PDA

View Full Version : Would the Hunting Enchantment from MIC stack?

GuestEleven
2023-11-08, 01:19 PM
I was just thinking if I put the hunting enchantment on some armor spikes and armor razors they may stack. It is an untyped bonus and wouldn't they be from seperate sources technically?

Auerkan
2023-11-08, 01:37 PM
While not strictly defined RAW, I think Hunting weapon bonus is meant to only apply with that weapon. But if we argue wording, Defending stacking on 8 hidden blades(a pair of each of 4 from Complete Scoundrel) is about same degree of legality.

GuestEleven
2023-11-08, 01:44 PM
While not strictly defined RAW, I think Hunting weapon bonus is meant to only apply with that weapon. But if we argue wording, Defending stacking on 8 hidden blades(a pair of each of 4 from Complete Scoundrel) is about same degree of legality.

I get what you're saying somewhat but I'm pretty sure you have to be actively using a weapon for it to grant you the bonus to AC. Not to mention that is an enhancement bonus and multiple enhancement bonuses to AC wouldn't stack.

Edit: What I'm trying to say isn't whether I think you should have to be wielding a weapon to gain the hunting benefit, our table has decided you don't. The question I'm trying to get answered is if the bonus would stack if you had it on multiple weapons.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2023-11-08, 04:05 PM
Regardless of whether it's an untyped bonus, the RAW is clear. Multiple bonuses to the same thing from the same source will never stack. So a +4 untyped bonus from a Hunting weapon won't stack with a +4 untyped bonus from another Hunting weapon, since both use the same source for that bonus.

Chronos
2023-11-08, 04:18 PM
The way I think of "untyped bonuses" is that each has a bonus with a "type" given by its name. So for instance, a hunting weapon effectively gives a bonus of type "hunting weapon". Two different hunting weapons would each give the "hunting weapon" bonus type, so they don't stack.

Zanos
2023-11-08, 04:26 PM
If two instances of the same spell count as the "same" source, I'm going to say that two copies of the same enchantment count as the "same" source.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2023-11-08, 04:29 PM
The way I think of "untyped bonuses" is that each has a bonus with a "type" given by its name. So for instance, a hunting weapon effectively gives a bonus of type "hunting weapon". Two different hunting weapons would each give the "hunting weapon" bonus type, so they don't stack.

Bonus types are "enhancement" or "luck" or "insight" as explained on DMG page 21.

The source of a bonus is where the bonus comes from - a spell, a feat, a magic item, a class feature, etc.

If you have two classes that grant an ability named Fast Movement, and both abilities grant an untyped bonus to your speed, those won't stack because both are from an ability of the same name, even if they're from different classes. Same as a multiclass Monk/Swordsage not being able to stack the AC Bonus class feature, because even though each class's AC Bonus works a little different, they were intentionally named the same so that they wouldn't stack as they're the same (named) source.

Darg
2023-11-08, 10:40 PM
If two instances of the same spell count as the "same" source, I'm going to say that two copies of the same enchantment count as the "same" source.

Special abilities fall under the same source rule. Hunting is a weapon special ability even if the MIC calls them special properties instead.

Buufreak
2023-11-08, 11:16 PM
Bonus types are "enhancement" or "luck" or "insight" as explained on DMG page 21.

Just to be clear, this is a list of examples, not an exhaustive list. There are dozens of types of bonuses that are listed, but not all may apply to all stats (such as ability score, bonus to hit, AC, etc).

Auerkan
2023-11-09, 06:06 AM
Not to mention that is an enhancement bonus and multiple enhancement bonuses to AC wouldn't stack.

Ah, but that's untrue, isn't it? You can have padded enchanted by Magic Vestment, +5 buckler and receive casting of barkskin, and have (1+5)+(1+5)+(0+5) =17 AC despite having 3 instances of +5 enhancement in it.

And Defending specifically says "stacks with all others", and needing to use it is PF exclusive.

Inevitability
2023-11-09, 07:33 AM
Ah, but that's untrue, isn't it? You can have padded enchanted by Magic Vestment, +5 buckler and receive casting of barkskin, and have (1+5)+(1+5)+(0+5) =17 AC despite having 3 instances of +5 enhancement in it.

The funny thing is that that's not multiple enchantment bonuses to AC; it's three enhancement bonuses added to 'Armor bonus to AC', 'Shield bonus to AC' and 'Natural armor bonus to AC'. It's a bonus to a bonus; the AC itself only receives an armor bonus, shield bonus, and natural armor bonus. That means that theoretically if there was a source of 'enhancement bonus to AC' that would stack as well.

Darg
2023-11-09, 10:02 AM
The funny thing is that that's not multiple enchantment bonuses to AC; it's three enhancement bonuses added to 'Armor bonus to AC', 'Shield bonus to AC' and 'Natural armor bonus to AC'. It's a bonus to a bonus; the AC itself only receives an armor bonus, shield bonus, and natural armor bonus. That means that theoretically if there was a source of 'enhancement bonus to AC' that would stack as well.

Which is why the weird wording of the thicken skin power is so divisive even if it's obviously not supposed to be that way.