PDA

View Full Version : Index (Game Thread) D&D 3.5 ed. The Bloodstone Lands

DarkOmens67
2023-11-12, 07:31 PM
The Cold Lands of Faerun, bordering the vast snow tundra called 'The Great Glacier' is filled with legends from the Great Lich King, to Dragons, and lost kingdoms. Word among older adventurers is that one can gain the gold to buy Waterdeep just by living in the Cold Lands and scrubbing the ruins for gems and gold. The group traveled several months with long merchant caravans to the city of Damara, they met with Greburn, a Dwarven merchant to guide them to the city of Narfell. The Dwarven merchant paid the group (thus your starting gold) for helping along the travels and paid for their room and board for the two weeks that the caravan remained in Damara.

The night before Greburn's caravan was set to depart the city and return to the warmer regions of Faerun, he accompanies a young lady to the PC's table at the Inn "Ok boys, Dis here is Adalla. She be a merchant from the Glacier an is heading north tomorrow, we're moving out too, but we're going south. We'll be back in Spring an if ya want ta travel home you're more than welcome. Ya don't gotta take the job she offers, but there are a lot of treasures to find out there". He pats each of the group members on the shoulder "Keep your blades oiled an your eyes opened. As rich as that land is, so to is the dangers" then leaves the Inn towards the caravan.

Adalla pulls a seat over to the table "Like Greburn said, I'm traveling north. I've gathered supplies that should stretch throughout the winter and enough trade items to keep us in business. You act as security for my sleds, I'll pay 8 GPs each for a tenday travel. Then I'll provide you a map, explain the different areas to explore and we can spend the winter gathering treasure to be traded down here. Of course, you each get to keep what you want from any battles and treasures in the ruins. I get what you don't want and will sell that off in the spring. What do you say? Oh and I'm paying room and board throughout the winter."
has been unsuccessful in hiring anyone to travel to the tribal lands of Harthgroth, the Nar waymeet, and Var lands

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/9b/4d/c09b4d155f0ce168fce5c698d2cfe340.jpg

Paladin12
2023-11-14, 05:28 PM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2852909
Text color
Blue

Yas392
2023-11-15, 05:54 PM
Damien smiles.

"Well met, Adalla. You may call me Damien. The proposal is acceptable. You have my club and my aid. My goddess would not let me abandon an ally alone in blighted lands fraught with monsters. Besides, testing our might against many of our foes would be a great opportunity to get stronger."

He turns to his companions.

"Don't you agree, my friends?"

DarkOmens67
2023-11-15, 07:12 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/9b/4d/c09b4d155f0ce168fce5c698d2cfe340.jpg

Dalla nodded towards Damien with a grateful expression "I will be leading the wagons through Bloodstone Pass, we shouldn't encounter and Dragons or big nasties as they prefer the harsher conditions with bigger prizes than us. Still, they're out there. We will be in graver danger from Cree Nomadic tribes as most are hostile to outsiders. We keep everyone bundled up and their heads covered in furs should minimize that. Orc and Goblin tribes are split, some are hostile but others have proven to be trustworthy allies. We'll be heading to Vaasa, which will take ten days. That is the last big city in this region and by the time we reach it, the snows will have already started coming in behind us. We'll be trapped on that side of the pass for the winter. After that, I plan to move on along the Gelanes Peaks to the city of Darmshall. They are asking for mail-order brides from the south, but I want to scout the area and set up way stations to cash in on any caravans trying to barge in on my territory. They can't afford to place their merchandise in danger and when my way stations are the most secure options, they'll pay good gold and gems to spend the night. Anyway, once we do that, we'll move on to a small city called Palischuk, a grand place indeed, its run by Half-Orcs"

The Nar woman spouted a long sermon, but filled with a lot of information. Looking around the table at the members sitting along the edge "So, what are your questions? and yes, there will be more pay after the ten day travel to Vaasa"

Paladin12
2023-11-15, 07:37 PM
I”ll want to know the chances of the natives attacking us. I want to know how alert I should be, how long the shifts should be, and the amount of force that might befall us.

DarkOmens67
2023-11-15, 09:12 PM
The merchant acknowledged Danner's concerns with a half smile "I don't know, there is no predicting the size of an ambush. With that said, the route we are taking travels quite a distance from most of the tribes. They migrate north before the big snows so they can set up before hunting the Bison, Bears, and other large beasts. We may come across straggler packs too weak to maintain the pace of most clans. I have six natives on the team, three warriors will ride reindeer along our flanks and point, we will begin the ten days with our sleighs tied down on flat bed wagons, horses can pull the wagons from here to Vaasa as long as the weather holds. Once there we will need to switch to reindeer as well or skis. Myself and three others will drive the wagons and sleds; if the group doesn't have mounts, you can each ride on a wagon and a sled. As for guard shifts, Jissika will have the darkest hours as she has Dark Vision, TaqTu has a team of huskies (5) to help with early warning. Outside of that your group can coordinate with the warriors for shifts. The drivers are responsible for setting up and tearing down the campsite, feeding and preparing the animals, and driving. That is more than equivalent to what the warriors are being asked to perform." when she finished speaking, she continued to look around the table. She slides a large deep colored red stone to the center "This is a Blood stone, this one is valued at 500 gold, in the mountains there are stones three times this size, but few willing to take that opportunity".

Yas392
2023-11-16, 01:44 AM
Damien nods.

"Any other threats we should be aware of than what we have been informed? And if the Cree Nomadic Tribes would become be our frequent doorknockers, anything about their chieftains we should know so that we can discuss our approach to dealing with them if we encounter them on the battlefield?"

Metastachydium
2023-11-16, 09:58 AM
Quickest way to find out's to find out. Muret chimes in with a pleased smile, an old routine kicking in within her mind, skimming through memories that smell of wine and ale. Terms sound sweet indeed; never been up there before. I'm as in as our Damien here. Delicate fingers start drumming on the table, as if in expectation. Can I touch that? she suddenly asks, extending one in the bloodstone's general direction.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0] and
Knowledge (nobility&royalty): [roll1], to see if she knows anything about what the others are interested in, even if only from hearsay.

DarkOmens67
2023-11-16, 10:38 AM
Dalla's eyes met with Muret's, a slight smile crept before she rolled the hand-sized gemstone to the Bard. "As I've said, there is no other place in all of Faerun that has discovered bloodstones. This is a small one, I've seen stones the size of an Iron pot. It was so expensive that the only customers were Dwarves and that was because they provided a lot of powerful magic weapons and armor as payment."

DAMIEN: Half paying attention to Damien, the merchant shrugs "There is no telling which of the hundreds of tribes might be lagging behind. Nobody knows all of the chieftans except maybe the Dwarves. Threats? sure, Wolves, Lynx, and Bear. There are Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears. I planned the route carefully and my estimates are that we are south of the tribes. There are ruins scattered throughout the region, there was a Kingdom up there at the time of the Netherese, but invasions and the Lich King destroyed those civilized cultures. The notion that the land is boundless with opportunities is true, there were mages, towers, and Cathedrals all over. Now they're covered in snow or buried in landslides. Still people can get lucky. If we encounter the Cree, we'll send a scout to identify their banner. Hopefully we'll know the tribe, but if not" she points to herself and makes a slicing motion across her neck "I'll have to negotiate with whoever it is. They are horse archers, some also carry lances. If you get them off of their mounts, they are no different than anyone else, but expert riders."

Metastachydium; Muret knows history and the city of Palischuk is located west of Castle Perilous (historic battle where Faerun Armies defeated a Lich King). Now the castle is in ruins, but Dragons visit it frequently.

Rumors; Muret has heard Dwarves talking about the old mining cities of Talagbar and Delhalls being discovered in the ice region. The snow melted around both entrances, but nobody wants to enter since both were buried for centuries.
rich in (Bloodstone, Emerald, Rubies, Gold, Silver, and Copper veins)

samduke
2023-11-16, 10:59 AM
will you be providing us with mounts and rations for this or do we need to account for this before undertaking such a journey

DarkOmens67
2023-11-16, 01:12 PM
Dalla turned towards Tasha, "Mounts are your obligations, if you need transportation we can put you and your equipment on a sleigh. Food, is being taken care of, the riders we have are experienced hunters in this region as well as about 80 pounds of various spices, dried meats, nuts, and berries from the warmer climates.". She looks around the group, "Anyone in this group happen to have engineering or carpentry skills? It would help tremendously in building way stations"

Metastachydium
2023-11-16, 01:23 PM
Dalla's eyes met with Muret's, a slight smile crept before she rolled the hand-sized gemstone to the Bard. "As I've said, there is no other place in all of Faerun that has discovered blood stones. This is a small one, I've seen stones the size of an Iron pot. It was so expensive that the only customers were Dwarves and that was because they provided a lot of powerful magic weapons and armor as payment."

Dang-darn pretty. the Half-Elf plays around with the stone for a moment, a childlike satisfaction on her face. Heard about these quite a lot. Full mines, they say, up for grabs, up there. Never seen one before. she goes on, before, somewhat reluctantly pushing the gem back along the tabletop to its rightful owner.

"Anyone in this group happen to have engineering or carpentry skills? It would help tremendously in building way stations"

Got the know-how. Muret nods, quite proudly as the question comes up. I can help! Well, not with the building-building, much, beyond lifting things. Can tell what's sound, what will stand, what's good to work from.

Knowledge (a&e) for the win!

Paladin12
2023-11-16, 03:12 PM
I can help with the building, but not the designing. Darren says with a quick smile. but I feel like Muret will help you enough on that front. Once you’re ready, give me a call.

OnceUponAnAxe
2023-11-16, 07:19 PM
Jherek nodded along as the others spoke. He wasn’t the best at negotiations. He leaned into the conversation for just a bit. I’m not good for much beyond being a good shot but, I’m terribly good at that. Seems like only a fool would pass this up. Pay sounds good and free food? I’m in.

He watched Muret handle the bloodstone. It was worth more gold than he’d seen in one place in his whole life. Big as a pot… His voice trailed off thinking about the red crown he could make for his red hair.

DarkOmens67
2023-11-16, 07:39 PM
Dalla gathered the stone as she addressed Jherek's amusement "It ain't gonna be that easy, those mines all of the Dwarves are talking about. There is a reason they aren't the ones tip-toeing into those mines. First its too cold for them and second they don't know what else is inside. They can't find enough volunteers to join them or they don't want to pay the price needed to hire those that can keep the stunts alive".

Finished talking to the group Dalla stands up

"If you want to save your coins, you are all welcome to spend the night on the sleds. That is where all of us are going to be and we're going to be starting off long before sun-up. So if you get a room, you have to wake up in enough time to get to the wagons or you can huddle under the pelts all night and you may not wake up until the lunchtime venison is being fried on the fire"

The merchant walked towards the exit, she raised a hand, and shouted back to the group "You can't miss us, we're the only crazy ones with sleighs tied on top of wagons." and exits the tavern.

Phyzor
2023-11-17, 06:04 AM
Ruud who remained silent this whole time is contemplating wheter this is something he should consider. Being paid in a relatievely safe environment was something else compared to this more dangerous offer. He has seen his fellow protectors, but does not really know hos safe he will be around them if sh*t hits the fan.

However the sound of riches does strike him and the adventrue and seeing other lands was brought him here in the first place. Looking to expand his knowledge....

After Della left first thing he says is "Why sleep on the sleds... Greburn has paid for our rooms already." pauses for a second and looks at the others "I'm up for adventure, sounds like Della has some good protection already and we're just extra's." He smiles.

samduke
2023-11-17, 08:05 AM
Obviously Della thinks the extra help is needed. Which tells me there is more going on than we have been told. but I think if they are willing to fork over 500 gold for us to help out, It may be a bit colder under a pelt but that is where I am going to be.

Tasha wanders out after discussing things with the group and finds a nice soft bunch of pelts to use to sleep on and under

Metastachydium
2023-11-17, 12:16 PM
Ruud who remained silent this whole time is contemplating wheter this is something he should consider. Being paid in a relatievely safe environment was something else compared to this more dangerous offer. He has seen his fellow protectors, but does not really know hos safe he will be around them if sh*t hits the fan.

However the sound of riches does strike him and the adventrue and seeing other lands was brought him here in the first place. Looking to expand his knowledge....

After Della left first thing he says is "Why sleep on the sleds... Greburn has paid for our rooms already." pauses for a second and looks at the others "I'm up for adventure, sounds like Della has some good protection already and we're just extra's." He smiles.

Obviously Della thinks the extra help is needed. Which tells me there is more going on than we have been told. but I think if they are willing to fork over 500 gold for us to help out, It may be a bit colder under a pelt but that is where I am going to be.

Tasha wanders out after discussing things with the group and finds a nice soft bunch of pelts to use to sleep on and under

Two things, friend Ruud. Muret flashes a radiant smile at the wizard. No getting up early; and a thing I never did but sounds fun. I'm off with Tasha, here. Worst case, see you tomorrow. she slides off of her seat to go gather her gear.

Yas392
2023-11-17, 06:36 PM
Damien waves a hand sideways when he spies Muret's happy face.

"There is a cautionary tale and saying in Al-Qadim to not take more than what is needed lest greed ruins you and you meet unsavory end. Perhaps we should heed that so that we avoid that fate."

The cleric shakes his head when Adalla asks about engineering.

"Not an artisan. I can call upon the power of Selune to boost the proficiency, not grant prowess."

Damien laughs at the responses about the room and pelts.

"I am an early bird myself. I have to pray to my goddess before the moon gives way to the sun. Ruud is not wrong. It is best to enjoy the last hospitality of our patron and the comforts it grants us before we hit the road. Of course, you have a point, Muret, about punctuality to those in our company not used to such routine. And when our contractor needs help, there is this great thing about civilization and being in a settlement; sentries that will alert us with their bell tolling when there are dangers houses away from her. Well, I am going to the shop to see to any final purchases before our journey. I am going to start now."

The cleric waves at his companions as he departs. As night falls, he sleeps in one of the paid rooms.

Phyzor
2023-11-19, 02:31 AM
Haering the others Ruud decides to hit the town for some preparation shopping of his own. Guess I will see you all at the sleds. Although he prefers comfort over anything else he doesnt want to miss out on this oppurtunity

Metastachydium
2023-11-19, 10:49 AM
Once out of the tavern with all her belongings bundled up, Muret is quick to follow Damien's lead in taking care of some final preparations: this morning she figured she'll only have to put up with the goosebumps for just a little longer before taking the road back south, but given their new destination, she'll definitely need something with sleeves. Thick, warm sleeves.

With that taken care of, Muret and her brand new winter clothes stuffed into her pack (she'll have time enough to change; they really do look bulky) approaches what she expects to be Dalla's caravan with her best smile and quite some eager waving. You Dalla's folk? she asks cheerily. Looks like me and mine are joining you lot. Name's Muret. Happy to meet you all.

DarkOmens67
2023-11-19, 12:59 PM
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2wwxR

Outside of the tavern, it is easy to notice the winter winds approaching with the chilly breeze flowing from the north. When the group finishes their shopping it is early evening and the first flakes of snow are beginning to fall. The damp chill sticks to your throat making it uncomfortable and forcing you to cough to clear the airway. Frost is seen with every breath. Everyone is still toasty under their cold weather outfits, but removing layers will gradually become uncomfortably chilly.

Town guards walk along the streets lighting the lamps to provide some lighting and many of the locals and caravan rosters are beginning to pack themselves in for the evening. Only the tavern/Inn remains opened and a few people drinking inside.

Muret approaches the four wagons, a Nar woman is busy stacking pelts on top of crates (titled weapons, armor, bolts of cloth, spices, food, and general). Four Nar men are tending to the horses and stringing them to the wagon (not harnessing them). A Half-Orc woman in heavy pelts dropped scraps of food onto the ground as two large huskies pounced on the leftover chunks of beef.

Guessing the Half Orc is Jissika since Dalla claimed she had darkvision. Hard to tell who is who, but one of the men calls for the huskies Kutu and Hashika. Hearing the conversations, you hear the woman packing the wagon's name is SuFrasia

DarkOmens67
2023-11-20, 09:22 PM
IF Nobody Posts Tonight, I'm moving on with the story.

Yas392
2023-11-21, 03:27 AM
Damien sleeps early and wakes up early to have breakfast. Two hours before the departure and hour before his prayers, he joins the others and stands vigil. If there is nothing urgent happening, he prays for his daily spells and changes one of them to endure elements to be applied to himself before the journey.

samduke
2023-11-21, 08:54 AM
Waking up to the brisk air, Tasha dons her winter gear in preparation for the journey ahead.

Phyzor
2023-11-21, 01:35 PM
Ruud gathers his supplies, studies his spellbook and puts on his newly acquired cold weather outfit before heading to the sleds.

He looks around for his old crew "Goodmorning all. I'm ready for the trek north, well as good as I can be".

DarkOmens67
2023-11-21, 06:18 PM
NPC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?662198-(NPCs)-D-amp-D-3-5-ed-The-Bloodstone-Lands&p=25912321#post25912321)

The group gradually arrived at the caravan, Dalla finished hitching the horses and double-checking the tie-down straps. The half-orc Jissika (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NoQ01) nods as each of you reaches the wagons. She waves her arm indicating the available wagons "As long as you all don't jump on the same wagon, feel free to get under some of those pelts."

A second Narr woman walks past Damien, patting him on the shoulder "Don't lose your seat, I'm Aviana", she reaches the second wagon and climbed into the seat ready to start the team. With the final checks completed, drivers climbing the toe board to take their seats.

The three warriors mounted their reindeer and took their places. Hawee, a heavy set Nar rode past the wagons and led the route toward their first objective. A light snow began to fall, frost building up around the lanterns along the street. With a sudden tug and jolt, the wagons began to move with the soft crackling sound of wagon wheels adjusting to the weight ontop.

I made a thread just for NPCs. You can go there and view their images. If you ask questions and learn more about them, let me know so I can add it into their bios.

samduke
2023-11-22, 07:59 AM
Tasha heading to the lead wagon then climbing on. While standing she looks back takes into account every inch on the wagons cargo and places that she could stand ride or move about if needed, then sits next to the driver of the wagon.

Yas392
2023-11-22, 03:46 PM
Damien sits on the wagon in the middle of the pack. He casts endure elements on himself as the rider directs the reindeers to move the wagons. Damien takes out his morning star and strap it on his waist. The cleric clasps his hands.

"May Selune protect us from the worst of the elements and storm. May she see us through to the end of our journey and keep our inner flames alight."

Phyzor
2023-11-22, 04:02 PM
"Thanks for the invite" Ruud says as he introduces himself to the crew. I am Ruud, what are your names?
Anything I can do to speed up the departure?
About the trek... at what point should we be wary of hostile tribes?"
Sorry, this is new territory provides so many questions

He is visibly a little uncomfortable, not in an insecure way though

DarkOmens67
2023-11-22, 04:56 PM
The caravan's journey was peaceful throughout the morning. Along the travel, Aviana pulled out a cloth wrapped to keep food and handed it to Damien. When he first held the item, it was warm, the object was the size of a flapjack and it had the aroma of bacon (its is a biscuit).

The morning had the light snows falling, the temperature rose by about fifteen degrees as the group traveled the northern steppes (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4f/ad/42/4fad425015fa8be5047726eab89be410.jpg) towards Bloodstone pass.

The early afternoon presented a different story, traveling along the path between the rolling hills, the group could see about a dozen vultures circling ahead of the wagon train. Hawee rode towards the group quickly "Battlefield ahead, many dead, and many goblins 100 feet away leaving the field". The three riders broke from the wagon train, Hawee reported to the first wagon "We'll make sure there are no goblins approaching the wagons", Dalla nodded her head before shouting behind her "Arm yourselves, we're approaching danger"

Several minutes later, the group sees a gravely wounded Soldier (https://quarkmaster.tumblr.com/image/70434889752), barely holding on, blocking the attacks of three Goblins (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/16/84/5716842609373f92119b92a496fdb894.png)
One growling "Give it to us hooman!! It is ours by rite of winning"

I posted a thread a few posts before this one. It is a link to NPCs with images of each.

samduke
2023-11-23, 08:50 AM
with her keen eye spotting the damager ahead from the lead wagon. Signaling to the wagons following behind

Having drawn her crossbow at the first warning. Picking the goblin that looks to be the leader type of the three present. then firing a shot at the goblin from range.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Attack:
Heavy Crossbow from 120 ft
[roll1]

Confirm critical: 19-20x2
[roll2]

Damage:
[roll3]

Metastachydium
2023-11-23, 10:33 AM
Muret was quick to follow Tasha clambering onto the foremost wagon the previous night (figuring that one's bound to offer the best view of the road ahead), although unlike the Human, she was very quick to, for the most part, disappear under those lovely warm pelts. Having spent most of the journey in the sweet limbo of half-trance, resting underneath, she is, nevertheless, just as quick to stick her head out and look around as reports of violence ahead start coming in, and worms her way out of the soft nest of rest, rising to a knee and drwing her sword the moment Dalla gives the order. How many's many goblins? Can only see three or so. she inquires eagerly, ready to hop off and FIGHT at once, adding a loud HEY, GOBLINS! 'S THERE MORE OF YOU?! to cathch the creatures' attention.

Initiative: [roll0]

Phyzor
2023-11-24, 05:26 AM
Studying his book on the road Ruud's focus gets interrupted by Hawee and Della.
Whats that battlefield about, what are the goblins demanding from the human for their win... As all the questions go through his head, his companions are shouting and seemingly drawing attention to them.

Goblins full of adrenaline from battle AND them not getting what they want is probably not the best scenario to negotiate...

Ruud readies himself to engage, seeking a bit of cover on or behind the sled.

[roll0]

DarkOmens67
2023-11-24, 05:35 AM
A crossbow bolt strikes the human warrior, a mouth full of blood spits out as he falls face first into the blood soaked mound. The goblins look at the approaching wagons, two begin to lose composure, but the third begins blowing a horn in long bursts in a rhythmic pattern.

Suddenly twenty-five goblin heads pop up from behind mounds of bodies. (Different initiative)

This is the beginning of combat. Roll initiative. If you wish to keep the initiative roll from the previous post, let me know. The goblins will be firing sling stones.

Three Goblins [roll0]

Tasha 9
Ruud 8
Murret 5
Danner;
Damien
Jherek
NPC initiatives; Last
Dalla/human/aristocrat/Attack;+3/AC;16/HPs 14 Long Sword D8+2
Aviana/human/adept/Attack;+1/AC;12/HPs 13 Hand Axe D4
Yuna/human/expert/Attack;+1/AC;12/HPs Short Bow D6
SuFrasia/Human/Warrior/Attack;+3/AC;17/HPs 14 Mace D6+1

Yas392
2023-11-24, 05:47 AM
Damien jumps out of the cart with his Morningstar on hand (not sure if he can be armed before battle. If not, he will draw it when he acts) behind a cover that he can angle his face to monitor the enemies. The goblins ganging up on the guard on the verge of death causes him to narrow his eyes. The bolt that seals his fate causes the cleric to shut his eyes and let out a growl. Opening his eyes after a brief pause, he points his hand (or morningstar if he can arm before battle) at the goblins.

"Subdue or kill the goblins! Protect the merchants and the goods!"

Paladin12
2023-11-24, 09:01 AM
Darren silently draws his sword and shield, bangs them together as warning, and jumps out of the cart, ready.

samduke
2023-11-29, 08:12 AM
<<See ooc discussions>>
Round 1 Action:

Tasha

Targeting the goblin that blew the horn

Attack from range 120 or less (Precise Shot)
[roll0]

Confirm Critical 19-20x2
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]