PDA

View Full Version : Need a Half Ogre/Dwarf Template

Surudoi
2007-12-11, 02:03 PM
As the title says i need a Half-dwarven Ogre. If any one can make a balence one that would be greatly appreciated.

The reason in need this race is because i have a new player in my Campain and thats what he wants so i said ok... so now i need a template for him... Thanks

Yeril
2007-12-11, 02:30 PM
Hmm Initial ideas.

+4 STR +8 CON -4 INT -4 CHA, +6 Natural Armor, Darkvision 60ft, Light Sensitivity. Size Medium, Powerful Build, Speed 30ft, Not Hampered by Armor, Stability.

LA I have no idea. 2HD of Giant and +1 looks good.

For this creature Im thinking a Blue Slaad in body-shape.

Duke of URL
2007-12-11, 02:36 PM
Why not just use the Half-Ogre template from Dragon #313 on the base dwarf? From Crystal Keep, it has:

Natural Armor +2
Str +4
Int –2
Cha –2
LA +1
Considered a Giant as well as its base creature type.
Darkvision 60'
Size is increased by one category, with all the appropriate changes to its ability scores, etc., plus a +10’ improvement to base movement. These changes are in addition to the bonuses and penalties listed.

Surudoi
2007-12-11, 02:47 PM
Thanks every one I might use Duke's

brian c
2007-12-11, 03:09 PM
Why not just use the Half-Ogre template from Dragon #313 on the base dwarf? From Crystal Keep, it has:

Natural Armor +2
Str +4
Int –2
Cha –2
LA +1
Considered a Giant as well as its base creature type.
Darkvision 60'
Size is increased by one category, with all the appropriate changes to its ability scores, etc., plus a +10’ improvement to base movement. These changes are in addition to the bonuses and penalties listed.

So in total, including the Dwarf, Half-Ogre and size changes, you get

+8 str
-2 Dex
-2 Int
-2 Cha
+2 Natural Armor
60ft darkvision
Large size, reach, 30ft speed (still dwarf-slow)
all normal dwarf traits (+saves, stonecunning, +4 being tripped, etc)

Seems to me like that might be +2 LA instead of just +1

Yeril
2007-12-11, 03:53 PM
So in total, including the Dwarf, Half-Ogre and size changes, you get

+8 str
-2 Dex
-2 Int
-2 Cha
+2 Natural Armor
60ft darkvision
Large size, reach, 30ft speed (still dwarf-slow)
all normal dwarf traits (+saves, stonecunning, +4 being tripped, etc)

Seems to me like that might be +2 LA instead of just +1

According to my Monster manual, going from Medium to Large is +8 Strength for a total +12?

FireSpark
2007-12-11, 05:32 PM
The best advice I can give would be to take the half-ogre and dwarf race entries, and then pick out about 1/3 of each race's defining attributes (whether it be ability score adjustments, physical abilities like darkvision, or racial skills like stone cunning). Then slap those two 1/3 thirds into your new half-dwarf/ogre. The remaining 1/3 should be unique to its particular lot in life. Just remember, that it shouldn't be as good at doing dwarf-things as dwarves are, nor ogre-things that ogres are, but it should have something that make half-ogres more unique than simply being a conglomeration of their heritage.

So maybe they're really strong and brawny, but not very agile or smart. And the finesse of crafting may be beyond them, but perhaps they are more martially adept than most give them credit for.

Just ideas, all I'm saying.

brian c
2007-12-11, 06:07 PM
According to my Monster manual, going from Medium to Large is +8 Strength for a total +12?

Oh, is it? I was just going by memory and thought it was +4. If it's a total of +12 strength and large size, that's definitely a LA +2

orcmonk89
2007-12-11, 06:13 PM
Whatever happens, I feel sorry for the mommy Dwarf... :smalleek:

brian c
2007-12-11, 06:41 PM
Whatever happens, I feel sorry for the mommy Dwarf... :smalleek:

Have you ever seen a female dwarf? I feel bad for the daddy ogre

FlyMolo
2007-12-11, 07:06 PM
I actually check in my copy of bastards and bloodlines to see if there was a dwarf/ogre.

No such luck. Dwarf/Roper. Ogre mage/Elf. but no Dwarf/Ogre. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Rigon
2007-12-11, 07:21 PM
I would say depending on where our Dwagre was living...

@Dwarfs.mine +4str, -2 dex, +2 con, -2int, -2cha, dwarven saves

@Ogres.cave +8str, -4 dex, +2 con, -2int, -4cha, +1 natural armor

and in both cases darkvision 60', giant subtype,

as for LA i dunno.

The Cap'n
2007-12-12, 12:19 AM
There is an Ogrekin template that can be applied to any humanoid in Paizo's Pathfinder #3: The Hook Mountain Massacre. An Ogrekin Dwarf would have something like +6 Str, +6 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha, would still be medium size, would still be considered a humanoid (not giant) and would retain it's Dwarven racial traits. It also would have two deformities, one advantageous and another disadvantageous, since Ogres in Paizo's Pathfinder setting are essentially in-bred hillbillies like those in Deliverance, The Hills Have Eyes, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and that one horrific episode of the X-files I've been trying to block out of my mind for most of a decade. I can't remember off hand what the LA of an Ogrekin is, but it wasn't higher than +2.

Definately worth checking out. Plus, Hook Mountain is a great adventure for 7th level PCs, and is something of a side-quest relative to the rest of the Adventure Path, so it could be run seperately.

In no way associated with Paizo,
The Cap'n

Gralamin
2007-12-12, 12:26 AM
Oh, is it? I was just going by memory and thought it was +4. If it's a total of +12 strength and large size, that's definitely a LA +2

You also forgot the Constitution bonus (a total of +6)