PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Grenadier: Thrown Weapon Artificer

sandmote
2023-11-06, 09:36 PM
This page on the homebrewery. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/6_QBa5wHfldG)

I started making a thrown weapon fighter, and then remembered I had this on the back burner. I'd written a bunch of alchemical items here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?637535-Additional-Alchemical-Items&p=25232732), including fireworks. That got me wanting to add a subclass specializing in such materials. For dangerous to craft items the artificer seemed a natural fit, and I ended up with the following. The subclass doesn't get much in terms of defense, but it doesn't need to get into melee, and can probably focus somewhat on defensive infusions to make up that shortfall. The following is information for the creation of fireworks using tinker’s tools.

Item Cost Weight Craft DC
Firework 12 gp 2 lb 10
Firework Combination 30 gp 3 lb 15

Firework. A firework is a self propelled device of paper and powder, which release light and smoke. Fireworks come in red, orange, yellow, green, or blue. Most fireworks rise 120 feet into the air per round, expiring after 1 round and are audible to a distance of 600 feet.

Three main forms of fireworks exist:

Round shells release a burst of sparks in a 20 foot radius when they expire.
Tailed shells release a column of bright light as they rise, ending when they expire.
Salute shells release no light and have no color, but are audible to distance of 1200 feet when they expire.

Firework Combinations. Combined fireworks are harder and more expensive to craft, but can combine the effects of two fireworks type, or create a firework of a single type that burns in two colors. Combining red and blue fireworks of the same type allows the creation of purple fireworks.

I think my main notes are that because thrown weapons are somewhat weak overall I've ended up with a significant amount of small extra effects to help the subclass get some flexibility out of its equipment. As examples, the tool proficiency artificers get also adds advantage on checks related to explosives, extra attack lets you draw a weapon with each throw, and there's a feature for setting a fire pot like a bomb that's a lot of text of what is probably a minor effect.

Fluff
Where artillerists are experts in attacking at range and alchemists train to create a wide variety of alchemical effects, the grenadier is focused on the power of explosive powder. Effective sappers, grenadiers bring the blast to the battlefield and against fortifications.

Tool Proficiency
When you adopt this specialization at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with potter’s tools. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan’s tools of your choice.

Additionally, you have advantage on any skill checks made to set, defuse, identify, or craft explosives.

Grenadier Spells
Starting at 3rd level, you always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown in the Grenadier Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, but they don’t count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

Grenadier Spells
Grenadier Level Grenadier Spells
3rd Burning Hands, Zephyr Strike
5th Shatter, Pyrotechnics
9th Ashardalon’s Stride, Erupting Earth
13th Stone Shape, Conjure Minor Elementals
17th Destructive Wave, Passwall

Explosive Crafter
At 3rd level, you learn to make use of fire pots, pummeling your enemies with a powerful impact and covering them in burning flame in a single toss. You gain proficiency with the fire pot. A fire pot is an exotic weapon which deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage on a hit and has the versatile (1d10) and ranged (20/60) properties. You can craft a fire pot in 10 minutes using 5 sp worth of clay, rope, and a burning mix of your own design.

When you hit another creature with a fire pot, the item is destroyed and the creature becomes covered in a sticky burning mix of your own design. The creature takes 1d4 magical fire damage at the end of each its turns for 1 minute or until a creature that can reach the target puts out the fire as an action.

A creature lacking this feature can use a fire pot only as an improvised weapon and lacks the specialized training to make it cover a target in your burning mix.

Explosive Mix
Beginning at 3rd level you can set fire pots as delayed explosives. As a special attack, you can set a fire pot in an adjacent square. At the start of your next turn, the set fire pot explodes. Each creature and object within 5 feet of the fire pot’s square must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. A target takes 1d8 bludgeoning damage and 1d4 magical fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a success.

You can keep a set fire pot within 5 feet from exploding with a special attack as an action, but creatures which lack this feature must make a Sleight of Hand (Intelligence) check against your Spell save DC to keep a fire pot from exploding.

Vicious Mix
By 9th level, your experimentation with explosive devices has lead you to develop a particularly nasty mix of burning goops and powders. You gain the following benefits:

Fire pots you craft gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance.
The fire damage dealt to a creature by the burning mix increases to 2d4. Each time a creature takes an action to put out the fire, it is reduced by 1d4. When the fire would be reduced below 1d4 damage, the fire is put out.
When you hit a creature with a fire pot, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of you until the start of your next turn.

Sapper’s Explosive
At 15th level, you learn the delayed fireball spell. You can cast the spell without requiring a spell slot twice, and regain the ability to do so at the end of a long rest. When you cast the spell in this manner, it has a range of 30 feet and deals an additional 3d6 bludgeoning damage when the bead explodes.