PDA

View Full Version : The territories of the pantheons

Bohandas
2023-10-27, 01:57 AM
Are we ever shown how the world is actually divided up between the three pantheons?

If not, would it make sense to assume that the territories form a three faced hosohedron with the vertices at the intersection of the equator with the prime meridian and at the intersection of the equator with (the equivalent of) the international date line?

So, for example, if the blue line on this diagram was the eastern half of the equator the colored regions would correspond to the pantheon of that color.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Trigonal_hosohedron.png

Does that make sense?

EDIT:
And/or would a four-sided hosohedron with a no-man's-land in the east be any more or any less more in keeping with the lore we've heard

EDIT:
Or is there some better way to divide up a sphere into equal north, south and west (or north, south, east, and west) portions that I've overlooked?

Errorname
2023-10-27, 02:14 AM
I don’t think we have a global map to begin divvying up in the first place.

I would assume it’s not evenly divided into clear hemispheres like that though. That might be how the division starts but we know the Clerics in this setting proselytize and convert people, and borders do not stay clean and neat in worlds where territory changes hands.

Tzardok
2023-10-27, 03:12 AM
My assumption has been that we have a large continent divided into a Northern half and a Southern half plus the smaller Western continent, which accords each Pantheon roughly the same amount of land.

Obviously, nobody cares about whatever lives underwater and what they worship. :smalltongue:

Do the aquatic hobgoblins even know that there's a dedicated goblinoid god around?

Laurentio III
2023-10-27, 04:52 AM
It's unnecessary to divide the world. Terrotories for gods are not about geography, but believers. Or at least, a major presence of believers. We know that clerics travels and still get spells, so gods are blasé about commuting.

Kish
2023-10-27, 05:39 AM
It's unnecessary to divide the world. Terrotories for gods are not about geography, but believers.
Considering the "we flew into the North, so praying to Adad about this storm just became pointless because the storm is Thor's" beginning of Utterly Dwarfed, I'm afraid I think that statement is insupportable.

ZhonLord
2023-10-27, 05:51 AM
Considering the "we flew into the North, so praying to Adad about this storm just because pointless because the storm is Thor's" beginning of Utterly Dwarfed, I'm afraid I think that statement is insupportable.

Not to mention Thor got yelled/growled at (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html) for helping Durkon in Cliffport, which is Southern Pantheon turf (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0352.html).

InvisibleBison
2023-10-27, 07:36 AM
I don't think it would make sense, from the gods' perspective, to divide up the world along such neat, geometric lines. Doing so would either lead to weird situations when the border between to pantheons' territories passed through settled areas, or constrain the gods to build continents so that that never happened. It would be far simpler and less constraining for them to create the world however they want, and then set things up so that each pantheon gets roughly one third of the world's worshipers. Bear in mind that the Northern/Southern/Eastern designations could well be specific to this world, and in previous worlds they used other methods of allocating who gets what territory, or even non-territorial methods of dividing up worshipers.

Synesthesy
2023-10-27, 03:12 PM
I think that it works exactly in this way - but with two difference:

1) I think that there is a piece of ocean bigger of the others, and this is where the eastern continent could have been. This also means that the world isn't symmetric.

2) The world is divided into region as in the first post - but as they are gods, and very burocratic gods, I think that they 'gerrymandered' the borders, so that they look a lot more difficult to understand, and mortals only know them roughly.

Grey Watcher
2023-10-28, 11:18 PM
Considering the "we flew into the North, so praying to Adad about this storm just became pointless because the storm is Thor's" beginning of Utterly Dwarfed, I'm afraid I think that statement is insupportable.

That could still possibly be about followers rather than geography directly. They've reached the point where they're closer to more Northern worshippers than Western at that point. I mean, a geographic line would be simpler, which is better for storytelling, but it's not a definitive refutation of the "proximity to worshippers" theory of how the world is divided.

Not to mention Thor got yelled/growled at (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html) for helping Durkon in Cliffport, which is Southern Pantheon turf (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0352.html).

I'd think Thor would be in bigger trouble if Cliffport was outside Northern turf. That's an example of the rules-bending gods can get away with when they're both within their domain AND their own region. But the other pantheons can still SEE what went on, so he still gets the reputation of flouting the rules, even if he didn't technically break them in the Cliffport.

Kish
2023-10-28, 11:38 PM
That could still possibly be about followers rather than geography directly. They've reached the point where they're closer to more Northern worshippers than Western at that point. I mean, a geographic line would be simpler, which is better for storytelling, but it's not a definitive refutation of the "proximity to worshippers" theory of how the world is divided.

Well, we're probably not in Western skies anymore.

I checked our course this morning--we were on pace to cross over about half an hour ago.
Right when the storm started. So if we're officially in the North now, this storm isn't Adad's work--it's Thor's. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0952.html)

That does not strike me as at all ambiguous that there is a specific and widely known geographic line. Which probably doesn't shift all that often, since Roy can just look it up.

Tubercular Ox
2023-10-29, 10:11 AM
I think if the Northerners and Southerners swapped continents in a mass migration the gods would eventually update their borders.

brian 333
2023-10-29, 10:24 PM
I think the borders are 4 dimensional rather than geographic. Imagine that Thor created reindeer, Marduk created camels, and Ox created cattle. Now draw family trees showing continuous connection back through the generations, and plot those family trees on a 3d globe. There may be general territorial dominance, but the reindeer that gets hauled to a Western zoo is still connected to the starter herd Thor created, and the cattle brought over to the west still connect to Ox.

RatElemental
2023-10-30, 12:24 AM

I'm not sure that guy who couldn't stop the storm was a cleric. He was making "the proper offerings" which sounds like some kind of situation where he's asking Adad for divine intervention directly. Clerical magic is strictly defined and regulated, and seems to work just fine in other regions. After all Durkon was able to cast healing magic in the west, and perhaps more pertinently was able to cast magic to undo the spells of a western cleric as well as attack him directly.

It seems to me more like that the gods can intercede directly within their domains and their regions,Thor allowing control weather to deal sonic damage while in the north, but not when working outside of their domains or regions, such as Thor not being allowed to grant Durkon increased movement speed while in the south despite him being bigger.

Tubercular Ox
2023-10-30, 08:40 AM
... Ox ... Ox.

There it is again! (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html)