damage.

5-6th level Shadow Blade: 4d8 psychic damage, simple, one-handed, light, finesse (and thrown 20/60) melee weapon.
Improved Divine Smite: +1d8 radiant damage always on.
Divine Smites ranging from +2d8 to 5d8; +1d8 if the target is fiend or undead. (Reserved for critical hits, preferably)
Two attacks with Extra Attack.
Sneak Attack +2d6, once/turn.

At minimum, you're dishing out 5d8 + your Dex or Strength (your choice) damage, and at most (assuming critical hit, sneak attack, and 4th level smite): 20d8 + 4d6 + your Dex or Strength (your choice) damage.

On average, from 22,5 to 104 + your Dex or Strength (your choice) damage. For one critical hit. Using your Vow of Enmity Channel Divinity, you'll get sneak attack most likely every turn, regardless of your target's position in regards to your allies, as long as you can guarantee you don't get disadvantage from somewhere (which would negate the benefit of having advantage).

Bobthewizard
2023-10-26, 01:49 PM
I like straight vengeance paladin for this, swearing revenge on all enemies of Bhaal. Improved divine smite is a large increase in damage at level 11 and is worth skipping the multiclassing. I like pole arm master for a vengeance paladin, and then get STR to 20. Probably go spear and shield.

Fight the Greater Evil Enemy. Faced with a choice of fighting my sworn foes or combating a lesser evil threat, I choose the greater evil enemy.

No Mercy for the Wicked. Ordinary foes might win my mercy, but my sworn enemies do not. I will show no mercy to my prey.

By Any Means Necessary. My qualms can't get in the way of exterminating my foes.

Restitution Revenge. If my foes wreak ruin on the world, it is because I failed to stop them. I must help those harmed by their misdeeds. I will defeat the enemies of Bhaal and kill any that try to thwart him.

Skrum
2023-10-26, 08:24 PM
Paladin 2 Sorcerer 10

Key spells: misty step, vortex warp, thunder step, counterspell

Feats: GWM
Metamagic: twinned, quicken, subtle
Fighting Style: blind fighting

I used this build as a mage-killing assassin. Teleport around (you and your allies), and then hit with a "One Strike Kill" booming blade + GWM + smite. If the game you'll play in is very grindy, I wouldn't recommend this build as you'll burn through slots at a good clip, but most tables, this is an incredibly fun build. Super high mobility, crazy burst damage, and enough other picks to round out a strong list.

I played this build with only 14 Cha, so I avoided taking spells that offered a save. But I feel like it was that much more fun for it; I focused on the teleporting, defensive staples shield and silvery barbs, and then niche spells like fog cloud.

J-H
2023-10-27, 11:40 AM
The mention of teleporting reminded me of Shadow Monk. You can do a Shadow Monk multiclass and wear armor, and still have the teleport at 6th level and the Stunning Blow, if you want. Either way, it's compatible with weapons thanks to Dedicated Weapon, and you can silence an area, cloak it in darkness, teleport in darkness as a BA all day long, get advantage on your first attack after teleporting, and then stun your targets. It's a great infiltrator.

da newt
2023-10-27, 01:49 PM
A gloomstalker - fighter built around shadow blade. Any number of ways to get there but the goal is 3x attacks (fighter 11) w/ gloomstalker 3 extra attack on first round w/ action surge and Elvin Accuracy (and Alert). A first round of 8x attacks at triple ADV w/ shadow blade = most folks get murdered quick. Shadar Kai is a nice in theme race.