PDA

View Full Version : UA 7 & 8: Agonizing Blast + True Strike?

BerzerkerUnit
2023-11-05, 08:14 PM
So I'm looking at these two things and wondering if there's a low level chocolate and peanut butter combo here.

Level 1 Warlock UA7 gets cantrips and 1 invocation.

Agonizing Blast says it adds its damage to one of your warlock cantrips that deals damage.

New True Strike says you make an attack guided by magical insight, but the cantrip lets you make the damage radiant and adds damage at level 5+.

Now I'm inclined to think that counts.

1. It's a Warlock Cantrip

2. even though the cantrip affords you an attack with a weapon that deals the damage, it allows the damage type to be radiant and adds damage at level 5+.

So Agonizing Blast should stack. This is not broken by any stretch. Even at level 1 it brings a warlock up to rogue norms with a crossbow? a little less even since the rogue is averaging 3.5 for the sneak die and the lock is probably topping out at +3 from rizz. It gets a little more interesting at level 2 when you can swap in a great sword or heavy crossbow etc by using Pact of the Blade. Now Pact of the Blade could have come in at 1st for the charisma attack, but with a 16 dex for AC anyway, there's no statistical difference, but it would have denied you the 1st level synergy with Agonizing Blast and True Strike on your attacks...

This is the kind of fun little thing that gets me through levels 1-3 which I always find a painful slog toward character identity. Thanks for tuning in. Feedback always appreciated.

Biggus
2023-11-06, 12:51 AM
What does UA mean in this context? Normally it means Unearthed Arcana on these boards but I get the feeling that's not what you're talking about here...

Yakk
2023-11-06, 10:31 AM
I think they are talking about the D&D One playtest stuff.

BerzerkerUnit
2023-11-06, 03:51 PM
I think they are talking about the D&D One playtest stuff.

That is correct.

Deepbluediver
2023-11-06, 09:44 PM
This is the kind of fun little thing that gets me through levels 1-3 which I always find a painful slog toward character identity.
Not really related but I just had to chime in and say "yes", here. In my homebrewed setting I start out all adult humanoids at 3 HD (be it 3 class levels or 3 RHD or whatever) and it just feels like it gets you to the fun bits of the game so much faster.
And also addresses issues like a common housecat being a lethal threat to the average peasant :)

JNAProductions
2023-11-07, 12:40 AM
And also addresses issues like a common housecat being a lethal threat to the average peasant :)

That's not really an issue in 5E.
You need 4 cat hits to kill a Commoner, with +0 to-hit against AC 10.
Commoner needs to deal 2 damage with a 1d4 weapon, so one hit 75% of the time and two hits 25% of the time. +2 to-hit against AC 12.

Giving the cat the initiative since it does have a better Dexterity, it needs four turns minimum, average of about six turns to kill a Commoner.
Commoner needs one or two.

It's still kinda silly (a cat should need more than that to kill an average adult) but it's not like 3E, where a Commoner had 2 HP if their first HD wasn't maximized and the cat had three attacks in a turn.

BerzerkerUnit
2023-11-07, 02:27 AM
That's not really an issue in 5E.
You need 4 cat hits to kill a Commoner, with +0 to-hit against AC 10.
Commoner needs to deal 2 damage with a 1d4 weapon, so one hit 75% of the time and two hits 25% of the time. +2 to-hit against AC 12.

Giving the cat the initiative since it does have a better Dexterity, it needs four turns minimum, average of about six turns to kill a Commoner.
Commoner needs one or two.

It's still kinda silly (a cat should need more than that to kill an average adult) but it's not like 3E, where a Commoner had 2 HP if their first HD wasn't maximized and the cat had three attacks in a turn.

I prefer to think of the cat doing things like jumping on their face causing them to stumble down a flight of stairs or into the path of an oncoming cart. But unless a Druid is casting Dominate Beast or you're going after their kittens, most cats will just run away.

I also don't call for damage calculations unless I intend PC death to be on the line, it communicates to the PCs what's a serious or winnable fight.

Amechra
2023-11-07, 02:38 AM
Any particular reason that this is in Homebrew and not the 5e forum? This feels more like a rule interpretation thing IMO.

(I'd personally let this work if I was DMing for your table.)

BerzerkerUnit
2023-11-09, 01:20 AM
Any particular reason that this is in Homebrew and not the 5e forum? This feels more like a rule interpretation thing IMO.

(I'd personally let this work if I was DMing for your table.)

It could be moved though I am using a 3rd party patron, though I don't think it will be relevant to the discussion. which I think is complete anyway.