PDA

View Full Version : When players sit next to you

JusticeZero
2023-11-21, 04:37 PM
Looking at the logistics of running a game at a fast food restaurant in the area. One headache is that I can't rearrange furniture there, and it's narrow tables with people facing each other, so there's no way to create a space to keep notes at. Any thoughts on how to better run games when I can't have table space privacy? I tend to run off the cuff and improvised stuff, but that still leaves me needing a few notes, usually.

Batcathat
2023-11-21, 04:59 PM
The easiest solution seems like it would be some sort of screen, whether it is a "real" GM screen or just like a folded piece of cardboard. Or do you mean that the seats are close enough to each other that even something like that won't work? If so, the only thing I can think of is keeping your notes upside down or otherwise hidden and picking them up to read them, which admittedly wouldn't be ideal.

Atranen
2023-11-21, 05:00 PM
What's your concern? Players looking over your notes, tables, etc? I would try to seat someone you trust there. Then, place your notes facedown and only look at them when you have to.

Anymage
2023-11-21, 05:03 PM
How good is your laptop/tablet/phone? I get that electronics are not ideal, but they might be better than sprawling paper notes. A small notebook might also be useful in a pinch, but size can be a limit there.

Also, good luck on going this game going and hope you've found a good bunch for it.

DammitVictor
2023-11-21, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I would lean into the improvisational nature of the game, run with a lighter system that is easier to run on the fly... and then, whatever notes you need to keep, memorize in advance. If you need to keep notes during actual play, such as in combat, just don't count on that information being hidden... and keep them in shorthand.

Multiple colors of index card or sticky notes, where simple tally marks and "+bGa" mean different things based on which document they're written on.

Psyren
2023-11-27, 12:57 AM
+1 DM screen. Even if you don't actually plan on having much back there while you improv, it will add to the mystery for the players, who will end up thinking you have an entire library of notes and prep back there for all they know.

I would also get into the habit of jotting down random things back there while you run, even if you don't usually take notes very often. That way, when something important comes up that you do want to make a note of (e.g. something unexpected the players did that you want to build on, or a surprising twist you'd like to throw in later), it won't stand out to your players.

JellyPooga
2023-11-27, 02:15 AM
Smaller notes. Literally.

I've long GM'd in tighter spaces and quickly learned that keeping my "game night" notes tight and concise, on a smaller pad or notebook was the solution. I'd have a larger folder or binder that I would have more detailed notes, maps, etc. in, but that I would either leave at home or keep in a bag kept somewhere out of the way for reference only if required.

Come up with a personal shorthand. Decide on a stat-block layout for monsters and NPCs that takes up less space, only including relevant information (e.g. a shopkeeper isn't likely to need a full stat-block, if any stats at all!). Miniaturise your maps (if you use them) and other player aids. As DammitVictor points out, index cards can be a great tool here; if it doesn't fit on an index card, leave it at home!

Using a system that favours theatre of the mind, improvisation and less-is-more rules can help here too. For games in public spaces, having reams of paperwork, extensive character sheets, multiple books, maps and all the other paraphenalia that come with games like D&D or GURPS can feel intrusive to other people (i.e. non-players), as well as taking up a lot of space. Maybe lean toward a more rules-lite system like FATE, Savage Worlds or Wushu that focuses more on storytelling elements than hard rules and combat maps.

Eldan
2023-11-27, 03:29 AM
Agreed on smaller notes. Get a small notebook, only open it up when you need it.

Mastikator
2023-11-27, 03:51 AM
I use a folded out cardboard or DM screen. As well as a laptop.

Jay R
2023-11-27, 03:14 PM
My game notes are on a clipboard. When I put it down, I put it face down on the table.

gatorized
2023-11-27, 06:14 PM
Let them know that you have a rule that anyone who sits next to the DM has to hold hands with the DM for the entire session

Kardwill
2023-11-28, 04:16 AM
My first concern in a restaurant environment would be the noise, either from the restaurant (harder to communicate with the players) or from the gametable (disturbing the other customers). Keeping both of those in balance can be tricky, especially if you have older players (like me. My hearing has degraded in my 40s', and I'm now struggling to follow a conversation if there is too much background noise)

As for the notes, I'll +1 the others' suggestions : Play a lighter game (or a slimmed down version of a game you know well) and lighter adventures, with just a few notes, jotted down on a pad. Dungeons with complete maps, detailed room descriptions, rule splatbooks, and big statblocks will not mesh well with your new gaming environment. Nor will written modules that you have to read during the game, unless you memorise most of what you need beforehand or convert the important stuff to shorthand. Your scenario will have to fit in your head and on a few pages from a small notepad or some index cards.

Note that it's one of the few situations where having a small, patchy, ugly handwriting is actually an advantage. I know for a fact that my players can't read my notes :smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2023-11-28, 03:37 PM
Readers read; they can't help it. That's why the restaurants have ads for their desserts on the table. I can't keep myself from reading them.

So recognize that if your notes are in view, a competent reader who sees them will automatically absorb part of what they say without deciding to. They will have read a sentence or two before the question of reading them ever comes up. It's automatic.

So there are two approaches:
1. Don't let them see it. My notes are on a clipboard, and when I put it on the table, I put it face down.

That's the straightforward one. But there's another useful tool.

2. Bluff. On each page, write something exciting that's not going to happen. "In the second round, the red dragon swoops down and breathes fire on the party." Or "the floor collapses, and the PCs all fall 60 feet." Since the problem is that people automatically read, just put some things in your notes that will attract their attention from the small (real) stuff.

"The ogre uses his Rod of Rulership to control the party."
"The bridge is an illusion."
"The archers stay hidden until round three."

Anything more attention-grabbing than the ogre's statistics.

Years ago, I would have all the minis I needed in a game on a table beside me. I noticed one player couldn't avoid looking at them. So next game, I had a large red dragon in front. I don't think he ever noticed the gnolls, goblins, cultists, and rats.

KorvinStarmast
2023-11-29, 08:51 AM
Let them know that you have a rule that anyone who sits next to the DM has to hold hands with the DM for the entire session
Poor idea. That interferes with dice rolling. :smallyuk:

Lord Torath
2023-11-30, 10:36 AM
Clipboard with a cover page? That means you'll need to lift the cover to read your actual notes, which is a bit inconvenient. But your notes will not be subject to easy reading.
If you announce "Note Check" will your players reliably look away while you check? Maybe specify that the player who sits next to you must be willing to look away when you access your notes, and the other players can call him/her/them out if they sneak a peek while you;re busy reading/writing?

rel
2023-12-01, 02:08 AM
Put the notes on a face down page or in a closed notebook. When the time comes to refer to them treat them like cards and keep them close to your chest.