PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon: I Want To Be the Very Best Group Two

Paladin12
2023-11-14, 12:51 PM
OOC thread.
Link to IC https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?661943-Pok%E9mon-I-want-to-be-the-very-best-group-2
(Rule Interlinking Threads)

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-14, 01:02 PM
Out of curiosity, I assume this is one of the first times you've gotten to DM a Play By Post game, but I might be mistaken?

Since this is the part where people pick out colors for posting, Dragon is typically associated with Dark Blue, so I'll claim Navy if no body minds?

So, a Cowboy, an Island Girl, and a Nerd walk into a bar. Then they each say oww. XD

Got any ideas on how the gang gets together? Or leaving that on us to figure out?

Stealing the table, just for easy sheet reference.

Player
Character
Pokemon
Classes
Timezone

DasIrrlicht
Scott "Scotty" Walker (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ZVfLc92YkpKSd0V1k5DZGoTgd_VIn8jb0t-uj9NHYM), nearly 20-ish
Igglybuff (Normal/Fairy)
Chef; Type Ace (Normal)
?

Kuro Dmon
Katarina "Kat" Silver (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eeNiwxLqdAvCxF0P5iMlomyOJc1lBqoQt8K_PSiFQxs), 16
Axew (Dragon)
Ace Trainer; Duelist; Type Ace (Dragon)
GMT-5 (EST)

Paddywagon Man
Barlen "Barley" Mirando (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s2DM6V3esWyer14Ca0PkpmB15tUCQg_0jjeMS32jcTg), 15
Squirtle (Water)
Coordinator; Tough Expert; Beauty Expert
GMT-8 (BC)

Paladin12
2023-11-14, 01:06 PM
My plan is for everyone to meet in the poke mon center. And yes you were correct. Was it really that obvious?

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-14, 01:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RAcwruG.png

Sheet
Speak-Text
Pokemon
Classes
Noteable Features

Scott "Scotty" Walker (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ZVfLc92YkpKSd0V1k5DZGoTgd_VIn8jb0t-uj9NHYM)
"Bold for Everything"
"Fire-Brick for Scotty maybe"
Igglybuff (Normal/Fairy)
Chef,
Type Ace (Normal)
Oldest of the Group,
Weird relation with the concept of Luck,
Tent-Owner

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-14, 02:05 PM
My plan is for everyone to meet in the poke mon center.

I'll try to sit down soon and set up a post going along with this, then. I woulda staged a battle, but that's just me. :smallwink:

And yes you were correct. Was it really that obvious?

I'm no mind reader; you already stated as such in the opening of the recruitment thread. Just a few things, like not switching it immediately from recruiting to filled, and then the OOC stuff, reminded me. Not that it's an issue or anything, just a note.

https://i.imgur.com/RAcwruG.png

I can't help but notice that this image is different than the one on your sheet. Are you one of the few blessed with the ability to actually draw? Because that's radical!

... I wonder how attached Paddywagon is to that photo of the former 10 year old, if one of us could get him a different one...

Paladin12
2023-11-14, 02:15 PM
As I said, thank you for the advice. It has been really helpful.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-14, 02:16 PM
I can't help but notice that this image is different than the one on your sheet. Are you one of the few blessed with the ability to actually draw? Because that's radical!

... I wonder how attached Paddywagon is to that photo of the former 10 year old, if one of us could get him a different one...
No, but I do know how to edit existing images and am a avid defender of picrew_dot_me.
To be fair, its not like 'Cowboy' has ever gone out of style in the Pokéverse. Even the most radical outfit is considered a fine deal.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-14, 07:39 PM
Sorry for the delay; I'm working on my addition now. Just to be clear, are we meeting right at Pallet Town in a Pokemon Center they (presumably) have? Or Viridian, since it seemed like most of us are travelers? Re-reading it, it says Pallet, so pardon me for the mistaken assumption.

Although I suppose I can still ask, since it looks like you have us transferring from the Center to the Lab as an additional step, and I'da been down with running directly to the Lab itself....

No, but I do know how to edit existing images and am a avid defender of picrew_dot_me.
Ah. I tried checking the site before I passed out, and it looks like you still needed to be able to draw some how? I guess there are more ways of doing it than I could see at a glance, though. Honestly, now I wanna do more game stuff just so I can have a reason to test what characters I can attempt to "create" on my end, too...

To be fair, its not like 'Cowboy' has ever gone out of style in the Pokéverse. Even the most radical outfit is considered a fine deal.
Taking this out of the cheeky color thing I was doing; I wasn't saying anything against the Cowboy part. I was just wondering if they'd considered a different image that looked a bit older, and less photo realistic...

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-14, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the delay; I'm working on my addition now. Just to be clear, are we meeting right at Pallet Town in a Pokemon Center they (presumably) have? Or Viridian, since it seemed like most of us are travelers? Re-reading it, it says Pallet, so pardon me for the mistaken assumption.

Although I suppose I can still ask, since it looks like you have us transferring from the Center to the Lab as an additional step, and I'da been down with running directly to the Lab itself....
I assume the 'Pallet Town Pokécenter' exists. It would make sense to. The games just have no need for it because of the player house.

Ah. I tried checking the site before I passed out, and it looks like you still needed to be able to draw some how? I guess there are more ways of doing it than I could see at a glance, though. Honestly, now I wanna do more game stuff just so I can have a reason to test what characters I can attempt to "create" on my end, too...
I personally used this one (https://picrew.me/ja/image_maker/626197/complete?cd=XzYg4eghu1) but there is countless options. And I speak not a lick japanese, so its user friendly enough I think. Nearly any picture you click will bring you to the maker used to make it. And the makers are all made by artists. The makers are essencially very big dressup games. Some with more options, some with less options.

Taking this out of the cheeky color thing I was doing; I wasn't saying anything against the Cowboy part. I was just wondering if they'd considered a different image that looked a bit older, and less photo realistic...
I was thinking more like 'Its an archive photo, and they had no reason to change their style since then'. I am absolute fine with just a text description.

Paladin12
2023-11-14, 08:50 PM
There is a Pokémon center.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-14, 11:02 PM
I'll take Golden Rod!

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-14, 11:04 PM
I'll take Golden Rod!
A city big enough for the three of us! :smalltongue:
Welcome Welcome!

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-15, 05:29 PM
A city big enough for the three of us! :smalltongue:
Welcome Welcome!

Took me a minute. Very Cowboy colored. XD

.... half tempted to set my tech back up and see what my prompts look like if I add "Cowgirl" to them.

2 Quick Questions: Paladin, are you waiting for a response from us to move us? If so, I'd be *happy* to add an additional one moving on, since unless Dave is feeling like picking on Notch, I'm not sure if we want to start a battle here.

And to the group in general, should I Bold Kat's text as well to match? It's been a minute so I'm not used to that being standard protocol; in the past I've seen it added conditionally, some used it in lieu of color, and such. I even had a character who talked in shrunken italicized text because she was the quiet shy type. Just curious.

Paladin12
2023-11-15, 05:35 PM
I would prefer everyone to get Inyo the Pokémon center before I post. You can fight if you want.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-15, 06:06 PM
unless Dave is feeling like picking on Notch, I'm not sure if we want to start a battle here. Dave is smart enough to learn from his mistakes and not attempt to fight in the hospital. He wants it done properly. I was tempted to go with the 'Fairy preys on Dragon' angle but decided to instead go more for a innate competitiveness with no 'now' attached and more of a 'once the time feels right'.

And to the group in general, should I Bold Kat's text as well to match? It's been a minute so I'm not used to that being standard protocol; in the past I've seen it added conditionally, some used it in lieu of color, and such. I even had a character who talked in shrunken italicized text because she was the quiet shy type. Just curious. The bolding of my side is just a stylistic choice so I can easily pick out any and all spoken stuff. As far as I can tell, no standard protocol there.

I would prefer everyone to get Inyo the Pokémon center before I post.
Everyone is actually. Scotty started in it after having slept there for the night, Kat arrived there tired with their mon eating the trainers hair & Barley is standing in the door hyped to get to go on the journey.

Paladin12
2023-11-15, 06:18 PM
Dave is smart enough to learn from his mistakes and not attempt to fight in the hospital. He wants it done properly. I was tempted to go with the 'Fairy preys on Dragon' angle but decided to instead go more for a innate competitiveness with no 'now' attached and more of a 'once the time feels right'.
The bolding of my side is just a stylistic choice so I can easily pick out any and all spoken stuff. As far as I can tell, no standard protocol there.

Everyone is actually. Scotty started in it after having slept there for the night, Kat arrived there tired with their mon eating the trainers hair & Barley is standing in the door hyped to get to go on the journey.

I am so sorry, got confused. Posting now.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-16, 02:21 PM
Hope its okay to have joy do the plausable thing in order to free Scotty up to join the conversation?

Paladin12
2023-11-16, 03:41 PM
Yes! If it moves along the posts you can briefly control unimportant NPCs

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-16, 04:37 PM
Just a quick heads-up, it's not easy to read Lyra's light blue text, could you possibly use a slightly darker shade or else make it bold?

Otherwise really happy to be playing, looking forward to the adventure!

Paladin12
2023-11-16, 05:16 PM
I”ll use a darker blue.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-16, 06:20 PM
Out of curiosity, is this the Lyra from the series? Or is this a new character with the name of Lyra? Weirder coincidences have happened (like 2 Drakes who train at least 1 high level Pseudolegendary Dragon).

Also, I legit don't know what is meant by "trim" with the "trim the Squirtle" comment. I didn't think they had hair to be trimmed...

Paladin12
2023-11-16, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I meant train. And I did not know there was another Lyra, so no.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-16, 06:37 PM
Sorry, I meant train.
Heh. I put my posts through a Word Editor to try to make sure they're edited properly, and I still end up catching mistakes, so no biggie.

And I did not know there was another Lyra, so no.

Yup! Technically 2ish (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lyra), but the first one's (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lyra_(anime))way more prominent in the Pokeverse.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-18, 10:05 AM
I gladly accept! she says as she walks out side. Ruki come on.
Time to put on a 'Johto Trainer Battle Theme (https://youtu.be/qOwlXfzPEng)' and face the little orb that will.
I assume we go by League Initiative from page 227 core, and in order to not bloat IC to much, just declare the trainer half of my turn and the technical stuff in OOC.

That is, Scotty is at 5 Speed most certainly the slower trainer, I think. They will declare Focused Training as a order and can actually not do anything else this whole battle then repeat this action over and over again. So for all purposes, my trainer turn won't ever change. So this one is more so formality.

Dave the Igglybuff will take their turn after Ruki, as a result of both abysmal Speed and the fact that they currently run around with Stall and are as such automatically last. (And since their turns actually matter, I will describe them in IC once they come around.)

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-18, 02:17 PM
Time to put on a 'Johto Trainer Battle Theme (https://youtu.be/qOwlXfzPEng)' and face the little orb that will.
Woooow this goes hard. Thanks for the new song; gonna add this to my collection immediately! XD

------------------------------------------------------------------

On one hand, Notch doesn't have any moves that are even remotely effective yet. On the other, he'd also resist most stabs used here (thankfully the Fairies are dueling). So we can go either way on who we fight.

As for our combat features, Kat can cheerleader for Notch with Focused Training and Duelist Features, though Notch is way faster than she is.... I forget how the order stuff works, but it's the starting fight; we can't exactly do much beyond "Just use Tackle".

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-18, 08:21 PM
maybe we should keep a consistent post that updates with people's speeds to make it easy?

currently Barley has 15, Kowalski has 4, what's the full initiative count look like? And do we want to focus down one opponent first?

Paladin12
2023-11-18, 10:23 PM
Yes, that would be great!

Paladin12
2023-11-18, 10:27 PM
I believe it is Barley/Lyra, Notch, Ruki, Treble, all other trainers, Kowalski, Lily, Dave.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 05:06 AM
I believe it is Barley/Lyra, Notch, Ruki, Treble, all other trainers, Kowalski, Lily, Dave.
I tought it was Barley/Lyra, Kat, Scotty; and then the pokémon in their usual order so; Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki], Cyndaquil [Treble], Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave].
Being it is a casual battle and not a full-contact thing. Going from the first page of the combat chapter on that assumption. Correct me if I am wrong there.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 05:21 AM
I have different rules for this, trainers have a different turn that is on their speed, to use any features they have.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 06:57 AM
I have different rules for this, trainers have a different turn that is on their speed, to use any features they have.
So Full Contact Initiatives. Good to know.
So its Barley, Lyra, Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki], Cyndaquil [Treble], Kat, Scotty, Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave] then.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 09:22 AM
Yes, that is the case.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 02:45 PM
My apologies for keeping us waiting, then. Little out of it, and (if I'm to be honest), a new release dropped yesterday that stole all my focus.

I also admittedly thought we were gonna have 3 separate battles unfolding at the same time, so that one side wouldn't gang up on the other once a battle got decided either way.

In any case, if Notch is up next, I'll do his rolls here.

Scratch Accuracy Check [roll0] vs AC 2 (before any Evasion bonuses Treble might have or just received)
Scratch Damage [roll1]

Wow, both rolls were pretty rough. Too bad this wasn't league based, or Kat could have at least helped a bit with that... I assume a swing and a miss, between needing just a +2 in Physical or Speed Evasion for Lyra's Inspired Training to make that impossible to hit. Made a post, with it open on whether or not it hit or missed, since that's up to the DM now...

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 03:25 PM
I also admittedly thought we were gonna have 3 separate battles unfolding at the same time, so that one side wouldn't gang up on the other once a battle got decided either way.
Assuming the A-Vulpix does not 'cheat' as far as Dave sees it and focuses on anyone but him, Dave is gonna stick to fight the one who he aimed for. And if they do, well, then I just gotta bring out some AoE. Sing can be rather nice in this situation.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 06:24 PM
(OOC: It doesn’t hit.)
Treble, ember that Jigglypuff! Ruki, throw an icy wind at that Axew!
Rolls:
Ember: to hit (roll)1d20(/roll) damage (roll)2d6+18(/roll)
Icy Wind: to hit (roll)1d20(/roll) damage (roll)2d8+17(/roll)x2

Square Brakets. Do not work if edited in afterwards either or if you hit preview, iirc. Have a link to the full explenation: This is how you use the Dice Roller (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=17739288&postcount=1)

Related, you have angered the buff.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 07:23 PM
Yeah, the big one is probably the editing of your post before attempting your roll. This is done so that people can't cheat by modifying a roll of some kind before their post officially exists, or otherwise fake rolls.

It's why I tend to keep OOC commentary OOC, so the IC reads more or less like a novel. If I need to, I might spoil additional stuff under a spoiler tab so it doesn't interrupt the flow of reading. Or if need be, link an OOC post to the text of an IC one.

Related, you have angered the buff.

.... honestly, yeah.. Little salty on my part, too. Scotty (or rather Dave, with Scotty being dragged along) said they were going to challenge one of Lyra's Pokemon. And then Barley called out the Lotad (which frankly seemed kinda brave, since that's an uphill battle for Squirtle). Kat was figuring a fair fight, since she wasn't going to participate against a Pokemon with a guaranteed STAB Super Effective move against her; Cyndaquil and Axew trading Tackles and Scratches would have been a level playing field...

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 07:25 PM
I had a super affective attack! What was I supposed to do!
Ember
[roll0] [roll1]
Icy Wind
[roll2]
[roll3]x2

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 07:33 PM
.... honestly, yeah.. Little salty on my part, too. Scotty (or rather Dave, with Scotty being dragged along) said they were going to challenge one of Lyra's Pokemon. And then Barley called out the Lotad (which frankly seemed kinda brave, since that's an uphill battle for Squirtle). Kat was figuring a fair fight, since she wasn't going to participate against a Pokemon with a guaranteed STAB Super Effective move against her; Cyndaquil and Axew trading Tackles and Scratches would have been a level playing field...
This is half the OOC reason Dave picked on the Vulpix. Getting up against a type disadvantage that gets STAB super effective this early on felt to me like a setup to lose, so the designated rival-mon for the dragon ace could wait till the dragon ace actually had some team-building time. However, I am seeing the positive. The free for all does both justify me going out of the way to attempt to apply some AoE and a bit more so important: It means that they only have one order to hand out to one of their mons at the time. So the Action Economy is a bit in our favour at least.

But yeah, Dave is gonna have to put that Ice-type to sleep. And short of beating them into a knockout before that happens, it is unstoppable at that task.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 07:42 PM
I am going to change the attack to ice shard, which is 16x2 on average. I did not realize it would do that much. I am so sorry, I was thinking that would not kill.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 07:50 PM
I am going to change the attack to ice shard, which is 16x2 on average. I did not realize it would do that much. I am so sorry, I was thinking that would not kill.
Actually, if I am right, a 25 would not knockout. Mainly since defense applies before effectiveness, which means if my numbers are correct thats 40 damage. On a sidenote, the Ember is taken and is not to bad a hurting.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 08:02 PM
You’re right, he would be left at 2 hp. But I am still going with ice shard. Basically, what happened is I wanted to show that most Pokémon trainers actually know the type chart, and will take advantage of it. I now realize fainting a Pokémon on turn one of the game is a bad idea. Please bear with me, I am a new DM, and am trying to get better.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 08:02 PM
I had a super affective attack! What was I supposed to do!

I mean, sincerely? I guess it's a question of whether or not to feel somewhat ignored and confused OOC for how things were squaring up (since, again, Kat and Notch would not have been in the fight if we knew we were going to fight Ruki as well), and whether or not to combine that feeling with questioing trusting Lyra IC. Maybe she got too excited, maybe we should have spent a bit longer clarifying how this was going to go IC (trying not to let PBP games stall), or maybe it's supposed to be a character establishing moment that even while the others are talking about what they were going to do, she had her own ideas in mind.

Dropping it to Ice Shard does help, even if I don't think it technically would have killed. That saiiid.... I did think of something nice to shave the blow a bit, if you're cool with it. Instead of needing Notch to heal, it'd be fun to establish the kind of person Kat is, and still be a viable move in a fight like this since it's a Full Contact fight, to let Kat do an Intercept Ranged for her action as an Interrupt, and take the hit herself. I imagine she's got the Athletics and/or Acrobatics to make it, and while she's not wearing too much herself, she's at least not weak to Ice Attacks.

Edit for Quick Math:

Icy wind: 25 Attack, which gets 5 subtracted from it by Notch's Special Defense = 20, which *then* gets multiplied by 1.5 for being super effective, to end up as 30.
Ice shard: 16 (if that's what it's being set to) -5 = 11 x 1.5 = 17.

Though either against Kat herself would just be 18 and 9 respectively, since she has 7 special defense.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 08:05 PM
That is absolutely fine. Again, I realize that the first battle was not the best time to document that the trainers actually know the type chart.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 08:07 PM
[...]since it's a Full Contact fight, to let Kat do an Intercept Ranged for her action as an Interrupt, and take the hit herself.[...]
I am fairly sure its not a full contact fight and we simply have initiative like this because it is easier for Paladin to work with. Do think that would be a nice character establishing moment however. But I would assume that would make Kat & Notch drop out of the combat, as well as Treble probably cause the other two mons of Lyra in combat would be outright challenged still.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 08:11 PM
That is absolutely fine. Again, I realize that the first battle was not the best time to document that the trainers actually know the type chart.
Sorry for doublepost, but you missunderstood. It is not about the type chart. Not at all. It is about the other expectation: We came in assuming to have, essencially, run three 1v1s instead of one 3v3. Using type advantage is nice, we expect that from at least other Trainers. What Lyra did feels, probably, like a bit of a break of honour to the peeps from the player side. Given, bad communication is in character for her, so I can see it well as a establishing moment as well, at least. A big case of both sides having had differing views on what was to be expected.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 08:17 PM
I am so sorry that I did not communicate that clearly. I have made most battles 3v3 as there are three players. Should I change that?

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 08:17 PM

I'm sorry if I seemed too whinny about it myself. I was just being salty; I told myself "don't just wait while the others fight; be part of the game as well" and didn't clarify exactly how the fight was going to be before doing it. Don't feel bad. We can roll with it.

Heh. I remember a game I played in which my character's only ranged weapon was a dangerous artifact that we found, and we were being attacked by a floating wizard. Because of the way initiative happened, I wouldn't have even gotten a chance to have a turn since those who did have range already forced it to retreat. But I'd already rolled my action before the DM got back to us, and got a Natural 1 on UseMagicDevice to use the thing on the wizard. We started freaking out about me possibly nuking myself on accident, since I needed a 17 or higher to save vs *death* for the amount of damage it could do, and someone argued that my attack shouldn't have even happened the way the turns would have played out.

Followed the Nat 1 with a Nat 20, and Dm agreed my character could emerge from the smoke of the blast unharmed, so I was like "Nah, let's just let it ride. It's more fun for the story." :smalltongue:

Guess I'm doing something like that again here, huh? Kat'll just take 9 damage, assuming my math from before was accurate?

Edit: I missed a bit of posting while working that up. XP
I mean, we can comment about it in character and then work on how we decide it OOC...

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 08:20 PM
Yes, Kat would take 7 damage. Is it ok to continue play?

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 08:26 PM
I'm certainly ready to continue play! And I promise I won't be a cry-baby about tactics and such in the future, either. [we'll] just call this a lesson about making sure we've got the details right, both OOC and IC. :smallwink:

It is Kat and Scotty up next, huh. Most of Kat's is already decided, but she does have one thing she can still do. I think. The Interrupt was a Full Action, so that's lost. But we get 1 Swift Action each round.

Paladin12
2023-11-19, 08:27 PM
Kat, it is your turn. You can use this time to do anything from orders, to use a potion.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 08:37 PM
Kat isn't very hurt, and her main actions are already taken, so it's largely fine. I'm having her use her Swift to establish her Duelist feature, with Cyndaquil still being the Tagged Target. At the end of the round, we'll start gaining Momentum against it specifically, giving us better Accuracy and Evasion as the battle goes on.

I picked Cyndaquil because whether or not this stays as a 3v3 Brawl or just 1v1 1v1 1v1, I think they're still the most even fight. By Kat's *next* turn, we'll see if we need to change targets.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-19, 08:45 PM
And Scotty ordered Focused Training on Dave. Can't do much else anyways. Now to wait on when Paddywaggon Man is online.

Unrelated, Scotty still does not know Kats name I think. Notch, yes, Kat, no. :smallbiggrin: Not saying introduce yourself now. I wonder how long we can keep the joke running of not knowing their co-trainers name until it comes up naturally.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-19, 09:09 PM
Unrelated, Scotty still does not know Kats name I think. Notch, yes, Kat, no. :smallbiggrin:

Heh. Don't think it slipped past my notice. Scotty can just keep calling her "muscle girl" until such time as she's reminded she hasn't introduced herself yet. See if she can blush through that Tan she's got. :smallredface:

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-19, 10:41 PM
Well that's a big old miss from me

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-20, 01:04 AM
Well that's a big old miss from me

Hopefully Dave on our side lands a hit, or that's a pretty bad showing for the PCs all around.

And speaking of missing; I'd like to ask; got any other traits for Barley? I might try and take a swing at generating him.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 01:05 AM
Hopefully Dave on our side lands a hit, or that's a pretty bad showing for the PCs all around.

And speaking of missing; I'd like to ask; got any other traits for Barley? I might try and take a swing at generating him.

I am guranteed to hit with at least 33% of my move!
Once its my turn.

And what I miss is still doing something!

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-20, 02:48 PM

Like, physical traits, you're talking about generating him in Heroforge or something?

And don't worry too much about our showing so far, I disabled Lotad's Absorb and I don't expect it'll be hitting too hard with Astonish - might be worth focusing on the Vulpix first?

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-20, 05:08 PM
Like, physical traits, you're talking about generating him in Heroforge or something?

Something like that, yeah. I generated Kat, and I'm half tempted to take a shot at Scotty and Barley. I figured I'd do Barley first just because his pic was representative of his younger self and is black and white and such. I wonder what the older Barley would look like.

So yeah, got any preferences, aside from being a Cowboy? Eye and Hair Color, athletic or skinny, etc? I don't know how accurate I can get, but I figure I can try while still waiting for my turn to come up again!

And don't worry too much about our showing so far, I disabled Lotad's Absorb and I don't expect it'll be hitting too hard with Astonish - might be worth focusing on the Vulpix first?

If Vulpix aims at Axew again, probably. But after all the kerfuffle I just made about not wanting to fight it at all, I explicitly choose to keep going on the one Kat had already challenged to a duel, even with Squirtle aiming at it as well. By her next turn, Kat will probably have shaken the mindset, at least a little.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-20, 06:19 PM
Feel free to skip the rest of Barley's turns, he'll just be using Brutal Training, not a lot of trainer actions open to the lad.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-20, 06:53 PM
So its Barley, Lyra, Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki], Cyndaquil [Treble], Kat, Scotty, Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave] then.

Quoting this as a reference. Just to be clear. It's now Round 2.

Barely acted. Lyra acted with orders. Ruki and Notch are probably at the same speed to give Ruki the clear to go ahead and go. And you say Treble is already out of the fight?

So it should be Notch, then Kat and Scotty now, right? Just making sure I know what's happening.

Also, what was Dave's action in Round 1? Because I think we might have skipped the little guy...

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-20, 07:14 PM
When did Treble get KO'd? I thought we both missed.

Paladin12
2023-11-20, 07:14 PM
Sorry guys, I got very confused about initiative, and about that attack. If that water type struggle would have hit, it would have taken out treble.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-20, 07:27 PM
You could just delete your last few messages in character, figure out who should be doing what OOC (including seeing who's still conscious), and then setting up another IC message as appropriate? Just a thought.

As for the struggle, it might also be a good idea, when anyone rolls their attack roll, to include what the AC of the Attack is. To hit with Struggle, for example, the roll usually has to Meet or Exceed 4, assuming no other additional modifiers to the attack, be it the Pokemon's Evasion or any Features used to increase or decrease that number.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 08:58 PM
Also, what was Dave's action in Round 1? Because I think we might have skipped the little guy...
You have skipped that guy, and it does gonna throw over you all, cause surprise, I am spending a AP on this move:
Sing!
[roll0] against a AC of 10, targeting all three of Lyras pokémon!
And for Ruki in special: Lullaby, so they are guranteed hit.

Any of Lyras mon that are hit: They sleep!
Any of Lyras mon that are not hit: -2 Evasion!

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 08:59 PM
Sorry guys, I got very confused about initiative, and about that attack. If that water type struggle would have hit, it would have taken out treble.

Its only that one post from Paladin where they attack that needs to go. Struggle has terrible AC so it had missed.
Only post 30+ is out of linecleaned since that other thing was a reaction.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the tripple post:
So, Trebble can not go KO cause Struggle has a AC of 4, even without evasion, it misses. Lyra has not their turn yet, and neither has Riku or Barley. Post 29 was a interrupt, as are all uses of Spite, and not Barleys turn. So posts 30+can be deleted while I use my sing.

Paladin12
2023-11-20, 09:07 PM
You have skipped that guy, and it does gonna throw over you all, cause surprise, I am spending a AP on this move:
Sing!
[roll0] against a AC of 10, targeting all three of Lyras pokémon!
And for Ruki in special: Lullaby, so they are guranteed hit.

Any of Lyras mon that are hit: They sleep!
Any of Lyras mon that are not hit: -2 Evasion!

Yeah no, everyone is hit. Rolling saves for both.
Ruki:[roll0]
Treble:[roll1]

Paladin12
2023-11-20, 09:08 PM
Yes! Luck on my side, when we need it. I’m joking, it was a good use of a move to waste some turns. Bad luck on your side. You did waste both of their turns though.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 09:10 PM
Yes! Luck on our side, when we need it. You did waste both of their turns though.

*Three. Please, clean up posts 30, 31 and 32cleaned so there is no confusion left. Remember, Struggle did miss, cause it has a terrible AC.

Paladin12
2023-11-20, 09:11 PM
*Three. Please, clean up posts 30, 31 and 32 so there is no confusion left. Remember, Struggle did miss, cause it has a terrible AC.

It is not Lily’s turn, so she does not roll a save.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 09:15 PM
It is not Lily’s turn, so she does not roll a save.
Fair enough for Lily. She can roll her save on her turn then.
But it also is not your other two mons turns, most technically yet. First are Barleys trainer turn (Which we can skip cause we know its brutal training and nothing else.) And Lyras turn. And then is notch. Who knows, maybe they wake something up by tackeling into it?

(On that note, Scottys turn is also gonna run on automatic and is gonna be FOcused Training on Dave cause they can not do anything else.)

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 09:35 PM
Quoting myself for reference :smalltongue:
So its Barley(Brutal on Kowalski), Lyra, Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki](Knocked Out), Cyndaquil [Treble], Kat, Scotty(Focused on Dave), Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave] then.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-20, 10:36 PM
I won't post IC until I'm sure, but I'll go ahead and at least roll Notch's next attack. Just trying to keep up (not being helped by my meds at the moment).
I *think* I've got it right, but I can edit or remove that post to redo it if Notch wasn't supposed to go yet.

Dave put them all to sleep, but Ruki and Treble at least made their saves to wake up, then? Am I following?

Notch's Scratch Attack: [roll0] vs AC 2, with that +1 being the start of the Duelist Feature's Momentum. Treble's Evasions, whatever they are, take a -2 from the Sing, if I've got everything right.
Damage if possible: [roll1]

... for the love of Arceus.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-20, 10:54 PM
I won't post IC until I'm sure, but I'll go ahead and at least roll Notch's next attack. Just trying to keep up (not being helped by my meds at the moment).
I *think* I've got it right, but I can edit or remove that post to redo it if Notch wasn't supposed to go yet.

Dave put them all to sleep, but Ruki and Treble at least made their saves to wake up, then? Am I following?

Notch's Scratch Attack: 4 vs AC 2, with that +1 being the start of the Duelist Feature's Momentum. Treble's Evasions, whatever they are, take a -2 from the Sing, if I've got everything right.
Damage if possible: 25

... for the love of Arceus.

Actually, Trebles evasion is fully negated cause they where still sleeping. Paladin just got ahead of themself with wake-up rolls.
That means now should be the Ruki & Treble (asssuming 25 does not knock out the mon) turn, where Ruki wakes up, and after that, Treble can do whatever they want cause the Scratch wakes them before their turn.

And after Cyndaquil did its thing its back to you with Kat.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-22, 06:49 PM
So we're waiting on... Treble, then, if I'm not mistaken and if it didn't faint from the Scratch?

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-22, 11:27 PM
Assuming we didn't scare off poor Paladin; he is running two games in between learning the rules and such.

Not to mention we're nearing holiday time for most people. My family had a birthday to celebrate today, and then pre-loading Thanksgiving for the day after...

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-22, 11:43 PM
Assuming we didn't scare off poor Paladin; he is running two games in between learning the rules and such.

Very fair, yeah. We... Well I, to be honest, do kind of roll over them with a lot of things at once. I wanna throw in a suggestion for initiative the next time we battle, but thats still a bit away.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-22, 11:44 PM
Well I'm certainly enjoying it so far!

And yeah I forgot American Thanksgiving is in December! Hope you all enjoy!

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-24, 10:52 AM
So its Barley(Brutal on Kowalski), Lyra, Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki], Cyndaquil [Treble], Kat, Scotty(Focused on Dave), Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave] then.

So, ember puts Dave below half & Notch is burned. So next in line are Kat, Kowalski, (Potentially still sleeping) Lily, and then Dave again. If anyone has a special request for whom I attempt to pound into the ground, its time to voice it.

Also, congrats to turkeyday you Americans!

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-24, 08:27 PM
Happy Turkey Day to those who celebrate it, indeed.
I'm trying to rebel against it for the sake of starting a weight loss regimen since I'm down with surgery. So much food, so many calories... but that's a personal thing.

.... I can't decide if Kat should be a big eater or not. She's the most athletic person in the party, and you do need to eat to sustain those muscles and a healthy figure, but "anime eating" is so silly... :smalltongue:

Barley probably has a healthy appetite, being all tough and macho... I wonder if Scottie eats right; they cook, but that doesn't always mean they're eating right themselves....

Random Edit: While waiting while bored, I did a thiiiing! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eeNiwxLqdAvCxF0P5iMlomyOJc1lBqoQt8K_PSiFQxs/edit#gid=1966888912)

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-25, 09:24 AM
Barley probably has a healthy appetite, being all tough and macho... I wonder if Scottie eats right; they cook, but that doesn't always mean they're eating right themselves....

Random Edit: While waiting while bored, I did a thiiiing! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eeNiwxLqdAvCxF0P5iMlomyOJc1lBqoQt8K_PSiFQxs/edit#gid=1966888912)
Can confirm, That is a thing.
And well, I would say Scotty eats reasonable. Nothing out of the world. Makes stuff themself, uses herbs and so on plenty, but its all cheap stuff you can find on the shelf simply used right.

Utilising another AP for targeting Ruki.
[roll0]
And assuming its not a nat 1 or 2, it probably is gonna hit: Pound! and it is strengthened by the power of Last Chance, even.
[roll1]
And thanks to the Stall ability, there is nothing that can interrupt it.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-25, 09:26 AM
[roll0]
Nat 20!
AND THATS A CRIT!
[roll0]

Paladin12
2023-11-25, 09:36 AM
KO! Lily is knocked out.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-25, 09:37 AM
KO! Lily is knocked out.

How did I knock out Lily when attacking Ruki?

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-25, 10:09 AM
Can confirm, That is a thing.

I was a little hopeful for feedback there. I know I failed to get the bandaid on the nose (dear lord did Stable Diffusion HATE that, though there might be a Lora for it), and I could get a different variant with a green turtle neck instead of black, but I thought that was at least a nice start... even if it's roughly inconsequential since your created Scotty has so much personality.

Barley I don't quite have much to work with beyond Cowboy, so I just took liberties there. :smalltongue:

And well, I would say Scotty eats reasonable. Nothing out of the world. Makes stuff themself, uses herbs and so on plenty, but its all cheap stuff you can find on the shelf simply used right.

Very practical chef! Maybe that can be the dynamic between Scotty and co: they cook for Kat and Bar, and in the process they have 2 sets of bodyguards who would punch someone who tries to bully the nerd anymore, at least until Scot's Pokemon cover that entirely.

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-25, 10:24 AM
they cook for Kat and Bar
Features are expensive, best I can offer you is effects for your pokémon. Gotta wait till at least level 5 until we get hearty meals that give you extra AP.

at least until Scot's Pokemon cover that entirely.
Dave just punted a fox across a room, despite being outside and there not being a room.

But regarding the thing. i wanna say that looks like Scotty but a bit to professional, with a rather forced smile. It does not reach the eyes, it has the cold feeling... That, and not ambigious enough for them. But thats taste.

Paladin12
2023-11-25, 10:29 AM
Sorry got mixed up. KO! Ruki is knocked out.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-27, 01:54 AM
Features are expensive, best I can offer you is effects for your pokémon. Gotta wait till at least level 5 until we get hearty meals that give you extra AP.

I was thinking more in regard to fluff. Like how in the anime, the groups certainly enjoyed having a dynamic between them. Though with Brock and Cilian it was more of a mentorship sort of thing. Between us, it'd hopefully be a more balanced friendship.

Dave just punted a fox across a room, despite being outside and there not being a room.

Point proven; Dave can hopefully handle anyone who would beat up a nerd all on his own now.

But regarding the thing. i wanna say that looks like Scotty but a bit to professional, with a rather forced smile. It does not reach the eyes, it has the cold feeling... That, and not ambigious enough for them. But thats taste.

I did try for ambiguity in regards to gender, but I do see what you mean. Particularly with the eyes; I *tried* to go for relaxed, since they look fun and chill, but the tech is hard to work with sometimes. I meant to update her profile pic, but I struggled with the bot in regards to not being horny while designing Kat, for instance.

I'll be away from my computer for a week, but I might give that another shot when I get back. Just as something to do while waiting for the next update.

So its Barley(Brutal on Kowalski), Lyra, Axew [Notch], A-Vulpix [Ruki](Knocked Out), Cyndaquil [Treble], Kat, Scotty(Focused on Dave), Squirtel [Kowalski], Lotad [Lily], Igglybuff [Dave] then.

Speaking of which... just to be sure; Kowalski went, Lily's still asleep, Dave just went, and Barley's assumed. So are we back at Lyra and then Notch?

DasIrrlicht
2023-11-27, 09:48 AM
I was thinking more in regard to fluff. Like how in the anime, the groups certainly enjoyed having a dynamic between them. Though with Brock and Cilian it was more of a mentorship sort of thing. Between us, it'd hopefully be a more balanced friendship.
I hope you like bread, gulash made from cheap meat-substitute and a heavy helping of common spices. Fish, pan-fried pizza, fruits in honey... Depends what we end up finding along the way. A kingdom for a Teddiursa.
This does remind me, Mentor along the way may be a good investment. But I should not plan that far along...

Speaking of which... just to be sure; Kowalski went, Lily's still asleep, Dave just went, and Barley's assumed. So are we back at Lyra and then Notch?
Yep, and since paladin has thrown inspired towards the sleeping Lily if I interpret that correctly... Notch time!

By the by, how will we handle XP, for mon and trainers? Or do we go with direct 'You level up to Level X'?

Paladin12
2023-11-27, 11:30 AM
We will do milestone leveling.

Kuro Dmon
2023-11-27, 08:48 PM
Brief head's up: I'm on my first (of 2 within 4 weeks) 1 week trips starting in a few hours. I'll have my phone, and my laptop will be in the hotel room, but I might be a bit slower to keep up for a little bit.

I realize within writing this that I kinda already said it, and it might not even matter if I'm still just waiting turns and checking in once or twice a day, but still.

I hope you like bread, gulash made from cheap meat-substitute and a heavy helping of common spices. Fish, pan-fried pizza, fruits in honey... Depends what we end up finding along the way. A kingdom for a Teddiursa.

... I'm torn on whether or not I want to joke about shipping, with Kat enjoying the cooking enough to kiss the chef. :smalltongue:

Yep, and since paladin has thrown inspired towards the sleeping Lily if I interpret that correctly... Notch time!

.... for some reason, I thought Lyra could help her Pokemon awaken from sleep. I figure if it's fair for Kat to take a dive for Notch, Lyra waking up Lily would be fair if that's in the rules?

Food for thought. Particularly since it doesn't affect Notch trying to put down Treble!

Edit: Max Damage Swing... if 7 is good enough to hit while Cyndaquil's awake.

Paddywagon Man
2023-11-30, 02:29 AM
Is Treble still in the land of the conscious?

Paladin12
2023-11-30, 11:24 AM
Treble is still conscious.

Kuro Dmon
2023-12-02, 09:34 AM
Then, just to be clear, would it be Treble's turn next? Or were we waiting on me again for Kat and I hadn't realized?

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-02, 09:39 AM
Treble is still conscious.

Then, just to be clear, would it be Treble's turn next? Or were we waiting on me again for Kat and I hadn't realized?
If my list is right we are waiting on Treble since Vulpix is knocked out.

Paladin12
2023-12-02, 12:24 PM
Oh god, I am so sorry! I’ll post now.

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-02, 12:36 PM
Can Happen to anyone. Now on to Kat.

Treble runs at Dave, curls up in a ball, annd fires fire downwards, all while yelling Cyndaquil!
(1d20)[1]
(2d6+18)[29]
And proceeds to jump over him!
Ah well, a miss. But even a hit would not have knocked out. Anything short of a Crit on that move would not Knock out Dave, cause Normal Aces are really putting the work in.

Kuro Dmon
2023-12-02, 02:46 PM

Can Happen to anyone. Now on to Kat.

Heh. I've been at amusement parks with family, having as much fun as I can while recovering from surgery. I'm sure as heck not going to be kicking anyone else in the pants over things. :smallwink:

I am, however, going to assume that the 7 was a hit, even if it didn't knock it out just yet. Which will put me to 4 [Momentum; sorry, edit!] by Kat's turn, enough to actually get a use out of expending some of it.

Ah well, a miss. But even a hit would not have knocked out. Anything short of a Crit on that move would not Knock out Dave, cause Normal Aces are really putting the work in.

Heh. I hope the Tough Ace and (future) Dragon Ace will have room to do our parts in the future, too! And maybe this battle if we get a good damage roll...

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-02, 02:57 PM
I am, however, going to assume that the 7 was a hit, even if it didn't knock it out just yet. Which will put me to 4 by Kat's turn, enough to actually get a use out of expending some of it.
Sure, I can work with it. Dave can respect that determined rival thing. However, I can not Sing a second time, so assuming Lily survives the round I wanna be informed if I should use pound on them or if I Simply should tank. Can not Sing again this round am afraid, and Wish is 14 Levels away...

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-05, 09:24 AM
That hits, giving Lily a good spin, before coming back around and firing a bubble that floats up a pops on Dave.

(1d20)[17]
(2d6+17)[25]

Lowers Daves Speed by 1 stage, which means absolutely nothing. However, as mentioned, Dave benefits of ll the normal ace stuff to a extend that means they are not KO yet.
So time to attempt the usual: Pound Lily into oblivion.
[roll0]
[roll1]

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-05, 09:32 AM

So, back to Lyra then This may or may not has Lily knocked out. (Sorry Paddy, I did maybe steal your KO there?)

Paladin12
2023-12-05, 09:38 AM
Physical or special

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-05, 09:40 AM
Physical or special

Pound is Normal Physical, as always. I do not have the features to change that yet. What I got is last chance which is why Dave hits like a Truck, and Type strategist, which is why that littlle guy can take things that would ordinarily knock him out.

Kuro Dmon
2023-12-05, 12:46 PM
Physical or special

.... I just realized, I'd been taking it for granted as heck that I'd not been noting what type of attack I'd been using when I'd been doing my rolls. I guess including the name is nice enough, but Element and Type are also good to remember to reference in the future... I'm using that as a personal reminder for myself, even. Anything that helps make the process easier!

Kuro Dmon
2023-12-08, 05:36 PM
At the risk of posting when I shouldn't have, I just wanted to make sure: are we back at Lyra, or does she have her action picked so that it's Notch's turn again? Since I think Barley's still on his current plan for now, and last I checked Dave went?

DasIrrlicht
2023-12-12, 07:14 AM
At the risk of posting when I shouldn't have, I just wanted to make sure: are we back at Lyra, or does she have her action picked so that it's Notch's turn again? Since I think Barley's still on his current plan for now, and last I checked Dave went?

I think Paladin may burned themself out trying to run two games at once.

Kuro Dmon
2023-12-27, 05:58 AM
I'm really hoping that's not the case, but I definitely know that sort of thing can be hard. Especially once we move into the holiday season.... :smallfrown: