PDA

View Full Version : Non-magical, magical weapons?

SangoProduction
2023-11-19, 09:23 PM
In my games, I have Dwarven-Craft, which is basically a dwarf-exclusive version of mastercraft that's, for almost all intents and purposes, is the magical enhancement, but functions even in antimagic field, because it's just incredible mechanical quality rather than magic. (Which, admittedly, basically never comes up, but I like the fluff of dwarves simply being that good at "mundane" craft.)

But I've been wondering if there's anything already similar to this in baseline 3.5 or pf rules.

Buufreak
2023-11-19, 09:45 PM
Check PureSteam and the technological bonus, usually superscripted by a T.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-11-19, 09:50 PM
In my games, I have Dwarven-Craft, which is basically a dwarf-exclusive version of mastercraft that's, for almost all intents and purposes, is the magical enhancement, but functions even in antimagic field, because it's just incredible mechanical quality rather than magic. (Which, admittedly, basically never comes up, but I like the fluff of dwarves simply being that good at "mundane" craft.)

But I've been wondering if there's anything already similar to this in baseline 3.5 or pf rules.Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood has Devices which are this. They require somewhat expensive fuel cells to function (in addition to the items themselves), but you can make any magic item into a Device using the Create Device feat.

ViperMagnum357
2023-11-20, 03:05 PM
Not quite baseline, but if you are okay with licensed material (not OGL), there are a few options. Dragon Magazine 358 has a whole section on mundane improvements to weapons and armor: stuff like +1 damage, bleed on a critical hit, extra HP/hardness, resistance to rust, better AC/ACP/max Dex for armor, stuff like that, nothing world shattering, but moderately priced and non-magical. Oerthblood and Pure Ore from Dragon Magazine can be alloyed with metal while retaining the original properties.

Two campaign specific ones: the Master class from War of the Lance, set in Dragonlance, can create masterwork items with a bonus of up to 5 times standard, for increased price: weapons with +5 to hit, armor with -5 ACP, and tools with +10 to the relevant skill, all non-magical. Finally, in Rokugan, the sourcebook Magic of Rokugan has the Master Smith class, which can rework ordinary steel into Rokugani Steel, for a sizable price. Rokugani Steel has 4 grades above masterwork: the best has more hit points than standard (30/30/30/35 per inch), the upper three have improved hardness (10/15/15/20), and all have a natural enhancement bonus of +1/+2/+3/+4, similar to Baatorian Greensteel.

Put together, you can create steel weapons and armor with raw stats exceeding a hundred thousand GP worth of magical enhancements, while being entirely non-magical.

For example, you could have a Rokugani Steel/Pure Ore/Oerthblood alloy Longsword, created by a Master with the Artisan Craftsman feat (Razor Sharp, Serrated, Basket Hilt, Blood Groove, Folded Metal). the result is a non-magical weapon with +6 attack (+5 masterwork overlaying the natural +4 enhancement bonus, +1 luck), +6 damage (+4 enhancement, +1 razor sharp, +1 luck), +4 to resist being disarmed, bleed 1 damage for 1d4 rounds on a critical hit, a stacking -1 penalty to saves against all magical effects for 1 round after each successful hit, and the weapon itself having hardness 66 and 30 HP base: all before adding Dwarvencrafted or another template, and any magic at all.

Prime32
2023-11-20, 04:15 PM
A katana crafted by the Kakita family (OA p127) is a nonmagical +2 weapon.

Grafts don't count as magic items, RAW even if you take a magic weapon and turn it into an illithid weapon graftFF.

The 3.5e update to Ghostwalk makes Truesilver a non-magical +1,000gp property which lets a weapon count as silver in additional to its normal material, as well as inflict crits and sneak attacks on Ghostwalk ghosts.

Not quite the same thing, but arguably a mind blade remains a magic weapon even in an area of antimagic (provided the soulknife succeeds on their Will save).

There's also the poison ring from Dragon magazine, an exotic melee weapon which nonmagically strikes as a touch attack. And of course, splash weapons for when you want that and energy damage.

EDIT: Arms & Equipment Guide also has the Gnome Crossbow Sight on p36 as a nonmagical upgrade to crossbows.
Page 54 also has stats for a hang glider which grants a non-magical glide speed of 30ft (poor); the better flying machines all reference magical components, though there's an apparently non-magical submarine.

Yogibear41
2023-11-20, 07:16 PM
The Arcanis 3rd party books have this, where there are nonmagical enhancement bonuses they don't stack with magic enh, don't beat dr/magic, but they are not affected by anti-magic at all.

Prime32
2023-11-20, 08:26 PM
The gnome artificer PrC (Magic of Faerun) can create non-magical devices which function like 50-charge wondrous items, including some which could be called weapons.

No XP cost, they can get up to a 90% gp discount by capping the charges at 5, adding multiple powers incurs the standard 25%/50% discount, and "rebuilding" an item empty of charges costs half as much as creating one you've never made before.
However they're also heavy, take up two body slots unless you double the price, and draw from a rather short "spell list" that can't be expanded.

SangoProduction
2023-11-20, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah! That's right.
The sphere's Technician class has a bunch of inventions, including direct weapons like Chemical Throwers and Lasers and Machineguns, as well as improvements therein.
There Tech sphere similarly helps.

Biggus
2023-11-20, 10:57 PM

But I've been wondering if there's anything already similar to this in baseline 3.5 or pf rules.

There's that exact thing: Dwarvencraft items are on page 159 of Races of Stone.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2023-11-20, 11:51 PM
Draconomicon has Dragonfang weapons which add 1 point of energy damage corresponding to the type of dragon whose bones were used to make it.

Mars Ultor
2023-11-21, 12:12 PM
I have similar items in my campaign, but they're not based on any rules. The elves make special bows using wood from sacred trees, with bowstrings made from the hair of elf-maidens. They're masterwork, plus they have longer range than ordinary bows.

The dwarves make boots that protect your feet from acid, water, fire, etc., plus the wearer's speed doesn't get reduced below 20 when wearing heavy armor. Each pair is custom made for the user. Dwarves also give their friends special medals to wear in their beards. Other dwarven communities recognize them and extend courtesies and the user will get a Charisma bonus when interacting with dwarves in general.

The halflings make a really great cast iron skillet, nothing sticks, ever. You can burn your food and it still wipes away immediately. They also make a variety of candles, some have marking or different color wax in layers so you can use them to tell time.

These aren't things that can be purchased, they're gifts given to people the elves or dwarves hold in esteem. The halflings sell their pans and candles, but they're expensive items.

Inevitability
2023-11-21, 01:35 PM
BoED has Serrenwood, which bestows nonmagical ghost touch on items made out of it.

Dalmosh
2023-11-21, 03:54 PM
Maybe not quite what you're going for, but Arms & Equipment Guide has a section on Alchemical items that mimic magic item effects, including oils that can be coated on to weapons. That said, weirdly you can't make Alchemical items in 3.5 without actually being a spellcaster, which kind of defeats the purpose.

ShurikVch
2023-11-27, 05:51 PM
Truesilver weapon special ability (Ghostwalk) is +0 (completely non-magical; costs fixed 1.000 gp to add)

Return to the Temple of the Frog adventure includes such things as blasters, grenade launchers, and power armor

Crake
2023-11-27, 06:14 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned cyrite, a material that allows weapons to overcome DR magic without being magically enhanced

Firest Kathon
2023-11-28, 05:03 AM
Pathfinder has technological items (https://www.aonprd.com/EquipmentTech.aspx), which function just fine in an antimagic field (unless they are some kind of magic/technology mix).

KillianHawkeye
2023-11-30, 12:42 PM
The D&D 3.0 book Arms & Equipment Guide had Baatorian green steel as a special material which granted a nonmagical +1 enhancement bonus to damage for slashing and piercing weapons. So you could have a masterwork green steel sword and it would be exactly equivalent to a +1 sword, but be completely nonmagical.

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-11-30, 12:47 PM
Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood has Devices which are this. They require somewhat expensive fuel cells to function (in addition to the items themselves), but you can make any magic item into a Device using the Create Device feat.You don't need to be a spellcaster to make Devices, or have spells or item creation feats (other than the Create Device feat), and fabricate should be able to make them more or less instantaneously from the raw materials. They can be used in AMFs, dead magic zones, and dead magic planes, which makes having Devices of certain effects (such as planar bubble on a dead magic plane, or water breathing on the Plane of Water) all but mandatory, depending on the situation.

Lots of fun and interesting little optimizations and abuses that can be done with these things.

ShurikVch
2023-12-03, 11:31 AM
AMF don't suppresses Constructs - thus, crafting custom sentient items - with useful (Ex) special abilities - is an option

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-12-03, 11:36 AM
AMF don't suppresses Constructs - thus, crafting custom sentient items - with useful (Ex) special abilities - is an optionIt does suppress some constructs, at least those created with the animate objects spell, the astral construct power, and similar. You aren't wrong for most such things; the statement just needed a bit of clarification.

If your campaign doesn't have magic/psionics transparency, psionic effects may not be suppressed in an AMF, and magical ones may not be suppressed in a NPF. And psionics isn't fully suppressed in dead magic zones in Faerun, as an example.