PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Blast Shape

SangoProduction
2023-11-20, 10:39 PM
In Spheres of Power, there is the Destruction sphere. And in that sphere, you have blast types, which dictate modifications to what the blast does (like setting people on fire, or have people tripping on acid), and blast shape, which dictates the area or targets of the blast (from a ball to a wall, we got it all).

So, in the Thanksgiving tradition, I wanted to not just how much I really enjoy this blast shape talent.
You may spend a spell point to create a destructive blast as an area effect, affecting your choice of either a 10-foot radius + 5 feet per 5 caster levels burst, a close-range cone, or a medium-range line, each emanating from yourself but excluding yourself from the effects. You do not need to make any attack roll for area attacks, but creatures in the effect are allowed a Reflex saving throw for half damage. These ranges are not increased by the Extended Range talent or similar effects.
This singular talent has made so many funky builds or character ideas completely playable.
Do you want a kobold, who's dream it is to be a dragon? Well, now you have breath weapons.
Do you want an inventor who can pull out crazy weapons? Well, you can have a literal machinegun mowing down an entire hall, or a flamethrower, or even a (centered-on-self) bomb, in one talent.
A demolitionist with shaped charges? You got it! Very large shaped charges. Probably not what you meant.
A destructive bard? Yeah. They all fit for different forms of sound-based destruction.

And many, many more. Most of which I forgot. (And even more, if you just... straight up appreciate the flexibility, even on standard mages.)

I don't take the talent on every character. but man, when I need a nice, flexible destruction sphere shape for my character concepts, this is the top of the list.