PDA

View Full Version : Best AP?

Buufreak
2023-10-27, 02:29 PM
Tabletop games have been around a good long while now, and as such there have been plenty of long-length adventures published for the various systems. Which do you think is the best? Feel free to use any sort of logic or reasoning to justify your choice!

Atranen
2023-10-27, 03:49 PM
I recently purchased the OSR module "Deep Carbon Observatory". About 100 pages long, enough for many sessions. I haven't run it, but reading through it...it is one of the only mods I've read that works as literature, as a text that is enjoyable to sit down and read through. It's overflowing with ideas to use at the table, it explains just the right amount, without ever slowing down in too long descriptions.

Sons of Gruumsh is a 3.5 era classic, that I have run on a few occasions. It's a great 'set-piece' adventure, where the PCs have to sneak into a heavily armed orc fortress and recover some captives. Lots of things to do in the fortress, and enough guidance for the GM when things inevitably go sideways. Runs about 5 sessions.

RedMage125
2023-10-30, 12:19 AM
Age of Worms. Hands down.

Originally published in Dungeon Magazine (back when it was still in print), with supplements in the Dragon issues in those months.

It was a 3.5e Adventure Path that took players from level 1 to 20 (they actually start the last module at 20 and may get one epic level before the final battle). It's one, continuous storyline that starts in the small town of Diamon Lake, and ends with saving the world from the imminent release of a new demigod of undead, Kyuss.

It's also notable for being the first official product to stat out the OG dracolich, Dragotha.

Trask
2023-10-30, 04:10 PM
Its not 1-20 but I think Tomb of Annihilation is kind of awesome. I actually recommend dropping the ticking clock and just letting players explore, there is so much in it that book. And the final dungeon is one of the most fun dungeons I've ever done in an AP.

Khedrac
2023-10-31, 03:14 AM
Do the Age of Worms adventures provide enough experience to level the party all the way in themselves? Or is the DM expected to run other unrelated adventures between them to pad out the progression?

Telok
2023-10-31, 12:38 PM
Masks of Nyarlathotep is great. The Great Pendragon Campaign is awesome. Pirates of Drinax is pretty epic. They all do different things and have stood up very well over the years.

Vorpal Glaive
2023-11-01, 10:56 AM
Pathfinder's Wrath of the Righteous is pure excellence. It's a party of good characters battling demons, devils and those that support them. Very "Black and White" morality where the players don't have to question who or why they're fighting.

Anonymouswizard
2023-11-01, 11:48 AM
Do the Age of Worms adventures provide enough experience to level the party all the way in themselves? Or is the DM expected to run other unrelated adventures between them to pad out the progression?

It's Paizo's second adventure path, so I believe like the modern ones it's designed so each installment leaves you at the required level for the next. IIRC each installment just tells you the required level, so if you wanted to you could do it with milestone levelling at the start of each adventure.

Pathfinder's Wrath of the Righteous is pure excellence. It's a party of good characters battling demons, devils and those that support them. Very "Black and White" morality where the players don't have to question who or why they're fighting.

Isn't that also noted for being unusually easy? Not always a deal-breaker, but important to note. Plus with both and Kingmaker you have to contend with the fact that they were made into such good CRPGs players might already know the big twists.

...I hope Pathfinder 2e eventually updates the Mythic rules and makes them more like the video game version.

Atranen
2023-11-01, 04:33 PM
Age of Worms. Hands down.

Originally published in Dungeon Magazine (back when it was still in print), with supplements in the Dragon issues in those months.

It was a 3.5e Adventure Path that took players from level 1 to 20 (they actually start the last module at 20 and may get one epic level before the final battle). It's one, continuous storyline that starts in the small town of Diamon Lake, and ends with saving the world from the imminent release of a new demigod of undead, Kyuss.

It's also notable for being the first official product to stat out the OG dracolich, Dragotha.

Is this easily available now? Last I remember, you had to track down a dozen different magazines, which are in high demand and so not cheap...

Anonymouswizard
2023-11-01, 06:53 PM
Is this easily available now? Last I remember, you had to track down a dozen different magazines, which are in high demand and so not cheap...

You can get the pdfs at about $5 an issue from Paizo's website (https://paizo.com/store/books/dungeon/products/issues/ageOfWorms). Not as nice as a physical magazine, but a reasonable price for four adventures.

Reversefigure4
2023-11-01, 11:29 PM
You can get the pdfs at about $5 an issue from Paizo's website (https://paizo.com/store/books/dungeon/products/issues/ageOfWorms). Not as nice as a physical magazine, but a reasonable price for four adventures.

I did not know this. Nice, thanks.

Atranen
2023-11-02, 03:01 PM

cool :smallsmile: thanks!

Slipjig
2023-11-05, 08:42 AM
I clicked on the thread thinking it was going to be a discussion of the best Actual Play shows, and was prepared to write a dissertation...

Anonymouswizard
2023-11-05, 10:58 AM
I did not know this. Nice, thanks.

cool :smallsmile: thanks!

Can't vouch for the quality as I found out via Google, but at least it's an option.

I clicked on the thread thinking it was going to be a discussion of the best Actual Play shows, and was prepared to write a dissertation...

Thankfully no, almost every Actual Play I've seen has been in SEVERE need of editing.

RedMage125
2023-11-08, 02:29 PM
The adventures provide enough experience, but also note my response to the next person.

It's Paizo's second adventure path, so I believe like the modern ones it's designed so each installment leaves you at the required level for the next. IIRC each installment just tells you the required level, so if you wanted to you could do it with milestone levelling at the start of each adventure.
I don't recommend that, as several modules require more than one level up (the first one takes players from 1 to 3, for example).
HOWEVER, the xp is intended to be balanced against 4 players, but most feedback indicates that a party of 5 will have a better time. So what I did was divide XP by 4 and give that to all players in order to keep them on track, but I also added the WBL for one more player into the treasure that was found somewhere in each module.

So...it IS twelve modules, not 4. And the corresponding Dragon magazines have "Wormfood" articles that are helpful. I highly recommend them.

If anyone sends me a PM, I may be able to find one or more of some of the free to download resources that were available at the time (which I think are no longer available). Some are of varying use (like ways tonadapt AoW to FR or Eberron), others are incredibly useful.

Melayl
2023-11-08, 11:02 PM
Thankfully no, almost every Actual Play I've seen has been in SEVERE need of editing.

You need to listen to the Find the Path podcasts, then" (find-path.com).

By far, in my opinion, the very best Actual Play out there.