PDA

View Full Version : Help converting a character from Rifts to 5E

Mannwulf
2023-11-21, 07:06 PM
I don’t know if this has been addressed somewhere before or not, but I have a Rifts Cyber-Doc that I would like to convert to 5E. I am aware of the Savage Worlds books and have tried looking through the available info, but have seen no mention of the O.C.C. Cyber-Doc. Any help people could offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LibraryOgre
2023-11-21, 08:15 PM
Wow, that's a big change, there.

If you DO want to bounce off Savage Rifts, take a look at the MARS packages, starting on page 41 of the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide. All the "Dude with skills and nothing else special" classes are grouped under that.

However, if you're putting a Cyber-doc into 5e, your best starting points are either going to be a Rogue (though you might want dispensation or a subclass that allows you to apply expertise with healer's kits and the like), or, more likely an Artificer... again, likely with a subclass focused on healing and cybernetics, not one of the base classes.

Anymage
2023-11-21, 08:49 PM
You're going to be hard pressed to do a full translation because the worlds and rules engines are very different. If you can cover the bits you like about the archetype it'll be easier to help make the translation work.

Mannwulf
2023-11-22, 07:12 PM
You're going to be hard pressed to do a full translation because the worlds and rules engines are very different. If you can cover the bits you like about the archetype it'll be easier to help make the translation work.

The campaign is going to be multi-dimensional with interstellar travel. 5 players, each with a distinct role. My role is “ship doctor”. My character is a dog-boy (mutant), who specializes in bionics and limb (organ) repair/replacement. He has some knowledge of salvaging and recycling parts for emergency first-aid and surgery in the field. He has superhuman levels of intelligence and physical prowess (ie dexterity) but is average in every other respect.

Mannwulf
2023-11-22, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's a big change, there.

If you DO want to bounce off Savage Rifts, take a look at the MARS packages, starting on page 41 of the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide. All the "Dude with skills and nothing else special" classes are grouped under that.

However, if you're putting a Cyber-doc into 5e, your best starting points are either going to be a Rogue (though you might want dispensation or a subclass that allows you to apply expertise with healer's kits and the like), or, more likely an Artificer... again, likely with a subclass focused on healing and cybernetics, not one of the base classes.

Thanks. I’ll look into this and see where it leads me.My DM might have some more feedback based on what we find.

mucat
2023-11-23, 04:49 PM
My advice would be not to try a strict "conversion" at all; the systems, settings, and world feel are way too different for that. Instead, spend some time thinking about the character himself, his core personality and approach to his profession, and what it is that most makes him fun to play...then start from scratch to capture this same essence in the 5E rules.

I do agree with those who have said that the artificer class is a good platform to build on.