PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class True Dwarf: Now with a Longer Beard and a Bigger Drinking Problem! [Prestige Class]

Metastachydium
2023-11-10, 05:31 AM
Ever had the feeling your Dwarves are not stereotypical enough? That they aren't good enough at drinking? Or churning out magic items of magic? Does the Dwarf ParagonUA disappoint you in addressing that issue? Would you like to build on it regardless? If your answer to all these questions is, for some reason, yes, and you'd, for some reason, really rather remedy things through class levels, look now further! All you need is the

True Dwarf
Hit Die: d12.

Requirements
To qualify to become a true dwarf, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race
Dwarf.

Base Attack Bonus
+4.

Saves
Base Fortitude bonus +4.

Skills
Craft (armoursmithing) 5 ranks or Craft (weaponsmithing) 6 ranks.

Special
Must have the Craft Expertise class feature and a beard.

Class Skills
The true dwarf’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Craft (any four)(Int), Disable Device (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis) and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The True Dwarf

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialClass Features
1st+1+2+0+2Iron liver, ability boost (Con +2)–
2nd+2+3+0+3Dwarven Armour Proficiency+1 level of existing class features
3rd+3+3+1+3Improved Weapon Familiarity+1 level of existing class features
4th+4+4+1+4Forgemaster, ability boost (Con +2)–

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the true dwarf.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
True dwarves are proficient with all simple and martial melee weapons. True dwarves are proficient with light, medium and heavy armour, and all shields.

Class Features
A true dwarf is a stubborn creature of habit, slow to change a vocation once it's chosen. At level 1 and 3, he gains class features (including spellcasting ability) and an increase in effective level as if he had also gained a level in a class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain the benefit of his previous class's Hit Dice, attack progression, skill points, or saving throws. If he had more than one class before becoming a true dwarf, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining class features.

Iron Liver (Ex)
At level 1, a true dwarf's racial bonus to Fortitude saving throws against poison increases by an amount equal to his Constitution modifier; the same bonus also applies to Fortitude saves he attempts against effects that would render the true dwarf sickened or nauseated. He rolls all such Fortitude saves twice and takes the better result.1

Dwarven Armour Proficiency
At level 2, a true dwarf gains Dwarven Armour Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Ability Boost (Ex)
The Constitution score of a 2th level true wwarf increases by 2 points. At level 4, his Constitution increases again, by 2 points.

Improved Weapon Familiarity
At level 3, a true dwarf gains Improved Weapon Familiarity as a bonus feat.

Forgemaster (Su)
A 4th level true dwarf is forever thereafter treated as having the Craft Magic Arms and Armour feat, even if he doe not meet the prerequisites. He can substitute a Craft (armoursmithing) or Craft (weaponsmithing) check, as appropriate, for a spell required to create magic weapons or armour. The DC is equal to 25+the level of the spell.

1No immunity, of course. That would defeat the purpose of drinking. And we can't have that.
Also 1Yes, the two rolls mean there's two livers.

Morphic tide
2023-11-10, 09:00 AM
+4 BAB and Fort means you need a level of something after Dwarf Paragon to take this. Improved Weapon Familiarity honestly feels like it shouldn't exist in the first place, but I guess it fits? The 8 RHD LA +4 Midgard Dwarf's Master Smith quality also covers Wondrous Items and Rings, without needing an extra check. And as an Extraordinary ability rather than Supernatural.

What do you expect to actively do as a True Dwarf before 8th level gives you magic items? Because it looks like it's stuck as a much worse Fighter or Barbarian with a big Craft check in that case. Stacking such like crazy is a fun meme and all, but there's no outlet for the massive seven levels out of eight commitment for "Full Dwarf". Using that one intermediate level for the Legacy Champion clause would at least give you Fighter feats (as the Favored Class) to work with.

Metastachydium
2023-11-10, 10:07 AM
Many thanks for the feedback!

+4 BAB and Fort means you need a level of something after Dwarf Paragon to take this.

I intended that to be a feature, honestly. Dwarf Paragon… Is not stellar.

Improved Weapon Familiarity honestly feels like it shouldn't exist in the first place,

Fair, but I understand why they did it. Retroactively changing the features of Core races does sound like a hassle.

but I guess it fits?

Your vote of confidence is overwhelming! (Hey, Dwarven exotic weapons are not bad as such! Not Elven courtblade level good or Orch shotput level stupid, but there's quite a couple of them at least.)

The 8 RHD LA +4 Midgard Dwarf

Well, ye-es, but LA +4? And it's a Native Outsider! It doesn't even have the Dwarf subtype! No true Scotsman Dwarf would do that! (Don't get me wrong, it is very good for something playable. And it has that nice mythologically semi-accurate, archaic feel to it. Nut it doesn't even have features for drinking beer in hilarious quantities! It can have no beard at all! I was going for a pulpier gimmick thing here.)

And as an Extraordinary ability rather than Supernatural.

Also, while that's absolutely awesome, I feel like something that's magical enough not to work in an AMF shouldn't be entirely non-magical in origin. That's just weird and cheesy.

What do you expect to actively do as a True Dwarf before 8th level gives you magic items? Because it looks like it's stuck as a much worse Fighter or Barbarian with a big Craft check in that case.

I think it still improves on Dwarf Paragon (a low bar, I know). It also beats out Fighter in terms of base chassis (good Will, higher HD, actual skills, a CON boost, an actual class feature that helps against some nasty debuffs, one of which is not even rare in addition to making a racial ribbon scaling…) I mean, yes, Fighter'd get to choose the bonus feats, but DAP is not half-bad (MOUNTAIN PLATE!!), and IWF's level would be a dead level for the Fighter. Not to mention that the whole point is the "you're a DWARF" gimmick. And I don't know that getting DAP instead of choosing some Fighter feat (most of which are awful tax feats anyhow) is so bad, especially with the extra CON on top, that going for the flavour cripples the character.

Stacking such like crazy is a fun meme and all, but there's no outlet for the massive seven levels out of eight commitment for "Full Dwarf".

Okay, yes, I know it's not good per se, but is it really that bad?

Morphic tide
2023-11-10, 11:27 AM
I intended that to be a feature, honestly. Dwarf Paragon… Is not stellar.
With how "iconic" Dwarf Cleric is and what seems like most of the Paragons progressing casting, it seems like doing that really, really deserves a Legacy Champion "back-end" so that doing something that "sack of chassis" isn't decent padding for works properly. Two "blank check" levels would still be an agonizing minimum of three levels lost for casters, but provides a worthwhile tradeoff for some of the splatbook classes and gives you enough Fighter to actually have a decent output without taking advantage of only needing the first level of Dwarf Paragon. And also lets all-in people point it at Dwarf Paragon for bigger Craft check bonuses.

Fair, but I understand why they did it. Retroactively changing the features of Core races does sound like a hassle.
It works fine for Fighter Bonus Feats noting they go in that core-rulebook bucket. "This weapon falls under Dwarf Weapon Familiarity", or something like that, would have sufficed instead of a bloody feat tax on your Weapon Familiarity expansion.

Well, ye-es, but LA +4? And it's a Native Outsider! It doesn't even have the Dwarf subtype! No true Scotsman Dwarf would do that! (Don't get me wrong, it is very good for something playable. And it has that nice mythologically semi-accurate, archaic feel to it. Nut it doesn't even have features for drinking beer in hilarious quantities! It can have no beard at all! I was going for a pulpier gimmick thing here.)

Also, while that's absolutely awesome, I feel like something that's magical enough not to work in an AMF shouldn't be entirely non-magical in origin. That's just weird and cheesy.
ECL 12 is nasty, but it actually does have a line to define it as a Dwarf despite not being Humanoid (which has implications with Alternate Form). And given the product is AMF-subject it is mostly irrelevant.

I think it still improves on Dwarf Paragon (a low bar, I know). It also beats out Fighter in terms of base chassis (good Will, higher HD, actual skills, a CON boost, an actual class feature that helps against some nasty debuffs, one of which is not even rare in addition to making a racial ribbon scaling…) I mean, yes, Fighter'd get to choose the bonus feats, but DAP is not half-bad (MOUNTAIN PLATE!!), and IWF's level would be a dead level for the Fighter. Not to mention that the whole point is the "you're a DWARF" gimmick. And I don't know that getting DAP instead of choosing some Fighter feat (most of which are awful tax feats anyhow) is so bad, especially with the extra CON on top, that going for the flavour cripples the character.

Okay, yes, I know it's not good per se, but is it really that bad?
The trouble is that the only "active" thing before the crafting (which could honestly be the 1st level of this just fine as you're still two levels later than the casters) is the Exotic Weapon Proficiency. You can take an incredible beating, but don't have anything to incite the enemy to attempt it. You're a Dwarf, not a Human, so in the fullest Dwarf case you enter at just three feats. And given you're looking at TWF to use most of the Exotic Weapon Proficiencies, that is not getting you anywhere good. Just one "blank check" level would allow Paragon 1/Knight 3/True 4 to be carrying Test of Mettle to properly force people to try to hit you instead of going after the much squishier targets. Gold and Dream Dwarves exist without Charisma penalty and keep the Craft bonuses (unlike the UA Desert and Jungle Dwarves)

Metastachydium
2023-11-10, 11:49 AM
With how "iconic" Dwarf Cleric is and what seems like most of the Paragons progressing casting, it seems like doing that really, really deserves a Legacy Champion "back-end" so that doing something that "sack of chassis" isn't decent padding for works properly. Two "blank check" levels would still be an agonizing minimum of three levels lost for casters, but provides a worthwhile tradeoff for some of the splatbook classes and gives you enough Fighter to actually have a decent output without taking advantage of only needing the first level of Dwarf Paragon. And also lets all-in people point it at Dwarf Paragon for bigger Craft check bonuses.

(…)

The trouble is that the only "active" thing before the crafting (which could honestly be the 1st level of this just fine as you're still two levels later than the casters) is the Exotic Weapon Proficiency. You can take an incredible beating, but don't have anything to incite the enemy to attempt it. You're a Dwarf, not a Human, so in the fullest Dwarf case you enter at just three feats. And given you're looking at TWF to use most of the Exotic Weapon Proficiencies, that is not getting you anywhere good. Just one "blank check" level would allow Paragon 1/Knight 3/True 4 to be carrying Test of Mettle to properly force people to try to hit you instead of going after the much squishier targets. Gold and Dream Dwarves exist without Charisma penalty and keep the Craft bonuses (unlike the UA Desert and Jungle Dwarves)

That's beautiful. I love Knights and they need the love too. Would the following work out:

–DAP is either moved to level 1 or comes alongside IWF at 3rd, merged under the heading Dwarven Training;
–level 2 keeps the CON boost, and adds Stubborn Habit (Ex), fluffing the "one more level of anything" as "Dwarves are stubborn and abandon old career paths with difficulty"?

Morphic tide
2023-11-10, 12:03 PM

That's beautiful. I love Knights and they need the love too. Would the following work out:

–DAP is either moved to level 1 or comes alongside IWF at 3rd, merged under the heading Dwarven Training;
–level 2 keeps the CON boost, and adds Stubborn Habit (Ex), fluffing the "one more level of anything" as "Dwarves are stubborn and abandon old career paths with difficulty"?
That'd work well enough to be a solid niche (even with the Charisma penalty it's not completely screwed, given how much defensive investment you're setting aside), thought part of the point of referring to Legacy Champion is expandability to other "True [Race]" cases even if you aren't planning to make such yourself.

Metastachydium
2023-11-10, 04:14 PM
That'd work well enough to be a solid niche (even with the Charisma penalty it's not completely screwed, given how much defensive investment you're setting aside), thought part of the point of referring to Legacy Champion is expandability to other "True [Race]" cases even if you aren't planning to make such yourself.

Well. I don't really intend to do more of these, no. But, like, who am I to step in the way of True Equiceph happening, right? I'll go the Legacy Champion/Uncanny Trickster style route, on two levels (1/3 to alternate with the CON boosts).

Edit: And done! How's it look now?

Morphic tide
2023-11-10, 06:10 PM
Well. I don't really intend to do more of these, no. But, like, who am I to step in the way of True Equiceph happening, right? I'll go the Legacy Champion/Uncanny Trickster style route, on two levels (1/3 to alternate with the CON boosts).

Edit: And done! How's it look now?
Looks quite fine! And actually checking the Equiceph... Well, they made a Paragon for hard LA +4 Half-Dragons, so I fail to see an issue with 4 RHD LA +2 horse-people.

Metastachydium
2023-11-11, 11:40 AM
Sweet, on all counts! Thank you for all the help and patience, once again.

noob
2023-11-12, 12:23 PM
Before the bonus levels, it looked underwhelming, now with those, it seems to be a fair prc.

brian 333
2023-11-12, 03:49 PM
A possible feat for this prestige class:

Draw Fire

When in combat with a traditional dwarven enemy, (goblins, orcs, giants, etc,) the True Dwarf knows the appropriate curses and insults to infuriate the enemy. As a free action the True Dwarf can use an Intimidate check to insult all members of a specific race. Failing this check causes all such creatures who can hear the speaker to target the True Dwarf in the following attack round. If the True Dwarf does not continue to make intimidate checks, or changes to insults specific to another race, the affected monsters may choose other targets in subsequent rounds.

After taking the feat, each time the True Dwarf takes a level in the PrC, another race may be chosen. The race must use a language that the dwarf can speak.

Morphic tide
2023-11-12, 05:12 PM
A possible feat for this prestige class:

Draw Fire

When in combat with a traditional dwarven enemy, (goblins, orcs, giants, etc,) the True Dwarf knows the appropriate curses and insults to infuriate the enemy. As a free action the True Dwarf can use an Intimidate check to insult all members of a specific race. Failing this check causes all such creatures who can hear the speaker to target the True Dwarf in the following attack round. If the True Dwarf does not continue to make intimidate checks, or changes to insults specific to another race, the affected monsters may choose other targets in subsequent rounds.

After taking the feat, each time the True Dwarf takes a level in the PrC, another race may be chosen. The race must use a language that the dwarf can speak.
The usual precedent is the Goad feat or Test of Mettle feature from Knight, which are "if you're going to attack, it has to be the user" rather than "required to attack" (much more softly for Goad than Test of Mettle, mind). This might be workable as a Ranger follow-on or alternative (you do get Bluff and Sense Motive bonuses out of Favored Enemy), but even with the defensive value at hand it's a Rather Poor Idea to be popping "all in range to hear" aggression. It also has annoying sequencing.

Metastachydium
2023-11-13, 09:20 AM
a traditional dwarven enemy, (goblins, orcs, giants, etc,) the True Dwarf knows the appropriate curses and insults to infuriate the enemy

Did you mean: Little Cave Elves, Big Brawny Elves, Snotty Baseline Elves etc.?

brian 333
2023-11-13, 03:17 PM
Did you mean: Little Cave Elves, Big Brawny Elves, Snotty Baseline Elves etc.?

We all know that elves are vegetables. A high fiber, nutritious, and delicious part of every orc's diet.

Metastachydium
2023-11-13, 03:20 PM
We all know that elves are vegetables. A high fiber, nutritious, and delicious part of every orc's diet.

↑Listen to this guy, folks! He knows his stuff.↑

H_H_F_F
2023-11-14, 03:41 AM
Finally; a proper prestige class for my pixie bard 2/stoneblessed 3/dwarf paragon 1 who's a closeted homosexual with a very accommodating female friend.

Anyhow, I think that the +class features on a first level of a (full bab) class would make this a very useful 1 level dip for a ton of builds, which is probably not what you're going for. I know there's the backlog of Paragon 1, but a lot of builds don't care that much about the first 5 levels as long as they're full Bab. I can think of plenty of builds I've tinkered with that would use this as a dip, not giving a damn about the rest.

I'd consider moving the feature to 2+3.

Other than that I think it's fun, flavorful, and even decently powerful. I would consider making forge master DC be spell level times (x) rather than n+ spell level.

Metastachydium
2023-11-14, 12:39 PM
Finally; a proper prestige class for my pixie bard 2/stoneblessed 3/dwarf paragon 1 who's a closeted homosexual with a very accommodating female friend.

I'm HELPING! (I also didn't know that was mechanically possible, but still.)

Anyhow, I think that the +class features on a first level of a (full bab) class would make this a very useful 1 level dip for a ton of builds, which is probably not what you're going for. I know there's the backlog of Paragon 1, but a lot of builds don't care that much about the first 5 levels as long as they're full Bab. I can think of plenty of builds I've tinkered with that would use this as a dip, not giving a damn about the rest.

I'd consider moving the feature to 2+3.

Huh. That's fair, and not unlike how Paragon classes do it. But I kind of like how it alternates with the stat boosts. Urgh. Decisions, decisions!

Other than that I think it's fun, flavorful, and even decently powerful. I would consider making forge master DC be spell level times (x) rather than n+ spell level.

Thanks! As for the DC, I took Imbue Item and ran with it. What would you key the multiplier to?

H_H_F_F
2023-11-14, 12:44 PM
I'm HELPING! (I also didn't know that was mechanically possible, but still.)
To clarify, this was just a joke showcasing the farthest one could stretch "Dwarf with a beard" and still qualify.

Thanks! As for the DC, I took Imbue Item and ran with it. What would you key the multiplier to?
I just happen to dislike the way Imbue item does it as well... I don't really know, I just feel that the difference between DC 30 and DC 34 isn't quite as substantial as one would like for the difference between 5th level and 9th level spells.

Metastachydium
2023-11-14, 12:50 PM
To clarify, this was just a joke showcasing the farthest one could stretch "Dwarf with a beard" and still qualify.

I figured. I just thought it's funny that it's possible and went along.

I just happen to dislike the way Imbue item does it as well... I don't really know, I just feel that the difference between DC 30 and DC 34 isn't quite as substantial as one would like for the difference between 5th level and 9th level spells.

True, but on Warlock or a fully non-casting class, it doesn't look that bad. In fact, it's oddly balanced (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html) if you get my drift. And using Forgemaster means three caster levels lost at the very least as well as getting specialized in making two particular classes of items. I think it's alright to just let them be good at that.

H_H_F_F
2023-11-14, 03:56 PM
I figured. I just thought it's funny that it's possible and went along.

True, but on Warlock or a fully non-casting class, it doesn't look that bad. In fact, it's oddly balanced (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html) if you get my drift. And using Forgemaster means three caster levels lost at the very least as well as getting specialized in making two particular classes of items. I think it's alright to just let them be good at that.

Fair.

I'd still move class feature advancement to level 2.

Metastachydium
2023-11-15, 11:16 AM
I'd still move class feature advancement to level 2.

That's a solid idea, yes, but the current symmetry is so pretty. I will consider it very thoroughly, nevertheless.

H_H_F_F
2023-11-15, 11:46 AM
That's a solid idea, yes, but the current symmetry is so pretty. I will consider it very thoroughly, nevertheless.

You could do con-class-class-con, or (not as good IMO) con-class-con-class.

Metastachydium
2023-11-15, 11:58 AM
You could do con-class-class-con, or (not as good IMO) con-class-con-class.

Unique features and CON-boosts a-flanking, bonus feats and bonus levels in the middle? Symmetry increases! All sold.