PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question on Defenestrating Sphere and some fun metamagic cheese

Gimli177
2023-11-02, 02:14 PM
(I copied the descriptions for some of the relevant feats/spells down below)

Hi everyone, I'm playing wizard for the first time and am trying to plan out my character. I am not playing the most optimized build but I want to be powerful and fun too. I'm making an incantrix wizard build that is going heavy on metamagic. I am considering taking arcane thesis for multiple spells. The three main spells I want to be my thing are Defenestrating sphere, Grim revenge, and Blindness/deafness. I already have some fun cheese planned out in the form of Ocular spell, split ray, chain spell for the other two (in a single round I can make all enemies go blind and have both their hands tear off and attack them as a full round action, throw on quickened true strike for bonus chaos at high level)

However I am trying to find some fun ways of using defenestrating sphere. My GF is running it as a first time DM and is really excited so I want to find ways of doing funny cheese that dont make it too broken as she wont have a great sense of what is balanced. Two ideas I have are the use of persistent spell and sculpt spell. Does sculpt spell allow me to modify the area from a 2ft radius sphere into 4 10 foot cubes? I think if it does I would still only be able to move a single one of them per round.

My other Idea that I dont think is quite intended is the use of persistent spell via incantrix metamagic effect feat. I just think this would be really funny to have a 24 hour mini sphere tornado follow me around like a little pet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the ideas I put above? Any suggestions on other feats or modifications I could do to make these spells more fun? Could I use control winds (storm domain wizard) to intensify the wind speed of my Defenestrating sphere? Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Defenestrating sphere:

"Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Effect: 2-ft.-radius sphere

Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

Spell Resistance: Yes

When you cast this spell, you create a violently swirling sphere of air. As a move action, you can make the sphere travel up to 30 ft. per round and strike a creature or object you indicate as a ranged touch attack. Any creature struck by the sphere takes 3d6 points of damage from the force of its winds. In addition, Medium or smaller creatures must succeed on a Fortitude save or be knocked prone. Creatures that fall prone must then succeed on a second Fortitude save or be swept up by the sphere and driven 1d8×10 feet into the air, dropping 1d6 squares from their original position in a random direction and taking falling damage as normal. If a window is within range, the subject is automatically thrown in that direction.

If some obstacle prevents the subject creature from reaching its expelled height, it takes 1d6 for every 10 feet of movement it was unable to complete, so that a creature hurled 50 feet up in a room with a 20-foot ceiling would take 3d6 points of damage from the impact, then take 2d6 points of damage when it falls back to the ground.

The sphere can affect a maximum of one creature or object per round, and winks out if it exceeds the spell's range."

Sculpt spell:

You can modify a an area spell by changing the area's shape. The new area must be chosen from the following list: cylinder (10-foot radius, 30 feet high), 40-foot cone, four 10-foot cubes, or a ball (20-foot-radius spread). The sculpted spell works normally in all respects except for its shape. For example, a lightning bolt spell whose area is changed to a ball deals the same amount of damage, but the lightning ball affects a 20-foot-radius spread. A sculpted spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level

Persistent spell:

"A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You need not concentrate on spells such as detect magic or detect thoughts to be aware of the mere presence or absence of the things detected, but you must still concentrate to gain additional information as normal. Concentration on such a spell is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level."

Grim revenge (this spell is hilarious)

Components: V, S, Undead

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Target: One living humanoid

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

Spell Resistance: Yes

The hand of the subject tears itself away from one of his arms, leaving a bloody stump. This trauma deals 6d6 points of damage. Then the hand, animated and floating in the air, begins to attack the subject. The hand attacks as if it were a wight (see the Monster Manual) in terms of its statistics, special attacks, and special qualities, except that it is considered Tiny and gains a +4 bonus to AC and a +4 bonus on attack rolls. The hand can be turned or rebuked as a wight. If the hand is defeated, only a regenerate spell can restore the victim to normal.

Khedrac
2023-11-03, 03:35 AM
Persistent spell is out - neither spell listed has a "fixed" range - this is usually taken to mean one expressed as a non-variable distance (arguments abound as to whether "touch" counts), "Medium" which equals 100' + 10' per level is not fixed so medium range spells cannot be persisted.

Sculpt spell is also not a go - "Area" spells have an entry in the spell descriptors for "Area" - whilst persistent spell has an area of effect the spell property is "Effect" not "Area" so there is no "Area" property to sculpt.