PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Interactive Storytelling: Interest testing

MerelBlackbird
2023-11-21, 06:13 PM
Anyone want to roleplay a (very) flexible story as a game? I was in one of these as a side player once, and they're really fun! Roughly, the rules are simple: Pick a name of the story, setting(I would do medieval fantasy), and start with 2-3 main players, a cast of at least 4, up to, say, 12 interested side characters (filling basic roles like soldiers, villagers, sidekicks, extra wizards, dragons, whatever is setting-appropriate).

The 2-3 main players decide together on an object (i.e. what the good guy will accomplish, what the bad guy will accomplish, who wins), and 3-4 scene's worth pf plot at a time. They then submit each segment and play it while interacting with the other players. If a player does very well and contributes good material, acting, and ideas, then they can choose to be another main, if the current mains agree on it. Audience participation is encouraged. Jumping on at any time is allowed.

More complicated rules would include things such as how far a side character is allowed to go off-plot, whether or not we will have "break/off canon" times to decide something right in the forum, just how powerful a character can be, what are the criteria for resisting magical or telepathic attacks, etc.

Even if you don't really want to play, you could ask someone who would, suggest a story title or world/country names, etc. Anything you think might be interesting would be appreciated.

kyoryu
2023-11-21, 06:40 PM
Have you ever seen Storium?

MerelBlackbird
2023-11-21, 07:44 PM
Have you ever seen Storium?

No, I haven't. I played this in an off-topic chess forum, of all things. Strange place for such a thing, but it was really popular. If Storium is something with a lot of this kind of thing, I'd like to hear more.