PDA

View Full Version : Hoard Of The Dragon Queen [IC]

JNAProductions
2023-11-13, 08:53 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?661916-Hoard-Of-The-Dragon-Queen-OOC)
You find yourselves with an odd group, heading to the nice little town of Greenest. The weather is a nice balmy day, with a few puffy clouds high in the sky. It looks like it might rain in a bit, but for now, the weather is clear and lovely.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-13, 11:21 PM
"Slow day, isn't it?" Goldcap comments, peering up and down the Uldoon Trail. "It's supposed to be a popular caravan route... but there's not a soul apart from us in sight."

Jyps
2023-11-14, 06:45 AM
Piemo is marching along, trying to keep up with the group’s long-legged pace.

He is a stout halfling of slightly above average height (a barely noticeable advantage, really, but he is incredibly proud of being the tallest of all his brothers and cousins).

He carries a short bow, a short sword, and a big bag of assorted adventuring gear. For defense, he wears hide armor, sparkling new, like it never went near the faintest whiff of combat.

And as a bold fashion statement against the halfling community, Piemo wears nice travel boots.

“I’ll say, indeed, that is a bit odd. But then again, empty road’s better than one full of bandits! Don’t you agree?”

He scratches his head for a moment and asks

“Why is it they call you Goldcap, anyways?”

NontheistCleric
2023-11-14, 07:32 AM
The sun flashes momentarily off Goldcap's cloth-of-gold cap as she turns an amused gaze on Piemo.

"Well, Master Nivebullo," she says, "I suppose it's just the only name I have left.

"As for bandits... they wouldn't leave their ambush-holes for an armed group like us. First fat merchant who comes along, then you'll see them."

Illven
2023-11-15, 11:54 AM
"Yeah, we're too heavily armed for most bandits. They'd only attack us if they were like starving or something. Elizabeth said chirpily as their long blonde hair immediately changes to red.

sandmote
2023-11-15, 12:58 PM
The elderly dwarf struggling to quite keep up smiles, this weathered skin breaking out in more creases than is expected, even for a dwarf his age. "That's the hope anyway. Although I suspect the fattest merchants hire a good guard too."

JNAProductions
2023-11-15, 01:43 PM
You continue chatting amicably as you crest a hill and turn a bend around a copse of trees.

As you round the road, your conversations halt. You see Greenest in the distance, but instead of the peaceful town you expected, you see plumes of smoke trailing up, and above in the sky, a blue dragon, casting down death and destruction.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-15, 02:08 PM
For a moment, Goldcap stands frozen in astonishment, then she breaks into a run towards Greenest.

Illven
2023-11-15, 02:11 PM
Elizabeth hefts her crossbow and starts to run as well.

Jyps
2023-11-16, 05:09 AM
“A what…?”

Piemo can’t believe his eyes. Frantically, he searches his pockets for the little amulet of Chauntea his mother gave to him. But he realizes he forgot it at home.

“Ah, crud…”

Then everyone is running.

The halfling fighter starts running too, trying not to look at the skies ahead.

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 11:01 AM
You rush for the city, and as you draw nearer, you see the dragon is not fighting alone. There are signs of a forced entry into the city gates, and people have clearly been fighting more than just the skies.

How do you approach Greenest?

NontheistCleric
2023-11-16, 11:12 AM
Goldcap dashes straight into the city, looking about to try and discern who the defenders and who the attackers are.

Perception: [roll0]

sandmote
2023-11-16, 01:08 PM
Krommar is following along, but lagging behind the party. Dwarven legs weren't made for running. He checks for anyone who looks like a civilian either wielding a weapon or cowering to question.

[roll0] +4 for Perception or Insight to find someone, -1 if going straight to a charisma roll to talk.

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 02:50 PM
As you enter, you see a man rushing from an alley. He's stumbling and hurt, but hurrying his children along-three of them, none old enough to properly fight. Bringing up the rear is a woman, wielding a spear and jabbing back at their assailants.

They make it to the center of the road, followed and harried by eight kobolds.

Woman with Spear: [roll0]
Kobolds 1-8: [roll1] +2 each
Pierno: [roll2]
Goldcap: [roll3]
Krommar: [roll4]
Elizabeth: [roll5]

Order will be edited in once I see the results.

22-Kobold
22-Kobold
22-Kobold
20-Pierno
18-Kobold
17-Kobold
16-Kobold
15-Kobold
14-Spear Lady
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar
3-Kobold

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 02:54 PM
Three of the kobolds, faster on the draw than the others, rush forwards.

Two of them manage to get the woman down and bleeding, while the last moves a little further and attacks the man, cutting him down.

22-Kobold
22-Kobold
22-Kobold
20-Pierno Is Up
18-Kobold
17-Kobold
16-Kobold
15-Kobold
14-Spear Lady [Dying]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar
3-Kobold

Jyps
2023-11-16, 05:51 PM
“You ugly goons! Cut it out!”

Piemo shoots an arrow at any kobold he sees!

Then, if possible, he will move and try to use his body as a sort of shield to protect the kids.

(please, DM, assign which target feels right)
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] piercing

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 05:54 PM
The kobold who cut down the man is in turn cut down by the projectile. But the others gang up on Pierno, hurling sling stones at the halfling.

22-Kobold
22-Kobold
22-Kobold
20-Pierno
18-Kobold
17-Kobold
16-Kobold
15-Kobold
14-Spear Lady [Dying]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar
3-Kobold

[roll0]
[roll1] Bludgeoning damage

[roll2]
[roll3] Bludgeoning damage

[roll4]
[roll5] Bludgeoning damage

[roll6]
[roll7] Bludgeoning damage

And a death save on spear lady: [roll8]

NontheistCleric
2023-11-16, 06:18 PM
Goldcap points a finger in the direction of the fallen spearwoman and opens her mouth. An inhuman, metallic jangling issues forth, like a thousand coins falling in a stream, crashing against one another. To the woman prone on the ground, it is invigorating, but the kobolds feel the sound rattle nauseatingly in their innards.

Bonus action to cast Healing Word on the spearwoman: [roll0]

Action to cast Toll the Dead on one of the kobolds standing above her. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the kobold takes [roll1] (if HP is full) or [roll2] (if HP is not full).

Kobold's Wisdom save: [roll3] (apply modifier as necessary).

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 07:21 PM
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [-1]
22-Kobold
20-Pierno Is Up
18-Kobold
17-Kobold
16-Kobold
15-Kobold
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar
3-Kobold

The kobold shrieks a little, but stays standing. They don't appear to have noticed that the woman is reinvigorated.

Illven
2023-11-16, 10:09 PM
Elizabeth for her part takes aim at the kobold group in the back.

Alright, no time like the present. Let's see if this works! Targeting shot! She cries out as a purple dart flies from her crossbow and explodes by the kobolds seeming to guide people's weapons to them.

Casting Faerie fire on the 5 kobolds in the back, then ducking around a corner if possible.

Dex save DC 14

JNAProductions
2023-11-16, 10:17 PM
[roll0] +2 each

The kobolds are entirely illuminated, easy marks now.

22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [-1]
22-Kobold
20-Pierno Is Up
18-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]
17-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]
16-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]
15-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar
3-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]

sandmote
2023-11-17, 12:23 AM
Further away than the rest of the group, Krommar sees them fighting, takes his longbow, and looses it. He then does his best to make his way toward the children to help protect them.

He's ten 10 feet behind for every round spent dashing, so I'm hoping he's within 150 feet of the kobolds with his bow.

[roll0] to deal [roll1] damage. Hoping all the kobolds have the same AC.
Iff he's 151 to 600 feet away and we're bothering tracking that, [roll2] for disadvantage.

Edit: I'll go ahead and say a non-illuminated target, because I remembered that directly after hitting post.

JNAProductions
2023-11-17, 12:35 AM
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [-1]
22-Kobold
20-Piemo
18-Kobold [Under Faerie Fire]
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar

Krommar's arrow barely goes wide.

"The light! Hit the light-lady!" one of the kobolds who charged forward yells. Showing an unusual amount of bravery, he charges for Elizabeth. The rest of them pelt her with sling-stones.

Kobold is Disengaging and charging Elizabeth, to get Pack Tactics.

Then, two slings:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Jyps
2023-11-17, 04:37 AM
The halfling Piemo gets hit in the head by a bunch of rocks. “Oww!”

Still slightly dizzy, he tries to shake it off and then shoots another arrow against one of the illuminated foes.

Then, he whispers to the kids “Hurry now, younglings, find a safe spot to hide!”

Bonus action – Second Wind: regain [roll0] hp.
Atack rolls: [roll1], advantage [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] piercing

JNAProductions
2023-11-17, 12:19 PM
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold
20-Piemo
18-Kobold [Dead]
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar

The next set of kobolds switch up their fire, two on Elizabeth, one on Piemo.

But then, the kobolds that came forward are surprised by the spear-wielding ladies healing, and are unprepared for her to fight again.

Elizabeth Attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Piemo Attack:
[roll4]
[roll5]

Spear Lady:
[roll6]
[roll7] Advantage
[roll8]

NontheistCleric
2023-11-17, 12:34 PM
Goldcap continues her coin-chant, harrowing the remaining kobold not caught in the purple fire and healing the fallen man.

Bonus action to cast Healing Word on the man: [roll0]

Action to cast Toll the Dead on the third kobold from the top (the still-alive one). On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the kobold takes [roll1] (if HP is full) or [roll2](if HP is not full).

Kobold's Wisdom save: [roll3] (apply modifier as necessary).

Just realized I screwed up the kobold save the first time, but I guess it doesn't matter that much, since it only took 1 damage and died right after.

JNAProductions
2023-11-17, 12:36 PM
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [-3]
20-Piemo
18-Kobold [Dead]
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar

The kobold cringes, but survives.

Illven
2023-11-18, 08:33 AM
Elizabeth from her cover, takes aim at one of the faerie fired kobolds and opens fire.

[roll0] Adv [roll1]
[roll2]

sandmote
2023-11-18, 03:28 PM
Krommar hurries forth to stand between the kobolds and the civilians He looses another arrow on his way, this time at one of the glowing kobolds.

[roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2] damage.

JNAProductions
2023-11-18, 04:38 PM
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [Dead]
22-Kobold [-3]
20-Piemo
18-Kobold [Dead]
17-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
14-Spear Lady [+6 HP]
12-Goldcap
7-Elizabeth
3-Krommar

With only three kobolds left, they seem much less inclined to keep up the fight. The injured kobold starts to flee.

Unless you give chase, the fight is over.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-18, 04:56 PM
Goldcap moves over to the man and bends down to check on him.

"Hey, you alive? I used half my magic on you. Please be alive."

Illven
2023-11-18, 11:48 PM
Did...did you perhaps try checking for a pulse? Elizabeth asks concerned holding her crossbow close.

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 01:22 AM
The man had 4 HP total and 2 HP left when he took 6 damage.
Alas.

The man is dead.
The children seem to be too in shock to cry.
And the woman is leaning on her spear.

Illven
2023-11-19, 01:29 AM
Elizabeth will wordlessly close his eyes if they are still open, and pulls out a cloak to give him some measure of decency.

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 01:35 AM
The woman looks at the man. "No... Cuth..." she lets out. She looks down at her children, who are starting to realize what's going on. "Come on-we have to keep moving," she says, moving to put herself in between the children and their father.

For the players who haven't played with me before-the below spoiler is a Perception DC 14 spoiler.
You may either:
Use Passive Perception
-or-
Roll active Perception

But not both.

Additionally, sometimes the spoiler will have more spoilers within it, at higher DCs.

The woman is muttering curses and invectives at the kobolds, swearing vengeance. But she's keeping herself as composed as she can for her kids.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 01:59 AM
"Is there somewhere you can hide?" Goldcap asks the woman. "We'll help you get there."

She channels the last of her healing into Piemo.

"I'm starting to think that dragon might be beyond us, but we can do that much."

Healing Word for Piemo: [roll0]

Illven
2023-11-19, 08:40 AM
Yeah my plan A was to never to fight the friggin dragon. Liz points out.

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 12:41 PM
"The keep-the keep should be the safest spot in Greenest right now," she says. "It's the only place that has proper defenses."

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 01:08 PM
"Right," says Goldcap, setting her shield in front of herself. "Just keep the kobolds on the opposite side of us from yourselves. Let's go."

She forges ahead towards the keep.

Jyps
2023-11-19, 01:27 PM
”Thank you for the healing magic, Lady Goldcap”

Piemo is upset they couldn’t save the guy.

“Yes, let’s move to the keep.”

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 01:49 PM
The woman, who at some point introduces herself as Linan, takes point. She leads you through some smaller alleys and roads, and while there are a few close calls with raiders, you eventually make it to the keep. There are guards out front, yelling and trying to maintain order, as a few townsfolk are brought inside. Linan shouts "We're here! Please, let us in!"

The guards are closing the gate, and you all barely make it inside before they're sealed.

"Mom... Are we gonna be okay?" one of the kids asks.

"We're safe for now," Linan replies. "Thank you," she adds to you four. "We'll... We'll find someplace to be out of the way."

One of the guards, who's lagging a little behind the others, looks to you all. "Can you fight?" he asks. "If you're able to, head upstairs to the parapet. Governor Nighthill and Castellan Escobert can use everyone that can at the moment."

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 03:26 PM
"Oh, look," says Goldcap, "we ended up fighting the dragon anyway."

She heads for the stairs.

"I hope it's vulnerable to painful magic ringing noises."

Illven
2023-11-19, 03:52 PM
The woman, who at some point introduces herself as Linan, takes point. She leads you through some smaller alleys and roads, and while there are a few close calls with raiders, you eventually make it to the keep. There are guards out front, yelling and trying to maintain order, as a few townsfolk are brought inside. Linan shouts "We're here! Please, let us in!"

The guards are closing the gate, and you all barely make it inside before they're sealed.

"Mom... Are we gonna be okay?" one of the kids asks.

"We're safe for now," Linan replies. "Thank you," she adds to you four. "We'll... We'll find someplace to be out of the way."

One of the guards, who's lagging a little behind the others, looks to you all. "Can you fight?" he asks. "If you're able to, head upstairs to the parapet. Governor Nighthill and Castellan Escobert can use everyone that can at the moment."

This is so not a good idea..... Elizabeth grumbles as she starts to head upstairs.

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 03:55 PM
You make your way up. The dragon is not currently attacking the keep, though archers are prepared for the moment it comes to do so again.

You see two people who look in charge-an old man, maybe in his sixties or seventies; and a dwarf, with thick red hair and an iron ring full of keys. The dwarf looks to you as you make the ascent. "Hail!" he calls. "You're not from the guard-can you fight?"

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 04:33 PM
"We can all shoot well enough," says Goldcap. She lays her shield on the floor and readies her crossbow. "Some of us better than others. I can also make weird noises that hurt people, and probably dragons too. If that doesn't sound very impressive, well, it isn't. But I already used up most of my holy magics healing people."

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 04:46 PM
"We need all the help we can get," the old human says. "I'm Governor Nighthill, and this is Castellan Escobert. We've been trying to find people who can move more freely away from the keep-if you are willing to help, we will be eternally grateful."

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 04:59 PM
"Oh, I see," says Goldcap. "Sorry, your man downstairs made it sound like you needed help fighting up here."

She picks her shield back up.

"What do you need us to do outside the keep?"

sandmote
2023-11-19, 05:09 PM
Krommar, having been significantly quieter than during the earlier trip, looks up. "I'm ready to provide whatever aid I can. I studied to fight dragons specially," he motions to his bow, "and I'm perfectly comfortable in a sortie," he continues, motioning to his axes.

"I assume the priorities are to gather more civilians, secure any magical weapons they'd be able to use, and to put the foe onto the back foot either on the field or in their camp. What do you need help with specifically?"

JNAProductions
2023-11-19, 05:20 PM
The Castellan talks next. "We've a variety of things that could help. There's an old tunnel, underneath the keep-we can use that as another way to let civilians in, much safer than the front entrance. We've seen smoke coming from the town's mill-they might be trying to take our food stores away. And there's a temple of Chauntea, bound to be full of innocents."

It's currently 9 PM.
Each mission will take about an hour, accounting for travel times and such. You can also spend an hour to take a Short Rest, of course.

Illven
2023-11-19, 05:52 PM
I think we should try to rescue the priests. Elizabeth suggests.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-19, 06:07 PM
"I think we should do the tunnel first," Goldcap says. "Not much good rescuing people if we don't have a way to get them to safety."

JNAProductions
2023-11-20, 01:26 AM
The Castellan nods. "The tunnel would be the best starting point. Here," he says, and leafs through the keys on his ring. "Take this key-it's to the gates down there."

Jyps
2023-11-20, 07:21 AM
Back when the party first entered the keep:

“Thank you lady Linan, for leading the way. I’m deeply sorry for your loss.”
From one of his pockets, Piemo produces a small spinning top toy, carved in gray pear-wood, and gives it to the kids. He feels responsible for the death of their father. The beginning of his hero journey is already tainted with failure.

Then later, atop the parapet,
While the party talks to Governor Nighthill and the Castellan Escobert, the halfling adventurer sits down on the floor and takes off is travel boots.
“These old boys needed some fresh air.”

After hearing the Governor and Castella, Piemo would much rather rush to the temple. After all, Chauntea is the deity that blessed his village with bountiful harvest.
But he keeps quiet and follows the party to the tunnel, ready to fight whatever monsters there may be in the way. This time, barefoot.

JNAProductions
2023-11-20, 01:44 PM
Castellan Escobert gives you further directions so you know where to get to the tunnel. As you approach the underground, you see a lot of debris and disrepair.

You reach the tunnel's entrance, and start to clear the doorway. But as you work, there's a steadily increasing chittering noise. You keep a weary eye for any danger, your perceptiveness rewarded when the rats start to swarm.

Init Rolls:

Rats: [roll0]
Elizabeth: [roll1]
Krommar: [roll2]
Goldcap: [roll3]
Piemo: [roll4]

21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm
14-Rat Swarm
6-Piemo

Illven
2023-11-20, 09:28 PM
Elizabeth will simply aim her crossbow at the nearest swarm hoping for a mutlihit.

Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-11-20, 09:29 PM
21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm [-6]
14-Rat Swarm
6-Piemo

The swarm loses a few members, but the hungry rats continue undaunted.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-20, 09:33 PM
Goldcap sounds her death-spell at the same swarm Elizabeth shot at.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on the swarm. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the swarm takes [roll0] necrotic damage.

Swarm's Wisdom save: [roll1] (apply modifier as necessary).

JNAProductions
2023-11-20, 09:38 PM
21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm
14-Rat Swarm
6-Piemo

The swarm is unperturbed.

sandmote
2023-11-21, 04:22 PM
In the close quarters of the tunnel, Krommar keeps his axes at the ready. Once the swarm is upon them he's ready to cut down the rats. "Nasty Things."

Action: for 1d6+3[/roll]
Bonus Action: [roll1] for [roll2]

JNAProductions
2023-11-21, 06:50 PM
21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm [-15]
14-Rat Swarm
6-Piemo

The first swarm, thoroughly thinned, disengages for their burrow holes.
The other one, though, swarms Piemo and starts biting and gnawing at him.

[roll0] for [roll1] piercing damage.

Jyps
2023-11-21, 08:18 PM
“Gah!” Piemo hops quickly to dodge the bites. Thanks to Goldcap’s light magic, he doesn’t need a torch, making his hand free to draw his trusty short-sword.

“Bite my shiny metal sword!” he swings against the pile of swarming rodents.

JNAProductions
2023-11-21, 08:25 PM
21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm [-15, Fled]
14-Rat Swarm [-4]
6-Piemo

A few rats perish, but the swarm continues on.

Illven
2023-11-22, 12:48 AM
Liz takes another shot at the second swarm. Everyone doing alright? She calls out.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-11-22, 12:51 AM
21-Elizabeth
18-Goldcap
16-Krommar
15-Rat Swarm [-15, Fled]
14-Rat Swarm [-8]
6-Piemo

Gonna start making it so all players acting before the next NPC can just go.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-22, 08:13 AM
"I'm fine, but Piemo's a little scratched up!' Goldcap calls back. She casts her spell again.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on the remaining swarm. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the swarm takes [roll0] necrotic damage.

Swarm's Wisdom save: [roll1] (apply modifier as necessary).

JNAProductions
2023-11-22, 12:25 PM
The bell tolls, and many of the rats fall prey to its villainous tones.

The remaining rats get the heck out of dodge.

You take a moment to catch your breath and ensure that no further hostile creatures are about. Once you feel safe, you can examine the gate door. Whoever tries the key finds it jammed shut-it'll take a little work to open.

DC 10 Dexterity [Thieves' Tools] check to get the door open.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-22, 12:42 PM
"You'd think an emergency passage would be better maintained," Goldcap says, withdrawing the useless key. "It's up to you, then, Elizabeth. Need any divine assistance?"

If Elizabeth wants, Goldcap will cast Guidance on her before trying to open the lock.

Illven
2023-11-22, 01:11 PM
Elizabeth beams warmly. I certainly won't say no.

Theives tools [roll0]
Guidance [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-11-22, 01:29 PM
The lock takes mere moments for Elizabeth to get open. The gate is still a little rusted and slow to open, but a good knock from someone's shoulder pushes it open. It squeals from the rust, and stays in the position you leave it.

Just beyond the gate is a small stream, trickling in from elsewhere. You follow it upstream, and as you start to see sunlight, move more carefully and stealthily. Just poking your head out of the tunnel, you see some raiders searching the streambed-six kobolds, and two more taller robed figures.

Illven
2023-11-22, 02:15 PM
Elizabeth gestures to her crossbow before pointing up at the robed figures.

Jyps
2023-11-22, 02:34 PM
whispering: “Those guys in robes are bad news, but they are nothing without their minions. Let’s shoot the kobolds full of arrows first, and maybe the robes will surrender?”

The halfling looks to the skies worried, and whispers

“If the Dragon doesn’t find us first.”

NontheistCleric
2023-11-22, 02:39 PM
"I wouldn't assume anything about the ones in robes," Goldcap says. "But I agree we should kill the kobolds first. At least we have their measure already."

sandmote
2023-11-22, 10:44 PM
"Assuming the dragon is their leader, I expect the kobolds are less likely to surrender, at the least," Krommar adds, quietly. "If we're all agreed, everyone ready?"

Jyps
2023-11-23, 06:23 AM
“Yup, ready to send these uglies back to Tiamat”

Piemo will stand up and move away from the party, trying to get the monster’s attention.

“Oy!”

He will, of course, shoot an arrow.

“Best regards from the halfling village!”

If there is a tree stump, a big rock, or any kind of large object withing his 25ft. of moving speed, Piemo will try to move behind it, for any sort of cover.

JNAProductions
2023-11-23, 11:19 PM
[roll0] +1 each, for the robed
[roll1] +2 each, for the koblds

[roll2] Piemo
[roll3] Goldcap
[roll4] Krommar
[roll5] Elizabeth

The arrow strikes true, catching the assailants by surprise.

You've got surprise on these baddies, so first round you get advantage and they cannot act.

Init Order:

23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold
15-Robes
12-Krommar
12-Kobold
11-Kobold
7-Goldcap
6-Peimo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

Illven
2023-11-24, 08:21 PM
Elizabeth will open fire at one of the other kobolds.

Attack [roll0] adv [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

sandmote
2023-11-25, 12:56 AM
Krommar still has his axes ready in the close quarters of the tunnel, and does his best to charge to kobolds nearest the group.

Action: [roll0] to deal [roll1]
Bonus action: [roll2] to deal [roll3]

NontheistCleric
2023-11-25, 01:05 AM
Goldcap makes the cry of the golden bell, then ducks behind the tunnel entrance for cover.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on a kobold. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the kobold takes [roll0] (if at full HP) or [roll1] (if not at full HP) necrotic damage.

Kobold's Wisdom save: [roll2] (apply modifier as necessary).

Movement to move behind the tunnel entrance.

JNAProductions
2023-11-25, 01:52 AM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [-3]
7-Goldcap
6-Peimo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

Three of the kobolds are down by the time the shock value is gone, leaving half of them (one injured) and the robed figures left to fight.

Illven
2023-11-25, 08:53 AM
Elizabeth will now focus fire on the robed figure before seeking cover.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-11-25, 01:42 PM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [-3]
7-Goldcap
6-Peimo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

Her shot goes wide, and the figure goes after Krommar with a curved blade.

[roll0]
[roll1] Slashing Damage

sandmote
2023-11-25, 05:49 PM
"No wizardry, with those robes?" Krommar sounds genuinely surprised as he returns the cloaked figure's blow.

Action: [roll0] for [roll1]
Bonus Action: [roll2] for [roll3]

JNAProductions
2023-11-26, 01:39 AM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [-3]
7-Goldcap
6-Piemo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

The robed figure, a man underneath the hood, just snarls a wordless battle cry in response.

A kobold slings a shot towards Krommar, the sun no longer bothering their sensitive eyes.

[roll0]
[roll1] Advantage
[roll2] Bludgeoning

NontheistCleric
2023-11-26, 01:56 AM
"Don't give them ideas!" Goldcap calls, peeking from behind her cover to enspell another kobold.

Movement out of cover.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on the kobold at -3 HP. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the kobold takes [roll0] necrotic damage.

Kobold's Wisdom save: [roll1] (apply modifier as necessary).

Movement back behind cover.

Jyps
2023-11-26, 11:55 AM
“Hyap!”

Piemo shoots another arrow against one of the kobolds.
Then he will try to move near Krommar.

Talking to the robed man:
“This wont end well for you, buddy! Better surrender now, while you have the chance!

Arrow attack against Kobold #4

JNAProductions
2023-11-26, 01:26 PM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [Dead]
7-Goldcap
6-Piemo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

Another kobold falls. The remaining kobolds seem ready to cut and run, but the robed figure that's not engaged in melee for the moment yells "You'll be fed to the dragon if you run!"

They ready their slings, and the second robed figure moves in to Krommar.

Kobold Slings, on Elizabeth and Piemo respectively:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Robes on Krommar.

[roll4]
[roll5]

Illven
2023-11-26, 05:06 PM
Ah, **** **** Elizabeth snarls as the sling leaves a nasty mark on her shoulder.

I can barely aim! She snarls focusing on the first robed figure.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-11-26, 05:10 PM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes [Dead]
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [Dead]
7-Goldcap
6-Piemo
6-Kobold
4-Kobold
2-Robes

The robed figure drops, leaving just two kobolds and one robed figure.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-26, 09:43 PM
"You heard that, kobolds?" Goldcap shouts, stepping out into sight. "Your bosses don't care about your lives. They'll feed you to a dragon or to us. You'd be better off looking out for yourselves. Just run away! Run away from this city. Run away from this stupid battle."

Movement out of cover.

Action to Persuade: [roll0]

sandmote
2023-11-26, 09:54 PM
Bloodied by this point, Krommar tries to deal with the other robed figure before he gets any more injured.

Action: [roll0] for [roll1]
Bonus Action: [roll2] for [roll3]

Jyps
2023-11-27, 06:44 AM
With his trusted short-bow, the halfling Piemo shoots another arrow aiming at a Kobold.

Attack: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-11-27, 11:26 AM
23-Elizabeth
19-Kobold [Dead]
16-Kobold [Dead]
15-Robes [Dead]
12-Krommar
12-Kobold [Dead]
11-Kobold [Dead]
7-Goldcap
6-Piemo
6-Kobold [Dead]
4-Kobold
2-Robes [Dead]

The last remaining kobold, looking at their fallen comrades, drops their sling. "I surrender! Surrender!"

Jyps
2023-11-27, 11:48 AM
“Good choice, friend! Drop your weapons and come near.”

Piemo will offer the kobold a sip of water from his flask and some dried fruit from his rations.

“Please tell us, did you see people running and hiding somewhere? We need to take them to the keep.”

JNAProductions
2023-11-27, 11:51 AM
The kobold makes no move to pick up their sling, but they don't come any nearer. Their eyes are darting around, and they look spooked as hell.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-27, 08:44 PM
"Well, if he doesn't want to talk, whatever," Goldcap says. "We have two locations already."

"Kick that sling over to us," she calls to the kobold. "If you have any friends, family–find them and leave the city. There will be more death here before the day is out. Run far away, kobold. Traffic no more with dragons and their minions."

JNAProductions
2023-11-27, 08:45 PM
The kobold slowly kicks the sling over. Their aim's not perfect, but it's some distance away from them. "Yes! Yes, mercy," they say. "Never bother you again!"

If no one objects, the kobold starts to run.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-27, 08:54 PM
Goldcap breathes a sigh of relief as the kobold goes. She picks up the sling and stows it in her pack.

"Hopefully that one will make more we don't have to fight," she says. Then she looks her comrades over. "You three need some time to patch yourselves up?"

sandmote
2023-11-27, 10:30 PM
"Yep. I'm used to thieves dropping things as they run, not study warriors trading blows. If you'll let me stay to the rear I can push on, but I don't think I can handle taking another blow."

Jyps
2023-11-28, 11:20 AM
Piemo offers no objection to the Kobold leaving. (Maybe he will turn his life around and become a good adventurer!)

“Yes, Mr. Bitterchest. Let’s huddle back in the tunnel and rest for a bit. I have some ginger root you can chew, it’s quite soothing!”

JNAProductions
2023-11-28, 12:12 PM
You take some time to recuperate, inside the tunnel. About twenty minutes into the rest, one of the keep's guards comes down to see if you died-she's quite happy to see you're not, and heads to report your success to the Castellan.

Anyone who wishes can spend a Hit Die.
Recover your Short Rest resources.
And then, next mission!

Illven
2023-11-29, 01:11 AM
This wound really isn't healing... Liz comments clearly annoyed.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-29, 01:57 AM
"Well, it's only been an hour," Goldcap points out. "You can't expect it to be all better that quickly."

She gets to her feet. "We're doing the temple next, right?"

Illven
2023-11-29, 10:05 AM
"Well, it's only been an hour," Goldcap points out. "You can't expect it to be all better that quickly."

She gets to her feet. "We're doing the temple next, right?"

Liz nods empathically

Jyps
2023-11-29, 11:28 AM
Piemo nods in agreement, readying his gear and weapons.

JNAProductions
2023-11-29, 12:49 PM
The rest completed, you skulk your way through the city, angling for the temple. It seems that the raiders are starting to concentrate in areas of resistance, and aren't patrolling so much anymore. As such, you reach the temple without meeting any enemies.

When the temple comes into sight, you see a large group of enemies in front of it, with a ram battering against the door. There's two robed figures operating the ram, a half-dozen kobolds keeping a watch, and a purple-robed figure who seems to have an aura of authority about them.

Before you have a chance to decide whether or not to engage, another group of raiders comes into sight-two more robed figures, ten kobolds, and two drakes, each the size of a large dog. These ones are causing a massive ruckus, trying to keep the temple's civilians and defenders on edge.

sandmote
2023-11-29, 04:07 PM
Krommar's brow furrows. "I once went to do research outside a city with a river forced the attackers to split in two to guard two groups. In one siege, they managed to rout the forces on one bank under the cover of night, forcing the ones across the river to give up the siege. We found some interesting artifacts from a siege on the bank of the river facing the orcish mountains, although of course we can't say they're from the same event."

"If the other group," he says, pointing to the one with the drakes, "is too far away to help, we might be able to rout this one enough they all go back for reinforcements. Or if they're routed, we and those inside might be able to trap them," he points at the group with the ram, "between us and anyone inside willing to fight under better odds."

After another long moment thinking he blushes a bit and adds, "And ideas on how to actually accomplish either thing?"

NontheistCleric
2023-11-29, 10:07 PM
"Let's wait until the noisy group goes around the back," Goldcap says. "Then we focus all our attacks on the one in purple. If routing them is the goal, killing the leadership will probably do that."

Jyps
2023-11-30, 01:55 PM
The halfling, Piemo, agrees with the plan. When the noisy group goes around the back, he shoots an arrow against the purple-robes person.

“Hyaaap!”

NontheistCleric
2023-12-01, 02:06 PM
Goldcap moves out of the alleyway and into the street. Once within range of the purple-robed figure, she crouches down behind her shield, waiting for the others to stick them full of projectiles before she looses her spell of ruin.

Move out of alleyway 20 feet to be within Toll the Dead range of Purple Robes.

Ready action to cast Toll the Dead on Purple Robes after all other party members have tried attacking him. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, Purple Robes takes [roll0] (if at full HP) or [roll1] (if not at full HP) necrotic damage.

Purple Robes's Wisdom save: [roll2] (apply modifier as necessary).

Illven
2023-12-01, 10:40 PM
Elizabeth will immediately open fire on the purple robes

Attack [roll0]
Adv [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

sandmote
2023-12-02, 06:05 PM
Krommar looses his bow as well. "Here's hoping this works."

[roll0] to deal [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-12-03, 01:25 AM
Elizabeth
Kobold
Krommar
Purple Robes [-14]
Kobold
Kobold
Kobold
Robes
Robes
Goldcap
Kobold
Piemo
Kobold

Hurt but not down, peppered with two of the projectiles, the purple robed man yells "Get them!"

Illven
2023-12-03, 02:10 PM
Everyone, open fire! Liz shouts out as her crossbow shoots a trail of purple and blue sparks hitting the group of draconic minions.

[Casting Faerie fire, and then getting to cover.]

JNAProductions
2023-12-03, 02:45 PM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [-14, Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold

Saves
Kobolds: [roll0] +2 each
Robes: [roll1] +3 each
Purple: [roll2]
DC 14, right? Will edit who fails once I post this.

The kobold that's the quickest to react hurls a sling stone at the nearest target.

[roll3] for [roll4]

You guys can properly determine who's closest.

sandmote
2023-12-03, 05:41 PM
"Ah, better lighting!" Krommar nocks another arrow, and tries again to hit the enemy leader.

Action: [roll0] or [roll1] to deal [roll2]

JNAProductions
2023-12-04, 01:19 PM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold

The purple robed figure drops dead to the ground. The kobolds, dealing with the bright lights surrounding them and the death of their leader, hesitate. The other robed figures quickly remove the ram's covering from themselves, and draw their blades.

With the outrageous success of Faerie Fire and the timely death of the leader, you have a moment's reprieve. But make good use of it-you are still outnumbered!

NontheistCleric
2023-12-04, 09:24 PM
"See, kobolds?" Goldcap shouts. "We are more powerful than your leaders! Flee or perish!"

She refocuses her spell onto one of the robed figures.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on one of the robed figures. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the robed figure takes [roll0] (if at full HP) or [roll1] (if not at full HP) necrotic damage.

Robes's Wisdom save: [roll2] (apply modifier as necessary).

Jyps
2023-12-05, 06:44 AM
my intimidation: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-12-06, 01:27 PM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold

The kobolds cower, but don't flee. One of them throws a slingstone towards Piemo.

[roll0]
[roll1] Disadvantage
[roll2]

Jyps
2023-12-07, 07:17 AM
“Oww!”

Once again, Piemo is hit in the head with a rock.
But not without returning fire!

JNAProductions
2023-12-07, 12:28 PM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Robes [Fired]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold [Dead]

The kobold falls to the ground, dead.

sandmote
2023-12-07, 08:06 PM
Once he's able to get another arrow out, Krommar looses it at one of the cloaked figures.

[roll0] or [roll1] to deal [roll2]

Illven
2023-12-07, 10:49 PM
Elizabeth will fire at one of the robed figures.

Attack [roll0] Adv [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

JNAProductions
2023-12-08, 12:11 AM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Dead]
Robes [Fired, -5]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold [Dead]

The kobolds contribute their slingstones, but don't move forwards. "Cowards!" one of the robed people cries, but he too hesitates a moment as he sees his comrade take an arrow to the neck.

Fearful as he might be, he still charges ahead.

Robes:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kobolds:
[roll2]
[roll3] Disadvantage
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6] Disadvantage
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9] Disadvantage
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12] Disadvantage
[roll13]

They'll go in order of nearest to furthest, ignoring anyone who's downed.

NontheistCleric
2023-12-08, 01:34 AM
"Waukeen, just let this spell kill someone already!" Goldcap shouts.

Action to cast Toll the Dead on the wounded robed figure. On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, the robed figure [roll0] necrotic damage.

Robes's Wisdom save: [roll1] (apply modifier as necessary).

JNAProductions
2023-12-08, 11:05 AM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Dead]
Robes [Fired, -5]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold [Dead]

The spell does not.

A kobold adds another sling shot to the mix.

[roll0] Straight Roll thanks to Pack Tactics
[roll1]

Jyps
2023-12-09, 09:23 AM
Piemo shoots an arrow against the remaining robed figure.

Advantage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] piercing

JNAProductions
2023-12-09, 01:07 PM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Fired]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Dead]
Robes [Dead]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold [Dead]

The robed figure bites it.

sandmote
2023-12-09, 04:45 PM
"You want to join them in the afterlife?" Krommar shouts at the kobolds, continuing the hail of arrows.

[roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2]

Illven
2023-12-09, 09:46 PM
Elizabeth will also open fire

Attack [roll0] Adv [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

JNAProductions
2023-12-10, 01:22 AM
Elizabeth
Kobold [Dead]
Krommar
Purple Robes [Dead]
Kobold [-3]
Kobold [Fired]
Kobold [Fired]
Robes [Dead]
Robes [Dead]
Goldcap
Kobold [Fired]
Piemo
Kobold [Dead]

The kobolds, by now, seem to be thinking their chances might be better elsewhere.
They don't drop their weapons, but they start legging it.

You know you don't have much time before another group finds the entrance unguarded. You need to get the people out fast.

Jyps
2023-12-10, 02:35 PM
Piemo will run to the temple and try to find a window or any sort of opening from which he can shout at the people inside:

“Heeey! Castellan Escobert sent us! We got rid of the monsters! Let’s go to the keep, it’s safer there!”

JNAProductions
2023-12-10, 02:52 PM
Piemo, now able to put his head right up against the door, hears the sounds of panic from within.

According to the book, you need a DC 15 Charisma [Persuasion] check to get them to calm down.

I'd assign disadvantage due to talking through the door, but I'd also assign advantage for having stopped the battering ram, so just do normal rolls.

NontheistCleric
2023-12-10, 05:31 PM
"Alright, my Lady," Goldcap mutters, "I can see you don't want me to kill things today... but you can help me calm these people, at least. Come on—I'm sure at least a few are shopkeepers or accountants or whatever."

"You lot in there!" she calls through the door. "We're here to save you, but you need to open this door right now! The path will not be clear of enemies for long!"

Casting Guidance on self before attempting check, then using it on the check.

Charisma [Persuasion]: [roll0]+[roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-12-11, 01:37 AM
There's still some panic audible, but there's another voice inside. A calmer one, a nice tenor.

The door unlatches from the inside. You can see a well-groomed half-elf man gesturing people out. "Quickly, calmly! Chauntea has blessed us with safety for now, but we must not waste it!"

A small horde of people make their way out, and rush for the safety of alleys. You manage to get the message across that they should follow you, as you have a way into the keep.

The half-elf priest is the last one to leave. "Eadyan Falconmoon," he introduces himself. "Thank you, and blessings of Chauntea be upon you."

Back to the tunnel is a harrowing journey, but one that manages to be safe. Two of you take the front, in case rats are back; and two take the back, in case of raiders. But to safety you manage to get them.

Alright. There are some more missions, but considering how much of a whooping you've taken, I think it might be prudent to let them slide.

If you would like, you can take a long rest. If you do so, take the opportunity to also level up! And be ready for the morning.

Jyps
2023-12-11, 01:57 PM
Piemo is mesmerized by the temple. In the midst of all the commotion, he doesn’t really get to take a good look at the interior, but as he helps the people back to safety, the halfing fighter keeps looking back over his shoulder trying to take a peek at some of the sacred symbols.

After all, Chauntea is the deity his family has been devoted to for generations. So far, not one member of the Nivebullo family has had the privilege to step inside a proper temple, so Piemo takes great pride in being near the entrance.

He thinks to himself “One day, I’ll get to tell my children and grandchildren that once I shouted at people inside a beautiful temple of Chauntea! Oh, quit smirking, I was shouting nice things!

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 09:38 PM
You return to Governor Nighthill and Castellan Escobert, letting them know what you did. You're given great thanks, and Nighthill offers his chambers for you to rest in. "They're the most comfortable place in the keep-if we get more civilians in, you might need to make more room, but for now, it's yours."

With a quick thanks to him for that, you retire to the chambers. They're not overly decorated, but they are quite homey and cozy. Eventually, you manage to get some rest.

Morning comes sooner than you'd like. A guard you don't recognize awakens you, with a panicked "Hurry! Please, hurry!"

You're lead to the front of the keep, where you can see through arrowholes a tall humanoid figure. He stands perhaps seven feet tall, with scaly blue skin and pronounced fangs. "People of Greenest!" he shouts as a squad of kobolds fan out behind him. "You have fought well, if futilely, and I am feeling generous. These weaklings," he gestures, and some of the kobolds bring forward a woman in a bloody tunic, a teenaged boy, similarly dressed, and two children, not quite so bloodied. "will be yours... If you send a champion to face me! If you refuse, well..." he licks his lips, his tongue long and serpentine, "they won't like the results."

One of the guards calls out. "Jenny! Jenny, we'll make sure you're okay!"
The woman gives a shaky nod at that.

The guard who called out starts to walk forward, clearly intending to fight the raider.

You've seen these guards fight. You know that, unless this blue scaled dude is all hot air, this guard is dead.
You've a chance to intervene-one of you can choose to step up in his place. The fight will not be easy-you'll almost certainly lose, in fact. But you've got much better odds of living through it, at least.https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/0/0d/Langdedrosa.jpg

Illven
2023-12-12, 09:55 PM
Moron! Elizabeth whispers grabbing the guard. First find out what he means. She whispers.

Combat by champion to first blood, unconsciousness or death? She calls out to the blue boy.

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 09:59 PM
"We will fight till one of us can fight no more. One-on-one. Man against man," he says, seemingly oblivious to the fact that a woman is asking him. "I suggest making a decision soon, though-the offer stands till first light."

The man Elizabeth grabbed stops a moment, looking at the horizon. The sun is nearly risen. "I will not let my sister die," he tells you.

NontheistCleric
2023-12-12, 10:05 PM
"You seem honorable enough," Goldcap calls to the blue figure, "but what guarantee do we have that your servants will honor this compact if our champion defeats you? Surrender the young man to us, as proof of good faith. You will still have the dearest and most innocent held in your hands."

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 10:08 PM
He nods, and gestures to the kobolds holding the teenager. They let him go.

The young man looks to the other prisoners. Jenny says something, too quiet to be heard at this distance, and he runs for the safety of the keep.

"You have my word, and the boy-but you will send your champion now."

NontheistCleric
2023-12-12, 10:17 PM
"One won, three to go," Goldcap mutters, ushering the boy past her to into the keep. She unbuckles her shield with its big golden Waukeen on the front. "Anyone need a shield? I’m sure my Lady would be happy to get hit in the face in your place."

Illven
2023-12-12, 10:21 PM
Liz simply grabs the shield. Welp this is going to hurt. She comments immediately growing a foot, to somewhere about 6 and a half feet.

As the boy runs past her, she casts Cure wounds.

Cure wounds [roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 10:24 PM
"Ha! A woman to fight for your woman-Jenny must be embarrassed for you!" the draconic man says. "To arms, then," he adds, drawing a massive sword from a sheath.

[roll0] Elizabeth
[roll1] Blueman

Illven
2023-12-12, 10:29 PM
Elizabeth draws her skimpy rapier.

And in a streak of brightest red thrusts the enhanced rapier towards the brute.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 10:30 PM
The rapier hits nothing but the thick splint armor beneath his robes. He laughs, lightning crackling on his breath, and retaliates with his blade.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Illven
2023-12-12, 10:33 PM
"Why won't you work!" Liz muttered at her rapier giving it a good shake before a second thrust as her shoulder is slammed into by the blade.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

JNAProductions
2023-12-12, 10:34 PM
This time, the rapier pierces the armor, drawing slightly orange blood from his shoulder. He lets out a wordless snarl, and slashes back, one high, one low.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Elizabeth falls to the ground, bleeding heavily. "Heh. Barely a challenge," the scaled man says. "But my word is my word-let them go."

The kobolds release Jenny and the children, who rush for the keep. The man turns and walks away, unconcerned with what happens to them now.

Illven
2023-12-12, 10:40 PM
Elizabeth gurgles on the ground.

NontheistCleric
2023-12-12, 10:44 PM
Goldcap runs to the fallen Liz. She puts one hand on the image of Waukeen on the shield’s front and the other on Liz’s forehead, channeling divine power into her body.

"Be alive, be alive… alright, you're alive. Can you walk? Do you need someone to carry you?"

Cure Wounds on Liz: [roll0]

Illven
2023-12-12, 10:56 PM
Elizabeth very unsteadly gets up.

Everything hurts. Why am I on the ground....?

NontheistCleric
2023-12-12, 11:04 PM
Goldcap helps her to her feet.

"Oh, you know… giant scaly fellow, big sword… but they let the people go. I’m not sure what exactly he’s trying to do… I doubt they’re going to pull back on the general siege and murder."

Illven
2023-12-12, 11:07 PM
Goldcap helps her to her feet.

"Oh, you know… giant scaly fellow, big sword… but they let the people go. I’m not sure what exactly he’s trying to do… I doubt they’re going to pull back on the general siege and murder."

Maybe it's just a general raid? I mean for like supplies and such.....I'm probably concussed, is it harvest season?

NontheistCleric
2023-12-12, 11:41 PM
"Well, smoke from the mill suggests they might be trying to burn supplies instead of steal them… but we’ll have to see for ourselves when we get there."

Jyps
2023-12-13, 08:11 AM
Feeling like a coward, Piemo watched the fight from an arrow slit with tears running down his eyes.
He thinks to himself: “I failed you this time, my friends. But next time, I’ll be a better hero.”

Piemo tries to find Governor Nighthill to see if he can be useful at anything.

sandmote
2023-12-13, 11:43 AM
Stumbling out from the isolated room where he spent the night, Krommar is horrified to see the situation. "I should have been here. I'm better trained with my axes, and you young ones don't have the experience with taking blows."

JNAProductions
2023-12-13, 01:15 PM
Governor Nighthill has come down with Castellan Escobert, with two guards flanking them. The governor speaks first, saying "We've been seeing them fall back. Not a retreat-they likely accomplished whatever goals they had. But our town is safe for the moment. What happened here?"

There's a brief explanation, with the governor looking towards where the guard, Jenny, and the children are hugging and crying. "I see," he says, and walks towards Elizabeth and the rest of you. "Thank you, for putting your life on the line. I'm glad that you had a healer with you. But I believe we still have some restorative potions-that will help in the future, and I have a feeling you'll need them more than we will."

The Castellan sends someone to grab the potions, and talks to you all. "We need to find out who was behind this attack, so we can be prepared for the future. I hate to ask any more of you, but the forces of Greenest will be needed here. We can provide any equipment you might need, and I'm sure the governor can arrange for a reward."

Nighthill nods. "I don't know exactly what funds we have left, but I can certainly give at least a hundred gold pieces to each of you, should you take this task on."

As you're talked to, you spy a man with a limp, due to his heavily bandaged left leg, approaching. "Excuse me, but you're sending a group to follow the raiders?"

"If they accept," Escobert says. "They've certainly done enough to be heroes already."

The limping man nods ruefully. "I wish I could've done more myself, but with my injuries... Still, if you are going to go," he addresses you directly, "my master, Leosin Erlanthar, is with them. I hope he's simply infiltrated them, as he's been following their trail and learning about them for months. But, his staff and the choker he always wore were found broken. I fear for his life."

At some point, you are approached by the priest you rescued from the temple. "Hello there, sir and madam!" he says. "I am Eadyan Falconmoon-you might remember me from the temple. I want to give you thanks, for rescuing my flock and me. If you and your friends are willing, I could give a small boon to your journeys."The Castellan, when the matters are settled, finds you. "A warrior needs their rest. The fact that your friend took the blows you could have does not make you any less of a hero. Just be glad she's still with us-I've had people who were brave as she is, but not so lucky."When their tears are not flowing quite so freely, Jenny and her family find you. "Thank you," her brother says first. "I... I don't think I would've survived the blow that took you down."

Jenny also offers "Thank you. I can't imagine how much bravery it took to step up."

The children and the teen give their own thanks.

"If you ever need something we can give," Jenny continues, "please don't hesitate to ask. You saved us all."

Alright, some loot time.

You get two ordinary Healing Potions from the Governor.
The Castellan opens the armory for you, which has access to a total of 1,000 GP worth of mundane gear. I'll let you decide what'd be best for the party, but the total cannot exceed that 1,000 GP mark.

Additionally, Piemo is being offered a small ritual by Eadyan Falconmoon, the priest from the temple. Should you accept, he will bless you with a basic boon.
You can invoke this boon on any d20 roll, to add 1d6 to the result. This may be done after rolling. Once used, it's gone.

Jyps
2023-12-13, 04:40 PM
“Master priest, sir, what a great honor to meet you!”

Piemo is blushing and stumbling on words, trying to avoid the gaze of Falconmoon’s beautiful eyes.

“I will accept the boon, but only if it wouldn’t be better used in favor of someone in greater need.”

JNAProductions
2023-12-13, 04:54 PM
The spoiler was just to make clear who's approaching which PC. No need to spoiler the rest!
And, of course, y'all are free to read each other's spoilers. No skill checks needed. :P

Also, Jyps-is Piemo gay? I didn't see anything about that in his backstory, so if he is, just lemme know so I can drop appropriate romantic sideplots.

"I'm no master!" he replies. "I'm merely a vessel for Chauntea's bounties. And I see no one about worthier than you and your friends for this. Besides which, it might not be the easiest thing to do, but it's something that I personally can do to help Greenest stay safe. I'm not much of a fighter, nor a sneak. I've got a level head, a good sense of what the gods will, and not much else."

He looks you straight in the face, eye-to-eye. "Thank you. I truly mean it."

Illven
2023-12-13, 04:59 PM
It is no problem. I'm just glad you're safe. Elizabeth assures the family.

How are you holding up, it's been an awful night.

JNAProductions
2023-12-14, 01:35 AM
"I'll be okay," Jenny says. "But the children... I'm worried how this will affect them in the future."

Illven
2023-12-14, 09:24 AM
I think the only thing to be done, is to be there for them. Liz says sadly.

sandmote
2023-12-14, 04:58 PM
Krommar sighs. "A warrior perhaps and someone of my age certainly, but if any of us were to get so unlucky, I'd rather it were me than young ones with so much left behind. I have already lived a full life, even if I have not accomplished my life's work, and it would certainly be more honorable for me to have fallen than her."

Krommar is very happy to see the armor available. "On the budget of someone digging up relics for a living, this is truly an honor. Much better for my safety, and lighter too!"

JNAProductions
2023-12-15, 01:44 AM
The Castellan helps you get situated with your new gear. He tells Krommar "This is actually one of my old suits-haven't had cause to wear it, and I'm certain I'd need time to get adjusted to it again. But wear it well-wear it with pride."

Once you've got your equipment, the priest performs a small ritual. You feel a brief moment of power in you, which then settles in, a small reserve waiting for the right moment to be used.

Outside Greenest, the tracks are obvious. The raiders made no attempt to hide their wagons coming in, as they came after the initial wave, and no real attempt has been made to obscure their parting.

DC 15]The outgoing tracks cut deeper into the ground than the incoming tracks, as if the wagons were much heavier.

sandmote
2023-12-15, 02:00 PM
Krommar leaves his old armor behind, so he doesn't feel quite so bad about taking something so expensive. Once the group is where the wagons have passed, he points out how to tell outgoing tracks from incoming ones. "If you want to avoid getting lost, follow the deeper tracks back out if there's been artifacts, uh or whatever they've taken, or the lighter ones if you haven't been so lucky."

JNAProductions
2023-12-18, 01:34 PM
You follow the trails, and soon spy some smoke curling into the sky. Proceeding with some caution, you find a small group nestled in the dip of a hill, with a few boulders providing sparse cover. Eight kobolds and four of the robed cultists. All the kobolds are seated in one are, with the cultists in another. The kobolds have their weapons on them, but the others have (rather foolishly) set their weapons in a pile near the fire.

They have some meat skewered over the flames, and no wagons.

Jyps
2023-12-27, 06:21 AM
Piemo waits for Liz’s magic, then shoots an arrow against one of the illuminated kobolds!

Jyps
2023-12-27, 12:29 PM
And before you can catch your breath, another arrow zooms towards another kobold!

[roll0]
advantage: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

sandmote
2023-12-28, 12:39 AM
Without waiting to see if the first hits, Krommar looses an additional arrows, at one of the remaining outlined koboolds.

[roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2]

The kobold falls to the ground, becoming a glowing image mixed among the silhouettes of everything already lying there.

Jyps
2023-12-28, 05:53 AM
The kobolds were loitering around when suddenly an eerie outline of colorful light coated their skin from head to toe. With surprised looks on their faces, the little draconic creatures were just about to start bickering and blaming each other for this weird novelty (Did you touch the magic thing? Did you break the magic thing? Do we even have a magic thing? Who the frack messed with the magic thing?!)

But sadly, they didn’t have the time.

As the volley of arrows showered down, they would have become even more confused, but dying saved them the effort.

Jyps
2024-01-02, 01:36 PM
Goldcap whispers “Waukeen, give me your guidance.”

Action to cast Toll the Dead on any foe that is wounded.
If there are none wounded, then against a healthy kobold.

On a failed DC 13 Wisdom save, they will suffer:
If wounded: [roll0] necrotic damage
If healthy: [roll1] necrotic damage

Wisdom save: [roll2] +any bonus they might have.

JNAProductions
2024-01-02, 01:41 PM
21-Kobold [Dead]
21-Cultist [Fired]
21-Cultist [Fired]
20-Kobold [Dead]
20-Cultist [Fired]
16-Cultist
15-Elizabeth
15-Goldcap
14-Kobold [Dead]
12-Kobold [Dead]
10-Kobold [Fired]
9-Kobold
5-Kobold
4-Piemo
3-Krommar
3-Kobold

The cultists scramble for their gear, grabbing their weapons and moving up towards the nearest target.

They aren't gonna attack unarmed, so they have to Dash to grab their gear.

Jyps
2024-01-02, 01:45 PM
Before the party scatters into combat, Goldcap casts Bless, granting a magical boon to Elizabeth, Krommar and Piemo.

Feeling blessed!
Whenever you make an attack or saving throw, remember to add 1d4 to the roll!

Jyps
2024-01-02, 01:51 PM
Piemo attacks one of the illuminated Kobolds "Eat arrow, you creep!"

Advantage: [roll1]
Blessed: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

sandmote
2024-01-04, 02:19 PM
Moving on from the Kobolds, Krommar takes a moment to loose an arrow at one of the cultists, before they have a chance to fall upon Liz as a group.

[roll0] adv [roll1] for [roll2]

JNAProductions
2024-01-05, 12:43 AM
21-Kobold [Dead]
21-Cultist [-4, Fired]
21-Cultist [Fired]
20-Kobold [Dead]
20-Cultist [Fired]
16-Cultist
15-Elizabeth
15-Goldcap
14-Kobold [Dead]
12-Kobold [Dead]
10-Kobold [Fired]
9-Kobold
5-Kobold
4-Piemo
3-Krommar
3-Kobold [Dead]

Three of the kobolds sling their stones at the party, mostly at random, while the four cultists, now armed, charge ahead.

Slings:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Swords:

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]

Jyps
2024-01-05, 12:40 PM
Goldcap’s eyes glitter with what can only be described as an eerie form of excitement.
At last! Waukenn blessed her with a wounded enemy to toll bells for!

Action: Toll the Bells – against the wounded cultist.
Damage: [roll0] necrotic
DC 13 Wisdom saving throw: [roll1] + any wisdom bonus the cultist might have.

Illven
2024-01-12, 09:11 PM
Elizabeth will fire her crossbow at the first injured cultist.

Attack [roll0]
Adv [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

JNAProductions
2024-01-13, 12:36 PM
21-Kobold [Dead]
21-Cultist [Dead]
21-Cultist [Dead]
20-Kobold [Dead]
20-Cultist [Fired]
16-Cultist
15-Elizabeth
15-Goldcap
14-Kobold [Dead]
12-Kobold [Dead]
10-Kobold [Fired]
9-Kobold
5-Kobold
4-Piemo
3-Krommar
3-Kobold [Dead]

The remaining cultists raise their hands in surrender, dropping their weapons. "We yield!" one of them says.

The kobolds snarl at their allies' cowardice, and keep up the attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Three slingstones, coming your way.

Jyps
2024-01-13, 01:35 PM
The sling bullets rain down hard on the halfling Piemo. His head is bruised and bleeding.
“Oww! You creeps again with those horrible rocks!”

The young fighter drops his bow and lunges at the kobolds with his short-sword.
Hyaaap! I won’t go down so easy!

Attack: [roll0]
Bonus Action – Second Wind! Regains [roll2]

sandmote
2024-01-14, 02:30 PM
"Then hold still," Krommar calls as he looses another arrow at another kobold, which sails past harmlessly.

Attack Roll: [roll0] for [roll1]

JNAProductions
2024-01-14, 02:44 PM
21-Kobold [Dead]
21-Cultist [Dead]
21-Cultist [Dead]
20-Kobold [Dead]
20-Cultist [Fired]
16-Cultist
15-Elizabeth
15-Goldcap
14-Kobold [Dead]
12-Kobold [Dead]
10-Kobold [Fired]
9-Kobold [Dead]
5-Kobold
4-Piemo
3-Krommar
3-Kobold [Dead]

The cultists back away from the melee, arms still up in surrender.

Jyps
2024-01-14, 03:57 PM
Goldcap will cast the cantrip, Toll the Dead, against the remaining Kobold.
“You may not be dead yet, but I mourn you in advance.”

The kobold suffers [roll0] necrotic damage…
If they fail a DC 13 wisdom saving throw, rolled here: [roll1] + any eventual wisdom modifiers.

Illven
2024-01-17, 09:11 PM
Liz will also fire her crossbow

Attack [roll0]
Attack adv [roll1]
Bless [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

JNAProductions
2024-01-17, 11:50 PM
The last of the kobolds drops, leaving only the surrendering cultists.

sandmote
2024-01-18, 09:38 AM
Krommar keeps his weapon up, his other hand hovering at the top of his quiver. "Let's see faces, and step away from your weapons. To the side, please."

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]

JNAProductions
2024-01-18, 10:57 AM
They obey, moving slowly to avoid startling anyone.

Jyps
2024-01-19, 07:31 AM
“You lousy goons!” Piemo can’t help but let his boiling anger spill out, his eyes watering. “You hurt a lot of people back in Greenest. Good people died!”

“And what for? So that you could steal grain? Coin?”

His voice lowers, but his face is flushed red with hatred.

“What did you gain from all of this?”

JNAProductions
2024-01-19, 11:50 AM
"We were told to look for loot! Gold, gems, other valuables," one of them answers. "We're preparing to honor the Dragon Queen!"

Jyps
2024-01-20, 07:06 AM
“Very well then, let’s see if your queen comes to post bail. You are all coming back with us to Greenest, to face their justice and pay for your crimes."

Piemo will proceed to tie up the hooded bandits, enlisting the help of his allies.

If time allows it, he will rummage through their belongings looking for anything of significance.

Not to over-extend my welcome in piloting this character, but I notice Goldcap can cast Detect Magic. If possible, I’d like her to do that in trying to find any stolen magical stuff with the cultists. Also, if anyone needs to make a skill check, Goldcap has the Guidance cantrip, which can be a helpful boost.

Jyps
2024-01-22, 06:00 AM
Even though these are slackers lagging behind the main group of raiders, Piemo is still suspicious they might have stolen something of value from Greenest.
To the best of his ability, the halfling will frisk the bandits uprooting pockets and pouches. He will confiscate any coin he finds.

“These will be given to the victims families.”

Aiding the search, the cleric Goldcap will cast Detect Magic, scanning whatever trinkets are produced from the inner folds of the evil doer’s robes.
“Waukeen, grant me the vision.”

After all is done and properly searched, Piemo will propose that the group marches back to Greenest, to deliver the prisoners.
“They ought to have Justices and witnesses.. Better than to leave these creeps out in the wild.. What do you say, Krommar? Elizabeth?”

JNAProductions
2024-01-22, 09:50 PM
The cultists have a small smattering of coins-not much.
The arcane sight reveals nothing either.

So, the module assumes you're going on ahead and investigating the main gathering.

If you want to send them to face justice, send Goldcap alone, please. After securely tying up the prisoners.

sandmote
2024-01-23, 10:58 AM
While Goldcap is performing the ritual for the spell, Krommar switches to his axes and weighs the options. "I know dragons love treasure, but they love lording over others too. Are you sure a dragon queen isn't most honored by making you lunch? Of course, no one leading an army to gather loot you would tell you that..."

After a moment, he fixes an eye of the captives and continues. "Where were you supposed to meet up after pillaging the town?"

JNAProductions
2024-01-23, 12:09 PM
"There's a camp ahead-near a plateau. They've got a rearguard, set up to stop people like you," one of them replies.

Jyps
2024-01-25, 07:32 AM
Well, then.. On a second thought..

Piemo ponders, holding a firm grip on the rope tying the prisoners.

Maybe we ought to hurry on to find the bad guys at the plateau, before they move on to the next city.

He points to the surrendered cultists.

These two knaves here.. I propose we leave them here tied to a rock or tree. A justice officer will eventually travel down the road and find them, right?

Piemo hopes the party agrees to the plan. He wants to move along and is not in a mood to haul prisoners.

Piemo agrees to any plan that moves the story forward.