PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create Invisible Tigers (from the Tigers' Nest in the Horde book, pg 106)

schreier
2023-11-04, 05:22 PM
The 2nd edition book says:

There are only five Invisible Tigers remaining. These priests now live a shadowlike existence. Their physical bodies have dwindled away to nothing, leaving only a ghostly outline of their form. They are incorporeal and completely silent. Each has the spell casting ability of an 18th level cleric. Each possesses 12 hit dice and can only be struck by magical weapons of +3 potency or greater. They hit any target as if it were AC 10. They cause no damage, but their touch causes fear. A saving throw will negate this.

In general, the Invisible Tigers do not become directly involved in any conflict. Their existence requires great concentration and in combat there is a risk of suddenly disappearing forever. Instead the invisible Tigers advise, counsel, or warn those fighting for the cause of good.

The Invisible Tigers see the Raja of Solon as their greatest enemy. However, because of his nature and power, there is little they can do against him directly, nor do they know how to defeat him.

What would you do to create them? Spectral Harpist seems close?

TristanS
2023-11-04, 08:35 PM
I would think it's pretty straight forward - use the ghost template https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm and put it on the humanoid. Your idea about the Spectral Harpist seems close thematically.

The Spectral Harpists are ghosts with deathsong and also get spell resistance, magical radiance and immunity to cold/electricity. Deathsong/radiance and the immunities don't make a lot of sense necessarily although all but deathsong could work.

I would add the silence criteria, where they can't speak or make noise I would think to reflect that, but otherwise, I would just do:

lvl 18 priest, ghost template, add magic resistance and add that they lose the ability to speak/make noise?

schreier
2023-11-04, 09:10 PM
I looked more, was trying to find more about the undying in Eberron and was reminded of the deathless in BoED.

Sacred watcher seems almost perfect, just modify ward maybe?

Bullet06320
2023-11-04, 11:20 PM
clerics with ghost template and vow of poverty and vow of silence, add silent spell so they can still cast

schreier
2023-11-05, 09:55 AM
Love the vows - that's awesome! I'll probably do the sacred watcher template instead since the ghost has some powers that don't make sense (corrupting gaze/touch, frightful moan, horrific appearance)... The vows clean up the speaking nicely and open the door to the saint template too!

Doh, no vow of silence feat

Bullet06320
2023-11-05, 04:16 PM
Doh, no vow of silence feat

i seemed to have missed that, i just kinda figured there was one

altho i did find a pathfinder one
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/monk-vows/vow-of-silence/

and this thread that might help to homebrew an appropriate solution
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?338855-Vow-of-Silence-what-should-the-benefit-be