PDA

View Full Version : xplore the Mystical and Historical in 'Grimoires of the Unseen': A New TTRPG Experien

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-12, 11:32 AM
Hello, fellow gamers! I’m Josh Bills, a long-time D&D Dungeon Master (DM). Unfortunately, after my players reach levels 7-10, I usually lose interest. I guess I'm not big on the hit-point bloat or the Avengers-style superhero gameplay. Instead, give me a D&D game with the feel of Game of Thrones where danger and death are around every corner.

After homebrewing D&D 5e for years to try and capture the feel I was after, I eventually decided to build from the ground up. I'm currently creating an independent TTRPG set amidst the gothic landscapes of 14th-century Europe, entitled, "Grimoires of the Unseen." It's a world where historical accuracy meets the darkest European folklore.

Project Overview:
· Setting: The eerie borderlands of France and Germany, early 14th century.
· Theme: A rich blend of historical facts and European mystical folklore.
· Gameplay: Horror/Gothic Mystery Adventure - Players engage in supernatural investigations, artifact recovery, and foiling dark plots. intended to support TTRGP play for small to medium-sized groups for long-running campaigns or one-shots.

Current Progress:
· Game mechanics, storyline, and character systems are nearly finalized.
· Actively seeking artists for immersive illustrations.
· Organizing detailed playtesting phases.

Goals:
· Craft a visually and narratively rich TTRPG.
· Grow a community presence, both online and at conventions.
· Expand with GM tools and further adventures.

Seeking Your Input:
1. Feedback: Does "Grimoires of the Unseen" intrigue you?
2. Collaboration: Open to connections with creatives and industry professionals.
3. Mentorship: Looking for guidance from experienced TTRPG developers.
4. Resources: Searching for development resources and promotional platforms.
Check out my Facebook page "Mythos Forge Games" to get a feel for the tone of the game.

Let's Discuss: Do you see a place for "Grimoires of the Unseen" in the D&D/TTRPG landscape?

KorvinStarmast
2023-11-14, 09:44 AM
Hello, fellow gamers! I’m Josh Bills, a long-time D&D Dungeon Master (DM). Unfortunately, after my players reach levels 7-10, I usually lose interest. I guess I'm not big on the hit-point bloat or the Avengers-style superhero gameplay. Instead, give me a D&D game with the feel of Game of Thrones where danger and death are around every corner.

After homebrewing D&D 5e for years to try and capture the feel I was after, I eventually decided to build from the ground up. I'm currently creating an independent TTRPG set amidst the gothic landscapes of 14th-century Europe, entitled, "Grimoires of the Unseen." It's a world where historical accuracy meets the darkest European folklore.

Project Overview:
· Setting: The eerie borderlands of France and Germany, early 14th century.
· Theme: A rich blend of historical facts and European mystical folklore.
· Gameplay: Horror/Gothic Mystery Adventure - Players engage in supernatural investigations, artifact recovery, and foiling dark plots. intended to support TTRGP play for small to medium-sized groups for long-running campaigns or one-shots.

Current Progress:
· Game mechanics, storyline, and character systems are nearly finalized.
· Actively seeking artists for immersive illustrations.
· Organizing detailed playtesting phases.

Goals:
· Craft a visually and narratively rich TTRPG.
· Grow a community presence, both online and at conventions.
· Expand with GM tools and further adventures.

Seeking Your Input:
1. Feedback: Does "Grimoires of the Unseen" intrigue you?
2. Collaboration: Open to connections with creatives and industry professionals.
3. Mentorship: Looking for guidance from experienced TTRPG developers.
4. Resources: Searching for development resources and promotional platforms.
Check out my Facebook page "Mythos Forge Games" to get a feel for the tone of the game.

Let's Discuss: Do you see a place for "Grimoires of the Unseen" in the D&D/TTRPG landscape? Yes, I think it would fit into the D&D TTRPG landscape. (Not sure if you have looked into DMs guild, or Drive Through RPG, in terms of distribution schemes.

Are you going to do a Kickstarter?
Do you need play testers?

Anymage
2023-11-14, 11:06 AM
Let's Discuss: Do you see a place for "Grimoires of the Unseen" in the D&D/TTRPG landscape?

That would depend entirely on what the game brings to the table mechanically. You'd be much better served sharing some of the concrete work than asking big open ended questions. I will note, though, that "D&D, but houseruled to match the writer's ideas of realism" is a very common form of homebrew. I'm curious how familiar you are with the TTRPG scene beyond various forms of D&D.

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-14, 07:45 PM
Yes, I think it would fit into the D&D TTRPG landscape. (Not sure if you have looked into DMs guild, or Drive Through RPG, in terms of distribution schemes.

Are you going to do a Kickstarter?
Do you need play testers?

Yes, I'm planning to do a Kickstarter, but not until the project gets a little further along and I empty my war chest.

I'm currently working with a graphic designer to have a character sheet professionally made and I'm searching for illustrators who can bring my game to life. I'm also running a lot of playtests to iron out kinks in the mechanics and to ensure maximum fun. If you are interested in the project, I'd love for you to follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61553328484425, where I'll be updating everyone on the game as it pulls together.

If you are interested, please follow my page. I'll post regular updates like the character sheet, once completed!

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-14, 07:57 PM
That would depend entirely on what the game brings to the table mechanically. You'd be much better served sharing some of the concrete work than asking big open ended questions. I will note, though, that "D&D, but houseruled to match the writer's ideas of realism" is a very common form of homebrew. I'm curious how familiar you are with the TTRPG scene beyond various forms of D&D.

Apologies if my initial post provided too little substance. Allow me to share a glimpse into the mechanics and lore of "Grimoires of the Unseen" to whet your appetite:

Basic Mechanic:
“Grimoires of the Unseen” is primarily a skill-based game that relies on a small d20 pool (more rolling, less math!).
1. The Roll: A 20-sided die (d20) will determine your fate. Pray it's in your favor.
2. Skill Levels: Your character's expertise—or lack thereof—will manifest in ways these ways (familiar medieval terminology):
Unskilled: Roll 2d20, take the lowest. You're out of your depth.
o Novice: Roll 1d20. You might survive.
o Journeyman: Roll 2d20, take the higher. You've seen some things.
o Master: Roll 3d20, take the highest. Even you aren't safe
[/LIST]
3. Advantage & Disadvantage: Sometimes, the universe conspires for or against you. The Game Master may grant “Advantage” or impose “Disadvantage”.
o Advantage: If you are Unskilled, make a straight roll. Otherwise, add an additional d20 to your roll and take the highest. Don't get comfortable.
o Disadvantage: Roll at the next least favorable level. If you are Unskilled, roll 3d20 and take the lowest. Your fate worsens.

Lore Teaser:
• A secret war rages in the shadows of 1313 Europe, where mystical beliefs of the Middle Ages are terrifying realities.
• Players will uncover hidden truths behind historical events, as they navigate a world where The Order of the Sacred Reliquary (or other another group of your choosing) battles to protect mankind from a sinister cult and otherworldly horrors.

Character Creation Teaser:
• Choose from diverse backgrounds like Noble, Clergy, Merchant, or Peasant, (and scores of professions) each with unique skills and starting assets.
• Age affects your character's abilities; youth brings luck and resilience, while age provides wisdom and improved skills.
• Characters are built using six primary attributes (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA), each ranging from 1-20. Health Points (HP) are governed by a player's raw STR score and only increase when that attribute does.
• CON is no longer just for physical health; "In Grimoires of the Unseen" it represents a player's mental stability. Depletion leads to levels of insanity with significant roleplaying consequences. Reach five levels of insanity and your character's role shifts dramatically, likely becoming an NPC or a villain, as guided by the Game Master.

Combat Mechanics Teaser:
• Combat in "Grimoires of the Unseen" is both strategic and deadly and it is tailored towards the theatre of the mind, though it can also be run with minis. As "Grimoires of the Unseen" is a horror/gothic adventure game, combat and chases are equally important and the transitions between them are fluid, fast-paced, and exciting. In my playtesting, to date, some complex combats have run upwards, of two hours, but they are often much quicker.
• To achieve this intensity, speed, and fluidity, ranges such as "Melee," "Near," "Far," and "Distant" are used in place of grid squares or hexes. Actions within combat rounds all happen simultaneously, and player turns are taken in clockwise order.
• Additionally, "Ranged Combat Rules" offer a narrative but tactical option for closing distances, while
"Grappling Rules" offer strategic options in close combat.

Magic System Teaser:
• Three forms of magic—Divine, Elemental, and Dark—each with distinct advantages, drawbacks, and societal implications.
• Casting isn't just about spells. It's about negotiation with otherworldly entities and the risks of delving into forbidden knowledge.

Chase Mechanics Teaser:
• Fast-paced chase sequences where terrain, strategy, and luck all play a role in escaping danger or catching a quarry. Chases in "Grimoires of the Unseen" are broken into segments with possible complications between each. Chases are measured on a short track. At the end of the track is "escape." Either the pursuers catch their quarry, or the quarry escapes. Each chase segment involves a real-time dice roll-off between the GM and a player, and each chase complication is randomly chosen from a table that is tailored to the chase location. When a chase moves from one environment to another, the GM simply begins rolling on the chase complication table tailored to the new environment.

And a Little More:
• "Locks & Traps" minigames that turn a simple game action into a nerve-wracking skill challenge.

I hope this gives you a clearer picture of what "Grimoires of the Unseen" is about. We're crafting a game that's as much about the thrill of the chase and the clash of steel as it is about the dark corners of history and the human soul.

As fun as the mechanics are turning out to be, the thing that excites me most about this game is the real world folklore and history! Faerun can't hold a candle to medieval Europe!

I'm looking forward to bringing you all into this world and hearing your thoughts and feedback!

KorvinStarmast
2023-11-15, 01:21 PM
Yes, I'm planning to do a Kickstarter, but not until the project gets a little further along and I empty my war chest. Good. I'll keep an eye out for the kickstarter.
I don't do farcebook.
Regarding:
Dice pools. Sounds good.
2. Skill Levels. Could work.
3. Advantage & Disadvantage
Would need to see more detail on that.
Lore Teaser: that interests me.
Character Creation Teaser:
Need to see the finished product to comment.
Combat Mechanics Teaser: reminds me a bit of 13th Age.

Magic System Teaser:

• Three forms of magic—Divine, Elemental, and Dark—each with distinct advantages, drawbacks, and societal implications.
• Casting isn't just about spells. It's about negotiation with otherworldly entities and the risks of delving into forbidden knowledge.

I like this approach.
Chase Mechanics Teaser: Like.

As fun as the mechanics are turning out to be, the thing that excites me most about this game is the real world folklore and history! Faerun can't hold a candle to medieval Europe! Yes please, not the bowdlerized stuff that has become so common these days.
Don't forget to include the Black Death/Plague, since you are going for 14th Century Europe. (A Distant Mirror was one of the first books I read on Medieval history...but it led to many others)

Lalliman
2023-11-15, 04:03 PM
Skill Levels: Your character's expertise—or lack thereof—will manifest in ways these ways (familiar medieval terminology):
• Unskilled: Roll 2d20, take the lowest. You're out of your depth.
• Novice: Roll 1d20. You might survive.
• Journeyman: Roll 2d20, take the higher. You've seen some things.
• Master: Roll 3d20, take the highest. Even you aren't safe

This is neat, a nice clean-cut dice pool system. You should definitely be forward about core mechanics like these when pitching your game, because those will make or break a player's interest.

• Characters are built using six primary attributes (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA), each ranging from 1-20. Health Points (HP) are governed by a player's raw STR score and only increase when that attribute does.
• CON is no longer just for physical health; "In Grimoires of the Unseen" it represents a player's mental stability. Depletion leads to levels of insanity with significant roleplaying consequences. Reach five levels of insanity and your character's role shifts dramatically, likely becoming an NPC or a villain, as guided by the Game Master.
This is all solid, except I would suggest not using the names of the D&D ability scores if they don't mean the same things. Rename Constitution to Will or Tenacity or something.

I also second the suggestion to branch out from Facebook. I think the demographic of people who are open to trying out indie tabletop RPGs overlaps heavily with the demographic who deleted their Facebook accounts years ago.

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-15, 05:15 PM
I also second the suggestion to branch out from Facebook. I think the demographic of people who are open to trying out indie tabletop RPGs overlaps heavily with the demographic who deleted their Facebook accounts years ago.

Any recommendations about where else I should post?

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-15, 05:16 PM
Good. I'll keep an eye out for the kickstarter.

Thanks for the positive feedback and the great ideas!

Lalliman
2023-11-15, 06:57 PM
Any recommendations about where else I should post?
I think Twitter is still a solid go-to despite Musk's best efforts to destroy it. Facebook and Twitter are structurally similar, so you can just double-post the same things to both and have the benefit of increased accessibility.

You could also consider making a subreddit for the game. That's a bit different but it will offer another way for people to "follow" you and be notified when you post. I, for one, frequent neither Facebook nor Twitter, so although I can look at your page in the moment, I have no convenient way to follow your progress. But I could if you were on Reddit.

Atranen
2023-11-17, 11:25 PM
The setting sounds very cool. I dig it. Anything inspired by real folklore, especially overlooked folklore, is A+ in my book. Check out something like this (https://www.themerrymushmen.com/product/a-folklore-bestiary-for-old-school-essentials-tmm) for a comparison. I looked at your Facebook page and liked what I saw. I like lower power levels as well. 5e past fifth is...fine now and then, but I don't particularly care for it.

I don't know what to make of the skill system yet. "Low powered medieval fantasy" makes me think "OSR", but yours seems a different direction. I've done dice pools, but never with d20s. I'd have to see it in action. If I saw your game at a con, I'd sign up.

So, I'm interested, especially in what you do with the lore. If I don't like the system but the lore is good, I'd still consider buying your product for inspiration.

The socials scene is hopelessly fragmented these days. I'm most active on discord, and I see the most uptake for indie stuff there. Probably followed by Twitter.

I run public games all the time. If you've got playtest/convention games in mind, keep me on your list. No promises as to availability, but if I see the system and like it and the schedule works, I'd try running it.

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-18, 06:23 PM
This is all solid, except I would suggest not using the names of the D&D ability scores if they don't mean the same things. Rename Constitution to Will or Tenacity or something..

Good call! I've re-named it "Endurance!" Thanks for the feedback!

WilliamJoel333
2023-11-18, 06:26 PM
The setting sounds very cool. I dig it. Anything inspired by real folklore, especially overlooked folklore, is A+ in my book. Check out something like this (https://www.themerrymushmen.com/product/a-folklore-bestiary-for-old-school-essentials-tmm) for a comparison.

I run public games all the time. If you've got playtest/convention games in mind, keep me on your list. No promises as to availability, but if I see the system and like it and the schedule works, I'd try running it.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I may reach out when I have a PDF version that I'm comfortable releasing into the wild for additional playtesting!