PDA

View Full Version : An NPC: the professional henchman

Quixotic1
2023-11-09, 02:58 PM
Some basic info: the setting is very wacky, light-hearted and goofy. The three characters are a robot from a spaceship that crash-landed on this world, a Jersey Shore-esque bro who gained arcane powers when he tried to do a keg-stand with pure mana and a knight errant who happens to be a pond's worth of frogs fused together into the rough shape of a humanoid. They're all level 3.
They will be breaking into the adventuring business in Dungeontown--one part sprawling, labyrinthine underground complex, one part tourist trap.

Since there are only three of them, I figured I'd include a hireling NPC to hold torches, carry gear and help out here and there. And drop a little exposition and offer hints if needed; this game actually has a lot of political intrigue and stuff, but it's framed like a generic dungeon-crawl in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

I bought ability score, assigned racial traits and slapped on some class features and equipment. He is built to be easy to run and helpful to have around, not to do much on his own.
I am also not overly worried about precise language or every little potential for abuse; I'm fine adjudicating in the moment and leaving things open to interpretation, as are my players.

This little guy has five key elements:

1. He is unaffected by encumbrance due to equipment weight.

2. The Archery fighting style and a combination crossbow-slingshot-tiny catapult that is his primary weapon and also shoots potions.

3. Cunning Action, as the rogue feature of the same name.

4. A sticky hand, like the ones you get in those quarters vending machines, only really big. It lets him take the Help action from up to 20ft away.

5. Encourage, an ability that allows him to add +1d4 to an ally's next d20 roll as an action (sort of a cross between the Guidance cantrip and the Bard's Inspire feature. Action to use, range of 20ft, no specific time limit but you can only have one on someone at a time)

He had less points to buy his ability scores than the PCs (I believe he's rocking 11, 14, 15, 8, 12, 11) and his racial traits are all just static bonuses, nothing conditional or expendable.

I'm mostly curious what people might think about his set-up and if it feels useless, way too crazy-good, etc., and what they'd add, drop or change.
I am a little concerned that he's funny and engaging enough to take too much of the spotlight from the PCs, but I need him to fit in, and I feel like this problem would be even more of an issue if he was filling the role of straight man, the Abbott to the PCs' collective Costellos.

Sigreid
2023-11-09, 03:04 PM
Sounds like Nodwick from the old comic. Should be fun.

JackPhoenix
2023-11-09, 05:10 PM
So, an Expert Sidekick with fighting style?

da newt
2023-11-09, 05:31 PM
Sounds fine to me - it's a 3rd level mastermind rogue (minus sneak attack) w/ magic initiate cleric for guidance and a FS. Handy to have around, but nothing OP at all.

Quixotic1
2023-11-09, 07:08 PM
Sounds like Nodwick from the old comic. Should be fun. That was some of the inspiration, for sure! He's a small hunchback with a huge backpack.
He is also a part-time DJ and has a portable mixer/deck/turntable setup, so he'll give each of his employers a theme song.

So, an Expert Sidekick with fighting style?Maybe! I haven't read nearly as much of the 5e content as I did in previous editions.

Sounds fine to me - it's a 3rd level mastermind rogue (minus sneak attack) w/ magic initiate cleric for guidance and a FS. Handy to have around, but nothing OP at all.Good to hear! That's exactly what I was going for.

Luccan
2023-11-09, 07:23 PM
Looks absolutely fine to me. Very helpful NPC to have around, but he's not gonna steal glory in a fight or make things too easy. Question, if he's providing some background info, is he a park employee? Like, the dungeon's lore is part of the experience and someone has to be there to explain it?

JackPhoenix
2023-11-09, 09:27 PM
Maybe! I haven't read nearly as much of the 5e content as I did in previous editions.

Sidekick rules can be found in various adventures and in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. The Expert variant seems remarkably similar to your idea: While it does not get fighting style, it's got Cunning Action, ability to take Help action from up to 30' away (and as a bonus action), and it can give extra damage or d6 to an ally's d20 roll when it uses Help action. Otherwise, it's pretty much a rogue without Sneak Attack.

Quixotic1
2023-11-09, 10:41 PM
Looks absolutely fine to me. Very helpful NPC to have around, but he's not gonna steal glory in a fight or make things too easy. Question, if he's providing some background info, is he a park employee? Like, the dungeon's lore is part of the experience and someone has to be there to explain it?He's more like a sherpa or...like, someone who hangs around a hardware store, waiting for a job. He'll approach anyone in the tavern who says they're on their way to Dungeontown. He's had a little experience down there, but nothing especially noteworthy.

Sidekick rules can be found in various adventures and in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. The Expert variant seems remarkably similar to your idea: While it does not get fighting style, it's got Cunning Action, ability to take Help action from up to 30' away (and as a bonus action), and it can give extra damage or d6 to an ally's d20 roll when it uses Help action. Otherwise, it's pretty much a rogue without Sneak Attack.Oh okay, I see. The fighting style was honestly sort of an add-on, too. There's a cleric with a tool for every problem, a sorcerer who will specialize in battlefield control and a fighter who's all about being mobile and limiting enemy mobility--I figured a little boost to his damage output would help them. But it's definitely the least important part of the concept.

It's always cool to see published content that is similar to homrbrew; I just can't with all the supplements anymore. 3rd edition burned me out. But I feel comfortable enough with the d20 system to make whatever I need these days.