PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Taking down a flying ship

Melnir
2023-11-17, 05:56 AM
So long story short we got ourselves into a war with gnomes that are most likely going to attack our settlement with flying ships. Ships should not be Eberron like, so no elementals, most likely magic powered engine based on steam power or something along the lines. I was planning to build an anti-aircraft system with my artificier and I am currently looking into anything that can help me build it.
Control weather/winds are an option but I would not limit myself to it and have some kind of defensive weapon if possible.
Is there any spell that would help us here? Anything from 3.5 sources or pathfinder non 3rd party is allowed so feel free to suggest anything. Creating custom items following item creation rules is allowed folowing suggested prices, so even cheesy can be done. My idea was to create something that could take down ships from a distance, maybe even siege weapons (but I would not be surprised if they had countermeasures). Party also includes a dread necro so if some undead can play a role, they are most likely a possibility.

Thanks for any answer and feel free to ask for any other kind of detail, I'll provide it at the best of my ability (given we don't know much of those gnomes so far).

Inevitability
2023-11-17, 06:27 AM
Are the ships armed with cannons? Ballista? Or are they just troop delivery systems?

Stormwrack's Detect Ships can serve as an early warning system if you need one.

Siren's Call can be a fun save-or-lose to use against the gnomes - it specifically makes creatures aboard a ship throw themselves overboard.

Melnir
2023-11-17, 06:34 AM
Thaks for the suggestions, both actually very good!

Are the ships armed with cannons? Ballista? Or are they just troop delivery systems?

We don't know exactely and are planning to somehow retrieve some form of knowledge, we've been told by a gnome "bye bye, I don't want to be here when fire will rain from the sky" or something very similar, so we assume either fireball (or similar) or alchemist fire/non magical fire attacks. Other kind of weapons are not out of the picutre, but we are assuming this is the most concrete menace.

Inevitability
2023-11-17, 06:41 AM
In that case, the first-level druid spell Cloudburst might be of some help - huge 100 ft. radius and 10 minutes/level duration, extinguishes unprotected flames, reduces fire damage, and worsens ranged attack rolls (though that last one's more of a double-edged sword). Plus it'll plausibly make the ships harder to control.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2023-11-17, 09:18 AM
Call Avalanche is a 5th level Druid spell in Frostburn. It hits a 10 ft. radius/level and drops 500 pounds of snow per 5 ft. square which is created instantaneously so it's permanent. A flying ship suddenly taking on tons and tons of weight in snow is not going to stay flying for very long.

remetagross
2023-11-17, 09:55 AM
What is the ECL of your party?

Melnir
2023-11-17, 12:35 PM
What is the ECL of your party?

We are level 9 but since I am an artificer I can cheese most spells via prestige classes.

Vizzerdrix
2023-11-18, 12:46 AM
You have a settlement? Look up Create Darkenbeast spell. It isn't ideal, but the ability to turn a flock of sheep or other livestock that you already have around into an impromptu air force could be handy. They are stronger at night and every one killed is less loot for the gnomes so that may discourage night raids.

remetagross
2023-11-20, 08:48 AM
Eye of the Hurricane produces a localized hurricane to which you are immune. Scribe a Glyph of Warding from that spell on a pebble, have a summoned air elemental drop it on board of the invading airship, and watch it explode.

Inevitability
2023-11-21, 04:28 AM
Eye of the Hurricane produces a localized hurricane to which you are immune. Scribe a Glyph of Warding from that spell on a pebble, have a summoned air elemental drop it on board of the invading airship, and watch it explode.

Eye of the Hurricane is 4th-level, Glyph of Warding is 3rd-level and lower spells only. You'd need a Greater Glyph of Warding, though I guess that's still barely doable for a level 9 artificer.

SirNibbles
2023-11-23, 08:30 PM
A Cutting Weapon (Far Corners of the World - Cathedral of Leaves: Magic Items of the Woodlands) ignores the hardness of wood and deals 2d6 extra damage against wooden objects and plant creatures with only a +1 price bonus. If your enemies have wooden ships, this is a great way to damage them.

Jay R
2023-11-25, 06:29 PM
So long story short we got ourselves into a war with gnomes that are most likely going to attack our settlement with flying ships. ..., most likely magic powered engine based on steam power or something along the lines.

Don't forget the basics. Dispel magic can be devastating on flying ships ... if you can make the roll.

Bohandas
2023-11-25, 07:38 PM
So long story short we got ourselves into a war with gnomes that are most likely going to attack our settlement with flying ships. Ships should not be Eberron like, so no elementals, most likely magic powered engine based on steam power or something along the lines.

And I take it not Spelljammer either?

We don't know exactely and are planning to somehow retrieve some form of knowledge, we've been told by a gnome "bye bye, I don't want to be here when fire will rain from the sky" or something very similar, so we assume either fireball (or similar) or alchemist fire/non magical fire attacks. Other kind of weapons are not out of the picutre, but we are assuming this is the most concrete menace.

Magical fire attacks have a relatively short range. I feel that alchemist's fire/napalm iz the more likely choice (and in any case the more dangerous to contend with as it does not necessitate negating their range advantage and can't be blocked by spell resistance

The sensible thing for them to use would be lazy dogs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)) like the Laputans in Gulliver's Travels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver%27s_Travels#Part_III:_A_Voyage_to_Laputa, _Balnibarbi,_Luggnagg,_Glubbdubdrib_and_Japan). Doubly so if they have access to someone who can cast Shrink item