PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Oriental Adventures Shaman Question

Rokugani_Minion
2023-11-04, 07:56 AM
Question: Does a Level 3 Shaman (OA Pg 23, 87) with Healing domain have access to Cure Serious Wounds?

Please explain using 3.5 SRD, Why, or why not?

Thanks much :smallsmile:

Beni-Kujaku
2023-11-04, 08:07 AM
Why would it have access to CSW? It's a 3rd level spell and a level 3 shaman only has 2nd level spell slots.
Do note that the healing domain is generally useless for Good-aligned shamans since they can already convert their spells into healing spells. That said, the conversion method doesn't allow to cast a spell of a level higher than your highest-level slot, so your level 3 shaman would still not have access to Cure Serious Wound.

Biggus
2023-11-04, 08:19 AM
Why would it have access to CSW?

This was the question that came to my mind. I also can't see any reason to think a 3rd-level Shaman would have access to a 3rd-level spell.

@OP: what was your reason for thinking they might do?

Rokugani_Minion
2023-11-04, 09:04 AM
@OP: what was your reason for thinking they might do?

Thanks @Beni-Kujaku and @Biggus.

One of my Players thought I was nerfing his Shaman PC & was not satisfied with my explanation.

All good.

Rokugani_Minion
2023-11-04, 09:07 AM
Do note that the healing domain is generally useless for Good-aligned shamans since they can already convert their spells into healing spells. That said, the conversion method doesn't allow to cast a spell of a level higher than your highest-level slot, so your level 3 shaman would still not have access to Cure Serious Wound.

Thanks for this advice, I'll be certain to pass it on next session of gaming goodness.

Cygnia
2023-11-04, 09:47 AM
Do note that the healing domain is generally useless for Good-aligned shamans since they can already convert their spells into healing spells.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing with my Shaman currently (Nature/Knowledge are her Domains)

nick_crenshaw
2023-11-04, 03:08 PM
Do note that the healing domain is generally useless for Good-aligned shamans since they can already convert their spells into healing spells.

Not if you burn a feat slot and take Customize Domain from Dragon #325.

Inevitability
2023-11-04, 03:09 PM
Might the player be confused between a third-level character and third-level spells? Because if so, it's probably a good idea to explain the difference so this doesn't keep happening.

animewatcha
2023-11-05, 12:53 AM
Not if you burn a feat slot and take Customize Domain from Dragon #325.

Interestingly, CSW is a level 2 spell for Runescarred berzerker. So Customize Domain could (if dragon mag is allowed) could place CSW in level 2 slot.

-edit- apparently Heal as a 5th level spell.

Rokugani_Minion
2023-11-05, 04:30 AM
Might the player be confused between a third-level character and third-level spells? Because if so, it's probably a good idea to explain the difference so this doesn't keep happening.

Yeah, that's what happened and good now. Incidently, we had a great game today. A Crane Duelist, two Scorpion Rogues, Unicorn Inkyo (Sumo), and a Dragon Niten Samurai mixing it up vs Lion samurai and Scorpion "samurai" in the Mantis lands. Met some kappa, made some new friends and finished a mini quest to level up to 4th.

Thanks all here for the helpful comments.