PDA

View Full Version : IDing potions

EphU437
2007-12-11, 09:41 AM
Is there a cheaper way to identify potions than the use of the Identify spell?

Thanks,
Eph

Mr. Moogle
2007-12-11, 09:45 AM
In my group you can do it with a craft (Alchemy) check which DC = 10 + spell level. Or you can just huff the fumes and see what it does :smallwink:

(Disclamer-ey-thing: NEVER DO THIS IN RL YOU WILL END UP WITH -8 TO ALL MENTAL STATS)

Swooper
2007-12-11, 09:47 AM
Is there a cheaper way to identify potions than the use of the Identify spell?

Thanks,
EphGood point. Identify = 100gp, 1st level potion = 50gp. So, Identifying those potions isn't worth it, since it'd be cheaper to buy two potions of whatever you want.

I might houserule it into a skill check. Knowledge(Arcana) with a synergy bonus from Craft(Alchemy) and a bonus for gnomes and races with scent. Not sure what I'd put the DCs at though.

Leicontis
2007-12-11, 09:50 AM
My current GM allows a Knowledge check (Arcana for arcane spells, Religion for divine) to identify the spell in a consumable spell item (potion or wand) if you use Detect Magic and succeed the Spellcraft check to identify the school of magic. Quite useful, considering that unless you have Psionic Identify or Analyze Dweomer in the party, low-level potions cost more to identify than to purchase. I suppose, in a psionics-rich setting, you might be able to pay for a Psionic Identify and get off cheap...

Kurobara
2007-12-11, 09:50 AM
Even without resorting to houserules a Spellcraft check DC 25 does it.

its_all_ogre
2007-12-11, 10:23 AM
damn you beat me to it! spellcraft DC25!!

BlackStaticWolf
2007-12-11, 10:36 AM
I have a chart with a physical description of every type of potion. It includes color, scent, consistency, and taste. Thus, clever players can always remember what potions that fit the description did in the past.

Theli
2007-12-11, 11:18 AM
The DMG allows for the players to sample the potion and recommends that the DM allow some hint to it's effect. (It does this for most magical items, actually.)

It's really up to the DM how much help that want to give the players though.

Prophaniti
2007-12-11, 11:22 AM
Yeah, that Spellcraft DC25 thing that two people posted already... it's in the book. In my games you can't even use the Identify spell to ID a potion, though I do allow Craft(alchemy) to make up for it. Mostly the Spellcraft one though... rarely had a party where SOMEONE didnt have ranks in it.

Miles Invictus
2007-12-11, 12:21 PM
My last DM used labeled potions much of the time and allowed Identify to analyze multiple pieces of equipment simultaneously. I like the idea of a Craft (Alchemy) check (DC = 10 + spell level) or an Appraise check (DC = 15 + spell level).

Prometheus
2007-12-11, 12:46 PM
The DMG allows for the players to sample the potion and recommends that the DM allow some hint to it's effect. (It does this for most magical items, actually.)

I do this all the time, sometimes it is helpful sometimes it really isn't. They had a little bit of the potion Clairvoyance, and I told them they felt a little disorientated and for about half a second they saw double.

They wouldn't try the one that smelt like wet dog (Animal Instinct).

TheLogman
2007-12-11, 02:00 PM
Detect magic gives the school in question, which, if you have a good caster, they'll know what the school means.

Tellah
2007-12-11, 02:31 PM
The Magic Item Compendium (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/107627200) has the Artificer's Monocle for 750gp. Cast detect magic, spend one minute studying the item, and you have all the information that identify would have given you. Every group I've played with gets one of these--I can't imagine playing D&D without it.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-11, 03:42 PM
Think about it like this...

Who has potions? Intelligent people. How do these intelligent people keep track of all their potions? They either use different vials (glass or metal or wooden) or they label them. Let's say you get knocked unconscious, wouldn't you rather your buddies be able to recognize your cure potion than spite some one else that might encounter it? Likewise, if you're selling them in a shop, wouldn't you label the containers so you don't accidentally sell the wrong one?

Chronos
2007-12-11, 05:36 PM
Who has potions? Intelligent people. How do these intelligent people keep track of all their potions? They either use different vials (glass or metal or wooden) or they label them.Yeah, but what's to say that the guy you just beat up and stole the potions from used the same labeling system that your party does? He might use a language that nobody in the party speaks, or he might just color-code them or something (using his own color code that makes sense to him, and which he never bothered to tell anyone else). That'll help if you get a whole lot of potions from the same source, so you can learn what each label means, but it doesn't do you much good when you find a guy carrying just a red bottle, a green bottle, and a purple bottle.

Hunter Noventa
2007-12-11, 05:45 PM
The Magic Item Compendium (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/107627200) has the Artificer's Monocle for 750gp. Cast detect magic, spend one minute studying the item, and you have all the information that identify would have given you. Every group I've played with gets one of these--I can't imagine playing D&D without it.

That's the crafting price. The full price is 1500gp. But it's still one of the most awesome magic items ever. Not just because it's useful, but because it's also a monocle, and those are awesome.

Dark Tira
2007-12-11, 05:49 PM

Unfortunately, Artificer's Monocle only works for Artificers. Most parties have to spring for a Monocle of Perusal which costs 6500gp.

Kami2awa
2007-12-11, 05:51 PM
Yeah, but what's to say that the guy you just beat up and stole the potions from used the same labeling system that your party does? He might use a language that nobody in the party speaks, or he might just color-code them or something (using his own color code that makes sense to him, and which he never bothered to tell anyone else). That'll help if you get a whole lot of potions from the same source, so you can learn what each label means, but it doesn't do you much good when you find a guy carrying just a red bottle, a green bottle, and a purple bottle.

He might; but having worked in a lab I can tell you things can get very, very confusing if not dangerous if you don't label things fairly clearly. (One of these beakers contains distilled water, the other concentrated hydrochloric acid. I really should have labelled them before I went to lunch...)

Nonah_Me
2007-12-11, 07:22 PM
The Cloistered Cleric Varient has identify on it's spell list, and the 100 gp pearl is an Arcane Material Component only. See also the Magic Domain.

DraPrime
2007-12-11, 07:44 PM
The easiest way is by drinking the stuff. Just be sure that it isn't something lethal before you do so. I had a barbarian who accidentally roasted his insides by drinking a whole bottle of alchemists fire. Stupidest character death ever.

Megafly
2007-12-11, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately, Artificer's Monocle only works for Artificers. Most parties have to spring for a Monocle of Perusal which costs 6500gp.

As Written either you "use your Artificer knowledge class" OR cast detect magic and have at least 5 ranks of Knowledge (Arcana)

I doesn't even require Artificer's knowledge to create one. You can substitute the Knowledge (Arcana) 5 for that too

Aquillion
2007-12-11, 09:35 PM
One option is for the DM to give subtle hints. There's lots of ways to do this -- they can be labelled, or there can be something about the potion that gives a hint. It can be subtle, though... the label might be a symbol of a snake for something poisonous, or a picture of a wounded arm radiating light for a healing potion. Alchemist's fire might smell oily or feel unusually warm, healing potions might give off a soothing scent... etc. Of course, not all potions of the same type would have the same 'hints', and sometimes they could be misleading. 'Professional' identification should still be the way to go if you have a way to do it.

kamikasei
2007-12-12, 02:31 AM
Many thanks to the people who pointed out that DC 25 Spellcraft option. Naturally it's not listed under "identifying potions" in the "potions" section of the "magic items" chapter...

Khanderas
2007-12-12, 06:52 AM
The easiest way is by drinking the stuff. Just be sure that it isn't something lethal before you do so. I had a barbarian who accidentally roasted his insides by drinking a whole bottle of alchemists fire. Stupidest character death ever.
Downside to just drink it and be done is when the Wizard drinks a potion of bulls strength. Or a buffing potion out of combat. Or a healing potion when undamaged.

Labelling makes the most sense. I would say that there is a universal system for it (like the Skull and crossbones are for poisons in our world). Now a villain COULD move those around to mess upp his enemies, but I would rather not confuse myself, the plan is for the villain to drink the potion before getting killed himself.

Frankly no reason why a potion of Heroism wouldn't be labelled as such. Healing potions has to be specially labelled (not to mention a standard form so you can find such bottles by touch) because they are... youknow difference between life and death sometimes. And when a mouthful of liquid worth 2 weeks (plus/minus whatever) of hard work for a commoner, you can spend the extra copper for a proper vial.

Soepvork
2007-12-12, 07:02 AM
He might; but having worked in a lab I can tell you things can get very, very confusing if not dangerous if you don't label things fairly clearly. (One of these beakers contains distilled water, the other concentrated hydrochloric acid. I really should have labelled them before I went to lunch...)

<Nerd alert, chemist passing through.>
That's where pH indicator paper comes in :)