PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper in DnD

eBarbarossa
2023-11-07, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone, were there ever any third party products to bring Dungeon Keeper into DnD? Or maybe Dragon Magazine articles?

Pugwampy
2023-11-08, 05:33 AM
The 20 year old game made by Bullfrog Studios ?

eBarbarossa
2023-11-08, 07:15 AM
The 20 year old game made by Bullfrog Studios ?

Exactly that one. I enjoyed several books where older computer games were brought into DnD, like Diablo or WoW and I enjoyed Dungeon Keeper back in the day.

AnonJr
2023-11-08, 07:59 AM
Huh. For some reason I thought you were referring to the Crypt-Keeper (Tales from the Cryptkeeper, TV) by another name, and wanted an intelligent undead skeletal narrator.

https://assets.bigcartel.com/product_images/273256622/bigcartelmarkCK.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=400&w=400

eBarbarossa
2023-11-08, 09:56 AM
Huh. For some reason I thought you were referring to the Crypt-Keeper (Tales from the Cryptkeeper, TV) by another name, and wanted an intelligent undead skeletal narrator.

https://assets.bigcartel.com/product_images/273256622/bigcartelmarkCK.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&h=400&w=400

Perfect Lich, that guy! But no, not what I meant.

KillianHawkeye
2023-11-09, 03:01 AM
I really don't think that the Dungeon Keeper games were successful or popular enough to get the D&D tie-in treatment. While fun, they were certainly an order of magnitude smaller than the like of Diablo and Warcraft.

Also, putting the player in charge of the dungeon is sort of the reverse of what normally happens in D&D, which would make such an endeavor all the more complicated.

Satinavian
2023-11-09, 03:06 AM
I think there have been some reverse dungeon modules in the past, but no explicit Dungeon Keeper tie in.

ShurikVch
2023-11-09, 03:52 AM
How about the Dungeon Lord PrC (Dungeonscape)?

Pugwampy
2023-11-09, 06:50 AM
That game was a Computer DND game you can make up your own rules ez pz

eBarbarossa
2023-11-09, 11:28 AM
Hmm okay, so probably not an entire book about it. What about Dragon Magazine articles featuring at least some of the monsters or spells?

And yes I know I can make up pretty much anything I like, but I'm a sucker for these kind of crossover articles/books.

Tzardok
2023-11-09, 01:24 PM
I just looked into the index of Dragon Magazine articles and couldn't find it.

Gusmo
2023-11-09, 02:18 PM
If this existed, I probably would have seen it in a Dungeon Keeper community at some point over the years. If the Keeper Klan forums are still around, that might be a good place to ask. There's also a Discord server for KeeperFX, a long running mod that fixes a number of bugs in the Dungeon Keeper 1 and helps it run on new PCs.

Endarire
2023-11-09, 09:09 PM
The concept of Dungeon Keeper is sorta D&D already, except you probably aren't playing competitively against your GM.

However, party vs. party or multi GM events may emulate this well enough.

Jack_Simth
2023-11-11, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone, were there ever any third party products to bring Dungeon Keeper into DnD? Or maybe Dragon Magazine articles?

None that I know of, but there's a numberof spells that let you carve out a zone of rock and populate it with creatures that do your bidding for a time.

Disintegrate to dig.
Wall of Stone to build up.
Illusory Wall to decorate.
Stone Shape and Fabricate for doors.
Arcane Lock to restrict access.
Planar Binding (or Animate Dead) for minions.
Fabricate for mechanical traps.
... and so on.

You can also do things the long way, of course.

Pinkie Pyro
2023-11-11, 07:28 PM
Step 1: use stronghold builders guide to build your dungeon

Step 2: figure out how to appropriately cost creatures you're adding (good luck)

Step 3: realise you're just a dungeon master now

Step 4: torment your players

Feantar
2023-11-12, 02:24 AM
You might want to ask at the steam page of War for the Overworld too, as it is Dungeon Keepers spiritual successor.

Psyren
2023-11-14, 11:23 PM
Step 1: use stronghold builders guide to build your dungeon

Step 2: figure out how to appropriately cost creatures you're adding (good luck)

Step 3: realise you're just a dungeon master now

Step 4: torment your players

This was honestly my thought as well. The way to play Dungeon Keeper in D&D is called "being the DM." Maybe with the players running a bunch of pre-gens of escalating power/difficulty into your meat grinder until they either run out, or your walls get stripped of everything of value.

eBarbarossa
2023-11-15, 10:47 AM
Ah, to clarify that a bit:
I don't want to play as the Dungeon Keeper, I am looking for statblocks, spells, items from dungeonkeeper, to bring into our games. I like those articles and books that bring computer games stuff into the d20 ruleset.