PDA

View Full Version : Best Favored Enemy picks?

pabelfly
2023-11-10, 02:42 PM
I have a build that would greatly benefit from the bonuses that Favored Enemy offers (Solitary Hunting ACF, Improved Favored Enemy feat plus lots of attacks per round).

The build will be in a custom campaign from level 11 onwards, focused on fighting a mix of neutral and evil enemies. Apart from this, there are no specific lists of enemies that are more typical in the campaign. I currently have eight levels in Ranger in the build.

Given these conditions, what do you think the best picks for Favored Enemy would be? My initial impression is to pick Arcane (since arcane caster covers a bunch of enemies, including a lot of Dragons), Magical Beast and Outsider (Evil) at Ranger 10, but I'd be interested in hearing other suggestions and opinions.

Zanos
2023-11-10, 03:16 PM
I think Undead is the single most populated creature type across 3.5, so it's usually a good bet unless your know your DM doesn't run them.

Forrestfire
2023-11-10, 03:41 PM
The best choices really depend on if you're allowed to take the Uthgardt Barbarian tribal enemy option from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. If you are, then taking that (it's "favored enemy: evil creatures") alongside Arcane Hunter gets you a phenomenally strong baseline, and you can pick from stuff to shore up the holes. Otherwise, magical beasts, outsider (evil), undead, and animal are often good picks (alongside arcanists, which you should take anyway). Aberration is quite good as well. In a lot of campaigns, humanoid (human) is also good due to them being a common default.

I wrote an extensive guide for the ranger that you might find useful; you can find it here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?659159-Ranger-The-Cooler-Paladin-%96-A-Handbook-for-D-amp-D-3-5-s-Most-Redheaded-Stepchild), or if you want just the full table of favored enemy options, here's a link to the table of ratings I made (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c2-fe-list).

pabelfly
2023-11-10, 04:26 PM
The best choices really depend on if you're allowed to take the Uthgardt Barbarian tribal enemy option from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. If you are, then taking that (it's "favored enemy: evil creatures") alongside Arcane Hunter gets you a phenomenally strong baseline, and you can pick from stuff to shore up the holes. Otherwise, magical beasts, outsider (evil), undead, and animal are often good picks (alongside arcanists, which you should take anyway). Aberration is quite good as well. In a lot of campaigns, humanoid (human) is also good due to them being a common default.

I wrote an extensive guide for the ranger that you might find useful; you can find it here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?659159-Ranger-The-Cooler-Paladin-%96-A-Handbook-for-D-amp-D-3-5-s-Most-Redheaded-Stepchild), or if you want just the full table of favored enemy options, here's a link to the table of ratings I made (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c2-fe-list).

I don't think I can swing "FE: Evil" since Uthgardt Barbarians are "people" and that, to me, says human, but it was a helpful list. Thanks

Biggus
2023-11-10, 04:47 PM
Otherwise, magical beasts, outsider (evil), undead, and animal are often good picks (alongside arcanists, which you should take anyway). Aberration is quite good as well. In a lot of campaigns, humanoid (human) is also good due to them being a common default.

Not much point taking animals if the campaign is starting at level 11, there are only 6 animals ever published in 3.5 with CRs higher than 10.

At mid-high levels outsiders, dragons, magical beasts and undead are the most common enemy types.

H_H_F_F
2023-11-10, 04:57 PM
I don't think I can swing "FE: Evil" since Uthgardt Barbarians are "people" and that, to me, says human, but it was a helpful list. Thanks

They are explicitly human, yeah. I think that anything that could be born to a human is fair play though. What's your race?

pabelfly
2023-11-10, 05:27 PM
They are explicitly human, yeah. I think that anything that could be born to a human is fair play though. What's your race?

Giant Anthropromorphic Octopus. I don't think it counts and I'm fine with that.

Forrestfire
2023-11-10, 05:34 PM
Not much point taking animals if the campaign is starting at level 11, there are only 6 animals ever published in 3.5 with CRs higher than 10.

At mid-high levels outsiders, dragons, magical beasts and undead are the most common enemy types.

That's fair. I tend to like having animal at +2 (either by nabbing it normally or via an enemy spirit pouch) in case I ever run into high-level druidic enemies, dire animals, or dinosaurs, but it's definitely notable that it's not as good here.

It's notable that the Faerūn regional rules explicitly allow you to pick regions that your race doesn't match; race and region are decoupled per the PGtF (though you need to pick and choose only one). Still, it's a bit of a moot point of pabelfly doesn't feel like taking that option.

Absolutely valid. In that case, I'd probably go for undead and arcanists plus something of aberrations, evil outsiders, or magical beasts, and get enemy spirit pouches from the Magic Item Compendium to shore up other more niche options like constructs or animals or humanoid types.

paladinn
2023-11-10, 05:50 PM

Any relation to Cthulhu?

paladinn
2023-11-10, 05:54 PM
My favorite Favored Enemy concept was the original. Rangers could add their entire level to attacks against any humanoids or giants. I wonder how that could reasonably be adapted to 3.x.

Then there's a PF spell called Instant Enemy, which lets you apply your bonus to any one target. I'd love to see that as a class feature, usable Y times per day.

pabelfly
2023-11-10, 05:58 PM
Any relation to Cthulhu?

No idea, I'm only making the character, another person at my table will be playing it.

Chronos
2023-11-11, 08:33 AM
Also keep in mind that unless you're making a level 20 character for a one-shot, you don't have to make all of your decisions at once. Maybe right now, there's no predominant enemy type in the campaign, but then it eventually comes to light that illithids are masterminding everything behind the scenes, or one particular dwarf who was supposed to be a one-off boss escaped and is now plotting revenge, or whatever. If that happens, pick your later favored enemies as appropriate.

Doctor Despair
2023-11-11, 10:12 AM

A 2-level dip into Stalker of Kharash or Harper Paragon would also get you Favored Enemy: Evil.

Troacctid
2023-11-11, 12:54 PM
The most common of the core favored enemies in Dungeon Magazine are humans, followed by undead. Humans are a very common foe in published adventures.

pabelfly
2023-11-12, 07:40 AM
A 2-level dip into Stalker of Kharash or Harper Paragon would also get you Favored Enemy: Evil.

True, but that puts me two levels behind on getting Greater Multiweapon Fighting and I lose two feats on top of that. It can be a worthwhile dip for a bunch of builds but not in this instance. Thanks for the suggestion though.